Creature — Zombie
, , Discard a card: Create a 2/2 black Zombie creature token.
Tap three untapped Zombies you control: You draw a card and you lose 1 life.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Cryptbreaker occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
1 month ago
Hello again FenIsABasicSwamp. Not sure if you remember me, but I was the one that was building a Haakon deck around the same time you were (a little after). I also had a GoT theme but went more discard. I've been out of the magic scene for a bit but I was coming back to check out your deck because I am trying to revamp my version. I am still amazed at this deck as it truly does everything that I love in Magic. If I could upvote this twice I definitely would. I have some questions for you if that's alright.
2) How relevant has Emergence Zone been?
3) Why fetches in a mono-colored deck? I understand filtering, but you only play two and it seems you have a lot of draw.
4) Has K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth earned his place? Also, how do you supplement the lifeloss? I see some lifelink (and he has it as well) but have you ever needed to worry about the life lost from using him? Do you try to win before this is a problem?
6) Is Bitterblossom not worthwhile for the Contamination combo? If not, how come? I see Winter Orb in the sideboard so it seems like you may want to lockdown in some cases to ensure the deck gets to the mid-to-late game.
7) I know that Sidisi, Undead Vizier can be a repeatable tutor, but how come you don't play more tutors like Vampiric Tutor, Imperial Seal or even Increasing Ambition? (Unless money is a factor)? Also, why no Razaketh, the Foulblooded? Especially with the token generation factor.
9) Null Profusion is a card I've always meant to try, but the limit of two cards has always deterred me. How has it played for you? Staple? Needed? Just okay?
10) I'm SURE I'm missing something with Yawgmoth, Thran Physician, but he seems "off" to me in your list. You have enough draw to not worry about losing life and sacking a creature that can be sacked to other things. What does he bring to this kind of build?
11) Is the dredge from Stinkweed Imp needed? Do you constantly dredge whenever you can or is there a time and place?
14) Has Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger's cast trigger been enough non-creature removal? I saw the comment about Feed the Swarm so I won't suggest it, but what about Oblivion Stone, All Is Dust, and even Scour from Existence? If they're not needed, how come?
I read your Bio. I understand that your specifically chose not to use some of the cards and combos I've listed here. I hope that my questions come across as curiosity, not "you should do this and do that."
I know I've asked a lot of questions in this on comment, but if you could do me one more thing. Since you like underrated themes and/or commanders would you be willing to take a look at my Rakdos the Defiler deck? He is one I built early in my Magic career, purely for a theme, and without a template. He has become a powerful deck since and I'd love to hear your thoughts!
1 month ago
4 months ago
Loyal Subordinate had a lot of success in my playgroup in the sense that, it drew about as much hate as The Scarab God himself... So it became somewhat of a removal magnet. But then again if the commander isn't out it doesn't do much. It was a bit of a hit or miss scenario, but it fit the drain theme at the time.
As for what to cut, it's just a suggestion on my end based on my preferences (Because I know how you feel, I love all my zombies and have a hard time cutting stuff. :P) I am not a huge fan of Cryptbreaker. People keep telling me how good it is but I just never use the abilities. Tapping 3 zombies usually leaves me with few blockers so I'd be wide open to draw 1 card. And tapping it for is maybe okay in an emergency if you need a quick blocker, but I don't see it saving the game or adding extreme value. I also ended up cutting Cemetery Reaper in my Varina, Lich Queen deck for the same reason. My commander did mostly what it did, but better. , to exile a creature for a 2/2 never happened. In this situation the optimal scenario would also be using your commander rather than it so you get a token copy of what you exiled as a 4/4. And then there is the +1/+1 for all zombies but there's quite a few lords already so losing one doesn't feel like it would hurt that much vs the payoff of getting some extra solutions.
Or if you use those abilities a lot and want to keep them in, and you can make a lot of cards in your deck work with Intruder Alarm (Works with 8 of your current cards if I counted right), that can also add a lot of value.
4 months ago
Removed: Army of the Damned Black Market Blasting Station Empty the Pits Endless Ranks of the Dead The Immortal Sun Herald's Horn Empty the Pits Notion Rain Torment of Hailfire Liliana, Dreadhorde General
5 months ago
Vanquisher's Banner is an extremely reliable way to generate some Card Draw (pretty much essential in a deck anymore), and Grave Defiler is another extremely good way to work through your deck faster. Cryptbreaker isn't really reliable since not only do you need at least 2 other Zombies in play to activate him, but you also Tap them which takes away from your attack potency for the turn.
Cheers on your choice of Sudden Spoiling, that's another one I tend to recommend. Split Second is so powerful and so often overlooked.
5 months ago
What you could use is have 4 Blood Artist and switch to a more combo heavy deck. If you want to keep them. I bet Dark Confidant would be great in the deck if you went that route. It could also take the place Cryptbreaker. Zulaport Cutthroat Cavan help as well
5 months ago
I like the deck but what are the fetches there for? There’s only black. And why Yixlid Jailer it turns off your own cards, why not Leyline of the Void for only Graveyard hate for your opponent? I don’t know if Blood Artist is the best fit, since you are a more aggressive deck with a combo finish. How does this deck use Cryptbreaker? just for the tap& draw? Because you don’t have much reanimation to reliably discard.
Also, off topic but the link didn’t work, if you are able can you resend it?
6 months ago
Thanks for the feedback! Necromancer's Stockpile is basically Cryptbreaker for one more mana and no draw capabilities. And the other recommendation isn’t a zombie and I limited myself to only zombies. Combined they do seem quite gnarly.