|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Shards of Alara (ALA)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Artifact Creature — Sphinx
At the end of your turn, you gain 3 life if Sphinx Sovereign is untapped. Otherwise, each opponent loses 3 life.
Sphinx Sovereign Discussion
8 months ago
If I had to offer a "most likely", then, it would absolutely be Sphinx Sovereign .
8 months ago
The sphinx pictured in Wargate is none of the above. In fact, it is likely the only sphinx to appear on Bant, and for good reason.
Exhibit C: now that we know everything else is out of the question, we just need to prove it's not Sphinx Sovereign . And we can do that with... the feet? Yes. Not that the paws on Wargate seem to be much wider than those of the sovereign. Not only that but the individual plates and feathers on the legs of Wargate give it a much more... organic feel than that of Sphinx Sovereign . In fact- could that be why it was what came out of the portal onto Bant?
8 months ago
The head is shaped exactly like an Esper sphinx. See aforementioned Sphinx of the Steel Wind , Sharding Sphinx , Magister Sphinx , Enigma Sphinx , and Sphinx Sovereign . They all have some sort of metal plate as a mane and all but two have the "horns" pictured on Wargate . I disagree that it is Sphinx of the Steel Wind though, the floating balls around the head put me more in mind of Magister Sphinx or Sphinx Sovereign though there are minor details wrong for it to be either of them too. Valid arguments could be made for any of the three or none.
1 year ago
I'm having a difficult time trying to explain why I dislike those abilities, and I think it's because its ability gives no real options on when to use it: after attacking, before damage is dealt is the correct time to activate it, and the only time you don't want to activate it, is if the opponent has an even larger flying threat.
It would be an interesting choice as a creature that gets weaker when attacking, but the "untap this" ability is better than vigilance: even Cryptic Command doesn't stop it from being a 5/5 flying lifelinking blocker.
Other cards that depend on whether it's tapped or untapped, are usually like Castle Raptors, Hollow Dogs, Fortress Cyclops or Sphinx Sovereign. It's rare to get an increase in power for blocking, or to get an increase in defense for attacking.
The only example I have of a "tapped matters" that comes with a built-in untap ability is Sword of the Paruns, which gives different bonuses based on whether its tapped or untapped.
That bat card only has a bonus for being untapped, so there's never a choice to be made. To fix that card, the first step is to get rid of that self-untap ability.
1 year ago
I agree with Sharding Sphinx as well, sure looks lack-luster but it performs so well because it quickly starts to snowball on it's own ability.
2 years ago
Okay I see what you mean with Sphinx Sovereign so I moved him to the side, taking out celestial dawn. In its place on the mainboard I added Coalition Relic, as it synergises well with Unwinding Clock as well as being a good 2 mana clock.
2 years ago
Cool deck, I like the non-combo build of Sharuum. I tried to do that, but eventually I just gave in and threw a couple combos in there. A few cards I found useful:Sequestered Stash is nice for getting artifacts in the yard and then back to the hand, and it only takes up a land spot. Inventors' Fair similarly can tutor up an artifact, super useful when you have all the mana you need but nowhere to put it.Priest of Yawgmoth can be good if you ever find your graveyard and/or mana pool empty. Mana Vault is solid ram early and gets out of hand with Unwinding clock, Voltaic Key, or Tezzeret the Seeker out.Time Sieve is generally used for combos but is just generally a cool card, so if you find yourself with lots of thopters or something can be nice.Maze of Ith is just nice to hose voltron decks or avoid getting blown out by a Hellkite Tyrant.Gate to the AEther lets you repeatably get all the great permanents in your deck once you get to 8 mana. A tutor and a cheater all in one. Inefficient, sure, but when you're getting Darksteel Forge and Sphinx Sovereign it doesn't feel so bad.
These are just some suggestions based on what I run, but your deck definitely seems to be doing different things so they may or may not actually fit with yours.
2 years ago
Change Log 01/05/17
Added colored artifacts for the Dimir artifact archetype. Thought it would be a good idea to include some Dimir/X artifacts as well for some added variance.
- Executioner's Capsule (artifact removal)
- Scepter of Fugue (cross archetype artifact. could work in punisher?)
- Sharuum the Hegemon (Gives us a reason to splash white)
- Silas Renn, Seeker Adept (good blocker, does stuff when it connects)
- Noxious Gearhulk (bomb)
- Sphinx Sovereign (decent top end, gives orzhov drain a payoff for splashing blue)
- Sphinx Summoner (value fliers. can't say no)
- Tidehollow Strix (this card is probably too shitty... BUT it's a nice rattlesnake in Dimir, which is good in multiplayer, and it's an artifact. Thoughts?)
- Cranial Plating (duh)
- Bident of Thassa (messes with opponents' combat and is an artifact. seems like other decks might want this, which is why i like it)
- Courier's Capsule (it's possible that this card just sucks, but I wanted to cast a wide net)
- Etherium Astrolabe (need sac outlets for Spine etc.)
- Etherium Sculptor (cost reduction)
- Ethersworn Adjudicator (good beater, another reason to splash white)
- Filigree Sages (this actually seems kinda bad now that I think of it. what do you think?)
- Inkwell Leviathan (duh)
- Mask of Riddles (maybe this sucks, but it's a good way to sneak in some damage and get cards while being an artifact)
- Master of Etherium (duh)
- Master Transmuter (duh)
- Sharding Sphinx (good top end)
- Skill Borrower (possible terrible, but could be fun. We need to see if there are enough activated abilities in the archetype to justify this)
- Thopter Foundry (need sac outlets, card is just value. we will not include the combo I don't think)
- Bastion Inventor (seems decent, but maybe a bit underpowered in multiplayer)
- Herald of Anguish (duh)
- Reverse Engineer (draw that rewards artifact decks. maybe too specific? probably better for the cube to just put some other draw in this slot)
- Sly Requisitioner (good way to get value from your sacced artifacts. also lines up nicely against the grave pact deck)
- Whir of Invention (duh)
- Wurmcoil Engine (duh)
- Spine of Ish Sah (duh)
- Solemn Simulacrum (duh)
- Scrap Trawler (duh)
- Treasure Keeper (duh)
- Filigree Familiar (duh)
- Epochrasite (i'm not super sold on this, but I like recurrable creatures in multiplayer, so this seems nice)
- Lodestone Golem (possibly too annoying)
- Scarecrone (duh)
- Foundry Inspector (duh)
- Palladium Myr (duh)
- Trading Post (duh)
- Myr Retriever (duh)
- Ichor Wellspring (duh)
- Mycosynth Wellspring (duh)
- Pristine Talisman (duh)
- Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas (not sure actually whether this is the right tez for this archetype. both of the ones from kaladesh seem spicy. what do you think?)
OVERALL THOUGHTS: I'm a bit worried that this archetype as it is now builds itself too easily. I would prefer to have more cross-pollination among archetypes and less "this card is only good in the artifact deck". There is a risk that having both goblins (which are basically junk cards if no one is in the archetype) and artifacts (many of which are only good in the Dimir archetype) dilute the cube too much, making the less archetype-driven decks worse off due to fewer playables. What do you think?
No data for this card yet.