As an additional cost to cast Alter's Reap, sacrifice a creature.
Draw two cards.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Altar's Reap occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Altar's Reap Discussion
1 month ago
@MrKillStar: Thanks for your good ideas. Burnished Hart, Feed the Swarm and Phyrexian Altar are included in this Update. I will include Thornbite Staff, Altar's Reap, Village Rites and Sol Ring in my next Update. The combo around Grave Titan and Ashnod's Altar is nice but I want to focus on the Shades. Therefore I won't include it in the Deck. Furthermore I will include Magus of the Coffers, Nirkana Revenant, Cabal Stronghold and Witch's Cottage in the Future.
2 months ago
First, you have 4 taplands. Please, man, with a $200 budget you can fix 4. Exotic Orchard, The red Tainted land, Graven Cairns and friends. Easy, you can find a good number of them for $10-20 and make your manabase SO much better. The only one I'd even consider is the triland, and only because it taps for all three colors.
Also, cards like Village Rites become incredibly valuable. Rites itself is 1 mana draw 2, and the other versions(Costly Plunder, Altar's Reap) add a mana and instant speed. You'll have enough tokens that it's just free value here.
Between Champion of Dusk and Ad Nauseam, you've got some high power draw. IMO, just add some more tutors. Wishclaw Talisman, Scheming Symmetry, Grim Tutor are all plenty good to go get your nice Ad Naus or Champion to draw waaaay too many cards. For other tutors consider Brainspoil to get Ad Naus, Shred Memory for something like Cordial Vampire or Impact Tremors, and possibly Dimir Machinations and Dimir House Guard.
For win cons, consider Purphoros, God of the Forge. Deals damage twice as fast compared to Impact Tremors, and both of them are really solid cards. Burn at the Stake could probably take your horde of tokens and off somebody as well. Also tutorable by Brainspoil.
2 months ago
Howl of the Horde, Howl from Beyond, Howl of the Nightpack. Listen, I just like wolves. Also Altar's Reap, Everlasting Torment / Neverending Torment, Tendrils of Agony, Hellrider, Hell's Thunder, Into the Maw of Hell, Sign in Blood, Minister of Pain, Descent into Madness, Shreds of Sanity, Soul Scourge, Screams from Within, Crown of Fury, Devils' Playground, Nightmare's Thirst.
2 months ago
Feed the Swarm is pretty cheap and versatile removal to consider. Fact or Fiction or Read the Bones or even Altar's Reap might also be nice as it seems card draw might be a bit weak Thoughtcast is even better I bet with the Treasure synergies. Murder or Doom Blade or Tragic Slip or Price of Fame or Defile or Cast Down or Drag to the Underworld might also be nice to deal with enemy threats or blockers. Force of Despair is another good cheap effect that can help push through for attacks. Costly Plunder turns a treasure into cards which is nice and on theme. Profane Command is also surprisingly cheap for the versatility. Damnable Pact is neat as you can target an opponent to deal lethal or yourself to draw. Cranial Plating is a pretty awesome equipment with treasure too. Armix, Filigree Thrasher although not a pirate, has a cool synergy with treasures. AEtherize is a neat wrath effect that is cheap. Memory Lapse and Unsubstantiate is a counterspell that feels less controlling since they keep the card. Tolarian Winds is a one sided Windfall which is interesting. Thassa's Intervention is another potential counterspell that doesn't feel so controlling. Distant Melody is also probably a great card given all the Pirates. Merchant's Dockhand interacts nicely with Treasures.
3 months ago
Hello there, fellowr Syr Konrad player!
You could check my own Syr Konrad, the Grim's deck: For the Void to see how I went with him, why did I chose the cards I chosen and maybe you'll see some cards you might like too. Some feedback and upvote would be very appreciated aswell! :)
First things first, type CMDR behind "1x Syr Konrad, the Grim" in your decklist to specify him as a commander.
Second, I would probably avoid discard cards like: Mind Rot,Cavern Whisperer when its not discard focused deck.
Same would go with Underworld Dreams.. yes, it can punish some decks for their big card draws, but doesnt really fit the idea of the deck that well. But you could always add Peer into the Abyss which pairs with Underworld Dreams really well.
Next cut would probably be some creatures that doesnt really do much and other cards:
1) Barrow Witches - your only Knight is Syr Konrad, which you will 99.9% times cast from command zone anyway.
2) Feral Abomination - for 5/5 deathtouch is kinda meh, something that generates tokens would be much better, with so many creatures, cards like Pawn of Ulamog and Sifter of Skulls are nice budget options (even when token creature dies, it goes to graveyard -> triggering Syr Konrad's ability, then insantly vanishes).
3) Squelching Leeches - this can grow fairly big if you play for a lot of turns, but without anything that ramps your Swamps out quick, its just slow dumb creature.
4) Vampire Opportunist - its ability is really expensive just to drain 2 life.
5) Im sure you could replace much more creature for something more usefeul, either a card draw, removal, sacrifice outlets or more token generators. 6) Merciless Resolve is worse version of Altar's Reap, which is now worse than Village Rites.
7) Pharika's Libation - Im personally fan of this removal, just because your opponent can choose what to sacrifice. Feed the Swarm is definitely a better option.
8) Kaya's Ghostform - Kaya's Ghostform is okay, cheap protection for only one . You could add more protection, like: Malakir Rebirth Flip, which works even better, because its an instant speed "protection" and can also be used as a land if needed.
9) Evolving Wilds - no need to run this at all. You would be better to switch it either for an additional Swamp or some other utility land. Also Myriad Landscape is cheap budget option to ramp a bit, but its quite slow.
Some cards you could throw in:
1) Cabal Stronghold - budget version of Cabal Coffers, which can tap itself for and adds a decent number of black mana later on.
2) Crypt of Agadeem - with so many black creatures in your deck, this could ramp you a lot. Costs few dollars, but is definitely worth it in mono-black decks like yours.
3) Some mana rocks and spells to help you with ramp, so you won't fall behind that much should help for sure. There is plenty of mana rocks you could use, starting with Sol Ring/Mana Geode/Arcane Signet, also something like Bontu's Monument, Charcoal Diamond. There is also Culling the Weak/Dark Ritual/Cabal Ritual to give you some fast mana, on top of Bubbling Muck and Songs of the Damned. If you browse some other decks and the internet, you can find plenty of mono-black creatures and/or artifacts that can ramp your super fast.
4) Again, with so many creatures in your deck, try to get Morality Shift - which could easily take out all your opponents at once with Syr Konrad on Board. More creature returning spells from yor graveyard could be: Gravepurge/Forever Young and Death Denied. Gravepurge and Forever Young works even better with something like Bolas's Citadel, enabling you to cast those cheap creatures right away and possibly even sacrifice them, triggering Syr Konrad's at least twice each time.
5) In my opinion, super strong card like Tortured Existence. It can easily trigger Syr Konrad's twice, getting big creatures into your graveyard to reanimate them later, get cheap creatures back into your hand to re-cast them again, save some creatures from graveyard hate and works well with Desecrated Tomb. All that at instant speed, as many times as much you got to pay! And its really $cheap.
3 months ago
Everytime I look at ghoulcaller gissa, Im impressed by her ability to generate so many tokens so easily, even from her own 2/2 tokens.. I'm thinking about putting her in my Syr Konrad's For the Void deck, just to make even more tokens, but its quite hard to find any free spot at this moment :D
Anyway, I know this is a budged deck, more or less, but why Ur-Golem's Eye? I would rather go with Sol Ring/Bontu's Monument or any other mana-cheaper manarock.
Armillary Sphere - in Gisa deck, Burnished Hart seems like a better option to me. You can either sac hart to Gisa to make two tokens or sac it to itself to fetch two basic lands if needed.
Hymn to Tourach - This honestly doesnt feel like it belongs too much in here, since its no discard focused deck. I would replace it with Village Rites, since you have plenty of creatures and tokens to sacrifice + Village Rites is instant for only one , strictly better Altar's Reap. Or Vile Rebirth to get rid off some annoying card if you play against some graveyard decks + makes you a 2/2 zombie token at instant speed for only one .
I think you might also cut like 2 lands, since you have plenty of cheap creatures, with few mana rocks and rituals anyway. Adding Feed the Swarm might also be pretty good, just as another creature removal or finally a good enchantment removal in black. Life loss is minor, since most enchantments are not mana-expensive anyway. It also gets better, if you would have Vilis, Broker of Blood on board.
Some higher-budget possible upgrades:
Thornbite Staff - Next to Gisa, this is another card that gets more and more interesting the more I look at it :D If you equip it to Gisa, then sac some creature to Gisa's ability, you can untap Gisa and sac another creature again.
Phyrexian Altar - more expensive card to get, but it goes to so many combos. Especially to the previous one with Thornbite Staff, which can make infinite etb/die triggers just with only one 2/2 creature and Gisa equipped with staff with Phyrexian Altar on board. Then add some aristocrat effect like Bastion of Remembrance and the game is over.
Grave Titan - costs few dollars, since it got reprinted in Mystery Booster Boxes and is also great friend to any reanimator, zombie tribal or simply Gisa deck for the absurd amount of tokens it can generate. Also goes infinite with Nim Deathmantle and Ashnod's Altar.
3 months ago
Village Rites is a strictly better Altar's Reap. I recommend 4x Whisper Squad over Mardu Shadowspear as they can easily grab you additional sac fodder. Also, I think Bastion of Remembrance is a much better Syr Konrad, the Grim. For an aggressive deck, the mana curve matters and the additional token is helpful too. Finally, and your mileage may vary on this since it looks like you're trying to include mostly non-rares and not recent sets, Lurrus of the Dream-Den would be a very good card to include, probably over Blood for Bones. Good luck!
5 months ago
In response to your question about card draws: