Cumulative upkeep (1)(Black)
At the beginning of each upkeep, if Tombstone Stairwell is in play, each player puts into play a 2/2 black Zombie creature token with haste named Tombspawn for each creature card in his or her graveyard.
At end of turn or when Tombstone Stairwell leaves the battlefield, destroy all tokens put into play with it. They can't be regenerated.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Tombstone Stairwell occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Tombstone Stairwell Discussion
1 week ago
Sweet list I also have a balthor zombie tribal, you should look into Tombstone Stairwell as another win con. Plague Belcher is also another vengeful dead and might be worth adding. Stairwell combos with vengeful dead and plague belcher and also with noxious ghoul
1 month ago
seshiro_of_the_orochi Thank you for the complement. I am still in the planning stages of the deck. I have yet to go out and buy any of the cards (mostly because I just bought a house). Assault Suit was considered, however I would have to suit up one of my creatures and give it away. If I could suit up an opponents' creature like I can with Bloodthirsty Blade , than it would be an auto include, but sadly Wizards won't let me equip cards to my opponents' creatures. I really considered Varragoth, Bloodsky Sire for the deck as I could use Varragoth to attack open opponents and tutor up with I need or have someone else do search for answers we need, but I feel I would never get to use Varragoth for people would remove Varragoth instantly. Single target removal has been increasing lately and Varragoth is a prime target.
YourNeighborhoodGhost Thank you for the suggestions. I couldn't remember or find the Tempt with Vengeance or Rite of the Raging Storm cards, but I knew they existed. I want to add Massacre Wurm to the deck. Tombstone Stairwell would be a nice gift card, but the cumulative upkeep is turning me off of it. Awaken the Erstwhile would make me discard, and I hate to lose my resources. I could play it when I have no hand or cards I don't need, but that's too situational. I see no point in running Deathbringer Thoctar in this deck. Yes it will get massive fast, and can ping by ditching a counter, but by the time I can actually do massive damage with it, the game should be over by then. Six mana is a lot for a 3/3 body for this deck.
1 month ago
just some ideas im running in my thantis deck: Tombstone Stairwell , Awaken the Erstwhile , Deathbringer Thoctar , Tempt with Vengeance , Massacre Wurm , Rite of the Raging Storm could fit. btw nice deck
1 month ago
1 month ago
1 month ago
2 months ago
Hello again FenIsABasicSwamp. Not sure if you remember me, but I was the one that was building a Haakon deck around the same time you were (a little after). I also had a GoT theme but went more discard. I've been out of the magic scene for a bit but I was coming back to check out your deck because I am trying to revamp my version. I am still amazed at this deck as it truly does everything that I love in Magic. If I could upvote this twice I definitely would. I have some questions for you if that's alright.
2) How relevant has Emergence Zone been?
3) Why fetches in a mono-colored deck? I understand filtering, but you only play two and it seems you have a lot of draw.
4) Has K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth earned his place? Also, how do you supplement the lifeloss? I see some lifelink (and he has it as well) but have you ever needed to worry about the life lost from using him? Do you try to win before this is a problem?
6) Is Bitterblossom not worthwhile for the Contamination combo? If not, how come? I see Winter Orb in the sideboard so it seems like you may want to lockdown in some cases to ensure the deck gets to the mid-to-late game.
7) I know that Sidisi, Undead Vizier can be a repeatable tutor, but how come you don't play more tutors like Vampiric Tutor, Imperial Seal or even Increasing Ambition? (Unless money is a factor)? Also, why no Razaketh, the Foulblooded? Especially with the token generation factor.
9) Null Profusion is a card I've always meant to try, but the limit of two cards has always deterred me. How has it played for you? Staple? Needed? Just okay?
10) I'm SURE I'm missing something with Yawgmoth, Thran Physician, but he seems "off" to me in your list. You have enough draw to not worry about losing life and sacking a creature that can be sacked to other things. What does he bring to this kind of build?
11) Is the dredge from Stinkweed Imp needed? Do you constantly dredge whenever you can or is there a time and place?
14) Has Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger's cast trigger been enough non-creature removal? I saw the comment about Feed the Swarm so I won't suggest it, but what about Oblivion Stone, All Is Dust, and even Scour from Existence? If they're not needed, how come?
I read your Bio. I understand that your specifically chose not to use some of the cards and combos I've listed here. I hope that my questions come across as curiosity, not "you should do this and do that."
I know I've asked a lot of questions in this on comment, but if you could do me one more thing. Since you like underrated themes and/or commanders would you be willing to take a look at my Rakdos the Defiler deck? He is one I built early in my Magic career, purely for a theme, and without a template. He has become a powerful deck since and I'd love to hear your thoughts!
3 months ago
Phenax self-mill was my first build, and I spent a couple years tuning it. A fun card to play with self-mill is Tombstone Stairwell. I have milled out the entire table to win several games. I am in the process of updating all my commander decks but when I get to that one I'll add it on this site too.