|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Iconic Masters (IMA)||Uncommon|
|Khans of Tarkir (KTK)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Orc Assassin
Outlast (, : Put a +1/+1 counter on this creature. Outlast only as a sorcery.)
Each creature you control with a +1/+1 counter on it has deathtouch.
Mer-Ek Nightblade Discussion
1 month ago
2 months ago
3 months ago
- Swords to Plowshares > Wanderer's Strike
- Counterspell > Fuel for the Cause
- Dismember > Grim Affliction
- Brainstorm > Steady Progress
There's mana efficient budget staple Commander cards that can replace many of the very cards you think you should keep. Start with staples that are within your budget, include them first, then add "two for ones". Your right two for ones are good, but the card must be worth the mana cost for the two for one to matter. None of the cards you're explaining to me about are worth the mana cost. Over mana costed cards that have proliferate slapped on them as a one time effect are not worth it when you can play many repeatable sources of proliferate and can also get the very same one time effect from much lower cost mana efficient cards.
Dovin has a good ultimate, but that's it. Best not to play Planeswalkers just for their ultimate because it's too likely that you will not get it. Dovin's other abilities are lackluster, not worth playing. In any game you would much rather play four drop Atraxa, Tamiyo, Field Researcher or Ajani Steadfast than Dovin. Dovin is just getting in the way of other much more powerful four drops. Can't count on having Doubling Season every game to ultimate your Planeswalkers especially since you're not playing any mana efficient tutors that can get Season.
Mer-Ek Nightblade and Abzan Battle Priest are more four drops and there's too many four drops here especially since Atraxa is the four drop you want to consistently cast or a Planeswalker. Nightblade and Priest are lackluster four drops compared to the rest of the four drops; they require other cards (creatures to have a counter on them) to be decent and that's not good compared to the other four drops.
True Conviction and Plasm Capture are fine cards, but the manabase here can't support them. Their difficult mana costs are not costs you want to have to worry about in a four color deck. They aren't powerful enough as singletons to want to change your manabase or mana sources to play them.
3 months ago
multimedia, I shall address each card that you have mentioned.
Wanderer's Strike is a removal spell as well as a source of proliferation; it unconditionally exiles any creature and provides additional counters on permanents. I do feel that five mana is a high cost, and it really should have been an instant, but the fact that it provides two effects in one card makes it too useful to remove.
Fuel for the Cause is the same; it is a two-for-one card, so I prefer to keep it.
Grim Affliction can work as a removal spell, which any deck should have.
I will admit that I am having difficulty in deciding which card between Steady Progress and Tezzeret's Gambit to remove, but the fact that the former is an instant means that I shall likely keep it. Drawing two cards is obviously very nice, but the difference between an instant and sorcery can often mean the difference between victory and defeat (which is why I did not replace Grim Affliction with Courage in Crisis ).
I feel that Plasm Capture is too good to not have in any deck that contains blue and green, since it provides essentially free mana.
Privileged Position is too good to not include in any deck that supports its colors, for reasons that should be entirely self-explanatory.
I have True Conviction in every EDH deck of mine that contains white, and, in the case of this deck, it is an excellent combination with Archangel of Thune , since every additional creature shall provide an additional trigger for the angel's ability, and the same is true with Abzan Battle Priest , which is in this deck specifically to combo with the archangel.
Mer-Ek Nightblade should be entirely self-explanatory.
I have Dovin Baan in this deck specifically for his emblem; in fact, six out of the eight planeswalkers in this deck produce emblems, which was a choice that I made very deliberately, and the other two both have abilities that grant +1/+1 counters to all creatures, which was another very deliberate choice.
Out of all the cards that you mentioned, I actually had Thrummingbird in this deck, before I replaced it with Grateful Apparition , but, after considering your words, the redundancy would be nice, so I shall put that card in this deck, again, and I shall likely replace Tezzeret's gambit with it, which shall also allow me to replace Mortify with Utter End .
4 months ago
- I love this commander and think you've got a great start and idea, but you need to fully commit to the fact that this deck is all about Skullbriar being huge and smashing face, or one of his friends doing it. .
- You should put in Increasing Savagery , Hardened Scales , Solidarity of Heroes , Reyhan, Last of the Abzan , Fungal Behemoth , Vastwood Hydra , Retreat to Kazandu , Predator Ooze , Blessings of Nature to push the +1/+1 theme to the max. .
- Now, 2nd problem is having big creatures without trample. I see Tuskguard Captain and you've got Rancor already, which is 100% awesome and reusable, but you should have 2 reusable trample activators, so I recommend also adding Ring of Kalonia . .
- Having big creatures attacking also is usually stopped by awkward blocks. You need slightly better cheap removal so I recommend Titanic Brawl , Ancient Animus , Abrupt Decay . .
- 3rd Problem is when they actually block and kill something because they have no other way to deal with it. Make them hate blocking by just having Mer-Ek Nightblade on your field. And then resummon stuff with Journey to Eternity Flip! .
- 4th Problem is when you're smashing for 17 trample damage a turn, but they've got some stupid elf-shaman combo or human-ally combo that gains them 20 life a turn. And now they're at 55 life. Awkward. Get a sneaky kill in instantly with Tainted Strike on one of your big trample guys, just make sure you were about to do 10+ normal damage, and surprise win. (please put Tainted Strike in, even if you ignore every other card I suggested) .
- 5th Problem is your life-total. Sometimes you just need your 12/12 to have lifelink. Best way is Loxodon Warhammer , plus it gives you another trample activator!! .
- Also for ramp you should include Incubation Druid and Rampant Growth . I'd also use hexproof enabling with Alpha Authority .
- I would definitely remove the following since they don't fit with your deck idea overall to make room: Elves of Deep Shadow (don't need), Longtusk Cub (it ain't ever gonna happen), Witchstalker (useless against a red/white/green deck), Gaze of Granite (since it kills your things too), Animation Module (its slow and you should have better things to do with your mana than make 1/1s), Cloak and Dagger (no rogues, it's slow, Alpha Authority is better), Golgari Signet should be replace with Golgari Cluestone so you can sac/draw when you don't need mana anymore. Manalith (you have an aggro curve, don't need THAT much ramp), Plague Boiler (you're not a control deck), Skullclamp (since we're taking out Animation Module , you've got enough good draw), Wayfarer's Bauble (Rampant Growth is better), Greater Good (you're aggro not a graveyard-based-conrol deck), Preferred Selection & Primitive Etchings (because again you're not control, you want to be aggro). .
- I would also cut down on the # of fancy lands that don't add b/g, and play a few more basics for fetching with your ramp cards and being able to play commander on turn 2 more likely.
4 months ago
Hey Strangelove, neat deck! Looks really solid budget deck; you've got a lot of really good cards that have high impact at low cost. I noticed that you're not running Ashnod's Altar . Any reason, other than budgetary, that it isn't included? Seems like a pretty sweet sac outlet.
I see that you have Falkenrath Noble in your Maybeboard, but have you considered running Zulaport Cutthroat , or the classic Blood Artist ? If you're murderin' critters every turn, both of those guys can be pretty useful. Not sure how much you're trying to avoid gaining life, in order to ensure Marchesa, the Black Rose 's Dethrone trigger, but they might prove to be useful in some conditions.
Smart to include Shriekmaw in the deck. Have you considered any other creatures with Evoke? They combo well with the Unspeakable Symbol . Ingot Chewer and Mulldrifter seem like they'd do nicely, perhaps. On the subject of abilities: looks like you've included a few Graft creatures in the deck. Have you at all thought about adding Cytoplast Manipulator ? I've had that card perform miracles in my deck. Steal a dude, +1/+1 it somehow, kill it dead, and it becomes yours!
Have you thought about adding in Treasonous Ogre to your deck? Runs similarly to Unspeakable Symbol , but with red mana instead of +1/+1 counters. Has been used to save my bacon more times than I'd care to mention in my games.
With all the ETB triggers in your deck, you may want to think about adding Noosegraf Mob , since it'll net you zombies, and sets itself up to come back easily, if the last counter isn't removed from the card. Dunno what your budget is, but you may want to consider swapping Butcher of Malakir for something like Dictate of Erebos , which can be used in hilarious ways due to the Flash ability. Another inclusion you may want to consider is River Kelpie , since you're relying heavily on Marchesa, the Black Rose 's Dethrone to pull stuff outta the 'yard. Have you put any consideration into using cards that have an Outlast-like effect? Mer-Ek Nightblade and Herald of Secret Streams seem like they could be useful in your deck.
Lastly, I noticed you don't have a Reef Worm in your deck. Not sure if that's a personal choice or what, but let me tell you, it has given many excellent performances in my deck. Being able to loop it several times has proven to be a game ender on more than one occasion.
Anyway, amazing deck! Looks like it'd be an absolute blast to play, and it can be made without breaking the bank!
8 months ago
1) Yes, the whole group is making custom commanders. The idea was to make commanders that portray our traits as players. In my case I am often vindictive and will attack until death. However, I usually sit back until someone makes the first move. We each have submitted our commander to group balancing, so this is what I'll be sticking with.
2) I'd like to keep the colors since Jund is often aggressive but still has the ability to scale later into the game. I purposely don't run blue for personal reasons.
3) Apart from the fact that it has already been subjected to group balancing. I'm not sure quite how much you think it's broken. The eminence, although it gives a +1/+1 and menace, gives it only to one creature and the menace only lasts only until end of turn. On top of this I am only able to attack one person and they are not even of my choice, I can only retaliate, not be the aggressor.
The last ability I can see how it might be broken and was mainly used for the color identity. However, it does not affect all permanents. Simply myself and the creature. It doesn't even counter the spell, I am still subject to its effects, I simply make (usually the caster) subject to the same effects.
8 months ago
I have a few suggestions.
I think in general you could use some more token support. Since your deck is already $400 I'm not going to hold back on the expensive cards, but I think you should consider adding these.
- Dragonlair Spider you have 3 opponents generally so this card does tons of work, I'd definitely move it to the main board
- Grave Titan just a awesome creature
- Craterhoof Behemoth Awesome finisher in any board based deck
- Triumph of the Hordes another awesome finisher for creature based decks.
I also think that some of your cards aren't great or don't compliment your deck well:
- Runaway Steam-Kin in general I think you don't have enough red spells for this to help
- Mer-Ek Nightblade,Ob Nixilis, Unshackled,Pir, Imaginative Rascal,Corpsejack Menace,Forgotten Ancient. Your creatures that sac a creature to give themselves +1/+1 are fine, but I don't think there are enough of them to warrant all of this support.
- Banefire,Bonfire of the Damned,Flameblast Dragon. In edh you only need a few X spells and generally the ones that hit multiple opponents are far better. You would be better off with just Exsanguinate and Torment of Hailfire
And there are a few cards I'd advise running just because they are so good
- Eternal Witness
- Phyrexian Altar
- Kodama's Reach
- Sidisi, Undead Vizier
- Vampiric Tutor
- Phyrexian Arena
- Purphoros, God of the Forge
- Impact Tremors
- Goblin Bombardment
But other than that your deck is pretty good especially for your first EDH deck. I hope these suggestions help!
Mer-Ek Nightblade occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%