|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Look at the top three cards of your library. You may reveal a creature or land card from among them and put it into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Adventurous Impulse Discussion
4 days ago
Definitely playtest with Adventurous Impulse , Commune with Nature , and Lead the Stampede to find what you like best. Both Impulse and Commune are cheaper, but will only net you one creature. With the experiences I've had with pauper elves, my opinion would be Stampede is the best of the three. Most elves decks don't run many spells or land that will have you miss value with Stampede.
6 days ago
Recently I’ve been working on my first Pauper deck, which is an Elf deck. Currently I have Adventurous Impulse in the deck, but I’m not sure if I’ll leave it in. I like that it’s a smaller, cheaper version of Lead the Stampede so I can sort of get more copies of that, but it’s also significantly worse than Stampede and I’m not 100% I like it enough to keep it in. It’s nice that it can get lands if I need those, and having the effect at 1 mana is nice, but it lowers the chance that Lead the Stampede connects and may make me ditch more stuff than I want to. I can’t decide if it’s better to keep it in or trade it out for a different card.
What do you think about this card? Is it worth running? If not, what might be a good card to replace it with?
1 week ago
If you want to see more consistency, I would suggest the following changes:
1) Implement a sideboard
2) Move Reclamation Sage to the side board, it is ok to have a single one main, but it is very underwhelming when it has no targets.
3) I think Nissa, Vital Force is better in the sideboard and best brought in against control.
4) Vivien Reid is a great mainboard card and up her to at least 2 of.
5) Adventurous Impulse should be a 4 of main deck because it is never a bad top deck and is very good early game at finding your next land or finding your next creature. It smooths out the curve.
6) Greenwheel Liberator is very underwhelming in this particular build because it is harder for you to trigger Revolt yourself. Whereas Narnam Renegade is very good because of the keyword "Deathtouch" and is only 1 CMC.
7) I think Song of Freyalise is underwhelming because it takes a while for it to "Go Off" and you really aren't ramping to anything that costs that much. Maybe move it down to a 1 or 2 of.
8) I like Lifecrafter's Bestiary but move it to the sideboard and side in against midrange and control. You want to be fast and hit the ground and go very wide.
9) Your listed "Maybeboard" has some good cards, in particular, the one that stands out as the best option is Heroic Intervention and it should be in your deck, somewhere in the 75. At least a 1 or 2 of in the sideboard. Shapers' Sanctuary is a great card for this type of build, if you can fit some number after all is said in done, I would say 1 or 2 of would be best fit for it somewhere in the 75.
10) I also would like to see some number of Blossoming Defense in the deck. It does not have to be a 4 of. But maybe a 2 of somewhere in the 75. Just don't know if I like it in the maindeck or not.
That's what I got for now. Best of luck.
1 week ago
Holy Cow! The Adventurous Impulse suggestion is fantastic. I'll be making that change in a few minutes.
Thanks so much :)
1 week ago
Simian Spirit Guide can be clunky if you need specific colors. But for getting all 5 colors by Turn 3 to cast Reaper King, it just seems like the way to get there.
Painter's Servant just seems like something you only want to see once in a match. (Save it dying to removal like everything does.) A full playset just seems like overkill. Maybe cut 2 Painter's Servant and run 4 Adventurous Impulse over Ancient Stirrings? How often does Ancient Stirrings kick your Reaper King to the bottom?
Are you able to produce enough mana to cast Maelstrom Pulse through Blood Moon? If not, have you considered Natural State or Abrupt Decay and the like for Blood Moon strategies?
1 week ago
2 weeks ago
I made a tapped out version of the deck. You can follow the link and click the copy button on the left hand side then, in the duplicate, click edit and change the name and description.
As far as the deck is concerned my main criticism would be that you don't have a mana base that is optimal for casting Steel Leaf Champion. Most decks running the tripple devotion cycle (Goblin Chainwhirler, Dread Shade, Steel Leaf Champion... etc) are single color decks or only have that color basics with eight or more dual color lands (in that color and a splash color). You only have 18 green sources counting Llanowar Elves which means half the time you won't have enough mana to cast steel leaf on time and 75% of the time you won't be able to cast it at all (although the explore creatures might help a little with that). Basically you have two options to work around this and they are to just play more green sources instead of Mountains or Endless Sands or cut the Steel Leaf Champions. Apart from that, Path of Discovery might just be a worse Lifecrafter's Bestiary in this deck although the lack of Sheltered Thickets leads me to believe that you are attempting to keep the deck as rotation proof as is reasonably possible so if that's the case I guess that would make sense. If you find that you are getting mana screwed a lot Adventurous Impulse is a great way to in game customize the land/spell ratio of your draws.
3 weeks ago
Well, I would say that I think you just need to decide which deck you want to run. Do you want primarily +1 counters and beating down? Or the combo? They sort of go together, or can, but what you have now makes finding your combo pieces pretty difficult. I'd add in some quantities of spells that can find creatures like Collected Company, Commune with Nature, Adventurous Impulse, or maybe Duskwatch Recruiter Flip or Oath of Nissa. Board the Weatherlight isn't all that bad either but won't help with the infinite combo.
Renegade Rallier is pretty boss with this combo; it can grab any piece or a dig spell or a land and it can be hit by Collected Company.
Avatar gets a little worse without the +1 counter overload to back him up. Strangleroot is fine as an early ground stall with the combo.
I'd drop a Llanowar Reborn for something untapped. And also those Sunpetal Groves might often have issues with coming in tapped since only half of your lands are forests or plains. Mostly, you just have a lot of tapped lands. Canopy Vista will almost always be tapped with only 1/6 of your lands being basic and hardly any fetch lands to find them.
Just some thoughts.