Army of the Damned
Create thirteen tapped 2/2 black Zombie creature tokens.
Flashback (You may cast this card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then exile it.)
|Have (2)||metalmagic , Forkbeard|
|Want (3)||SinisterSam , maelstromverdy , KnutW|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Army of the Damned occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Army of the Damned Discussion
2 weeks ago
Ramping in monoblack is difficult but not impossible. I'd suspect an EDH Ba'al deck would see as many tutors as possible to ensure ramp. Probably an Aristocrat-themed deck with Relentless Rats and Shadowborn Apostle to pad your base out as you get your pieces set. Then, mass-sacrifice your boardstate to flood it with zombies and demons. If that plan fails, the rats provide a generous anthem effect as their banners stack and the apostles provide additional growth all on their own.
Probably nested with wraths in order to stop opponents dead in their tracks should you begin to fall behind, with some bombs to play into your ramp if Ba'al fails to land. Bombs such as Army of the Damned and Josu Vess, Lich Knight. These would provide the fodder for Ba'al to land properly the following turn. Sure, you'd be trading 2/2 zombies for 2/2 zombies which sounds ignorant, but it also brings 5/5 demons if you can manage it.
1 month ago
Some good cards are Boneknitter and maybe DEFINITELY a Bone Miser although those are expensive. Some banger cheap cards are Call to the Grave and Corpseweft. Some cards to just fuck around and have fun is Army of the Damned and Dread Slaver
2 months ago
I see a lot of shiny cards! Love the deck "intro" :D
Instead of typing all the cards I would suggest, I got a similar deck, just with Syr Konrad, the Grim: For the Void, the idea of the deck, just like with Ayara, is to get creatures, kills them, ping opponents to death.. with few bonuses. Maybe you'll like some cards, I would definitely suggest Tortured Existence (even if it doesnt like working with Necropotence, because of the discarding into exile), with Desecrated Tomb to make a 1/1 black bat token with flying for at instant speed and since Ayara loves black creatures, its would be really good :D Black itself offers a lot of card draw to replace Necropotence.
I also wrote an explanation why I use every single card in the deck, if you would wonder why some stuff are even in there. :D Also if you would decide to give some feedback aswell, I would appreaciate it :P
Anyway, about some cards I would probably replace here:
1) Ugin, the Ineffable - making colorless cards cheaper is definitely nice, but most cards here are already cheap enough with a decent mono-black ramp, which just make it less effective 6 drop. Making tokens into card draw when they die is alright, but again, black has tons of way to generate tokens and card draw (also less synergy with Ayara, since those tokens arent black). His permanent removal is a little bit better for mono-black decks, but since it takes 2 turns to use that ability again (and killing Ugin in process) is slow, cards like Meteor Golem would be probably much more effective as a permanent removal, since it just targets any permanent no matter the color AND is a creature, so sac Meteor Golem and reanimate later. Also, Feed the Swarm.
2) Cemetery Reaper - there is only 5 other Zombie creatures (if I dont count tokens from Grave Titan,Army of the Damned and Open the Graves). Even with some zombies on board, +1/+1 is pretty small buff and Cemetery Reaper is just slow token generator.
3) Beseech the Queen - even for , you are forced to reveal the tutored card, which makes it pretty bad tutor and in my personal opinion, one of the worst tutors in mono-black. As much as I love BtQ art, its a big no from me. Just for , there is budget Diabolic Tutor that wont make you reveal the card you tutored for. Or, a bit more expensive, but mana cheaper and great in token decks: Diabolic Intent. BsQ also limits you by the number of lands you control, so its less effective in the early game.
4) Caged Sun - I know how the mana doubling is nice, but since it costs to get out, then wait a turn to get value out of it might be slow. I think tutoring for Cabal Coffers/Cabal Stronghold might be just faster and more effective. Similar problem with Gauntlet of Power, even if it costs less, it affects lands of the chosen color your opponents control too, which just might lead to some ugly moments :D Probably something like Mirage Mirror would be a good replacement, so you can make an additional copy of Cabal Coffers. Another one could be Pawn of Ulamog, since you have plenty of creatures and those 0/1 Eldrazi tokens could help you with ramp.
Some more cards that could be nice:
1) Piper of the Swarm - cheap creature that buffs some of your other rats and can make rat tokens for cheap aswell, with mind control effect too. There are some really cool Ayara decks with rat tribal aswell.
2) Clackbridge Troll - I pretty like this card since I first saw it... its big ugly troll that does a lot of stuff, forcing your opponent to sac a creature to give you 3 life and 1 card, ooorrrr you the troll hits them! :D
3) Songs of the Damned/Bubbling Muck - both are pretty good to give you a lot of mana to cast a some big stuff during a single turn.
4) Malakir Rebirth Flip - this is definitely a cool card from the last set, giving either Ayara or any other creature important at the moment "protection" or just use it as a land if needed. With Vilis on board, it also draws you 2 cards for at instant speed.
2 months ago
Removed: Army of the Damned Black Market Blasting Station Empty the Pits Endless Ranks of the Dead The Immortal Sun Herald's Horn Empty the Pits Notion Rain Torment of Hailfire Liliana, Dreadhorde General
3 months ago
maybe some inexpensive black cards to try Sanguine Bond with Blood Tribute for extra points throw in Aetherflux Reservoir. as for death triggers and graveyard shenanigans Endless Obedience, along withWight of Precinct Sixand Grimoire of the Dead . for tokens can't beat Army of the Damned with Ayara, First of Lochthwain this can be deadly. you might wanna throw in a tutor or two Diabolic Tutor + Mastermind's Acquisition...last thoughts Bontu's Monument Throne of the God-Pharaoh...any way hope that helps ..happy shopping
3 months ago
Since you're new, check out cards from the magic sets Innistrad, Dark Ascension, and Avacyn Restored for Halloween-like cards. It's the classic gothic horror plane in magic. They did return to it later in Shadows over Innistrad and Eldritch Moon, but it's not as strongly of a gothic horror theme. From the Innistrad block you have cards like Army of the Damned, Grimgrin, Corpse-Born, Mikaeus, the Unhallowed (zombie version of Mikaeus, the Lunarch), Griselbrand, Grimoire of the Dead, Olivia Voldaren, Descent into Madness, Werewolves that transform, etc.
5 months ago
Hello, TypicalTimmy. I don't really mean to necro this, but I somehow missed your post back when you made it. I would like to address it now, though.
I agree with you on how powerful the Army of the Damned and 2x Undead Warchief are in the deck. They got added by design and are actually in the deck to created blowouts for the Horde! Same with some of the other cards in the deck.
I do like the idea of adding The Scarab God for flavor and to put a clock on the Survivors. But, I am worried about the activated ability. Since the Horde has infinite mana, it would immediately activate it's ability on all available targets every turn it is in play. This may make it impossible to beat for the Survivors. I am going to add it and see how it plays out. But it might be way too far up the power scale for this. And the Horde does have a hand, can draw cards, and can hold cards in it. It just usually empties it's hand in the pre-combat main phase if it has anything in it. Or post-combat main phase if stuff got bounced during combat.
I won't be adding Liliana, Untouched By Death mostly for flavor and because the Horde is not supposed to use decision-making cards and planeswalkers have situational abilities so this would seem pushing against one of the core rules. Also, it's more a horde of mindless zombies than a concerted military effort and her presence on the battlefield would seem a little too intentional. I know I have some lords here to buff the horde, but I pretend they are only a tiny bit more self-willed than the zombies around them.
Thank you very much for providing insight and suggestions to the deck! I appreciate the help!