|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2013 (C13)||Uncommon|
|Shards of Alara (ALA)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Human Druid Warrior
At the beginning of your end step, if you control a creature with power 5 or greater, you may draw a card.
Tap: Add 1 to your mana pool.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
2 weeks ago
Wow, thanks a lot for the time and the great suggestions!
I don't usually put one use instant protection effects on the deck because of some instant hate in my meta (Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir, Grand Abolisher and the likes), but i'll keep in mind to add more protection. Probably going for Asceticism (again, as soon as my 3rd world country, broke college student budget can afford it), Lightning Greaves and Alpha Authority.
Archetype of Endurance and Foe-Razer Regent are pet cards, so, despite being not-that-optimal, they'll probably stay in the deck for now. That said, the rest of the expensive thing should see the cut-axe soon.
Thanks again for the time to read the deck and the amazing write-up and suggestions!
2 weeks ago
Damm, I can't resist a good primer!
I'm a big fan of Deathtouch and I love to capitalize on it.
Deathtouch is amazing with Trample and with First Strike, but Rhonas is already Indestructible, so there is no need for First Strike unless you want to make Deathtouch a deck wide theme.
Give trample to a deathtoucher and it will only need to deal 1 damage to each blocker and trample the rest to the opponent, you can easily kill by commander damage. You don't need flashy finishers when your commander is cheap, big, unstoppable and unkillable.
Rancor is definitely a must, Vow of Wildness is efficient, Fists of Ironwood it's nice because the saprolings are great to protect Rhonas agains sacrifices, Berserk a bit expensive but absolutely OP for Rhonas, Ring of Kalonia, O-Naginata low costs and amazing, Loxodon Warhammer all time classic.
Ranged damage and provoking blockers: Nature's Way, Enlarge, Revenge of the Hunted, Tower Above, Nemesis Mask, maybe Seton's Desire. I'm not naming Fight effects because I guess you know them all already.
Pariah's Shield on rhonas and you will never be attacked again.
Rhonas biggest problem may be targeted spells that will usually exile him, bounce him or control him. Blossoming Defense, Ranger's Guile and Vines of Vastwood best thing for only one green mana, Hapatra's Mark is not as good but if you want a fourth one, it exists. Also Homeward Path is always good if you are not the one stealing creatures or animating them from graveyards. Brooding Saurian same effect just in case your meta is full of blue and black decks.
I'd say the amount of card draw you have is OK, but in my deck I would make some changes (personal preferences):
Regal Force out because it has a high cost and it is a "win more" card, If you are losing it won't help you much. You are not going to cheat it onto the battlefield so you most likely won't be able to do anything else in the turn and you'll have to discard many of them. You're not getting any extra juice from it either, no flickering in your deck.
Soul of the Harvest I actually like a lot this card, I put it in many decks, but it never stays long, it always goes back to the album.
Four cards you're considering are better options Elemental Bond, Garruk's Packleader (Lower cost and can trigger from tokens). Hunter's Insight is great, yes. Drumhunter perfectly on curve with Rhonas. I'd add to the list Life's Legacy: I know you don't like to sacrifice your creatures, but getting four or five ccards out of a creature for just two mana is a really good deal. Mouth / Feed I'm liking this card a lot, it gives you a 3/3 body in the early game and a slightly worse Shamanic Revelation from the graveyard. Also Garruk, Primal Hunter fits perfectly here.
Don't forget to include a Reliquary Tower and maybe even Thought Vessel if you feel you're having problems to hold you hand.
I wouldn't bother with the one drop mana dorks, you need a lot of them to be sure you get one in your opening hand, but they are kinda useless after that. It is not so important to have a second turn Rhonas, if they have a Path to Exile, Swords to Plowshares or Reality Shift they will be able to use it anyway.
I would however swap Cultivate, Kodama's Reach and Arbor Elf for Sakura-Tribe Elder, Nature's Lore, Rampant Growth and Emerald Medallion. Arbor elf is one of those one drop mana dorks, Sakura-tribe elder in the late game will be able to block and fulfill his duty of bringing a land. Cultivate and Kodama's Reach are great but they have the same mana as Rhonas, so you will have to delay Rhonas or cast them in the fourth turn instead of a power 4 creature.
Using CMC2 mana ramps will allow you to play Rhonas on the third turn and have a mana open for reactions (remember Blossoming Defense and the other instants to give hexproof I mentioned before?).
Personally, I'd cut all the CMC6 and higher except for Rishkar's Expertise, Seasons Past, Pathbreaker Ibex, Ghalta, Primal Hunger and maybe Zendikar Resurgent and Sandwurm Convergence. Using good lower CMC spells to activate and protect Rhonas making the deck lighter. Keep in mind that rhonas is also a mana dump for the late game and if you are using his activated ability during your turn you won't have mana available for big spells.
1 month ago
I'm glad you liked my suggestions. I have a Omnath deck of my own (haven't uploaded it yet) where I have those cards but I'm reforming it because I can't make it work (that's why I was checking your deck), Omnath is expensive and it takes forever to star rolling even having tons of ramp. For me the problen is the deck being to heavy to move and passing the first turns doing nothing but taking lands out of the library and when I finally get to cast Omnath they kill it and now you have to get to 9 mana. Also I have big problems with flyers, I like your choices of Ulvenwald Hydra, Tornado Elemental and Cloudthresher, I was planning to run them myself.
Keep in mind that every meta is different, what works for me, won't necessarily work in your meta. From your deck I'd cut:
- Apocalypse Hydra I'd cut it because it only synergize with the Elemental Mastery otherwise is another expensive underperforming fatty, you can put the elemental mastery on any of your power 5 creatures and get a good value out of it.
- Golden Guardian Flip from among all the fliplands in IXL and RIX that's probably the one I like the least, you need mana to play and flip it and you also need a big creature of your own to kill it in a fight, when you flip it you create tokens that don't synergize with the deck so I don't really see the point of it in this deck. If you have it because it produces two mana IMO Dowsing Dagger Flip for a total of mana, you can flip it the same turn you play it and you can give the tokens to a player and attack another, on top of that the land produces 3, it's basically a cheaper situational Gilded Lotus
- Frontier Guide to ramp a single land feels awfuly slow and inefficient, I'd rather play any of the CMC4 ramp sorceries.
- Incandescent Soulstoke I don't think you can really win or deal serious damage by cheating a fatty for a turn and then losing it. Best thing you could throw at him is Molimo that depends on your lands, so in early game it's small in late game you can just cast it. The overal number of elementals in the deck is low. maybe something like Elvish Piper, Deathrender, Quicksilver Amulet or Champion of Rhonas instead?
- Molimo, Maro-Sorcerer It's big and it has trample, but CMC7 is too high but I don't think it earns his slot without cheating it onto the battlefield.
- Rubblehulk a cheap molimo without trample and Bloodrush which I guess not playing double strike you won't use that often
- Spawnwrithe if there was a good plan to make this guy and his copies deal combat damage to an opponet I would love it, but he will be lucky if he manages to do it once on his own.
- Mask of Avacyn unless you are protecting a low toughness guy Swiftfoot Boots or Lightning Greaves are better at protecting your guys. You can also use Steely Resolve to protect them all at the same time, but haste is king.
- Seer's Lantern This card is terribly weak. You are already ramping like a mad man and if you want artifacts Worn Powerstone, Thran Dynamo and Sol Ring are better mana boost. For utility you can try Conqueror's Galleon Flip (check if you can have combined power of 4 or greater the turn after consistently before including it).
- Whispersilk Cloak this card is way too subtle, you want to combo off and crush your opponents with your 5/5 elementals or you are going 4th of July and throw sparks everywhere. If you just want protection the boots or the greaves are better cards.
- Animist's Awakening you start the game with 40 lands in a 99 card deck which mean that at best you can only expect to find one land for every mana you spend on the . I say at best because you have many ramp spells that take lands from the library lowering your chances with this spell. Try instead Boundless Realms maybe you want to include more basic lands
- By Force Not a bad card but you may want to swap it for Vandalblast or Into the Core if there are indestructible artifacts in your meta.
- Clear the Land aren't there any more decent ramp spels with CMC3? find one that at leas don't give lands to your opponents Realms Uncharted don't ramp you but it will put lands in hand and graveyad, and not just basics.
- Creeping Renaissance I want to like this card, but every time I tryed it, it underperformed. In this deck you have few permanents of a single type except for lands and you don't dredge yourself to put stuff in your graveyard. You do have a lot of lands, but to get those lands better use Splendid Reclamation, World Shaper, Ramunap Excavator or Life from the Loam. For a big, more flexible recursion spell I like Seasons Past
- Growth Spasm replace for Kodama's Reach, or Cultivate. they are commander staples for a reason.
- Mizzium Mortars replace for Blasphemous Act kills your creatures but you can be sure that it will kill almost everything and with discount
- Pirate's Pillage allows you to cast Omnath on your 5th land but still i'd swap it for Harmonize another green EDH staple.
- Primal Growth good card but you won't have disposable creatures on your early game and as a late game card is weak. As I told you before Kodama's Reach, or Cultivate (whichever you didnt used before).
- Search for Tomorrow another good card that will perform better in other decks that really need to get to four mana ASAP, IMO some beefy ramp spell would be better for Omnath. Another one I like in this deck is Khalni Heart Expedition
- Evolutionary Leap swap for Ashnod's Altar, you want your sac outlets to be activated without mana and without tapping. Your opponents will probably start worrying as soon as the see this card as it is often used for infinite combos.
- Fires of Yavimaya for Anger. Mainly because you can cast it and put it on the battlefield to block in the early game and later you get the haste bonus. other good options for this end in this deck Ogre Battledriver and In the Web of War, same effect different formats.
- Rite of the Raging Storm I ended up removing this enchantment from the deck because it is slow and don't help me with my defense, it's for more aggressive decks. The elemental that pops and sacrifices is nice when you have the commander, but It doesent justify the 5 manas.
What I'm still missing in the deck.
- Buffs to your creatures Beastmaster Ascension, Forgotten Ancient
- Rampaging Baloths not elemental but those 4/4 bodies will prove useful later to get us some cards and defense
- More recursion Greenwarden of Murasa is a solid creature. The second much worse option is Paleoloth I've tried before in other decks but maybe it can be good with Omnath's tokens.
- Spitebellows Perfect in this deck
- Decimate simply an orgasm every time you cast it. The catch of this card is that you need to be able to target a different permanent of each type, but that is not a problem in multyplayer
- More defense from flyers, I run this funny card Chaosphere, some other cards I'm considering are Spidersilk Armor, Katabatic Winds, Silklash Spider, Sandwurm Convergence.
- Scour from Existence because with red and green you will have trouble with high toughness creatures and/or indestructibles. I'ts a high mana instant but it will resolve any problem you have
- Parallel Lives Because at the end of the day it is a token deck
- Traverse the Outlands a kick ass ramp spell if you manage to ramp four lands or more.
- Heroic Intervention the ultimate shielding card.
- Mana multiplication Mana Reflection, Zendikar Resurgent, Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger this one is a bit to hard top lay if you don't cheat it into the battlefield. The low cost option has the problem of helping your opponents too Keeper of Progenitus
- Much more card draw Drumhunter, Mouth / Feed, Shamanic Revelation, Garruk's Packleader.
- Synergy with instant/sorceris Young Pyromancer, Primal Amulet Flip?
- Wayward Swordtooth?
For me the problem with this deck is you need to so many card slots and turns ramping that you don't do much more. It is quite spectacular when you manage to combo off, but it feels a bit like a one trick pony. so that is why I'm tinkering with my Omnath deck trying to find balance for my meta.
Good luck with your deck, I hope I have been of some help.
3 months ago
First off, I think all the mana dorks with cmc greater than 1 that only produce 1 mana are bad. Voyaging Satyr is a great alternative with lots of synergy with your mana doublers and auras. In a similar vein, Krosan Restorer starts out as a Voyaging Satyr but later in the game generates tons of mana. Gaea's Touch is a great budget Exploration for mono-green, and can refund its cost once it's no longer useful.
Next, I think you need to cut back a bit on the artifact/enchantment hate and throw in a bit more creature removal. Ulvenwald Tracker is a repeatable fight effect, while Cartouche of Strength is a fight that doubles as a trample-enabler.
You might also want to find some backup big creatures for if Omnath gets permanently removed (or maybe turned into a forest). Ulvenwald Hydra can tutor up your Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx, and also can be a massive beater. World Breaker is another interesting inclusion, since it's a fairly powerful self-recurring threat and great piece of removal. However, the need for colorless mana may make it not fit well with the rest of the deck. Steel Hellkite is another great creature that works well with your mana production, and doubles as fantastic removal.
Finally, you might need to find space for some more draw. Life's Legacy and Momentous Fall may seem like weird options, but with all the ramp in this deck, you can probably sacrifice Omnath for cards, and then immediately recast him for a slight reduction in size. Soul's Majesty is another option if you don't want to be sacrificing Omnath. Drumhunter is a slightly weird option, that's probably not worth it because it doesn't produce green mana, but serves as ramp and a draw engine, which is ok I suppose.
4 months ago
Great tribe! +1
And from my personal view he is also great for your deck flavor wise.
4 months ago
For sure dude! I think that's fair trade. Same with the other one you mentioned in light of pskinn01's great suggestion.
All being said, you've inspired me to rebuild my Rith deck as well! Mine will probably focus more on etb triggers with the tokens, like Purphoros, God of the Forge, Impact Tremors, Pandemonium. One of the issues I found with Rith is the awkwardness of creating an army second main and giving a whole turn for your opponents to deal with you. There's not many surprises, like naya's biggest strength over selesnya tokens is haste, which is hard to abuse without extra combats.
So all being said, there may be some ways for us to capitalize with our army outside of the combat step while we wait for our turn to come back again. Collective Effort, Glare of Subdual, Kyren Negotiations (not sure about this how good this one tho but it seems fun), and Nullmage Shepherd
5 months ago
First and foremost. This deck is missing some of the key components that are very very neccesary for commander:
You have the Sol Ring , and thats good. And the few land fetching spells. But I reccomend getting creature ramp and at least 3 more mana rocks. Like adding in a Birds of Paradise, Sylvan Caryatid, Yavimaya Elder, and a Wood Elves would speed your game up so much, and give you chump blockers. Mana rocks are also really essential, my favorite are Gilded Lotus, Thran Dynamo, and Darksteel Ingot.
- Card Draw/Card Advantage
This is so important. In a deck like this, I'd automatically include Sylvan Library, Harmonize, Sensei's Divining Top, Worldly Tutor, Chord of Calling, Green Sun's Zenith, and a Tooth and Nail. Necropotence is super good too. Cards equal wins, period. That is why blue is the best color. I'd also consider cards like Soul of the Harvest and Drumhunter, just because your deck is creature based. The way I think about it, if I can't find a way to get more cards in my opening hand, I should not be keeping it.
I'm not gonna get into this, cause someone else did. Just make youre mana base faster. And play cards that cycle/fetch lands out of your library. It is card advantage for days.
Play more creature piece removal spells (like Woodfall Primus , Acidic Slime , Reclamation Sage , and Shriekmaw , just because they leave you with a creature at the end of it all. That 2/1, or 2/2 deathtouch is essential for the early game. Also more instant speed removal will do you good like Hero's Downfall, Abrupt Decay, and Krosan Grip.
Sidenote: Play Eternal Witness if you are playing green. Period.
6 months ago
Thanks smiffdemon for the suggestions! I have looked over the deck and made some substitutions based on your advice. I will list the changes here so people know what I swapped out. Furyborn Hellkite for Kilnmouth Dragon, Drumhunter for Dragon Mage, Overwhelming Stampede for Xenagos, God of Revels, Moonveil Dragon for Moltensteel Dragon, Ryusei, the Falling Star for Stormbreath Dragon, and Sight of the Scalelords for Harmonize.