Creature — Vampire
At the beginning of your upkeep, each player loses 1 life. Put a +1/+1 counter on Blood Tyrant for each 1 life lost this way.
Whenever a player loses the game, put five +1/+1 counters on Blood Tyrant.
|Have (4)||Taki117 , sonnet666 , metalmagic , pskinn01|
Printings View all
|Archenemy: Nicol Bolas (E01)||Rare|
|Commander 2016 (C16)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Blood Tyrant Discussion
2 months ago
"This way" always refers only to earlier effects of the same spell or ability. Just as Agent of Masks and Blood Tyrant do not bolster each other's effect, a flashed back Ignite the Future will not modify any other Ignite the Future 's cards.
1 year ago
Illicit Auction is pretty similar but you'd lose out on hipster points cutting it. I personally find Blood Tyrant & Skyline Despot to be pretty underwhelming relative to their cost but you might have contradictory experiences.
Also, Psychic Battle is another SSS occupier with a choice aspect to it, although it might be too annoyingly chaotic.
1 year ago
From my Marchesa deck:
Blood Tyrant is great if it can survive. Dark Impostor is really scary if you can exile a few commanders. Drana, Liberator of Malakir is pretty scary. Hellhole Flailer is decent removal. Malakir Cullblade HOLY SHIT that got big fast. Marchesa's Smuggler can come out of nowhere. Ob Nixilis, the Fallen is really, really big. Fervor doesn't seem that great, but it can destroy removal-centric control decks. Rhystic Study is SO MUCH DRAAAW. Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker is easily the best artifact/enchantment removal in Grixis. Blasphemous Act is awesome when death is impermanent. Killing Wave is in the same boat. Rakdos's Return ANNIHILATES combo players. Use Sudden Demise on the G or W player, or even on your guys. Bident of Thassa is just awesome.
And there's still an entire Meren deck to cover.
Attrition. Champion of Stray Souls is good for those who fall through the cracks or just as a bluff. 'Even if you DO finally kill my guy he'll just come back'. Corpse Traders against combo players. Disciple of Bolas is good draw and it can be a TON. Slum Reaper is good, and wildly asymmetrical. Stronghold Assassin, in your build, is recursive Attrition. Vampiric Rites is really good early game. Westvale Abbey Flip is stupid difficult to remove, starting as a land and then an indestructible creature.
And finally, my favorite one of all: Vindictive Lich. I normally use it as a political piece, letting people pick the fate that seems least bad. Through that, I learn what their unique kryptonite is. I then use that once I am strong enough that I don't need any alliances.
1 year ago
1 year ago
Also, looks like your deck is a little light on mana ramp as well, especially considering all of the higher casting cost bombs in there
2 years ago
TheWallinator74, the reason i've removed my Blood Tyrant from the box was exactly what you typed. He was growing too much on each game that i had him on the field and it started to get boring to my opponents. I'll take a look at Pulse Tracker and Infectious Horror.
I'll take a look on the "sweepers" as well but i'll replace Exsanguinate for Blood Tithe. I would love to put the God-Pharaoh in place of the Deciever but he's really expensive in my country at the moment so for now the Deciever shall be the walker card of this deck.
Lastly, this deck didn't have any mana problems in the matches i've played so i see no need to put other lands on it for now. Thanks a lot for the suggestions.
2 years ago
I think that i will modify the deck a bit:
metallurgic summoning is still here, but i don't know if it's necessary. 30 instant and sorceries should be fine, or not?Saucealicious
2 years ago
Considering your deck's theme, I'd suggest making the following cuts:
- Abhorrent Overlord; there are cheaper ways to generate tokens
- Blood Tyrant; nice creature but doesn't seem to fit in this deck's theme
- Malfegor; this fits better into a Nekusar wheel-deck
- Prince of Thralls; expensive to cast and most players will pay the three life anyway if they think you're getting something that makes you too strong.
- Rakshasa Gravecaller; too expensive CMC for what it does.
- Rune-Scarred Demon; tutoring is always nice, but there are cheaper ways to do this; consider adding Beseech the Queen instead.
- Sepulchral Primordial; nice but imho too expensive to cast for what it does.
- Triskelion; sure, it goes infinite with Mikaeus, the Unhallowed on the table. But every player in the world knows this and as soon as either Mikaeus or Trisk enters the field, you can be pretty sure every player using blue or red will have counterspells waiting for the other half of the combo. Even worse, opponents will often let you use your tutors to get the other half of the combo, and then counter your casting of the combo piece; which results in you losing your tutor for nothing.
As for additions:
- Burnished Hart and Solemn Simulacrum; much needed ramp for this color combination;
- Gravecrawler; bit expensive to buy, but very handy considering your sac theme;
- Cemetery Reaper; pours on GY-hate, gives all your zombies a bonus AND produces relatively cheap tokens, what more could you ask for?
- Lich Lord of Unx; nice token generator;
- Nightscape Familiar; nice, cheap utility creature that you can regenerate;
- Undead Alchemist; more GY-hate and another nice token generator to boot.
- Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet; one of the best creatures you could add, but he's a bit expensive ...
- Lord of the Undead; also a bit expensive, but the bonus and that recursion could really be worth it.
While we're on the topic of getting more bang for your buck, I'd also suggest getting rid of all of your sorceries, except for Chainer's Edict and Diabolic Tutor. In their stead I'd suggest some cheap counterspells and removal, Barter in Blood and some more zombie-token generator spells like Syphon Flesh and Dark Salvation. Also, add some more ramp if you can, like Commander's Sphere.