Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Obelisk of Urd
Convoke (You may tap your creatures as you cast this spell. Each creature you tap while casting this spell reduces its cost by or by one mana of that creature's colour.)
As Obelisk of Urd enters the battlefield, choose a creature type.
Creatures you control of the chosen type get +2/+2.
8 months ago
My favorite part of Urtet is untapping all the Myrs and finding ways to take advantage of that. To that end, I think Improvise is a great mechanic in this deck (Kappa Cannoneer and Organic Extinction are great examples already in the decklist). Since the artifacts are also creatures, Convoke can be similarly powerful. Both are even more powerful in your list since you are also running cards like Drumbellower and Unwinding Clock.
I mentioned some good Improvise cards in a previous comment, but here are some more fun possibilities:
- Whir of Invention - 3 blue pips is tough, but perhaps worth it if leaning into blue and you like tutors
- Saheeli's Directive - 3 red pips this time, but perhaps the upside is worth it?
- Battle at the Bridge - likely just one black mana to get rid of a creature, even if it has indestructible
And here are some possible Convoke cards:
- Obelisk of Urd - often "free" while pumping all your Myrs, which can still untap after the Convoke and attack with the pump that same turn thanks to Urtet
- Return to the Ranks - get back a bunch of 2-mana creatures (I would likely want to pack a few more in the deck to make it worth it, but something to consider)
- Endless Obedience - recursion from anyone's graveyard
- Unmake the Graves - more recursion
- Ephemeral Shields - protection for Urtet
- Overwhelm - the creatures you tap for the Convoke will get the buff and can still attack thanks to Urtet
- Lethal Scheme - destroy a creature or planeswalker while improving your hand with Connive
- Mob - cheap creature removal
- Sundering Vitae - cheap artifact/enchantment removal
- Sprouting Renewal - more cheap artifact/enchantment removal (maybe you want the token sometimes?)
- Venerated Loxodon - a 4/4 body that gives a +1/+1 counter to every creature that Convokes it; seems especially decent since you are also running cards like Hardened Scales and Doubling Season
8 months ago
Hey, well done so far, but I think you overestimate needing so many buffs (anthems).
All the artifacts for anthem effects is overkill, you have tutors that can get the better anthem. Adding more repeatable draw sources can do more for gameplay than anthems because more reliable draw helps to draw the better anthems. Coat of Arms, Eldrazi Monument and The Immortal Sun are much better than the other artifact anthems here.
In my opinion anthem effects to be worth playing need to also have card quality for the mana cost. Instruments of War and Hall of Triumph are bad cards, only providing a small anthem effect nothing else for their mana cost isn't good enough to take deck spots. Obelisk of Urd is subpar, but at least it can be mana cost reduced even to 0 with Zombies. Bad Moon is only 2 mana, but there's greater two drops that have much better card quality. Heraldic Banner can be a mana rock, but even so you can do better for a three drop.
Adaptive Automaton is a creature who Gisa can sac and who can be a Zombie lord (anthem), but it's a bad card compared to all other Zombie lords who provide another good repeatable effect. Icon of Ancestry and Vanquisher's Banner aren't worth it since there's too many nonZombie creatures here. You can get more reliable repeatable draw from other sources.
You have Crypt Ghast, Cabal Coffers and tutors to get them, you don't need Caged Sun and Gauntlet of Power mana effects. These cards are better in mono white, red or blue because these colors can really use the mana ramp. Liliana's Mastery is a very low budget five drop for Zombies, not needed here.
There's several cards in the maybeboard to consider adding main deck if you have them. Areas to focus on improving with cards from the maybeboard are early game ramp, repeatable draw for only you, reanimation and more Zombie evasion.
- Dark Ritual, Ashnod's Altar
- Braids, Arisen Nightmare, Species Specialist
- Reanimate, Animate Dead, Altar of Bhaal
- Zombie Master
Other cards to consider adding from the maybeboard.
- Champion of the Perished, Plague Belcher
- Phyrexian Dreadnought
- Zulaport Cutthroat
- Pitiless Plunderer
- Grave Pact
- Dreadhorde Invasion, Grave Titan
Some cards to consider cutting:
- Instruments of War, Hall of Triumph, Obelisk of Urd, Bad Moon
- Adaptive Automaton, Icon of Ancestry, Liliana's Mastery, Vanquisher's Banner
- Caged Sun, Gauntlet of Power
- Temple Bell, Howling Mine
- Yargle, Glutton of Urborg
- Death-Priest of Myrkul
Good luck with your deck.
8 months ago
There’s a few in white / blue (zombie colors)
11 months ago
If you boss is getting whacked Blessing of Leeches is nice defense.
Astarion's Thirst is thematic and can make your boss a beast.
Blood Tribute is terrifying.
Anowon's ability is a triggered effect so if you double the trigger (with Strionic Resonator of any of a few other artifacts) you make people sac twice as many creatures.
11 months ago
Cool idea. I personally would build this more into Plant tribal than land shenanigans, but there are a few cards that I think would work really well in your build, too:
- Creeperhulk can pick up +1/+1 counters from your general and buff up your plant tokens to have another go-wide pump.
- Arachnoform, Amorphous Axe, and/or Runed Stalactite can let you put counters on any of your creatures with your general. Same with Maskwood Nexus, but that option is a little slower.
- Mana Echoes can be some nuts ramp when you're making lots of plants simultaneously.
- Coat of Arms and Obelisk of Urd can give some great static pumps.
- Tribal Unity can give a surprise knockout with your existing ramp and go-wide strats. It also pumps creatures your opponents' control and can be a cheeky dogpile play when there's a dedicated tribal or token strat at the table.
1 year ago
RinceRaven on krenko
1 year ago
Alright alright so I got asked to give a bunch of suggestions so here we go. Hoo boy. Gonna try to keep most suggestions low on budget but will include the best slightly expensive cards. Should also mention I got a lot of things I know from this primer, cheers. https://deckstats.net/decks/82803/752805-competitive-krenko/en
First the draw pieces you missed: Rundvelt Hordemaster, Dark-Dweller Oracle, Skullclamp, Subira, Tulzidi Caravanner, Reforge the Soul, Conspicuous Snoop, You Find Some Prisoners. The only actual good ones you got in this draft are Idol of Oblivion and Wheel of Misfortune imo, though most are servicable.
Next up ramp: Mana doublers are too slow for a deck as fast as Krenko, and you don't have the card draw to support such cards in mono-red. Not really. Also with the 4 mana commander having 2 mana ramp becomes much, much more valued. Cheering Fanatic, Liquimetal Torque, Generator Servant, Wily Goblin, Infernal Plunge, Fire Diamond (Yes I know, I think it's fine here).
Haste: Giving Krenko (and his tokens) haste literally puts you a turn ahead over not having it. Crashing Drawbridge, Ashling's Prerogative (Even gives tokens haste too), Generator Servant (multipurpose? Whoa), Goblin Chieftain, Goblin Motivator, Lightning Greaves, Mass Hysteria, Thousand-Year Elixir (tad pricey but repeatable Krenko seems good) Bloodlust Inciter.
Wincons: gotta end the game somehow. Combo's are good: Breath of Fury, Staff of Domination, Thornbite Staff, Umbral Mantle are the best combo lines for Krenko afaik. If not/next to combo, we have good old damage: Coat of Arms, Eldrazi Monument, Impact Tremors, Obelisk of Urd, Skirk Fire Marshal, Purphoros, God of the Forge, Shared Animosity, Devilish Valet, Quest for the Goblin Lord, Throne of the God-Pharaoh.
If we let our opponents do whatever they want we'll have trouble winning, even with our speed. Luckily red has quite some options. Don't forget Liquimetal Torque can turn things into artifacts so we can shoot them easier. Abrade, Chaos Warp, Gempalm Incinerator (great removal spell, terrible creature), Goblin Assassin (wipes the floor with creature decks), Goblin Bombardment, Goblin Cratermaker, Goblin Sharpshooter, Goblin Trashmaster, Goblin Welder (hits opponents too), Mogg Salvage, Pashalik Mons, Skirk Fire Marshal (your board survives this with Coat of Arms or Eldrazi Monument), Furystoke Giant, Shattering Spree, better than Vandalblast, Wild Magic Surge.
I'm tired and my brain is dying so here's a dump of things I forgot or for didn't have a place to mentioned yet :)
Heirloom Blade, Chandra, Torch of Defiance, Blood Moon, Brash Taunter, Impulsive Pilferer, Jeska's Will, Goblin Chirurgeon, Goblin Sledder, Mogg Raider, Pyroblast, Red Elemental Blast, Tibalt's Trickery, Mogg War Marshal, Legion Loyalist, Legion Warboss, Brash Taunter, Fable of the Mirror-Breaker Flip, Hobgoblin Bandit Lord, Muxus, Goblin Grandee (idk at what math this is good I'm sure someone did it already somewhere on the internet), Siege-Gang Commander, Zo-Zu the Punisher, Goblin Ringleader, Goblin Piledriver, Arms Dealer, Grotag Night-Runner, Goblin King (get 5th or 6th edition art btw).
Good luck on figuring things out. I'm off to bed
1 year ago
Always lovely to see treefolk tribal :)
Lignify is a really cool removal option that fits right into the flavor you already have established here. I especially like it against other commanders since it’s one of the few ways to effectively remove them without giving your opponents an option to return it back to the command zone.
In general I find tribal tough to build uniquely since so many of the anthem effects are expensive, highly used artifacts like Coat of Arms, Door of Destinies, Herald's Horn, Obelisk of Urd, Vanquisher's Banner, Icon of Ancestry, all of which I’m guessing you wouldn’t be interested in.
Belbe's Portal is kinda neat and I don’t see often; flavorfully, it doesn’t really match but mechanically it might synergize?