Creature — Zombie
, , Discard a card: Create a 2/2 black Zombie creature token.
Tap three untapped Zombies you control: You draw a card and you lose 1 life.
|Want (2)||Gerrarth , ClanMardu|
Printings View all
|Arena Cards (ARENA)||Rare|
|Eldritch Moon (EMN)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Cryptbreaker occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
1 month ago
Loyal Subordinate had a lot of success in my playgroup in the sense that, it drew about as much hate as The Scarab God himself... So it became somewhat of a removal magnet. But then again if the commander isn't out it doesn't do much. It was a bit of a hit or miss scenario, but it fit the drain theme at the time.
As for what to cut, it's just a suggestion on my end based on my preferences (Because I know how you feel, I love all my zombies and have a hard time cutting stuff. :P) I am not a huge fan of Cryptbreaker. People keep telling me how good it is but I just never use the abilities. Tapping 3 zombies usually leaves me with few blockers so I'd be wide open to draw 1 card. And tapping it for is maybe okay in an emergency if you need a quick blocker, but I don't see it saving the game or adding extreme value. I also ended up cutting Cemetery Reaper in my Varina, Lich Queen deck for the same reason. My commander did mostly what it did, but better. , to exile a creature for a 2/2 never happened. In this situation the optimal scenario would also be using your commander rather than it so you get a token copy of what you exiled as a 4/4. And then there is the +1/+1 for all zombies but there's quite a few lords already so losing one doesn't feel like it would hurt that much vs the payoff of getting some extra solutions.
Or if you use those abilities a lot and want to keep them in, and you can make a lot of cards in your deck work with Intruder Alarm (Works with 8 of your current cards if I counted right), that can also add a lot of value.
1 month ago
Removed: Army of the Damned Black Market Blasting Station Empty the Pits Endless Ranks of the Dead The Immortal Sun Herald's Horn Empty the Pits Notion Rain Torment of Hailfire Liliana, Dreadhorde General
1 month ago
Vanquisher's Banner is an extremely reliable way to generate some Card Draw (pretty much essential in a deck anymore), and Grave Defiler is another extremely good way to work through your deck faster. Cryptbreaker isn't really reliable since not only do you need at least 2 other Zombies in play to activate him, but you also Tap them which takes away from your attack potency for the turn.
Cheers on your choice of Sudden Spoiling, that's another one I tend to recommend. Split Second is so powerful and so often overlooked.
2 months ago
What you could use is have 4 Blood Artist and switch to a more combo heavy deck. If you want to keep them. I bet Dark Confidant would be great in the deck if you went that route. It could also take the place Cryptbreaker. Zulaport Cutthroat Cavan help as well
2 months ago
I like the deck but what are the fetches there for? There’s only black. And why Yixlid Jailer it turns off your own cards, why not Leyline of the Void for only Graveyard hate for your opponent? I don’t know if Blood Artist is the best fit, since you are a more aggressive deck with a combo finish. How does this deck use Cryptbreaker? just for the tap& draw? Because you don’t have much reanimation to reliably discard.
Also, off topic but the link didn’t work, if you are able can you resend it?
2 months ago
Thanks for the feedback! Necromancer's Stockpile is basically Cryptbreaker for one more mana and no draw capabilities. And the other recommendation isn’t a zombie and I limited myself to only zombies. Combined they do seem quite gnarly.
3 months ago
Hi there, I would replace Aphemia, the Cacophony, you probably never use the exile abilty in a game. Good replacements for the same or less CMC are; Cryptbreaker Gravecrawler Relentless Dead Shepherd of Rot Undead Augur
3 months ago
- cut Doomed Dissenter since it can't be recast with your commander, and there are plenty of 2/2 zombies for 2 which can
- cut Festering Mummy because in commander, most creatures will not die with a couple of -1/-1 counters. Consider keeping it if your opponents play lots of mana dorks such as Llanowar Elves
- cut Ghoulraiser, your commander casts a zombie of your choice from the graveyard anyway
- cut Liliana's Steward, targeted discard is bad in commander. You and the targeted opponent lose a card, but your other two opponents don't.
- cut Increasing Ambition, it simply costs too much mana for the effect in my opinion
- cut Sealed Fate, it's pretty bad unless your opponent just used a Worldly Tutor or something
- cut Shamble Back, you don't want to exile your own creatures, and it's a pretty poor form of graveyard hate.
- cut Remove Soul, if you're paying 2 mana for a counterspell, you want it to hit more than just creatures
- cut Spell Snuff, 3 mana counterspells are too expensive
- cut Vile Rebirth for the same reason as Shamble Back
- cut Manalith and Nyx Lotus. When you're in 2 colours, you generally don't want to pay more than 2 mana to ramp. Plus if you ramp on turn 2, you'll have 4 mana on turn 3, allowing you to cast your commander early
- cut Telepathy, it's not worth using a card to see your opponents hand unless you're playing something specific like maybe Sen Triplets.
- For semi-budget 2-colour deck, your mana base looks pretty good. I would just cut Skyline Cascade, having it come in tapped isn't worth it for it's effect in commander. You can probably just play a basic island in its place.
If you want to upgrade your mana base, avoid lands that come in tapped like Dimir Guildgate. A few suggestions would be Command Tower, Choked Estuary, Darkwater Catacombs, Drowned Catacomb, Tainted Isle, Underground River, Watery Grave.
I hope that was helpful! Here's a link to my The Scarab God commander deck which has a pretty similar zombie tribal theme to what you have. Take a look through it and maybe you'll find more cards that I forgot to mention. If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask!