|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Creature — Zombie Wizard
, , Sacrifice a creature: Search your library for a Zombie card and a Swamp card, reveal them, and put them into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
Corpse Harvester Discussion
1 month ago
With Corpse Harvester at the helm!
Finally done with my pseudo -challenge. I have 1 of each mono-color commander in my pauper list!
2 months ago
I don't think you need more combos... I think you need better mana, tutors and card draw to make your current combos more consistent. Running one or two combos is probably good enough, especially since zombie decks tend to be good at the beat-face plan, too. Counter-magic is worth considering, though not everyone likes running it.
Mana: Ramp is a big part of EDH. Having fast, reliable access to your colors is indispensable -- this is part of the reason two-cost rocks are better than three-cost rocks. I think Talisman of Dominance is probably better than Commander's Sphere . It comes down a turn earlier, and it allows you to cast your general turn three. Cards like Charcoal Diamond , Sky Diamond and Coldsteel Heart are also good, though their coming into play tapped is a real setback. Underground River is a land you should consider, as are Morphic Pool and Drowned Catacomb .
Tutors: Demonic Tutor and Vampiric Tutor are the gold-standard here, though they're also rather hard to get ahold of. I like Dark Petition and Diabolic Tutor ; you might want to consider Entomb or Buried Alive to get your Gravecrawler and friends into the 'yard. If you include Animate Dead , Reanimate , Necromancy , Exhume and/or Dance of the Dead you can get out your Grave Titan or Overseer of the Damned real fast. Reanimation packages are good.
Card Draw: There're a few cards I think you either didn't know about or overlooked in this area.
Graveborn Muse : This card is BUSTED in zombie decks. Even staying out for just one turn cycle can get you four or five cards easily, making it a way better Phyrexian Arena . If you choose to run something like Whip of Erebos , you can pretty easily recoup the life.
Cantrips: Ponder , Preordain and Brainstorm are all excellent cards; in Vintage, these are signatures of Xerox-decks. They'll dig you to lands if you need them, and get you past lands if you don't. Note that Brainstorm goes from OK to really good with the inclusion of shuffle-effects, like your Evolving Wilds . Running more of these lands, like Prismatic Vista , Flooded Strand , Polluted Delta , or even just Bad River or Rocky Tar Pit is a good idea.
Treasure Cruise / Dig Through Time : These are good ways to utilize lands or similar non-functional-in-graveyard cards you mill with Gisa and Geralf . Depending on how full your yard typically ends up, running one or both of these is probably a good idea.
Distant Melody : I'm not sure how many zombies you have, but having an average of four or more zombies will make this worth including.
Undead Augur : This card will help you out-draw opponents.
Corpse Harvester : While not technically card-draw, it is a good form of card-advantage. It'll get you both swamps and whatever creature you need. If you include Fetid Pools , Sunken Hollow or Watery Grave , you can fetch those, too.
Fact or Fiction : This is card-draw and self-mill all packed into one card.
Patriarch's Bidding : This is a great way for tribal decks to come back from a boardwipe.
Coat of Arms : This is a lot of mana to invest in an easily-killed artifact, though it is worth considering. This can rather easily pump your guys with +5/+5.
Gray Merchant of Asphodel : This is a good way to recoup life, while at the same time pressuring your opponents' life totals.
Rot Hulk : I'd run this in any zombie deck.
Exclude : In a creature-heavy meta, this is probably worth running as it does not cost card advantage.
Right -- that's all from me. Good luck!
2 months ago
I think any zombie-heavy EDH deck would benefit from the assistance of Corpse Harvester ! Being able to tutor out any zombie as you need them is hard to beat in a highlander format, especially considering he ensures you get a land drop each time, and that you can just grab a Gravecrawler to keep feeding him without losing any cards. Likewise, finding room for Diabolic Intent would be pretty great, as you can grab whatever you need for only two mana and a zombie who will likely come back anyway!
2 months ago
Lol — I was just thinking about TSG in EDH, and then I saw this. I always loved zombie decks. Feel free to ignore and/or heed my suggestions as you see fit.
Since you aren’t running Call to the Grave (which I think is bad anyways), you can run non-zombie zombie-enablers. Cephalid Vandal comes to mind, as filling your graveyard will be useful most of the time.
Though they may interfere with Gravecrawler / Skullclamp loops, zombie lords are abundant in MTG. I like that you’re already running Cemetery Reaper and friends; have you considered Zombie Master or Undead Warchief ?
Your deck can probably use some more ramp to speed it up. Talisman of Dominance , Fellwar Stone , Corrupted Grafstone , Mind Stone and the soon-to-release Arcane Signet are all worth strong consideration. In my experience, there is a big difference between 2 and 3 mana rocks; consider replacing Commander's Sphere .
Card draw is bonkers in EDH. Graveborn Muse is a powerhouse, and I strongly suggest adding it. Fact or Fiction is likely another good card here, as binning cards is a form of card advantage for you. Night's Whisper , Mirrodin Besieged and Phyrexian Arena are also worth considering.
4 months ago
skillz2125, so true. Especially the good ones like: Demonic Tutor , Vampiric Tutor and the most expensive of them all: Imperial Seal . The best one I own is Diabolic Intent but that's in another deck. I suppose Corpse Harvester is, and he's obviously in here but thats on a creature. Other than that though, I have Diabolic Tutor and Razaketh's Rite and Mastermind's Acquisition available but theyre so expensive CMC wise. And I wouldnt even know what to cut for them.
6 months ago
Some cards to consider:
- Bojuka Bog : A must include in any black commander deck.
- Boneknitter : Utility, simple as that.
- Corpse Harvester : Out with the old, in with the new... and a swamp!
- Cryptbreaker : So much value in such a small package. Token generating, card draw, good in the early and late game... what is not to love about this card!
- Death Baron : A zombie lord with some extra punch Sure he doesn't get deathtouch himself, but all those 2/2 tokens that are now 3/3 deathtouch.
- Dread Summons : Ever seen those zombie movies with that big hoard that just keeps coming... that's this card. Gives you a bunch of tokens, and recursion bait for your commander.
- Endless Ranks of the Dead : Card title kind of says it all for this one. Obviously not the best in metas with wrath effects coming down every turn, but shines like a copper penny otherwise.
- Ghoulcaller Gisa : So take one creature, throw it under the bus, and get more...
- Grave Titan : Why this thing isn't a zombie I will never know. 6/6 for 6, deathtouch, and brings two friends with it AND when it attacks.
- Graveborn Muse : Card draw based on zombies, who is also a zombie!
- Infernal Caretaker : Mass recursion, either play them out, or discard them back for more effects.
- Liliana, Death's Majesty : Just an all around strong zombie planeswalker.
- Liliana's Mastery : Zombies + an anthem that won't be a big target for removal.
- Lord of the Undead : A low to the ground zombie lord with recursion on a stick.
- Noxious Ghoul : Sweeps out low toughness cards for things you're already doing. Just great value.
- Relentless Dead : A great early drop, and late game it serves as a sac target + recursion.
- Shepherd of Rot : Yes it hits you, but this can be such a major threat.
- Undead Warchief : Cheaper zombies, and bigger zombies. All in one convenient package.
- Awaken the Erstwhile : Disruption, plain and simple. Sure it hurts your hand too, but you are the one with all the zombie based anthems.
- Victim of Night : Doomblade 2.0, but hits black creatures.
- Sidisi, Undead Vizier : You'll have so many tokens kicking around to exploit that she's just a straight tutor, and if she ever hits the graveyard just use her again with Scarab God.
- Fleshbag Marauder : Hurts them a lot more than you, and enter the battlefield abilities are great with Scarab around.
- Josu Vess, Lich Knight : Solid 4/5 Menace for 4, got the extra 6 mana though and he brings friends who also have menace.
- Wonder : Flying zombies... yep, that's scary.
- Pull from Tomorrow : Nice draw on an instant with the added benefit to pitch something for Scarab to target.
- Price of Fame : Legendary killer + Surveil 2... love it.
- Sinister Sabotage : Counterspell + Surveil... love it too.
- Paradox Haze : You've got a couple effects that trigger on upkeep, why not double up?
- The deck currently seems to be going in two directions, you have a large zombie theme which I love, but you also have a minor mill theme which seems out of place.
- Advanced Stitchwing : Slow for what it gives, even on the bounce back it comes back tapped.
- Apprentice Necromancer : This is one I'm on the fence suggesting, it's a one use for one turn only.
- Grimgrin, Corpse-Born : This guy is beast, but he works best in a deck build around him.
- Lamplighter of Selhoff : Slow, for his effect.
- Merciless Eternal : He's not bad, just a lot better things to include in the 3 cost bracket.
- Phenax, God of Deception : Love this guy, really do, but he's out of place here because he's a mill guy who loves big butts.
- Relentless Skaabs : This guy does everything you don't want as he hurts your graveyard in order to even hit play.
- Servant of Tymaret : Slow with high cost. In order to make the best use of him you have to be attacking, and if the way isn't clear that means a 3 mana tax just for 1 life on each opponent.
- Spiteful Returned : Don't hate it, but better things out there.
- Stitchwing Skaab : Suffers from the same as Advanced Stitchwing.
- Undead Alchemist : This guy can go either way, but the way I look at him is generally people have more cards in their decks than life, so it's easier to take out their life.
- Vindictive Lich : This guy is fun, though for his cost there is a lot more out there.
- Exotic Orchard : Risky unless you know your playgroup always has one of your colors, otherwise it's just a colorless and a swamp or island would be just as good.
- Leechridden Swamp : Slows you down for a minor effect.
- Path of Ancestry : Phenax is the only other god creature, so even if you keep him in it's very slow for the benefit it probably will never get the chance to give.
- Coat of Arms : I love this card, I really do, but it's a calculated risk and I find zombies are usually too slow of it. Run up against a goblin or elf deck and this will do more for your opponent.
- Mindcrank : This is another I'm on the fence with as it pairs really well with Scarab.
- Vanquisher's Banner : Good card, though you're not casting all those tokens so you're only getting a bit of a benefit from it.
- Liliana Vess : Good card, out of place in this deck unless you are going heavier into the mill.
- Ob Nixilis Reignited : Just completely out of place for zombie tribal.
- Glimpse the Unthinkable : One of those mill cards, it suffers as a one of.
- Rise from the Grave : Expensive for effect.
- Ruthless Disposal : This isn't bad in this deck, but compared to Morbid Slip for example it lacks that added shine.
- Curse of Disturbance : So much politics, this is VERY meta dependent as to if players fall for the bait.
- Quest for the Gravelord : This can work out, but more often then not stuff isn't dying fast enough or it just gets pinged with early removal.
- Search for Azcanta Flip: More at home in a non-creature strategy.
- Torment of Scarabs : Most people can play around this with not too much fuss, and it gives all the choice to them. I'd prefer some targeted removal.
7 months ago
What would you in this case kick for the executioner? I already included a Necropotence for the Corpse Harvester . I know that the activated ability of The Scarab God is suuuper powerful, but in my gameplan he's mostly there for the drain/cycle, although i surely will use his ability from time to time :) If I feel the zombies are too slow in general, I will add more Rocks. Do you have any ideas on which one are the best here?
Corpse Harvester occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%