|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander Anthology 2018 (CM2)||Rare|
|Iconic Masters (IMA)||Rare|
|Masterpiece Series: Kaladesh Inventions (MPS)||Mythic Rare|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
, : Put a fate counter on target permanent.
, , Sacrifice Oblivion Stone: Destroy each nonland permanent without a fate counter on it, then remove all fate counters from all permanents.
|Have (4)||Zyrook , robbnoble , gosora , jecder|
|Want (11)||gigimaci , kingcowofcows , Ignis_Rana , Voidraizer , DankMagicianD , Barberik , PTsmitty , Josh_theWizard , Kagu11 , thedeafkid101 , sonnet666|
Oblivion Stone Discussion
3 days ago
I love Planar Bridge with Seedborn Muse . Use the bridge to find Muse on your turn, and get any permanent of your choice from your deck during each player's turn. Also Planar Bridge and Doubling Cube are both nice targets for Whir of Invention and Fabricate , which can also find Nevinyrral's Disk or Oblivion Stone when needed, or, in a pinch, Sol Ring .
4 days ago
maybe: Dark Depths
1 week ago
I think there's a greater need to find mainboard space for Ancient Stirrings to increase reliability against the proliferate turn 3 goldfish kills.
3 weeks ago
> weird mashup of ramp into semi-big threats with suboptimal control elements.
That's actually a great definition of what Ponza is all about! I usually describe the deck more like "aggressive ramp into bulk rares that you would never expect could be good in Modern, with an overlay of annoying mana-denial Control", but yours will certainly do. The thing is, it works surprisingly well in many metas.
> besides fetchlands, what activated or triggered abilities are you hoping to stop with Repudiate / Replicate
I actually laid that out in the deck description, but in case you missed it here it is again:
- Opponent transforms a Thing in the Ice? Repudiate the triggered ability and our team stays on the field.
- Opponent wants to make us sac' a creature with Lili, put a Terminus on top with Jace, or ultimate whatever random Planeswalker they have? Repudiate the activated ability and we've totally turned the game around.
- Opponent tries to Modular a ton of +1/+1 counters onto their attacking Inkmoth Nexus, wipe our board with an Oblivion Stone, Equip a Batterskull, Crew a Smuggler's Copter, etc, etc, etc? Repudiate gives us answers (or at least options) we never had in 'normal' Ponza.
Here are more details though, looking at the top meta decks in turn ...
- UR Phoenix: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Awoken Horror . Often good vs. triggers of Snapcaster Mage and Arclight Phoenix .
- Dredge: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Bloodghast and Narcomoeba (if opp has multiple Prized Amalgam in the graveyard) or Prized Amalgam (if there's only one). Often good vs. triggers of Creeping Chill and Stinkweed Imp , and activated ability of Shriekhorn .
- Tron: Often game-changing vs. -X of Ugin, the Spirit Dragon or activated ability of Oblivion Stone . Often good vs. triggers of Wurmcoil Engine , Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger , activated ability of Walking Ballista , Expedition Map , and Relic of Progenitus , and -3 of Karn Liberated .
- Humans: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Kitesail Freebooter , Meddling Mage , Phantasmal Image , and Reflector Mage , and activated ability of Aether Vial . Often good vs. triggers of Champion of the Parish , Noble Hierarch , and Thalia's Lieutenant (plus Anafenza, the Foremost , Deputy of Detention , Kambal, Consul of Allocation , and Sin Collector , if they have them).
- UW Control: Often game-changing vs. actived ability of Celestial Colonnade . Often good vs. +1 (since they're tapped out the next turn) and -3 of Teferi, Hero of Dominaria , and 0 of Jace, the Mind Sculptor (if we think they have a Terminus ).
- Burn: Often good vs. trigger of Monastery Swiftspear and Eidolon of the Great Revel , and activated ability of Grim Lavamancer .
- Hardened Affinity: Often game-changing vs. Modular of Arcbound Ravager and trigger of Hangarback Walker , and activated ability of Inkmoth Nexus . Often good vs. triggered ability of Arcbound Worker , and activated ability of Walking Ballista , Steel Overseer , Welding Jar , Animation Module , Throne of Geth , and Blinkmoth Nexus .
- Grixis Shadow: Meh. Perhaps good vs. trigger of Snapcaster Mage or activated ability of Mishra's Bauble .
- Amulet Titan: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Primeval Titan . Often good vs. trigger of Amulet of Vigor , Trinket Mage and Bojuka Bog , and activated ability of Walking Ballista , Engineered Explosives , Gemstone Mine , Ghost Quarter , Slayers' Stronghold , and Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion .
- RG Rock: Often game-changing vs. +1 and -2 of Liliana of the Veil , +1 and -2 of Liliana, the Last Hope . Often good vs. triggered and activated abilities of Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet , triggered abilites of Tireless Tracker , and activated ability of Scavenging Ooze , Hissing Quagmire , and Treetop Village .
- Whir Prison: Meh. Perhaps good vs. trigger of Bottled Cloister and activated ability of Engineered Explosives , Mishra's Bauble , Tormod's Crypt , Welding Jar , and Inventors' Fair .
- Old-school Affinity: Often game-changing vs. Modular of Arcbound Ravager , Equip of Cranial Plating , and activated ability of Inkmoth Nexus . Often good vs. trigger of Signal Pest and activated ability of Welding Jar and Blinkmoth Nexus .
- Ad Nauseum: Meh. Perhaps good vs. activated ability of Simian Spirit Guide .
- Spirits: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Phantasmal Image , Reflector Mage , and Spell Queller , and activated ability of Mausoleum Wanderer and Aether Vial . Often good vs. trigger of Mausoleum Wanderer , Noble Hierarch , Rattlechains , Geist of Saint Traft , and Deputy of Detention , and activated ability of Selfless Spirit .
All that said, it's clear that in many cases a 2-mana counterspell (e.g., Negate or Mana Leak ) is better than a 2-mana stifle effect ... certainly UW Control has found that to be the case! What's not clear to me yet is if that's the case in UG Control as well ...
3 weeks ago
I think Regna's Sanction isn't too necessary in the deck since you don't have a lot of creatures so it will help your opponents more than yourself. You may also want to remove Aetherflux Reservoir since it is kinda slow and is just asking to be blown up, if you are going for spell slinging damage then maybe Sentinel Tower may be better or just swapping it out for a Oblivion Stone for an additional board wipe.
4 weeks ago
You're playing an aggressive deck so you're already in good shape to beat Tron. Early Tron can result in Wurmcoil Engine or Ugin, both of which are problematic for you. If they don't get a quick Tron they still can get to Oblivion Stone , which forces you to reset. Sorcerous Spyglass is a good option because it's good vs UW Control as well. You can name Teferi or Jace which makes it harder for them to stabilize. Then you can slow-roll your threats which makes Terminus less effective. Especially because you play some creatures with haste.
To be honest I expect burn to be a harder matchup for you than Tron.
I don't like that sideboard at all. Way too polarized. 3 Molten Rain and 3 Sorcerous Spyglass is more than enough Tron hate. In this meta I highly recommend graveyard hate. Rakdos Charm is graveyard and artifact hate (both very relevant). 4 Murderous Cut is way too many.
If you run into Dredge you'll need more than just a Rakdos charm to win. Anger of the Gods goes a long way - much further than Blasphemous Act . Very few decks should have enough creatures to make casting Blasphemous Act easy. Although Humans and Spirits and Phoenix can outclass Anger pretty easily too. Damnation might be the move.
You'll also probably run into problems with Rock decks. They have a lot of removal and card advantage.
Maybe start with this:
2-3 Damping Sphere - this also hates on Storm, which looks ugly for your deck. But if you're worried about taxing yourself then play Molten Rain or Fulminator Mage . Molten Rain and Fulminator are also really really good vs Control.
3-4 Sweeper of your choice
2 Collective Brutality - Awesome against Burn and control and combo decks and synergizes with your madness. If your burn matchup is good then don't bother with this.
0-3 Fatal Push or Dreadbore or Murderous Cut . I wouldn't play more than 1 Murderous Cut . But having spot removal for Thing in the Ice Flip, Crackling Drake , Tarmogoyf , Scavenging Ooze , etc. is a good idea.
4 weeks ago
Thank you for those suggestions, sylvannos! Taking them into consideration, what about the following list?
2x Blasphemous Act (For dealing with the tribal/creature based decks in my meta)
3x Molten Rain (For shutting down ramp/Tron)
4x Murderous Cut (For dealing with mid to late game creature threats)
1 month ago
Oblivion Stone may be a good one to get also to save your commander specifically a little on the pricy side for this deck if you do add it but its a full board wipe
Oblivion Stone occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.09%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.03%