Creature — Vampire
Whenever Falkenrath Noble or another creature dies (is put into the graveyard from the battlefield, tokens enter the graveyard before they cease to exist), target player loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Falkenrath Noble occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Falkenrath Noble Discussion
1 month ago
Sooo what do you want for this deck? Do you need token producers? If that is the route you want to go down, there are some other cards you should look at:
More aristocrats. You are in the right colors for these, so this shouldn't be hard to fill out. Blood Artist, Zulaport Cutthroat, Falkenrath Noble; I think there might be some red ones that make the creature itself deal damage to any target? If so, those should be an auto include what with the assassins having deathtouch.
As far as actual tokens go, it seems you mostly have one-off effects; if you want more of these, you should look for cards that get you tokens with a high amount of efficiency. If you had enough mana rocks and stuff like that I would suggest Kuldotha Rebirth, but for now I don't think that is going to do it as often as you want. Probably you want stuff like Krenko's Command, Dragon Fodder, Hordeling Outburst, etc. for this category.
In terms of token producing that recursively gives you value, I would suggest Assemble the Legion for sure; also, maybe Ophiomancer (expensive but very good with a sacrifice outlet) and any of the Goonies would be good, though technically they aren't tokens, they just come back a lot (Reassembling Skeleton, Nether Traitor, Bloodsoaked Champion, Bloodghast, Tenacious Dead, either Squee would work). If you really do want tokens to come out and be there at the same time and start to build up a board state with them, you should probably use ... well, I dunno, you're in white. Figure it out.
Also, one last thing: Cathars' Crusade.
In terms of what to cut, I would look reaaally hard at the top of your curve. I would probably drop Gravewaker at least. I think Necrotic Hex is probably good in your deck, because you have so many creatures, but just in general I think it's better in a deck that actually cares about either the word "sacrifice" or the zombies for being zombies rather than the zombies being bodies. Lena seems bad here, I don't know how many nontoken creatures you'll have. I think Crush Contraband could get cut for more efficient removal, maybe Anguished Unmaking or Utter End if you want a budget version. Moan of the Unhallowed is ... straight up bad I think.
Let me know if these were helpful or if you need more cuts.
1 month ago
Optimator: Hello there! Always gotta love Vilis decks, especially as detailed as this one :D A lot of cards in Maybeboard would fit the deck really well (I just have no idea why you got some cards two or three times there), but I would try to minimalize the maybeboard as much as possible, to not look the deck so chaotic.
I run Vilis in my Syr Konrad's For the Void deck.. he doesnt really fit the theme/idea of the deck so well, but Vilis is just too badass to cut out :D (anyway, any feedback/suggestions would be welcomed aswell <3 )
Some cards in deck I would cut, why, and their replacement:
1) Falkenrath Noble - might be a nice card in an aristocrat deck, there isnt really any way to generate->sac big amount of your creatures to abuse Falkenrath Noble as much as possible, also costs . If you want an aristocrat, Bastion of Remembrance could be a possible option aswell. Its cheaper, gives you a 1/1 token and has the same effect as F.Noble. Sure, can't attack or block, but Bastion is also harder to remove since its an Enchantment.
2) Leaden Myr - as you already mentioned, a possible cut for some other mana-rock.. I would switch it for Malakir Rebirth Flip as an another kind of "protection" to either Vilis or another important creature at the moment. With Vilis on board, it even draws you two cards (destroy protection, draw two cards, triggering aristocrat-like effects at instant speed for only ? YES PLEASE! ). In worse case scenario, its also additional land drop. Another possible replacement could be Blood Celebrant, which synergies well with both Vilis and K'riik.
3) Liliana's Contract - would probably fit better in some Demon tribal deck or Conspiracy deck. You also have only six Demons in your deck, all of them with fairly high mana cost. As a better card-draw, I would add either Greed, since it draws you 3 cards with Vilis on board, maybe even Skullclamp that would draw you two cards every turn with Ophiomancer, but Greed would be most likey better option, since there isnt really any other way to generate a lot of tokens every turn.
4) Crux of Fate - no Dragons in your deck, not even so many of them in black in general, so outside of politic reason, other 5CMC or less boardwipes would be better. I personally love Life's Finale, its more expensive than Crux of Fate, but enables you to look and search in target opponent's deck and put up to 3 creatures from their deck into theri graveyard, which would synergize with Chainer, Dementia Master, Geth, Lord of the Vault and some other.
5) Ruinous Path - sorcery speed removal is kinda meh, so something like Hero's Downfall is just better. I personally like Eat to Extinction, even if its more expensive, it helps with top-deck managment (+exiles targeted creature/pw).
6) Cut few swamps for:
6a) Cabal Stronghold - Stronghold is cheap, can tap itself for and can give you plenty of later on.
6b) Emergence Zone - I personally love this utility land, just because it gives you spells Flash whenever you sac it. It doesnt ETB tapped and can help you casting some stuff when you sac it.
7) Chaos Wand - might be a fun card, but doesnt really fit the deck at all. I would cut it for Bontu's Monument to make a lot of your big black stuff cheaper and another small source of life-gain.
8) Big mana-rocks: Gilded Lotus and Thran Dynamo - I used to run those too, but slowly started replacing them with cheaper mana rocks like Thought Vessel and Arcane Signet. Hedron Archive is okay-ish since it can draw you two cards when you no longer need it, but with Vilis and especially mono-black, there can always be enough card draw.
9) Spellbook - would be fine, if you didnt manage to get your Reliquary Tower or Venser's Journal on board, but otherwise its just a dead card that does nothing to you anymore. I would rather replace it with Ivory Tower to get some life back.
10) Curtains' Call - I would replace this one for one of the following:
10a) Devour in Shadow/Vendetta - cheap removal that can potentionaly draws you X cards aswell.
10b) Dismember - depending on how big the creature is, but since you could cast it for only one and draw 4 cards aswell, its decent choice aswell.
10c) Snuff Out - free removal in 99.999% time, which can draws you 4 cards aswell, but not for black creatures, which, depending on your opponent's deck, might be important. Still most likely a better option.
10d) Tragic Slip - goes through indestructible, but requires a creature to die to be maximum effective, which might be sometimes a problem. Still, really good one.
10e) Malicious Affliction - another cheap removal, which is also locked to non-black creatures, but is able to destroy two creatures if a creature died already, so similar issue like Tragic Slip.
10f) Profane Command - I just totally love this card. Its not instant, but can be really flexible in various situations, so I would probably go for this as a replacement.
10g) Erebos's Intervention - similar to Profane Command, it flexile aswell, providing you to remove some indestructible creature and get some life; or serves as a fairly decent graveyard hate at instant speed.
I won't go through cards in maybeboard, even though there is plenty of really nice cards that would work so well in Vilis's deck, like Bolas's Citadel, Doom Whisperer, Font of Agonies and Phyrexian Reclamation and many more, it would just be a little too much, I would say... :D
I hope some of my suggestions will help, gonna upvote this for sure, just because it looks really nice, especially with so many possible cards that could easily fit so well :)
2 months ago
Here are some ideas.
Deathgreeter is a good card to utilize. It works really well in a sac-engine type deck.
Another card you could add is Falkenrath Noble. It only says target, but when someone has to sac a creature, the added bonus of losing life is infuriating.
Personally, I would add Scholar of Athreos. It seems a little expensive, but it works so well in a life-gain deck. It might not be exactly what you're looking for, but it would still synergize really well.
2 months ago
I would recommend an aristocratic build. You may choose to go spore counter route, which I'm not a huge fan of, but the following ones pull double duty (and I am a fan of):
On-theme Sac outlets that also make saprolings:
Deathspore Thallid: Great sac outlet and potential removal piece.
Savage Thallid: Another great sac outlet and protection piece.
Vitaspore Thallid: I think giving haste is the weakest effect of the bunch, this is just another budget on-theme sac outlet.
Budget sac payoffs,
Epicure of Blood and Marauding Blight-Priest: Help to increase the payoff of slimefoot and are so cheap they are essentially free (literally, ask anyone at your LGS for these, they have them and don't want them).
Falkenrath Noble: Who doesn't love life loss?
Poison-Tip Archer: Great blocker (reach and deathtouch? No one wants to lose there dragon to this) but this one starts to impact the budget.
Syr Konrad, the Grim: He just does soo much.
Vindictive Vampire: This guy should say life loss.... I mean, it's black and not red.
Zulaport Cutthroat: Classic but approaches a dollar.
Slime Foot god stuff,
Jade Mage: Back up slimefoot that does stuff at a discount.
Massacre Girl: Best board wipe in this build.
Verdant Force: It says EACH upkeep. Yes, each.
Gift of Doom: Cheap protection for slimefoot that has the added benefit of killing a saproling you already want dead.
Moldervine Reclamation: Card draw and life for just playing? Of course.
Snake Umbra: Protection and three cards every time you sac a saproling.
Sprout Swarm: Convoke makes this broken.
Some less budget friendly cards (all under $10, but above $1):
Ohran Frostfang: Turns each saproling into a card draw or a removal spell.
Pitiless Plunderer: Solid ramp.
Priest of Forgotten Gods: Under appreciated. This card does everything a black mage should be doing.
Tendershoot Dryad: Can win you the game on its own.
Black Market: Slime foot loves stupid amounts of mana.
Keen Sense: Insane card draw for 1 green mana.
Casualties of War: Expensive to cast but worth it. Worth it every time.
Best of luck building.
3 months ago
Very interesting deck. I would replace Vindictive Vampire with Falkenrath Noble. Same mana cost except it's a flying vampire and it leeches life whenever any creature dies whether you control it or not.
3 months ago
Hey, nice first brew of Edgar.
Consider adding a few more black one drop Vamps? Knight of the Ebon Legion and Indulgent Aristocrat are one drops who can be good with aggro or midrange Vamp strategies. Cards you could cut for these are Mortify and Tithe Drinker.
Diabolic Intent is another tutor to consider adding replacing New Blood. Ruinous Ultimatum wrecks your opponents in multiplayer Commander, it could replace Fumigate. Champion of Dusk's ETB effect is excellent draw with eminence, it could replace Falkenrath Noble. Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord is good with aggro and midrange Vamp strategies especially with Edgar, it could replace Dark Impostor.
Consider adding some more dual lands that can ETB untapped turn one to make black and some dual lands that can make white to replace some Plains?
Lands to consider cutting for these are 3x Plains, 1x Mountain and Reliquary Tower.
Good luck with your deck.
3 months ago
Thanks for the advice, !! This deck is one of my new decks built almost entirely out of cards on-hand. I bought the Venser's Journal, Gilded Lotus, and kind of bought the Torment of Hailfire and Exsanguinate for it and had the rest of the good (and bad) cards already in my collection in need of a home. As such, plenty of the card choices are not ideal or optimized. In a sense, this is a budget deck not looking for big-time upgrades yet. I'm aware that Deathgreeter and Falkenrath Noble don't synergize with my deck at all but they are just incidental lifegain and as early-game blockers. Definitely filler for now. Deathgreeter might have enough utility (in my meta) for his cost to stick around until I get something great for lifegain, such as Twilight Prophet or Exquisite Blood etc. I was thinking about replacing the noble with Ivory Tower since it's old and janky and one of those "works almost nowhere except this commander" cards. I want to play more games and see how important lifegain ends up being to me. Some decks run a shitload and some run almost none.
I've played five games now and in the three games where I played Ambition's Cost and/or Ancient Craving they have worked out. Ideally they smooth out my mid-game and draw me into more lands, ramp, and answers/removal to get up to Vilis. So far they have done so. I also don't have a ton of free-life-payment cards like Doom Whisperer so they serve as passable refueling for Vilis. More games will surely give me insight but for now I like them.
So far the ramp has worked out all right but I had an eye to add more already. I have twelve pieces (13 if you count Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx... oh to have a Cabal Coffers too!! Just gotta wait for Commander Legends). I usually have 7-10 in my decks so this is still feels like a good, high amount. I used to have Bubbling Muck and Dark Ritual in the ~105-card prototype but they were late cuts, reducing my overall ramp-card count without replacement. Five games isn't a huge sample size, to be sure, so I'm gonna feel it out some more before I make swaps. I would definitely add Thought Vessel as an early upgrade. I was also thinking of swapping the Leaden Myr for a mana rock that doesn't die to all my wraths.
Thanks again for your comments!
3 months ago
I cut the aristocrats cards like Zulaport Cutthroat and Poison-Tip Archer Falkenrath Noble etc. they just werent doing enough to win. Average cmc is a little on the high side at 3.5, but the idea is to reanimate the 5 cmc spells, not cast them. Considering some discard outlets. Strongly considering Smokestack. This deck has won numerous games, but in ways that are slow and grindy and uninteresting for others players who basically dont get to have any nice things. Does anyone have an idea how to speed her up?