Kicker (You may pay an additional as you cast this spell.)
Destroy target creature or planeswalker with converted mana cost 2 or less. If this spell was kicked, instead destroy target creature or planeswalker.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Bloodchief's Thirst Discussion
4 days ago
Danny66 Hey, thanks! I'm glad you like them. GB Rock is part of an archetype of decks called "Midrange" that generally seeks to win the mid-game with value-generating cards and efficient threats. Black-based midrange decks like this one typically use discard spells like Inquisition of Kozilek and efficient removal spells like Bloodchief's Thirst to slow the opponent down, then establishes a big threat such as Longtusk Cub to beat 'em down or something that makes a lot of value like Glint-Sleeve Siphoner and Nissa, Voice of Zendikar .
5 days ago
Is there any reason for only 2 Bolts?
How has Liliana, the Last Hope been working for you?
2 weeks ago
I've always wanted to build a braids modern deck, but casting a 4 drop in a smallpox deck always seemed a bit risky to me, while running braids without smallpox always seemed too slow. Here are my comments on your list:
You have some cards that don't add enough to your gameplan.
1) Greater Harvester looks cute, but it sucks. A static ability that only affects you, while the only way for it to cause your opponent to sacrifice stuff is to deal combat damage with a 5/6 vanilla creature without any evasion or trample or anything. Even with Braids wiping your opponent's board this card will definitely hurt you more than them. World Queller is still pretty expensive, but has a much nicer effect that lets you choose the permanent type. I probably wouldn't run either but having another 5 cmc Braids is cool.
3) I know you run Thalia, Guardian of Thraben to tax your opponents and make it even harder for them to cast spells along with braids, but you have so many noncreature spells that it's probably not that good here either.
4) Leyline of the Meek synergizes with your token plan, but doesn't help you stretch out the game, deny your opponent resources, or create more tokens for yourself. If you really want to play something to buff your tokens I'd use Intangible Virtue , but I don't recommend it.
5) Timely Reinforcements definitely doesn't fit here. There's a reason it usually isn't played in decks with a lot of other token producers - because then its effect would be useless. Add in braids wiping the opponent's creatures and it becomes even worse. 4 Souls + 4 BB already seems like a good token package to me. It could maybe be a one-of in the sideboard though against hyper-aggressive decks.
6) Cabal Coffers is very questionable, since your land count is probably not going to be that high. If you are going to keep it, definitely add more Urborgs. Also 25 lands is a little high even for a pox deck like this one, I think 24 is the perfect number.
7) Crucible of Worlds does have nice synergy with sacrificing lands (and replaying Flagstones is pretty cool) but a lot of the time you would probably be sacrificing tokens instead. I don't think the card is that great here unless you have Flagstones of Trokair on the field, so if you need space for other cards I would recommend cutting these.
You should probably have more early game resource denial, lower your mana curve, and have more pieces that break symmetry.
1) Braids is a four drop, and doesn't have any impact on the board unless she survives a turn. You definitely need something early game that has a similar effect to braids. I don't think this deck can function without 4x Smallpox .
2) 4x Flagstones of Trokair . No questions asked. Also 2-3 Urborgs (esp if you keep Cabal Coffers). T1 Urborg, Inquisition/Thoughtseize into T2 flagstones + smallpox is backbreaking.
3) Bloodghast gives something to discard to pox, and you can repeatedly sacrifice it to braids as well. Nether Spirit is another option but I don't think it works well here.
4) Multiples of Braids suck, so I'd go down to 3 copies.
5) You could consider Sedgemoor Witch as a token producer instead of Bitterblossom. Not quite as sure about this one; it does something even if you only use the tokens to feed braids and gains life while BB loses life, but it also costs 1 more mana and acts as a juicy removal target. However, with braids on the field you already have removal targets so it probably isn't as much of an issue as it seems.
Your only early game disruption is Thoughtseize. This is definitely not enough.
1) I'd run 6-8 discard spells total between Thoughtseize and Inquisition of Kozilek . Honestly, In my opinion the best is a 4 IoK/2 Seize split, since IoK is better early game and you should be able to prevent your opponent from casting 4+ cmc spells anyways.
2) I understand that you are running Vindicate so you can blow up your opponent's lands, but you should definitely have some cheaper removal. I'd probably cut one and run 2-3 Fatal Push . Bloodchief's Thirst or Prismatic Ending could also work, just anything that isn't Path to Exile .
About the sideboard cards
2) Some boardwipes are probably needed, even though they don't synergize that well with tokens or braids. Without them, you'll just get run over by aggressive decks. Best ones are Damn and Bontu's Last Reckoning (first one is more of a 1-2x mainboard card, while second one is probably a 2-of in the sideboard).
2 weeks ago
I agree with hungry that Field of Ruin is generally better than Ghost Quarter because, even though it's more mana intensive, it forces your opp to search while also giving the crabs a landfall trigger. Even if your opponent suspects an archive trap, they will always search for a basic land unless it's mid game and their deck is running low. And if it's midgame then Field is clearly better anyways.
About the sideboard, why are there B spells ( Bloodchief's Thirst , Crypt Incursion , Fatal Push , Thoughtseize , Wishclaw Talisman ) when you have no B lands? It looks like you guys switched from a UB build to mono U with the addition of Demilich , Fractured Sanity , Counterspell , and Tasha's Hideous Laughter . Honestly, I think Drown in the Loch clearly outclasses both Spell Pierce and Counterspell mainboard. Vedalken Shackles doesn't look very useful either, and could be replaced with Push mainboard. If you update the sideboard to stay mono U, Profane Memento can sort of replace Crypt Incursion .
1 month ago
1 month ago
These are all generally good cards, but the splits are going to make having the cards you want at any given time more difficult; I'd suggest focusing in on which cards you find most useful and trimming the others.
For example: I'd definitely go up to 4x Spellstutter Sprite , and cut The Elderspell for something else like Bloodchief's Thirst or Eliminate . The 1-of Cryptic and Grief probably aren't doing much, either; since T1 is important, and this isn't a deck that necessarily wants to go down on cards, I'd swap in another 1-CMC discard spell over Grief .
I'd also swap Clique for a second Borrower; you can still bounce a Bitterblossom , if needed, but Borrower is a more generally useful card at 2/3CMC.
1 month ago
Drown is so, so good. Less so with prowess dwindling, but it's one of my favorite recent cards.
Also, with 5 islands, it might be worth subbing one for one of the MDFC lands - especially with E-Wit to rebuy them. Then again, 21 lands makes getting to cryptic a bit tougher, so perhaps taplands aren't the way to go.
I also like some of the other flexible removal spells over Trophy, speaking for myself; Bloodchief's Thirst , Baleful Mastery , etc. For most of the meta, giving them extra lands just really, really hurts.
1 month ago
Hi. I love UB control archetype so I would like to give my 2 cents. So I'll hope that this helps/gives new ideas ^_^
I think your deck at the moment has unnecessary tap lands. Halimar Depths Vivid Marsh and Polluted Mire and Lonely Sandbar . I would recommend trying Mystic Sanctuary , Sunken Ruins , Field of Ruin , Fabled Passage or Castle Vantress . Karakas is also viable option even though it acts like colorless land in UB.
I also need to recommend Search for Azcanta Flip because it can win control mirrors almost by itself. Shark Typhoon and Omen of the Sea are my personal additions usually because both of them are 2 for 1 effects.
For sorcerys I have not been impressed with Yahenni's Expertise and I have played Shadows' Verdict and/or Dead of Winter instead of it. Also Bloodchief's Thirst and Baleful Mastery are cards that I can't stop recommending because they are just that good, the ability to get rid of an creature or planeswalker while being cheap removal if needed is just so good.
For creatures I will recommand Murderous Rider it is another hero's downfall with 2 for 1 thanks to adventure, I have never been impressed by Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir because he usually doesn't do enough for 5 mana. For planeswalkers if your meta has decks that have creatures Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver is surprisingly effective and talking about Ashiok Ashiok, Nightmare Muse is a real game closer because both +1 and -3 are extremely good and an army of 2/3 will win the game at some point.
For instants I will just write recommendations because there are so many: Archmage's Charm just does everything you would want, Commence the Endgame uncounterable threath + card draw and is especially good mirror breaker, Cryptic Command it also does everything, Disallow the stiffle can save games sometimes (like countering planeswalker "ultimate"), Erebos's Intervention I personally like this card very much because it can buy so much time against aggro decks, Hieroglyphic Illumination works as early game can trip and mid/late game divination, Spell Snare on draw this is amazing and usually the best cards are 2-3 costed so this usually hits something important and last but not least Force of Negation because it is another force. I would recommend little bit more targeted removal because edict effects are worse against decks that play mana elfs or other low impact 1 drops.
I personally wouldn't play your artifact package but because I haven't played with artifact package I won't say anything about that because I don't know how good it is.
These are just my recommendations and these aren't absolutes. Here is also list if you would like to compare different building choices
I hope that you found this helpful ^_^