Charcoal Diamond enters the battlefield tapped.
: Gain .
Printings View all
|Commander Legends (CMR)||Common|
|Commander 2014 (C14)||Uncommon|
|Seventh Edition (7ED)||Uncommon|
|Classic Sixth Edition (6ED)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Charcoal Diamond occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Charcoal Diamond Discussion
1 week ago
Hello there, fellowr Syr Konrad player!
You could check my own Syr Konrad, the Grim's deck: For the Void to see how I went with him, why did I chose the cards I chosen and maybe you'll see some cards you might like too. Some feedback and upvote would be very appreciated aswell! :)
First things first, type CMDR behind "1x Syr Konrad, the Grim" in your decklist to specify him as a commander.
Second, I would probably avoid discard cards like: Mind Rot,Cavern Whisperer when its not discard focused deck.
Same would go with Underworld Dreams.. yes, it can punish some decks for their big card draws, but doesnt really fit the idea of the deck that well. But you could always add Peer into the Abyss which pairs with Underworld Dreams really well.
Next cut would probably be some creatures that doesnt really do much and other cards:
1) Barrow Witches - your only Knight is Syr Konrad, which you will 99.9% times cast from command zone anyway.
2) Feral Abomination - for 5/5 deathtouch is kinda meh, something that generates tokens would be much better, with so many creatures, cards like Pawn of Ulamog and Sifter of Skulls are nice budget options (even when token creature dies, it goes to graveyard -> triggering Syr Konrad's ability, then insantly vanishes).
3) Squelching Leeches - this can grow fairly big if you play for a lot of turns, but without anything that ramps your Swamps out quick, its just slow dumb creature.
4) Vampire Opportunist - its ability is really expensive just to drain 2 life.
5) Im sure you could replace much more creature for something more usefeul, either a card draw, removal, sacrifice outlets or more token generators. 6) Merciless Resolve is worse version of Altar's Reap, which is now worse than Village Rites.
7) Pharika's Libation - Im personally fan of this removal, just because your opponent can choose what to sacrifice. Feed the Swarm is definitely a better option.
8) Kaya's Ghostform - Kaya's Ghostform is okay, cheap protection for only one . You could add more protection, like: Malakir Rebirth Flip, which works even better, because its an instant speed "protection" and can also be used as a land if needed.
9) Evolving Wilds - no need to run this at all. You would be better to switch it either for an additional Swamp or some other utility land. Also Myriad Landscape is cheap budget option to ramp a bit, but its quite slow.
Some cards you could throw in:
1) Cabal Stronghold - budget version of Cabal Coffers, which can tap itself for and adds a decent number of black mana later on.
2) Crypt of Agadeem - with so many black creatures in your deck, this could ramp you a lot. Costs few dollars, but is definitely worth it in mono-black decks like yours.
3) Some mana rocks and spells to help you with ramp, so you won't fall behind that much should help for sure. There is plenty of mana rocks you could use, starting with Sol Ring/Mana Geode/Arcane Signet, also something like Bontu's Monument, Charcoal Diamond. There is also Culling the Weak/Dark Ritual/Cabal Ritual to give you some fast mana, on top of Bubbling Muck and Songs of the Damned. If you browse some other decks and the internet, you can find plenty of mono-black creatures and/or artifacts that can ramp your super fast.
4) Again, with so many creatures in your deck, try to get Morality Shift - which could easily take out all your opponents at once with Syr Konrad on Board. More creature returning spells from yor graveyard could be: Gravepurge/Forever Young and Death Denied. Gravepurge and Forever Young works even better with something like Bolas's Citadel, enabling you to cast those cheap creatures right away and possibly even sacrifice them, triggering Syr Konrad's at least twice each time.
5) In my opinion, super strong card like Tortured Existence. It can easily trigger Syr Konrad's twice, getting big creatures into your graveyard to reanimate them later, get cheap creatures back into your hand to re-cast them again, save some creatures from graveyard hate and works well with Desecrated Tomb. All that at instant speed, as many times as much you got to pay! And its really $cheap.
2 weeks ago
I would recommend making the deck a little less reliant on the commander. She is seven mana, so her surviving with a specific board state for her to kill seems relatively unlikely. Given the amount of recursion, you could try a graveyard or reanimator subtheme to go along with one-shot kills.
4 weeks ago
1 month ago
I have a Gisa & Geralf deck too! Rooftop Experiments (Zombie Tribal).
So you say this decks needs some help. I've looked over it and here are my thoughts:
First off, it looks really good. I love your creature selection. It appears you're going somewhat wide with a "regular" aggro plan, so I'll be basing my suggestions off that. From what I've seen of your other decks you have something of a budget (as do I!) so I'll refrain from just suggesting every big-time upgrade on EDHREC.
One thing is it looks like you only have four or five ramp pieces. Personally I aim for at least eight in all my decks that don't have a ramp strategy, and more for those that do. Perhaps three more? I've found that I really like casting a spell from hand then casting a zombie from the graveyard as much as possible, so you'll be happy with the extra mana. Fellwar Stone is good for the Havengul Lich. Consider Mind Stone, Wayfarer's Bauble, Talisman of Dominance, Star Compass, Sky Diamond, Charcoal Diamond, or perhaps Black Market.
You're also at around five or six card-draw cards. Could be better, but it's not bad--especially since you have so much card advantage coming from the graveyard. Still, hand refills are always nice and it's nice to draw into answers. Windfall is good for graveyard-y decks. Perhaps a big hand-refiller like Mind Spring, Tidings, or Overflowing Insight? You would often have The City's Blessing for Kumena's Awakening if you can't afford a Phyrexian Arena and/or Rhystic Study. Rain of Revelation has a hint of graveyard synergy, and stuff like Reconnaissance Mission and Keep Watch synergize with your go-wide build.
Sidisi, Undead Vizier is premium in Gisa & Geralf decks. Can't recommend her enough. Great way to get Rooftop Storm out!
1 month ago
Add in some useful mana rocks to speed things up, that aren't too outrageously expensive:
Thought Vessel if you've got a few extra doll-hairs sitting around.
I'd also cut Tendrils of Corruption and Corrupt(no more synergy with the Tomb), Revenge of Ravens or Blood Reckoning(is one life really that much when you've got so many other of these effects?), Mindcrank(this card is so much more fun when Duskmantle Guildmage is around, and I don't know about you, but my playgroup loves to have good stuff in the grave, so they can CHEAT it out for cheap, so unless Mill is something you really want to strive for, it just seems clunky to me, especially when more ramp is needed). And maybe cut Ambition's Cost-?? It just seems really expensive, Mana-wise, for more drawback than usual.
Funky_bunch any more useful tips?
1 month ago
Your list is looking really good! You have pretty much most of the classic Aristocrats pieces in. Your creature list is spot-on IMO. I love how much removal you have.
A couple of suggestions here though. I am going to assume you're on at least something of a budget. If you're not, hit up EDHREC for more powerful suggestions, of course.
I would recommend a bit more ramp. You're sitting at four ramp pieces by my count, and Bontu's Monument and Ashnod's Altar are a bit questionable as true ramp. They're definitely good and worth their slots--don't get me wrong. I'd recommend at least eight ramp pieces in almost any deck. Some good includes would be Wayfarer's Bauble, Charcoal Diamond, Star Compass, Myriad Landscape, Prismatic Lens, Mind Stone, Worn Powerstone. With a bit of money you have Arcane Signet, Coldsteel Heart, Jet Medallion, Crypt Ghast, Magus of the Coffers and Sword of the Animist.
I wouldn't really recommend Altar of Dementia unless you can infinitely loop sacrifices and make it a win-con. If you just want free sac outlets; your commander, Ashnod's, Woe Strider, and Carrion Feeder should do the trick and give you value in return that you can actually use. Same with Ayara and stuff. Culling Dais and Spawning Pit are decent. One of Yehenni's biggest strengths is having a free sac outlet in the command zone.
Speaking of your commander, one of the reasons to run Yahenni over other mono-Black aristocrats commanders is the threat he/she turns into. I would recommend a few pieces of equipment to help end the game. Loxodon Warhammer, Blackblade Reforged, Lashwrithe, Trailblazer's Boots, Prowler's Helm, and of course Swiftfoot Boots are all good choices. Lots to choose from here but these are great for their price. Obviously there are all the Swords and Jitte and stuff if you have the cash or have them in your collection.
2 months ago
To be honest, I'm not much of a fan of Ancient Craving or Ambition's Cost. They're nice to refuel after you play Vilis but otherwise aren't worth the cost imo. Falkenrath Aristocrat and Deathgreeter don't seem to have the support to be very impactful either, and I imagine you could use more rocks. Charcoal Diamond and Jet Medallion seem like good inclusions from your maybeboard. Speaking of, Lord of the Void and Twilight Prophet are also sweet cards that you might want to swap in; if you can get them to stick they're both terrific.
2 months ago
Charcoal comes in tapped and that's no good. We want our ramp to be fast so we can get to our plays faster.
Dynamo is costly for a rock and shares a mana cost with Doctor Moth, creating conflict between the two. Assuming you have 4 mana open let's say turn 3, would you rather cast a mana rock, or the good Doctor? Alternatively for 4 mana you could be reading "charts" and operating on a patient. Dynamo is just awkward in that when you could be casting it, you could also be making impactful plays instead. It's also a pretty big removal target.
Nyx Lotus is the worst of both worlds. It costs 4 mana AND comes in tapped, so you don't even get the 3 Dynamo would give you. Its production also entirely depends on how well you're doing, which could be not so good. Finally, it's an even bigger target than Dynamo, and if it gets blown up you basically just skipped your turn if you tapped out to cast it.
I'd recommend any manner of 2 cmc ramp as solid replacements. Jet Medallion and Mind Stone are already acknowledged options, but there's also Fellwar Stone and Everflowing Chalice. Additionally, if you can swing it Extraplanar Lens is pretty killer in mono decks. Couple it with snow lands and it's dirty asymmetrical ramp assuming nobody else is running the same snows as you. It's not a budget option by any means but it's still an option.
I like your deck and its theme. :^) Hope this helps.