Crux of Fate
Choose one —
- Destroy all Dragon creatures
- Destroy all non-Dragon creatures.
|Have (4)||Hardhitta7 , ryancav , metalmagic , Bluboltar|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Crux of Fate occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Crux of Fate Discussion
3 weeks ago
Looks like you have lots of effects that want to have creatures to sacrifice. this makes me want repeatable recursion, such as
. personally I would run the skeleton over famished paladin - a vanilla 3/3 with a downside is not very appealing to me.
I would consider Generous Gift over high priest of penance... removal is good, but instant speed, non-conditional removal is better.
also twilight panther looks pretty underwhelming to me. I would run pretty much anything over it - card draw Syphon Mind or Ambition's Cost , ramp Commander's Sphere , Solemn Simulacrum , Gift of Estates , boardwipe like Crux of Fate or Fumigate .
the more commander you play, the more you will realise that 1-drop creatures that can only swing or block will probably have little impact on the game in a 4-player game with starting life total of 40. but drawing cards, ramping, and having removal that is better than 1-to-1 is almost always useful. sorry if i am telling you things you already know but just trying to help out!
cheers and have fun!!!
1 month ago
I would remove Cancel for Dovin's Veto, Crux of Fate for Torment of Hailfire, Diabolic Tutor for Beseech the Queen, Diabolic Edict for Go for the Throat, Personal Tutor for Lim-Dul's Vault, Laboratory Maniac for Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite, Graceful Adept for Archon of Emeria, Blood Seeker for Judge's Familiar, Strionic Resonator for Isochron Scepter, Baleful Strix for Windfall, Nadier's Nightblade for Dramatic Reversal, and Revel in Riches for Basalt Monolith
1 month ago
I see someone else has already started brewing the new commander. I really like where the deck is heading! Here are a couple suggestions I would give for the brew:
-1 Beacon of Unrest... In general I dont think you'll be getting enough cards in opponent's graveyards for this to matter very much
-1 Crux of Fate... No dragons in the deck, doesn't seem incredibly good at 5 mana, but you can keep this one in without a huge problem.
I'm noticing maybe too much emphasis on a theft style of play? I personally would go the route of controlling your opponents hand and board until you can ramp to Tibalt and pop off, though this is your choice.
-1 Grab the Reins...7 mana for getting a little value out of a creature the destroying it just isn't good enough when you could be devoting that slot to better ramp options (which this deck desperately needs)
Nothing much to say here, maybe cut a mountain or two for some swamps for better mana? Maze of Ith seems good for protecting walker Tibalt in a pinch
-1 Stormfist Crusader... One extra card per opponent usually won't matter
-1 Glasses of Urza... this card will never be relevant. Ever.
Nothing much to say here in terms of cutables.
-1 Angrath, the Flame-Chained... To expensive, too little payoff
-1 Ob Nixilis Reignited...inefficient card draw/removal engine
Cards to Consider
Note: Add more sacrifice outlets like Yawgmoth, Thran Physician or Phyrexian Altar to prevent your opponents from getting any creatures you stole back. Additionally, I would suggest to find a few more cards of removal and focus on making the deck play as smoothly as possible. Really love where the deck is headed. Good work =)
1 month ago
I think you'd be better off going far away from mill.
A lot of newer players make the mistake of thinking "wow, it's a way to win that denies my opponent resources". It's not. It's a way to win that actually gives most of your opponents resources.
Even if you're playing casual, if your friend has their own Gravepurge then you just gave them a huge advantage.
However, there's another archetype that you definitely have some of the cards for and the rest is cheap: blue black control.
Try this basic list:
4x Doom Blade
4x Cast Down
4x Crux of Fate
Then add in your Dragonlord and that Liliana as well as some other big fun blue/black cards that win. Not the Abberations tho. The Necromasters will do fine.
Then, I recommend picking up some better untapped fixing and replacing those Refuges with River of Tears.
That list should cost you about $30. I've included budget options for the cards that may be more expensive, but if possible use the first in each line rather than the second.
I think you'll like that list a lot more, and do pretty well with it. With some slight tweaks(mostly replacing Preordain and Ponder with Opt and Serum Visions), it'd be playable in Modern, and, if you're skilled enough, you should be able to pick up some wins and do fairly well.
But that's just me -- if you don't like that direction, that's fine. Mill can be pretty fun sometimes.
1 month ago
i'm not really worried about limited since i almost never do prereleases, plus a given card will only ever see limited play once (unless someone cheats at prereleases). but i would definitely like to see dragons become more than a gimmick deck in nonrotating formats. at best we've seen prison decks that just "happen" to have a big dragon as their finisher, for basically no other reason than because its a big flyer they can cast while Blood Moon is out. but i'd like to see real dragon synergy, not dwarves that help dragons. those dwarves are just gonna get blown up by a Crux of Fate, or mess up other potential tribal synergy.
2 months ago
It's a cool idea, but bustedly abusable if you'd try. Making everything a sliver for example is problematic. Vanquisher's Banner is insane with this. Turntimber Ranger goes infinite with itself. Crux of Fate will be silly. Flamekin Harbinger becomes Worldly Tutor. Gilt-Leaf Archdruid... Those cards are powerful because you need to impose restrictions on your deck to make them effective, but this commander removes all those restrictions entirely. It honestly breaks the game. However, depending how you would build the deck, everything could fall apart if your opponents can keep your commander off the table. You'd be stuck with a bunch of tribal lords without other members of the effected tribes. Very all or nothing.
For a less busted but more balanced and still powerful, similar idea without the need for a custom commander, you could check out this episode of MtGGoldfish' commander clash where the Ur-Dragon deck is a deck that plays a lot of changelings and a lot of seemingly random tribal synergies. The deck is build so, that your creatures mostly already have all creature types, so that you wouldn't need this effect from your commander.
3 months ago
Have you considered Isochron Scepter? You already have several cards that fit it, and it's a key card for several infinite combos, most notably with Dramatic Reversal. I'd recommend cutting Crux of Fate since you don't have many dragons and you already have several board wipes.
Gilded Lotus is a bit slow, I'd recommend replacing it with Arcane Signet. Same for Commander's Sphere, I'd cut that and use Mind Stone instead. Your commander is 4 CMC, so ramping on turn 2 is extremely important.
I can see you're trying to abuse ETB effects, but Ravenous Chupacabra can be a bit underwhelming on it's own. Clever Impersonator has the same CMC, and it can become any nonland permanent on the board.
3 months ago
Optimator: Hello there! Always gotta love Vilis decks, especially as detailed as this one :D A lot of cards in Maybeboard would fit the deck really well (I just have no idea why you got some cards two or three times there), but I would try to minimalize the maybeboard as much as possible, to not look the deck so chaotic.
I run Vilis in my Syr Konrad's For the Void deck.. he doesnt really fit the theme/idea of the deck so well, but Vilis is just too badass to cut out :D (anyway, any feedback/suggestions would be welcomed aswell <3 )
Some cards in deck I would cut, why, and their replacement:
1) Falkenrath Noble - might be a nice card in an aristocrat deck, there isnt really any way to generate->sac big amount of your creatures to abuse Falkenrath Noble as much as possible, also costs . If you want an aristocrat, Bastion of Remembrance could be a possible option aswell. Its cheaper, gives you a 1/1 token and has the same effect as F.Noble. Sure, can't attack or block, but Bastion is also harder to remove since its an Enchantment.
2) Leaden Myr - as you already mentioned, a possible cut for some other mana-rock.. I would switch it for Malakir Rebirth Flip as an another kind of "protection" to either Vilis or another important creature at the moment. With Vilis on board, it even draws you two cards (destroy protection, draw two cards, triggering aristocrat-like effects at instant speed for only ? YES PLEASE! ). In worse case scenario, its also additional land drop. Another possible replacement could be Blood Celebrant, which synergies well with both Vilis and K'riik.
3) Liliana's Contract - would probably fit better in some Demon tribal deck or Conspiracy deck. You also have only six Demons in your deck, all of them with fairly high mana cost. As a better card-draw, I would add either Greed, since it draws you 3 cards with Vilis on board, maybe even Skullclamp that would draw you two cards every turn with Ophiomancer, but Greed would be most likey better option, since there isnt really any other way to generate a lot of tokens every turn.
4) Crux of Fate - no Dragons in your deck, not even so many of them in black in general, so outside of politic reason, other 5CMC or less boardwipes would be better. I personally love Life's Finale, its more expensive than Crux of Fate, but enables you to look and search in target opponent's deck and put up to 3 creatures from their deck into theri graveyard, which would synergize with Chainer, Dementia Master, Geth, Lord of the Vault and some other.
5) Ruinous Path - sorcery speed removal is kinda meh, so something like Hero's Downfall is just better. I personally like Eat to Extinction, even if its more expensive, it helps with top-deck managment (+exiles targeted creature/pw).
6) Cut few swamps for:
6a) Cabal Stronghold - Stronghold is cheap, can tap itself for and can give you plenty of later on.
6b) Emergence Zone - I personally love this utility land, just because it gives you spells Flash whenever you sac it. It doesnt ETB tapped and can help you casting some stuff when you sac it.
7) Chaos Wand - might be a fun card, but doesnt really fit the deck at all. I would cut it for Bontu's Monument to make a lot of your big black stuff cheaper and another small source of life-gain.
8) Big mana-rocks: Gilded Lotus and Thran Dynamo - I used to run those too, but slowly started replacing them with cheaper mana rocks like Thought Vessel and Arcane Signet. Hedron Archive is okay-ish since it can draw you two cards when you no longer need it, but with Vilis and especially mono-black, there can always be enough card draw.
9) Spellbook - would be fine, if you didnt manage to get your Reliquary Tower or Venser's Journal on board, but otherwise its just a dead card that does nothing to you anymore. I would rather replace it with Ivory Tower to get some life back.
10) Curtains' Call - I would replace this one for one of the following:
10a) Devour in Shadow/Vendetta - cheap removal that can potentionaly draws you X cards aswell.
10b) Dismember - depending on how big the creature is, but since you could cast it for only one and draw 4 cards aswell, its decent choice aswell.
10c) Snuff Out - free removal in 99.999% time, which can draws you 4 cards aswell, but not for black creatures, which, depending on your opponent's deck, might be important. Still most likely a better option.
10d) Tragic Slip - goes through indestructible, but requires a creature to die to be maximum effective, which might be sometimes a problem. Still, really good one.
10e) Malicious Affliction - another cheap removal, which is also locked to non-black creatures, but is able to destroy two creatures if a creature died already, so similar issue like Tragic Slip.
10f) Profane Command - I just totally love this card. Its not instant, but can be really flexible in various situations, so I would probably go for this as a replacement.
10g) Erebos's Intervention - similar to Profane Command, it flexile aswell, providing you to remove some indestructible creature and get some life; or serves as a fairly decent graveyard hate at instant speed.
I won't go through cards in maybeboard, even though there is plenty of really nice cards that would work so well in Vilis's deck, like Bolas's Citadel, Doom Whisperer, Font of Agonies and Phyrexian Reclamation and many more, it would just be a little too much, I would say... :D
I hope some of my suggestions will help, gonna upvote this for sure, just because it looks really nice, especially with so many possible cards that could easily fit so well :)