Creature — Zombie
, , Discard a card: Create a 2/2 black Zombie creature token.
Tap three untapped Zombies you control: You draw a card and you lose 1 life.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
4 days ago
No matter what, I think not having 4x Undead Augur in the main is just shooting yourself in the foot, it just gives soooo much value. At first I was afraid of losing a lot of life, but I’ve come to see it’s a small price to pay for drawing a card. Also, I’ve loved Cryptbreaker ever since I knew it was a card, but when I want to discard a card, I don’t have infinite Gravecrawler s. And the card is extremely slow.
1 week ago
You do raise a valid point, lagotripha. For consistency’s sake I don’t intend to splash any other colors; I’d run into a similar problem if I didn’t have the Vial/Pyre in play and drew an off color creature. But I can definitely see value in, say, Cryptbreaker or Undead Augur as you had suggested.
I’ll have to weigh carefully what to replace. Either that, or incorporate your ideas into a new variation of this deck. Thanks for the input!
1 week ago
I feel like leaning far harder into 1 and 2 drops would make the pyre/Vial/Crawler setup a lot stronger. Just 'fetch a zombie from your deck each turn' is pretty strong.
Undead Augur Draws cards, likes sacrifice, on type&theme, cmc right for gravecrawler.
Cryptbreaker ditto, but also a 1 drop.
Tidehollow Sculler Hand disruption is goood
2 months ago
I don't know if it was intentional or not but you have quite a few creatures that care about counters. Thus, there might be a place for ways to take advantage of that here. Proliferators including Contagion Clasp , Karn's Bastion , and Yawgmoth, Thran Physician come to mind. Some other zombie cards in that vein might be Carrion Feeder , Skinrender , or Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet . Mikaeus, the Unhallowed is a little awkward with the +1/+1 theme. On one hand, he does dish out more counters when he brings some of your guys back for more action. On the other, his undying buff doesn't even apply to 3 of the deck's biggest hitters (in Diregraf Colossus , Unbreathing Horde , and Noosegraf Mob ). I think the single copy is a fair compromise, but I think testing both more and less would be interesting. If you're only looking to play around the tokens, Death Baron , Cemetery Reaper , and Cryptbreaker have proven effective for me, at least in EDH.
4 months ago
Hello again FenIsABasicSwamp. Not sure if you remember me, but I was the one that was building a Haakon deck around the same time you were (a little after). I also had a GoT theme but went more discard. I've been out of the magic scene for a bit but I was coming back to check out your deck because I am trying to revamp my version. I am still amazed at this deck as it truly does everything that I love in Magic. If I could upvote this twice I definitely would. I have some questions for you if that's alright.
2) How relevant has Emergence Zone been?
3) Why fetches in a mono-colored deck? I understand filtering, but you only play two and it seems you have a lot of draw.
4) Has K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth earned his place? Also, how do you supplement the lifeloss? I see some lifelink (and he has it as well) but have you ever needed to worry about the life lost from using him? Do you try to win before this is a problem?
6) Is Bitterblossom not worthwhile for the Contamination combo? If not, how come? I see Winter Orb in the sideboard so it seems like you may want to lockdown in some cases to ensure the deck gets to the mid-to-late game.
7) I know that Sidisi, Undead Vizier can be a repeatable tutor, but how come you don't play more tutors like Vampiric Tutor, Imperial Seal or even Increasing Ambition? (Unless money is a factor)? Also, why no Razaketh, the Foulblooded? Especially with the token generation factor.
9) Null Profusion is a card I've always meant to try, but the limit of two cards has always deterred me. How has it played for you? Staple? Needed? Just okay?
10) I'm SURE I'm missing something with Yawgmoth, Thran Physician, but he seems "off" to me in your list. You have enough draw to not worry about losing life and sacking a creature that can be sacked to other things. What does he bring to this kind of build?
11) Is the dredge from Stinkweed Imp needed? Do you constantly dredge whenever you can or is there a time and place?
14) Has Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger's cast trigger been enough non-creature removal? I saw the comment about Feed the Swarm so I won't suggest it, but what about Oblivion Stone, All Is Dust, and even Scour from Existence? If they're not needed, how come?
I read your Bio. I understand that your specifically chose not to use some of the cards and combos I've listed here. I hope that my questions come across as curiosity, not "you should do this and do that."
I know I've asked a lot of questions in this on comment, but if you could do me one more thing. Since you like underrated themes and/or commanders would you be willing to take a look at my Rakdos the Defiler deck? He is one I built early in my Magic career, purely for a theme, and without a template. He has become a powerful deck since and I'd love to hear your thoughts!
4 months ago
7 months ago
Loyal Subordinate had a lot of success in my playgroup in the sense that, it drew about as much hate as The Scarab God himself... So it became somewhat of a removal magnet. But then again if the commander isn't out it doesn't do much. It was a bit of a hit or miss scenario, but it fit the drain theme at the time.
As for what to cut, it's just a suggestion on my end based on my preferences (Because I know how you feel, I love all my zombies and have a hard time cutting stuff. :P) I am not a huge fan of Cryptbreaker. People keep telling me how good it is but I just never use the abilities. Tapping 3 zombies usually leaves me with few blockers so I'd be wide open to draw 1 card. And tapping it for is maybe okay in an emergency if you need a quick blocker, but I don't see it saving the game or adding extreme value. I also ended up cutting Cemetery Reaper in my Varina, Lich Queen deck for the same reason. My commander did mostly what it did, but better. , to exile a creature for a 2/2 never happened. In this situation the optimal scenario would also be using your commander rather than it so you get a token copy of what you exiled as a 4/4. And then there is the +1/+1 for all zombies but there's quite a few lords already so losing one doesn't feel like it would hurt that much vs the payoff of getting some extra solutions.
Or if you use those abilities a lot and want to keep them in, and you can make a lot of cards in your deck work with Intruder Alarm (Works with 8 of your current cards if I counted right), that can also add a lot of value.
7 months ago
Removed: Army of the Damned Black Market Blasting Station Empty the Pits Endless Ranks of the Dead The Immortal Sun Herald's Horn Empty the Pits Notion Rain Torment of Hailfire Liliana, Dreadhorde General