|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Conspiracy: Take the Crown (CN2)||Rare|
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Rare|
|Duel Decks: Phyrexia vs. The Coalition (DDE)||Rare|
|Ninth Edition (9ED)||Rare|
|Ninth Edition Foreign Black Border (9EDFBB)||Rare|
|Eighth Edition (8ED)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
At the beginning of your upkeep, you draw a card and you lose 1 life.
|Have (2)||metalmagic , Forkbeard|
|Want (10)||Otakufan64 , Samarox , vigorelli , theoneyednightwing , zilikken , geronzin , aolmenki , Forsetyr , SnappleCaptain , alphapaulo|
Phyrexian Arena Discussion
9 hours ago
So Scarab God is one of my favorite commanders so you're in luck. I have a lot of recommendations for you. Lets start off with creatures. Creatures: Though you want mostly zombie tribal, you do want a few largely impactful cards that you can discard into your graveyard and recast with The Scarab God . Some cards I'd recommend are Sheoldred, Whispering One , Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur , Sower of Discord <--- This card in combination with Paradox Haze + Wound Reflection make for an extremely quick kill for 2 people, Noxious Ghoul , Ghoulcaller Gisa , Eternal Skylord , Gleaming Overseer , Undead Alchemist , Corpse Connoisseur , Lord of the Accursed , Lich Lord of Unx and Gisa and Geralf
Lands: First of all your Crypt of the Eternals isn't legal in your deck as it has red mana. Now lands are usually the most expensive part of a deck but also the most important part of the deck. If you're willing to cough up the money or want to get proxies of them here's my recommendations: Cabal Coffers , Command Tower , Crypt of Agadeem , Fabled Passage , Field of the Dead , Myriad Landscape , Nephalia Drownyard , Phyrexian Tower , Polluted Delta , Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth , and Volrath's Stronghold . If you have a way of making a proxy I'd also recommend Underground Sea because this card is ridiculously expensive. Then equalize your basic lands a bit more with 13-14 swamps and 7-8 islands.
Sorceries/Instants: My recommendation is remove all of your instants and sorceries with the exception of From Under the Floorboards , Syphon Flesh , Army of the Damned and Zombie Apocalypse . Now simply replace them with Restless Dreams , Mind Bomb and Careful Study so you have more discard outlets.
Artifacts/Mana Dorks: Most of your artifacts and mana dorks are good but could use some tuning. My recommendation is to swap Dimir Locket with Dimir Signet . Swap Prismatic Lens with Arcane Signet . Swap Star Compass with Commander's Sphere . Swap Charcoal Diamond with Darksteel Ingot . Then as an alternate win condition, you can toss in a Mindcrank and Strionic Resonator to mill your opponents as they take damage and then allowing you to double Scarab Gods ability.
Enchantments: You're missing out on some amazing potential with enchantments. Keep all of the ones you have but think about replacing Monastery Siege with a Rhystic Study or The Immortal Sun . Now I'm just gonna list off a lot of enchantments for you that work wonders in this style of deck. Pick and choose which ones you want: Tortured Existence , Zombie Infestation , Curse of Disturbance , Phyrexian Arena , Grave Pact , No Mercy , Dictate of Erebos , Liliana's Mastery , Open the Graves , Rooftop Storm <-- this one is a must have. Wound Reflection and finally Grave Betrayal . Your Endless Ranks of the Dead is new to me btw and I'll definitely be adding that one into my Scarab God deck. That thing is nuts.
Lastly your Maybeboard, the only cards I'd recommend putting in is Torment of Hailfire and Grave Titan . The rest are either unnecessary or do more harm than good. Though if you do want a planeswalker I'd highly recommend Liliana, Untouched By Death . She synergizes with the deck extremely well, especially if you have Rooftop Storm on the battlefield because now you can just recast everything from your graveyard for free.
4 days ago
Here are some suggestions:
You would probably benefit the most from a better ramp-package. Since you don't want to bother buying expensive lands, I'd recommend signets (which are really good for fixing colors) and talismans: Orzhov Signet , Azorius Signet , Dimir Signet , Talisman of Progress , Talisman of Dominance , Talisman of Hierarchy , & Smothering Tithe has powerful potential as well.
Ponder and Preordain are extremely powerful in helping you fix colors in the early game. They allow you to dig for the right lands. They're also good at any point in a game. Gitaxian Probe is easy to cast (at basically no cost) since you gain life.
Speaking of life-gain, you have some good ways to gain but no payoffs for it. Alhammarret's Archive seems to combo well with your general. Other ones that come to mind are Graveborn Muse , Greed , and Necropotence
I'd cut Crush Dissent and No Escape for cheaper counterspells. Lower CMC instants give you more opportunities to use them. Swan Song is BROKEN. Counterspell is good. Dispel is amazing but only if you feel your meta is threatening you with counter magic of their own. Muddle the Mixture and Narset's Reversal are unreal. Sometimes you'll misplay them though - they require some experience.
6 days ago
Cool build bro. Definitely a +1 from me!
My only advice is more card draw. You're cheating Mana cost with this deck which means you're playing out your hand faster than most, which in turn means you need more card draw than most to really be consistent and also have those explosive turns this commander is typically so good at.
Luckily for you black has some great options! You are already have 3 of the best BUT Phyrexian Arena , Disciple of Bolas , and Necropotence are the only reliable sources you have. Vilis, Broker of Blood is an incredible card but should not be considered as a reliable source of card draw, but more of a win con for the late game. Bloodgift Demon is also a really cool card but he's a body that your deck won't even use since it doesn't win by combat, and 5 Mana to draw a card next turn isn't worth it. You should have AT LEAST 10 reliable sources that can be viable in the early AND late game!
Here are a few more to consider:
Those are some incredible cards but if you'd like some more ideas, check out this list that some people put together on tapped out: List of EDH Draw Cards
Its a list of all relevant draw cards in EDH.
Hope this helped!
1 week ago
Your deck inspired me to make a version of my own! I saw the Secret Lair alt art coming out and just had to make a deck around it.
Here's some suggestions I have:
Kindred Discovery - Staple in tribal decks that'll draw you plenty.
Phyrexian Arena - Good draw, life is a resource.
Vanquisher's Banner - A lord for your tribe and a draw on summon.
Toxic Deluge - Best boardwipe in the game. Your commander already destroys permanents but this gets around indestructible. Neat huh?
Blasphemous Act - Another boardwipe that gets around indestructible. Since your build is more so token oriented, you shouldn't have a problem resolving this for the low.
Patriarch's Bidding - Bring back your tribe and then some! You can call any creature type, so why not bring back some of your other tribal support too? Ex: Calling slivers would bring back your changelings and the sliver lords.
1 week ago
Hey xaarvaxus Nice thanks man, I forgot about Supreme Will but that is a great suggestion! I'm definitely not running Thieves' Fortune for the prowl cost haha. It's just another instant speed cantrip that can setup my Tunnel Vision , so getting a mana leak attached to it would definitely be a plus.
The Chainer suggestion is interesting, I have to think about that one. The plan is to win on one trigger of Gray Merchant in combination with my other creatures' triggers. All my other black creatures punish my opponents for having creatures ETB from my Living Death and deal additional damage as a result.
1 week ago
Thieves' Fortune could be upgraded with Supreme Will . Essentially the same cost as the chance of triggering prowl is almost non-existent, has the Impulse effect you are looking for plus you have another potential [weak] counterspell in the decklist.
A couple of non-creature permanents to add to your devotion could be useful here; No Mercy , Phyrexian Arena and/or Necropotence or a mono-black planeswalker like Ob Nixilis Reignited . Sorry these aren't the most budget of suggestions...
1 week ago
so the way I see it you're actually quite close (33 basic lands means 25 basic lands brings you up to 82)
- Zephyr Sprite (basic 1 drop flyer, but a 1 drop flyer is good on its own)
- Wydwen, the Biting Gale (3/3 flyer with an ability that gives you bounce to save itself or add faerie casts)
- Wasp Lancer (3 mana faerie flyer, that's it)
- Vendilion Clique (ok, pricey but a good way to say no to an incoming problem)
- Thieving Sprite (another way to say no to an incoming threat)
- Silkbind Faerie (untap effects are very exploitable, although often rare)
- Silkbind Faerie (easy to be a 3/3 flying vigilance for 3)
- Ringskipper (this one is kinda mostly filler but could be obnoxious to get rid of)
- Quickling (ok I think this is a diamond in the rough, 2 mana, get a body AND save a faerie from impending doom)
- Oona's Gatewarden (i know defender BUT WITHER IS SUCH A GOOD MECHANIC)
- Nightveil Sprite (2 mana 1/2 flyer that lets you look at the top card of your library, with the option to toss)
- Mistbind Clique (forcing your opponent into an all out play can create quite the opening, timing it before the end of a phase limits their options on what they can do with all that mana)
- Metropolis Sprite (With anthems that ability could be nasty, especially since early game flyers are often going unblocked)
- Knacksaw Clique (I hate myself for suggesting this monster of a card but even if you aren't stealing their cards, your permanently removing them and that's just nasty)
- Faerie Vandal (drawing 2 cards in a turn isnt hard in blue, so in many cases it will get +1/+1 every turn)
- Faerie Mechanist (counts as an artifact AND sifts for more)
- Fae of Wishes (that adventure lets you pull solutions out of thin air)
- Eye Collector (1/1 with a decent ability)
- Brazen Borrower (again not budget but another great adventure)
- Faerie Guidemother (1 drop white with an ok adventure option)
- Phyrexian Metamorph (clone that can hit artifacts always good, especially in EDH)
- Glorious Anthem (aka the namesake for all anthems)
- Dictate of Heliod (double anthem with flash)
- Marshal's Anthem (but pricey mana wise but potent)
- Kindred Boon (not an anthem but...it's a bit slow but indestructible is nasty)
- Kindred Discovery (also not an anthem but CAAAAAARRRRD DRAW)
- All That Glitters (potent aura in your deck, slap it on Alela for quick win)
- Mirrormade (MORE CLOOOOOONESSS but for artifact or enchantment)
- Bident of Thassa (caaaaaaaarrrrddd draaaaawwww)
- Skullclamp (mooooorrreeeee caaaard draaaaawwww)
- Smothering Tithe (this guy is broken in EDH)
- Coastal Piracy ( heavy breathing CAAAAAAAAAAARRRRDD DRAAAW)
- Blind Obedience (good control enchantment)
- insert every flavor of mana rocks here
- Mortify (reeeemoval)
- Path to Exile (more removal)
- Swords to Plowshares (did I mention removal is important)
- Generous Gift (echo echo echo)
- Vindicate (I remember when this was like a 20$ card)
- Ghostly Prison (the best defense is actually having defense)
- Utter End (hits anything but land and its gone for good)
- Disenchant (technically the OG naturalize)
- Diabolic Tutor (like demonic tutor only not 25$)
- Open the Vaults (wow that was a nasty Nevinyrral's Disk wouldn't it be a shame if it didn't stick)
- Propaganda (Ghostly Prison but blue)
- Sphere of Safety (ghostly prison but gets really out of hand fast)
- Darksteel Mutation (this card is evil)
- Imprisoned in the Moon (that’s a nice land ya got there)
- Frogify (MAKE THAT COMMANDER A FROG)
- Phyrexian Arena (card draw, but black)
- Aura of Silence (because only you can have artifacts and enchantments)
- Dispeller's Capsule (disenchant on a stick)
- Norn's Annex (phyrexian ghostly prison)
- Notorious Throng (TURN THAT PAIN INTO FRIENDS))
- Wrath of God (NUKE UM NUKE UM)
- Fumigate (Moooore NUUUKES)
- Oblivion Ring (say no, now with enchantments)
- Detention Sphere (kill all of one type of token, or remove all the sol rings, you know for shits and giggles)
- Karmic Justice (blow up my stuff i blow you up)
- Land Tax (ok not budget but reeeeaaaallly nice for lands outside of green)
- Grasp of Fate (o ring but for each opponent)
- Attrition (you should have tons of minions so sacking some for removal is value)
- True Conviction (one of my favorite big nasty enchantments)
- Akroma's Memorial (most of the times this hits the field it's over)
- Jace Beleren (og jace is nice)
1 week ago
You're off to a great start! I would recommend a bit more ramp though. Karlov draws a lot of hate, and rightfully so, so even though he's 2 CMC you'll have to recast him a fair amount. You're at 5 ramp pieces right now but I always aim for 8 in my decks, give or take a few depending on the curve of the deck. Crypt Ghast is great but expensive and delicate so it's worth running but can be unreliable. Try Wayfarer's Bauble , Star Compass , Prismatic Lens , Mind Stone , and/or Worn Powerstone .
One thing many new EDH-deck builders stumble on is not enough interaction/removal. It's usually best to focus on building your own board state than tearing down others but having some removal is very important still. I love it when I have a deck that can support heavy removal. That said, I think you might have a bit too much, especially considering you have removal in the Command Zone. Definitely keep all the enchantment/artifact removal you can (enchantments are some of the most powerful things in commander and the hardest to remove). I like the exile effects, since recursion is so common. Check out Return to Dust and Forsake the Worldly . Running 2-6 board wipes is great and you're there already.
I'd recommend replacing a few targeted-creature removal cards with some more utility cards, partucularly draw spells. Greed and Well of Lost Dreams are awesome. Try Read the Bones , Ancient Craving , Ambition's Cost , Phyrexian Arena , Arguel's Blood Fast Flip, Erebos, God of the Dead , and Promise of Power .
Rhystic Tutor is a trap. I'd drop it.
Phyrexian Arena occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.04%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.15%
WB (Orzhov): 0.98%
WUB (Esper): 0.67%
RBW (Mardu): 1.01%