Seaside Citadel enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add , , or to your mana pool.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Seaside Citadel Discussion
1 month ago
Worth noting that this is more the "Budget Primer" for my deck now, as the physical deck has added:
It flows a bit smoother with those changes.
1 month ago
Lands could use a big update, and it dosen't need to be expensiveall the taplands (guildgates and gain 1 life lands) could be replaced with the tri lands from alara blockArcane Sanctum, Crumbling Necropolis, Jungle Shrine, Savage Lands, Seaside Citadel, and Exotic OrchardReflecting Pool is a better Rupture Spireyou could throw in a couple colorless utility lands and have you filter lands color fix you when needed. maybe add Vault of the Archangel, Reliquary Tower, Temple of the False God, Winding Canyons
Captain's Claws makes ally tokens
Jwari Shapeshifter is the clone you want!
ally's you could addAkoum Battlesinger, Bala Ged Thief, Bojuka Brigand, Bruse Tarl, Boorish Herder, Grovetender Druids, Hada Freeblade, Halimar Excavator, Harabaz Druid, Highland Berserker, Kalastria Healer, Kor Entanglers, Makindi Patrol (change for Joraga Bard), Murasa Pyromancer, Oran-Rief Survivalist, Reckless Bushwhacker, Tuktuk Scrapper
also add Harsh Mercy
maybe cut the Overwhelming Stampede
1 month ago
I like this deck! I wish more people would build casual decks, rather than $300 competitive ones.
A few suggestions I think may help you out:
You should also consider including more planeswalkers if you're running things like Ajani's Comrade and Oath of Nissa. Tamiyo, Field Researcher, Ajani, Mentor of Heroes, and Ajani Unyielding seem particularly good for this deck, although they're all a bit pricey, so I'd get if you didn't want them.
I'd also consider Oath of Ajani in here.
1 month ago
Call for Unity is another option for anthem effects especially since you're blinking so much. I don't think you need to waste money on shocks and fetches. They help, but in a 99 card format, they usually aren't worth the expense. I would get the tri-land (Seaside Citadel) and maybe some of the pain lands(or other things that can tap for colorless). As it stands, you're going to have a rough time activating Eldrazi Displacer. Other than that, there are some upgrades you could use in your spells like Bant Charm is better than Treva's Charm and there are other flicker effects like Flickerwisp that you can put in.
2 months ago
Alright, I gave the deck a look through. I think I understand what you want to do with it, but I also think that you're trying to play Rafiq in an inefficient manner. Based on my interpretation, he isn't meant to be played in a way that prevents other players from doing things. He should be played in a way that prevents other players from doing anything to your board.
With that in mind, I think the best course of action would be to go full voltron. Of course, I have a bias towards aggro and voltron strategies in general, but you have a surprising number of options available to make this a great aggro deck, and there are multiple forms of protection available in Bant aside from just counterspells.
Something you're completely ignoring is the Exalted keyword. Exalted is a triggered ability, so each instance of Exalted stacks. You mentioned to me that you didn't want to necessarily rely on enchantments and artifacts to pump Rafiq. Fortunately, you don't. You just want to retool your creatures a bit so that you get more Exalted triggers, and find some other utility creatures that offer protection.
Any card suggestions I make in this post are going to sway the deck in favor of this strategy, which I understand is against your original vision of a control deck. Also, this does make it play like every other Rafiq deck. But, in my opinion, this deck (in its current state) looks like a bunch of cards put together with no real strategy in mind. Almost all of your control elements would be better off in the Grand Arbiter Augustin IV deck, or would be better suited for Derevi, Empyrial Tactician.
Some items to consider: you are only running 1 board wipe. I would at least consider having 3 in any EDH deck. Also, your mana base (33 lands, 5 dorks, 4 rocks) seems low overall. Since you have limited options to ramp for lands outside of playing multiple lands a turn (which is based on the number of lands in hand), and with how easily removed creatures are, I don't think you'll have enough mana to do things when you really want to. You are also only running 2 targeted removal spells, and they are for creatures. You have no way of dealing with artifacts or enchantments on the board, and you're playing with at least two colors that are good with dealing with those kinds of permanents. There also seems to be a curious amount of creature-searching, but none of the creatures you have seem game-changing enough to where I see a reason to search for creatures. I mean, sure, Linvala, Keeper of Silence can ruin someone's day, but there should be more than 1-3 creatures worth searching for.
SUGGESTED CARD REMOVALS AND SWAP
- Remove Academy Ruins: This one is a questionable removal since there is a benefit to it being there, but maybe not a large enough one in the deck's current state.
- Swap Ancient Tomb with Cathedral of War. You want that Exalted trigger more than losing two life for two colorless.
- Swap Buried Ruin for Rogue's Passage : Again, a questionable removal that is based on what dank artifacts you have in your graveyard, but Rogue's Passage helps you get in with Rafiq.
- Remove Dryad Arbor: Likely used to combo with your creature-searching spells, but I don't think you have enough stuff worth searching for. Maybe just swap for a Seaside Citadel for access to more colors? One tapped land won't kill you.
- Swap Jace, the Mind Sculptor for Elspeth, Knight-Errant. This Elspeth makes Rafiq a pain to deal with, and provides a good target for other players who don't want your shit to be indestructible.
- Swap Tamiyo, Field Researcher for Ajani, Mentor of Heroes. Not as good as Elspeth, but still makes Rafiq a boss.
- Remove Academy Rector
- Remove Aven Mindcensor
- Remove Containment Priest
- Remove Edric, Spymaster of Trest
- Remove Gaddock Teeg
- Remove Gilded Drake
- Remove Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
- Remove Hokori, Dust Drinker
- Remove Linvala, Keeper of Silence
- Remove Snapcaster Mage: Works in spellslinging decks. Not so much in decks more focused on permanents.
- Remove Temur Sabertooth: This is a questionable removal, since I can see why its in the deck.
- Remove Thada Adel, Acquisitor
- Remove Yisan, the Wanderer Bard
- Remove Eldritch Evolution
- Remove Green Sun's Zenith
- Remove Temporal Manipulation
- Remove Temporal Mastery
- Remove Time Spiral
- Remove Time Warp
- Remove Aura of Silence
- Remove Exploration
- Remove Living Plane
- Remove Survival of the Fittest
- Remove Chord of Calling
- Remove Crop Rotation
- Remove Eladamri's Call
- Remove Force of Will
- Remove Mana Drain
- Remove Noxious Revival
- Remove Pact of Negation
- Remove Skullclamp: Most of your 1 toughness creatures are your mana dorks. Do you want to sacriface a mana source for two cards that you may not be able to play?
CARDS TO CONSIDER (largely based on EDHrec)
- Sublime Archangel
- Sovereigns of Lost Alara
- Sigarda's Aid
- Steel of the Godhead
- Giltspire Avenger
- Open the Armory
- Shield of the Oversoul
- Battlegrace Angel
- Stoic Angel
- Supreme Verdict
- Bant Charm
- Various Exalted creatures of your choice
- Silent Arbiter
- Thassa, God of the Sea
- Grand Abolisher
- Sakura-Tribe Elder
- Sigarda, Heron's Grace
- Dauntless Escort
- Sylvan Reclamation
- Krosan Grip
- Beast Within
- Return to Dust
- Simic Charm, Selesnya Charm
- Kodama's Reach, Cultivate, Farseek, Rampant Growth
- Ponder, Preordain, Serum Visions
- Wrath of God, Day of Judgment
- Loxodon Warhammer
- Behemoth Sledge
- Darksteel Ingot
- Hero's Blade
- Sword of Vengeance
- Commander's Sphere
- Eldrazi Conscription
- Mirari's Wake
- Armadillo Cloak
- Ardent Plea
- Angelic Benediction
- Dueling Grounds
- Bear Umbra
- Aqueous Form
- Unflinching Courage
- Hindering Light
- Valorous Stance
- Bident of Thassa
- Heroic Intervention
- Rogue's Gloves
- Grafted Exoskeleton