|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2017 (C17)||Uncommon|
|Commander Anthology (CMT)||None|
|Duel Decks: Nissa vs. Ob Nixilis (DDR)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Uncommon|
|Eighth Edition (8ED)||Uncommon|
|Portal Three Kingdoms (PTK)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
You draw three cards and you lose 3 life.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Ambition's Cost Discussion
12 hours ago
Cards I'd consider adding:
- Xenic Poltergeist - Ok, this is so good for this deck. Hear me out. The artifact becomes a creature until your next turn. So it'll be an artifact on your opponent's upkeep which is when they conveniently have to sacrifice a creature. Super useful if you've already wiped their board but there's some problematic artifacts floating around, which in EDH, there always are.
- Mortuary Mire - useful for when Sheoldred isn't out or to retrieve an extra creature
- Draw power! Ambition's Cost, Ancient Craving, Night's Whisper, Cremate, Harvester of Souls, Resourceful Return.
- Vona's Hunger - helps get around indestructible or hexproof
- Black Market - for even more mana
- Scour from Existence - more non-creature removal, something black struggles with
- Solemn Simulacrum - really good ramp, especially when you have as much recursion as you do
- Kokusho, the Evening Star - another good target for killing and recurring and killing again.
- Hell's Caretaker - I'm not quite sure how the abilities/triggers stack, but I'm pretty sure you could sac something to this to bring something back and then bring back the sacrificed creature with Sheoldred all in the same upkeep.
Cards I'd remove:
- Annihilate - for 5 mana, yeah it can't be regenerated and yeah you get to draw a card, but gosh that's expensive. Is regeneration enough of a problem in your meta that Doom Blade doesn't suffice?
- Commander's Sphere - sure it draws a card but a mono-colored deck doesn't really need 'mana of any color'. There's surely other rocks that are better. Hedron Archive comes to mind.
- Leyline of the Void - seems extremely counterproductive to what your deck and your commander want to do
1 week ago
If you're having trouble protecting Licia, why not try adding some indestructible-giving abilities like Indestructibility, Shielded by Faith, or Bastion Protector? That'll protect Licia from a majority of removal spells
Bloodsworn Steward is good with Licia
I'd personally add a touch more draw. Look into the Ambition's Cost and Ancient Craving, as well as the less mana-friendly Promise of Power. Also, more removal wouldn't hurt. Check out Utter End, Anguished Unmaking, and the selective boardwipe Merciless Eviction
If you want tokens and a board presence, Crested Sunmare is your new best friend. Also, and though it may be a bit out of your budget, you might want to look into some of the Ajani and Sorin planeswalkers. They'll create tokens, and for the most part have lifegain themes. Elspeths also have token themes, though not really lifegain synergies, if you just want a bigger board state
IDK how competitive janky you want this deck to be, but if you want a fun, uberjanky, and cheap way to end games, look into Boros Reckoner and Spitemare, something that gives lifelink like Nearheath Pilgrim, and double damagers like Dictate of the Twin Gods or Furnace of Rath. Using indestructible-giving cards like Shielded by Faith or Boros Charm to give the Reckoner or Mare indestructable, then have it deal infinite damage to itself. If Reckoner or Mare has lifelink, then you gain infinite life. If you have a double-damage spell on the battlefield, then the Mare/Reckoner'll keep doubling the damage dealt to itself until eventually it can deal infinite damage to a player.
Good luck, and may the topdecks be ever in your favor ;)
2 weeks ago
Hey. Looks good. Here are some additional ideas.
Conqueror's Galleon Flip - card draw & recursion
Dowsing Dagger Flip - ramp
Golden Guardian Flip - ramp and instant blockers
Thaumatic Compass Flip - a maze is always good
Nim Deathmantle - recursion
Corpse Dance - recursion with haste and only a little drawback
Scavenger Grounds - against nasty grave interactions
Bojuka Bog - How could you miss this little dirty gem?
Underworld Connections - Card draw at will is always good.
Anguished Unmaking - Instant speed removal
I would cut:
Rupture Spire - you need untapped lands for this commander since you need to be fast. Too much tapped with this one.
Subjugator Angel - too small for too much mana. You don't always have your commander available.
Ambition's Cost - replace it with something that draws more for less.
Cathartic Reunion - too less consistent reanimation for this. Better pay some life to draw and keep the cards. Your commander needs them in your hand.
Vindicate - you can do better.
True Conviction - 6 mana and 3 of them white in a tri-color commander is quite hard. Especially since the effect does not really support your commander. Better draw some card draw or haste cards and drop them 3 to 4 turns earlier than this one.
Dark Ritual - Better insert another tutor to really get what you want. With this commander there is a high propability that it will become a useless card. Even another mana rock is better in here.
That's it for now. I may come back with more.
JuQ on Edgar's Army
2 weeks ago
Sanctum Seeker or Brutal Hordechief instead of or maybe together with your Campaign of Vengeance.
Crib Swap Instant removal that happens to be a vampire spell.
Painful Truths a cheaper Ambition's Cost in a three color deck.
Legion Lieutenant just perfect for your end goals.
Stromkirk Occultist, Champion of Dusk and Syphon Mind for more card draw.
Bishop of Binding a vampire tribal Bannisher Priest.
Maybe you could cut some lands, your costs are quite low.
3 weeks ago
Agreed. In play testing I had difficulty casting Falkenrath Noble because I couldn't hit my land drops consistently and once I did they usually came into play tapped so I was constantly behind tempo.
Up the land count to 24 even if its more basics (bonus helps Isolated Chapel chapel not ETB tapped).
And Bontu's Last reckoning doesn't play very well as its basically a time walk for our opponents. If against aggro maybe include a side board option like Drown in Sorrow.
For card draw Grim Haruspex can help with that and also fit the theme of the deck. Otherwise you are looking at Ambition's Cost or Harrowing Journey/Caress of Phyrexia (which can also finish off an opponent) at the Falkenrath Noble spot
1 month ago
Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that. I don't really like Dusk Legion Zealot or Ambition's Cost, so definitely remove those. You have 1-2 too many lands, so I would take out a Mountain. BTW, to reference players, go like this:
with all brackets. It ends up like this: KINGofORESKOS and Lord_Loss931. This sends them a notification, so they'll see your comment. Hope that helps!
[[KINGofORESKOS]] and [[Lord_loss931]]
1 month ago
Well of Lost Dreams is solid card draw in a lifegain deck. Angelheart Vial is actually not great, but it at least fits the theme. Necropotence might be good here, since you've got ways to kill it and ways to gain more life so you don't end up locked out of drawing cards. I don't see a lot of ways to take advantage of your graveyard, so Skeletal Scrying is a solid option. And there's several other one-shot card-drawing spells in black you could take advantage of - Night's Whisper, Ambition's Cost, Ancient Craving, Hoarder's Greed.
This isn't exactly card draw, but Whip of Erebos is awesome with your commander and it might be worth an include because of that. If you let Obzedat go to the graveyard when it dies, you can just Whip it back on your turn. At the end of the turn, as long as you stack Obzedat's exile trigger on top of Whip's, you'll get your Obzedat back like normal. Whip won't interfere with Obzedat's exile trigger. If you do go this route, you probably want to make sure to have a few more ways to get Obzedat out of your graveyard, whether it's exile or Raise Dead or reanimation. Nezumi Graverobber is a classic Commander card and could be sweet.
How about some creature cuts? I'd cut:
- Serra Avatar because you have no way to give it evasion, so it's just going to get chumped by Squirrels
- High Priest of Penance because you don't have ways to abuse it, so it's just a really awkward Vindicate that often won't work
- Treasury Thrull because casting a six-mana 4/4 feels so bad and even if it lives a round so it can attack, it's very likely to get blocked by something that will kill it
- Hokori, Dust Drinker because this deck is full of 5-, 6- and 7-drops and it doesn't have a lot of artifact mana or Seedborn Muse or Sword of Feast and Famine to make the effect less symmetrical. Against decks with more ramp or a lower curve, Hokori is a liability.
2 months ago
You're going to want to speed up the deck a little bit by removing 2 or 3 lands, and adding in a few more mana rocks as replacements. With 39 lands, you're probably going to feel mana flooded. Mind Stone, Fellwar Stone, Star Compass, Thought Vessel are good 2 cmc mana rocks, Commander's Sphere, Orzhov Cluestone are color fixing/cantrips later on in the game.
You probably want about 8 sources of card draw, currently you only have 3. Consider Sign in Blood, Night's Whisper, Read the Bones, Ancient Craving, Ambition's Cost, Promise of Power, Dark Tutelage, Necropotence. Cheap card draw will also help smooth out your land drops during the early game, and give you more gas later on in the game. Personally, I found Well of Lost Dreams to be too slow. Grave yard recursion is also card advantage: Phyrexian Reclamation, Chainer, Dementia Master
As for the deck itself:
What do you consider to be the main win condition? It looks like you're trying to go for a pillowfort strategy with life gain/drain, so you probably want some cards like Ghostly Prison, Windborn Muse, Sphere of Safety, Righteous Aura, Thaumatic Compass Flip to protect yourself even more. Lifegain still loses against commander damage, so you might also want some more spot removal: Royal Assassin, Dark Impostor