|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2017 (C17)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Legendary Creature — Dragon Avatar
Eminence - As long as The Ur-Dragon is in the command zone or on the battlefield, other Dragon spells you cast cost 1 less to cast.
Whenever one or more Dragons you control attack, draw that many cards, then you may put a permanent card from your hand onto the battlefield.
Commander Recommendations Start Commander Deck
Latest as Commander
The Ur-Dragon Discussion
2 weeks ago
So, below is a list of cards I am considering adding. Thank you Struyk for some ideas! I am not a fan of the Sarkans though. None of them are really good enough to make the deck. Let me know what you think about the list, and what you think I should cut from the deck!
Morophon, the Boundless - Now the best card in the deck, bar none! He only cost in the decks thanks to our commander, and even makes The Ur-Dragon cost right back! That is a good relationship right there!
Rhythm of the Wild - Protection for counter and hate/pump in one small package. Pretty sweet!
Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner - She can ramp, see can untap something to block, and she draws cards. Seems pretty good to me!
Colossal Majesty - Situational +1 draw is kinda risky...
Niv-Mizzet Reborn - I just think it is cool. Only hits about a dozen cards in the deck though...
Prismatic Vista - Seems ok.. but not great in 5 cooler with only 5 basic lands.
Primevals' Glorious Rebirth - The CMC keeps making me not like this card. It can get you out of a losing game though...
3 weeks ago
I think that you can safely cut 1 land since you have 35 + 2x rocks, which is the amount of mana producers that I personally run in my The Ur-Dragon deck with higher curve and avg. CMC at 3.00. Also with the amount of draw/card filtering/tutors you're in good position to see enough lands each game.
Also isn't your manabase perfect enough so you don't actually need to use Chromatic Lantern ? My point is that in Slivers Gemhide Sliver and Manaweft Sliver are already making it's job in 2 copies at 2 CMC.
_Delta_ I actually think that in Tribal deck like this, where creatures also act as a some kind of toolbox (in which Slivers excel at) Eladamri's Call is too good to cut it. I'd personally try to find some room for Worldly Tutor as an easy way to find Sliver Queen or new Lavabelly Sliver before turn we gonna win.
1 month ago
I think that's about right given the curve, as well as the desire actually to try to cast The Ur-Dragon at some point.
It is, if anything, a bit high in terms of ramp, as if you add lands, we're at 52 sources of raw ramp; 55 conditional ramp if you count Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma , Savage Ventmaw , and Urza's Incubator . That's one of the reasons I added in 1-2 draw slots, as with a ramp package that aggressive, draw is key. Most games I've found that if I can't get 1-2 draw packages to stick/get going, it's not going to go very well.
1 month ago
Hello, first things first, I'm glad that someone else is trying to build The Ur-Dragon deck.
I'd consider lowering the curve and add some cheap draw spells like Brainstorm (with fetches it works great), Night's Whisper (2 mana for 2 cards is always nice) and swap Sarkhans for Deathrite Shaman and Sarkhan the Mad as first one ramps you and grants utility for only and that Sarkhan can immediately ult and kill someone.
If you want some more inspiration then come and see my build, which I'm trying to optimize as much as possible: Bow before Draconic King!!! | *WAR* Update
1 month ago
Silent Arbiter is definitely worth considering to avoid being swarmed ( Crawlspace will be coming in to do a similar job) and Null Brooch seems like a great way to get value out of and empty hand. Probably going to pass on Geode Golem though: while I can see the value for colour-intensive or expensive commanders (e.g. The Ur-Dragon ), he does next to nothing here. Even if he gets out and hits you still have to pay the commander tax, and if I'm at the point in the game where I've already cast Karn twice but can't make as much colourless mana as I need then things have Gone Wrong. At the end of the day he's a 5/3 for five with a limited, linear ability and that just isn't enough for EDH.
1 month ago
Actually it's 22 of 99 so 22,22% or with 23 of 100 The Ur-Dragon and then straight up 23%, however I prefer the first calculation since we always have our commander aviable as 8th card at the start of each game.
The critical mass you've mentioned I think it's somewhere between 20-21 and getting lower than that might hurt more than it helps, so getting rid of 1-2 from initial 24 might be a good decision.
And Sarkhan's Triumph is actually bad for it's cost - we're better off with Eladamri's Call since it also gets creature to the hand so with Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma , Selvala, Heart of the Wilds and Bloom Tender being good at every point of the game it's straight up upgrade. For there's also Worldly Tutor , which, when used just before our turn is technically getting a card to hand? That might be the correct play of it.
1 month ago
Yeah, the double colored symbol in casting cost definitely was on my mind regarding Kindred Discovery .
Also as I am looking at the deck I see a trend: our Dragons have abilities that synergize well with others or have standalone effects that are very good but Hellkite Tyrant lately looks like it does belong in an artifact or Scion of the Ur-Dragon deck more than The Ur-Dragon - do you think it might get cut out for lower CMC interaction or card draw? As I said earlier sometimes it's better to blow things up instead of stealing them.
2 months ago
- Conqueror's Flail seems to work quite nice for me since it often gives 3-5 power boost, which is more than enough to win with Atarka, World Render + The Ur-Dragon . I once equipped it onto Dragonlord Dromoka because I didn't have any better target and it gave me so much life that I didn't care about lack of blockers later. Also if it draws hate it's great because I have waaay better things to come in terms of Artifacts/Enchantments. Also giving 3-5 power means that Bloom Tender will give 3-5 mana.
- Kindred Discovery has been on my mind for about 2-3 weeks now. It sometimes gets in a way of actually casting a Dragon so after I've listened to a few podcasts I'm starting to thinking about one-shot draw effects like Night's Whisper or Painful Truths in it's place. Don't like the idea of having another conditional draw especially after someone blows my board but if I'd swap something right now I'd probably do Kindred Discovery for Elemental Bond
- How's been Greater Good performing for you? I wish I had some sort of sac outlet for Dragon Egg tokens but I think Vaevictis Asmadi, the Dire and Devour babies from Dragon Broodmother should be enough.
- Planeswalker removal shouldn't be too much of a concern since I review planeswalkers by their abilities and if it actually impacts my board when they "do the thing" and immediately after hit the bin. So Sarkhan Vol 's haste or Act of Treason is good enough and Sarkhan the Mad after dropping of The Ur-Dragon 's trigger (done it a few times already, feels great) is just knock-out spell (best used for pillowfort players) and later I don't care if it stays. Sarkhan, Fireblood is so small and on the surface seems to be weak that other players don't care about killing it unless it's unblocked and can easily die. But it's actually a ramp/fixing planeswalker. All of them also have token spawning options, which helps win with Scourge of Valkas / Dragon Tempest .
- Also you've mentioned some cheap interaction or ramp spells - do you have anything specific in mind? I'm thinking recently about Mystic Remora .
The Ur-Dragon occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%