|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Modern Masters 2017 Edition (MM3)||Uncommon|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Common|
|Ravnica: City of Guilds (RAV)||Common|
Combos Browse all
, : Add to your mana pool.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Dimir Signet Discussion
1 month ago
They tap for 2 mana yes, but I wouldn't count them as two. There's a bit of adisconnect between number of sources and total produced maan, but that's a lot more complicated of a conversation. the important thing is that they techincally count for zero by themselves, as you can't play them as your only lands (they bounce themselves).
As for lands to play (within a budghet of course), Command Tower, Mana Confluence and City of Brass all tap for any mana colour you need. Exotic Orchard can also help out and Forbidden Orchard isn't bad either as your primary source of damage has flying. Hinterland Harbor and Drowned Catacomb finishes off your check land cycle (which are good), you have pain lands like Yavimaya Coast, Llanowar Wastes and Underground River. That being said, don't feel like you have to run the full cycle of a land. I would persoanlly run the full cycle of shocks and check lands, but would be reluctant to run all 3 temples.
Given that you have minimal land search ramp, I wouldn't increase the number of basics you have by too much, however you could up your total basic count by 6 (2 of each) if you included more basic land searching. You also have the Panoramas (Grixis Panorama, Jund Panorama, Esper Panorama, Bant Panorama) which gives you colourless the turn you play it, but you can later crack it for a basic.
As for ramp, Chromatic Lantern is good fixing. Nature's Lore and Farseek are both good as they can fetch shocklands. Cultivate and Kodama's Reach are both decent, as is Rampant Growth. you also have the signets (Golgari Signet, Simic Signet, Dimir Signet) as well as Talisman of Dominance and Fellwar Stone.
1 month ago
Your manabase is truly awful.
- You have too many lands that ETB tapped.
- You manabase color consistency is spotty at best.
- You have too many utility lands that don't provide colored mana (this is likely the root cause for #2).
- You are missing some key artifact ramp/color fixing.
- You are running some very questionable choices: Examples: Crypt of Agadeem you only have 7 black creatures total (not counting commander) Save this for a mono-black deck & Glacial Chasm my guess is you are using this to hold off attacks until you can combo off. The issue is this card combos best with Solemnity, but you can't run white.
- 1,2,3: Drop a bunch of the ETB lands and utility lands bring in Fetchlands and Duals (OG Duals, Shocklands (Ravnica blocks), Tango Lands(Battle for Zendikar) and Bi-cycle lands (Amonkett)). Choose what works for your budget.
- 4. Add Chromatic Lantern it will help with color fixing, stops Blood Moon attacks and makes non-mana producing lands into mana producing lands. I would also suggest Mana Vault and Voltaic Key. These will help you mana ramp and keep pace with Ramp decks which have access to green mana. Also missing is Crucible of Worlds. It help you recover from mass land destruction and ensure you hit your land drops if you are running fetchlands. Other artifacts to consider are: Mox Opal, Chrome Mox, Grim Monolith, Rakdos Signet, Dimir Signet, Izzet Signet, Lion's Eye Diamond Again, choose what works for your budget.
- 5. Remove your questionable choices and run Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Cabal Coffers instead. Urborg will make all your lands swamps, which will solve any black mana issues and make all non-mana lands into mana producing lands. And it combos amazingly with Cabal Coffers. It is way better than the Crypt of Agadeem. I also suggest running Maze of Ith instead of Mystifying Maze. Maze of Ith doesn't cost mana to activate and will deter attacks or at least nullify their best non-shroud, non-hexproof creature. Mystifying Maze will just encourage certain attacks since it can trigger ETB effects for your opponents. Which can be more valuable then shrinking your life total.
Other Issues and Potential Fixes:
- Graveyard Hate/Enchantment Removal. You added Pithing Needle to deal with certain artifacts but have ignored enchantment based graveyard hate. And I don't see any real enchantment removal. The only card that could hit an enchantment seems to be Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. Leyline of the Void, Rest in Peace, and Ashes of the Abhorrent just straight up ruin your day. Grixis is weak to this permanent type, but blue has your best answers. I would add Cyclonic Rift which is the best 1 sided boardwipe in EDH and will help you recover from an oppressive board state or seal your position as the Victor. I would also suggest adding Venser, Shaper Savant. He can delay a spell from hitting the table or bounce back a troublesome permanent. He combos well with Riptide Laboratory.
- Troublesome Lands. I don't see any way for you to deal with lands that could ruin your day. Opponents running huge mana lands like Gaea's Cradle, Serra's Sanctum or Cabal Coffers or other trouble some lands like Scavenger Grounds. You have nothing for targeted removal of these threats Look to Strip Mine or Wasteland or similar lands.
- Missing Combo Pieces. Teferi's Veil combos with Sedris, just be mindful of the leaves battlefield clause from Sedris as they are still the same permanent still when they phase back in. And both Sneak Attack and Whip of Erebos combo with it and have high synergy with your deck. (same leaves battlefield clause applies to the whipped creatures) Also think about running Embalmer's Tools
- Quality Creatures. A lot of your creatures don't make sense or are just low on value. I would look back towards your original thought about ETB based creatures for the majority of your creatures to abuse. Combustible GearhulkNoxious Gearhulk,Molten Primordial,Sepulchral Primordial,Trinket Mage,Trophy Mage,Sidisi, Undead Vizier,Zealous Conscripts,Massacre Wurm,Sphinx of Uthuun. And then a few other key enabler creatures like: Deadeye Navigator which helps remove the leaves clause from creatures you cheated back from the graveyard and River Kelpie which will help you draw
- Better Tutors. You should be running better tutors in general and better tutors for your graveyard. Like: Entomb,Buried Alive,Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Final Parting, Dark Petition, Merchant Scroll, Mystical Tutor, Fabricate, Personal Tutor
- Better Looting/Rummaging. Like: Faithless Looting,Frantic Search,Dack Fayden,Windfall,Ancient Excavation,Cathartic Reunion, Careful Study
- Better Counterspells. Like: Mana Drain,Force of Will,Disallow,Forbid
- Cantrips. Getting to your best cards is key to being able to play your game. Brainstorm, Ponder,Preordain,Thought Scour
- Recursion. Some options open to you are: Snapcaster Mage, Yawgmoth's Will, Time Spiral, Past in Flames, Mizzix's Mastery,Magus of the Will, Crucible of Worlds
1 month ago
I was waiting a bit to see if you would define a direction you wanted to go so I could provide a little better feedback. Since none was forthcoming I will stick to some general pointers and check back for a couple of days to see if you post anything else.
You seem to be a little mana light. I find 47-50 ramp/rocks/lands to be about right in most commander decks. I like to run 36-39 (a bit on the higher end since you run Burgeoning) lands in casual decks with the lowest cmc rocks and ramp spells your budget will support filling out the rest. All stars I don't see include:
Guild Signets (Dimir Signet etc.)
I don't like counters in multiplayer games unless they are there to protect a combo. 1-for-1ing one of your opponents just puts you both behind on cards.
On the subject of card advantage you are in both blue and black and I don't see any. It is usually a good idea to commit 4-6 slots to card advantage.
While not knowing your intended way to play the deck, it doesn't appear to be mill. For This reason Phenax, God of Deception seems out of place.
This last point is personal preference. I personally don't like 1 shot mana production nor do I find Planeswalkers particularly powerful in commander.
1 month ago
Very cool deck! Since your goal is to keep it casual I'll suggest cards that are upgrades to stuff you already have, that way you can do what you've been doing just a bit faster/more consistently.
Mana Ramp:At the moment I see 7 sources of artifact ramp in your deck. I'd highly recommend increasing that to the 10-12 range, it will drastically speed up your deck.
Card Draw:The 6 card draw spells you have here are fine but I'd recommend adding at least 5 more, specifically card spells that help you discard into your graveyard or fill up your hand on the cheap.
Land:If you up your mana rock count to the 10-12 range, you can drop your land count down to 32-34 and have no issues.
The best way to go about improving your landbase is focusing on adding lands that enter untapped and can give you multiple colors.
Are just a few examples of lands you should consider adding in place of slower, enter tapped lands.
That's just the basic rundown of how to improve the core of your deck and make it a bit more consistent. Hopefully those ideas help!
1 month ago
I'm assuming your goal is to combo off with Marisil ASAP, so here's my suggestions:
Focus on whatever combo is quickest to help streamline your strategy. Combo decks work best when they have one specific, achievable goal.
I'd add Lightning Greaves to help protect Marisil.
More mana rocks will help you get off to a faster start as well Sol Ring, Fellwar Stone, Mind Stone, Prismatic Lens, Dimir Signet and Izzet Signet should all be here. If you run more mana rocks you can cut your land count down to 32-33 with no problems.
These are the most obvious ways I can see to improve your deck. Hopefully some of those ideas help!
1 month ago
1 month ago
How about adding some mana rocks and some draw options to increase this deck's speed somewhat? In terms of mana rocks:
2 months ago
Hey, If you're worried about speed then consider decreasing the avg. CMC here? It's currently 4.2, this means consistently you will not be able to play any cards until turn four. I see that you're playing a lot of high CMC artifacts to cheat them into play, but this requires that you have one of the three enablers to do this: Transmuter, Metalworker or Heartless. Forgemaster is another enabler, but it's really slow. The problem is if you don't have one of these enablers then consistently you'll be stuck with a hand of a lot of high CMC cards which you can't play.
I suggest adding more two drops cutting some of the less good high CMC artifacts.
Cards to consider adding:
All these are two drop artifacts and all them except Strix are also ramp.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Thopter Assembly
- Golden Guardian
- Elbrus, the Binding Blade
- Myr Incubator
- Stuffy Doll
- Phyrexian Juggernaut
- Darksteel Juggernaut
Good luck with your deck.