|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander Anthology 2018 (CM2)||Rare|
|Commander 2017 (C17)||Rare|
|Commander 2014 (C14)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Dragon
Lieutenant — As long as you control your commander, Tyrant's Familiar gets +2/+2 and has "Whenever Tyrant's Familiar attacks, it deals 7 damage to target creature defending player controls."
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Tyrant's Familiar Discussion
2 weeks ago
@Osbert Thank You very much for Your deep study on my deck. Here are my anwsers:
- I've been using Crystal Shard, Erratic Portal some time ago and I wasn't happy with that. Just imagine that You cascade in one of these instead of some big nasty creature - impact on the board is too small. I don't need cut cost of casting Commander thanks to many ramp cards, also if Maelstrom Wanderer is still on the board then it's time to cast creatures from hand, they will have haste so impact is good enough (in other circumstances creature cards left at hand would be dead cards because most of time You cast Commander only).
- About making top deck stronger there are two things that prevent me from putting cards You listed (well, there is third reason - I don't have most of these:) ). First is that I really like randomness of cascades (it's still limited by card selection). Second is just the same like with bouncing cards - cascading into them will make one cast of commander weaker. Still there is Sensei's Divining Top for top decking, which is also a lifesaver when You need next land drop and I won't cut it out.
- I run Lurking Predators only - because that card doesn't need mana to activate (most of times Commander eat almost all of mana) and it's working just fine without any help. Sometimes it's better to leave land on top deck (if more mana is needed for next cast from command zone), sometimes You are already overextended and expect wrath effect spell from others.
- Well Oath of Druids is tempting because it could make early game more than just ramping. Still these creatures won't have haste (and my ETB effects won't change much) and opponents can also use Oath's effect to put creatures from their decks making more blockers, ramp or even combo. I need to see that card in action because now I can't predict if it will make advantage or disadvantage.
- There isn't too much standard spot removal besides of Beast Within (already is in deck) and Pongify which is very cheap (only one blue mana). Also there are some kind of removals: Inferno Titan, Phyrexian Ingester, Terastodon, Tyrant's Familiar, Primal Command, Warstorm Surge (plus creatures entering board). If that's not enough AOE cards will try to compensate. I will keep in mind Krosan Grip and Reality Shift (didn't know second card, it's really nice when facing indestructible creatures)). But Wave of Vitriol can hit me also and probably will wait long on hand. Song of the Dryads still can be removed and threat would return.
- From these Mystic Confluence and Cryptic Command most valuable are abilities that make Commander and creatures more evasive (this deck doesn't need more card draw) and of course occasional counterspelling. But, so far, evasion from creatures, lands and some spot or AOE removals were just enough to deal damage (especially overloaded Cyclonic Rift).
- Already got Mystical Tutor in this deck. And yes - it's great. It can go for Tooth and Nail or Cyclonic Rift, even when facing mana screw I sometimes use it for ramp spell. Worldly Tutor could make more control over deck (or top decking) but still I prefer to cast Commander than casting single creature and like that randomness.
- About strange cards in my deck: Burnished Hart well I could change it for something better - can You give me some ideas (especially cards that put 2 lands)? Ixidron - You don't have to cast card that fit cascade requirements (they can go to the bottom of library) so it won't hurt controlled creatures, also Commander comes into play AFTER cascades resolve (he is on the stack until then) so it will never hurt him. This card can hit very hard other commanders as they won't go to command zone. It's weakness is that it won't affect tokens but I take that risk. Curse of the Swine has exile effect (which is quite rare in RUG) and it can be single or multi target I keep it for that versality (even if it does not have synergy with Commander). Knowledge Exploitation is for 7 mana so it can be cascaded for free, also I have enough mana to cast it from hand. Best case scenario is when it hits with first cascade, then You can go for some funny card from opponent deck (some kind of wrath effect) and then cast creature from second cascade - it will result in clear board and then Maelstrom Wanderer and that other creature will come.
1 month ago
Always nice to see another Kaalia deck as she was my first (shameless plug: Still Better than Dan Brown...). Firstly, is that "sideboard" in fact meant to be your wants list? If so, just make your acquireboard public to avoid any confusion! Anyway I'd recommend losing Ancient Hellkite, Mana-Charged Dragon and Victory's Herald. Consider Angelic Field Marshal/Demon of Wailing Agonies/Tyrant's Familiar as you'll usually be getting them out with Kaalia. Speaking of, if you want to stop her getting munched take a look at Dust Corona and Reconnaissance, either of which might be better than Angelic Chorus or Exquisite Blood - good cards, but 5cmc is the spot where you can start thinking about hard-casting creatures and you don't really seem to have any synergistic plays with gaining life (perhaps introduce Krav, the Unredeemed/Regna, the Redeemer combo?). If you can upgrade your package to include Anguished Unmaking and Vindicate over cards like Wrecking Ball then do: unconditional removal is never a dead draw. Finally, Helm of the Host is epic with Kaalia.
Ps, I see you run Armageddon. Depending on who you play with, I would recommend either going all-in on the land destruction by getting more mana rocks and other spells like Cataclysm or dropping it entirely. It can make you very unpopular...
1 month ago
Super would recommend Utvara Hellkite, it was reprinted and is super op!
Lathliss, Dragon Queen also is a new dragon that is very synergistic with dragons, Atarka, World Render gives the team double strike, Bladewing the Risen reanimates them and lets you pump all of them if you put in mana, Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury gives you all of them a ton of damage, Savage Ventmaw lets you get out more dragons too!
Scourge of Valkas is a great dragon if you can cast it for triple red, giving you removal and damage for days! Broodmate Dragon is fine, Steel Hellkite is good removal, Thunderbreak Regent is a nice addition too! Hoard-Smelter Dragon, Bogardan Hellkite, Deathbringer Regent, and Tyrant's Familiar are also good removal in dragon form.
- Regards from SynergyBuild!
2 months ago
I would consider more little dudes to get you to bigger and better hydras sooner. Especially ones with solid ETB and don't mind if they die attacking for more mana. Wood Elves gets you a land AND mana later, better than Beneath the Sands. Fierce Empath,Elvish Visionary
Also worried most of your bolster effects are going to be going on to creatures that don't benefit from the counters. Radha/Feldon/Llanowar
3 months ago
Well Sarkhan's Unsealing is a winner from M19, while as suggested above Dragonspeaker Shaman could be useful if you're looking for Dragon-related ramp. I don't know how you're finding the mana base but personally I get by with 35 for my Scion deck so you might be able to free up a couple of spaces there. As for dragons that haven't been mentioned yet there's Tyrant's Familiar, Scourge of Valkas or of course Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon if you're feeling mean. Can't beat Vandalblast for artifact hate. Finally, Spit Flame is great for EDH where being able to re-use spells is very relevant!
3 months ago
4 months ago
Armed // Dangerous another CMC2 Double Strike, $0.21. Downside is it's Sorcery.
Archetype of Aggression, gives all your creatures Trample, $0.39. 6 ground + 4 flying (partial evasion) don't have trample, thats 1/2 your available hitters, including 1 infect.
Gruul Signet, CMC2 Rock, $0.30.
Farseek, CMC2 Ramp!!, $0.27.
Flameblast Dragon won't get his doubled. Timing is off.
Slagstorm scary because it wipes out the dorks, but I understand the thinking, with Cats/Snakes/Vampires.
Arbor Elf, CMC1 Dork, $0.26.
Beastcaller Savant, CMC2, But he has Haste, $0.40 though.
Heart Warden, annoying at CMC2, but can draw a card if late in the game if he's a dead draw, $0.20. Modular is sometimes nice, especially in longer games.
Explore might work pretty well with 40 lands, and it draws a card, so maintains your card-advantage and ramp advantage. I also feel you have quite a bit (too many) lands with all the additional ramp/dorks you have? Might try 38 instead.
Thunderfoot Baloth $1.69, but has trample, with Xenagos is 14 Trample, and gives all other creatures Trample. The best of the Trample enablers mentioned for sure.
Artisan of Kozilek he is 10/9 (20/19 with Xenagos), Returns a creature from your graveyard to the battlefield (not hand), and has Annihilator 2 (Opponent sacrifices 2 permanents, with haste from Xenagos) for $0.43. I have lots of this guy, I'll bring you one.
Maybe with some shuffling of mana sources you can free up cash for Malignus, but he's quite expensive. Tough for budget.
Phyrexian Hydra another Infect guy. Makes it easier to kill 3 players.
Khenra Charioteer more trample, hes a 3/3 so he's not shabby for CMC3. Probably don't need that much anyway.
Talisman of Impulse best non- non- mana source available for $0.33.
Explosive Vegetation is good, but $0.92 and CMC4, I'm not sure. Might look for another lower CMC one to ramp a little faster for that $. Go a bit faster.
I haven't seen this one work yet, See the Unwritten and at $0.82, I'd probably just draw another creature like a Artisan of Kozilek. If you get lucky and the stars align, maybe you get 2, but one might be an Elf. I'd rather just draw another key creature, instead of the randomness. If it was CMC5 or CMC4 and casting a CMC8 maybe, but it's CMC6 probably casting a CMC6 or lower (based on probability, I can calculate it when I have some more time)
Living Hive is in Main and Maybeboard.
I only like Momentous Fall (too expensive $), Deus of Calamity (enables Xenagos), Kavu Predator could be interesting in our Pod (vs cats/vamps anyway). Malignus if you can budget him in. Steel Hellkite good utility again CMC0 Snakes/Vampires for example. Thunderfoot Baloth.
Don't like anything else there.
I think, less lands -2 perhaps, cheaper ramp (and maybe 1 more), 1 more creature (infect guy preferably), reallocate some cash to make sure each creature is a finisher, like Avatar of Fury is kind of blah, if you can cast for 2 he's ok, but what you doing with the other mana that turn anyway, would rather pay the 6 for a finisher. Siege Dragon feels a little underpowered too, but can board wipe (cats/vamps/snakes), would rather use Steel Hellkite instead, better control, lower CMC.
Living Hive feels small for CMC8! Wtf, not sure what your doing with the 1/1 insects, that don't even fly.
That's about all I have for now +1.