|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
((W/B) can be paid with either (White) or (Black).)
At the beginning of your upkeep, put target creature card in a graveyard into play under your control.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (9)||YossarianLives , Kimimaro , sonnet666 , tangrams , fireborne1986 , awalloftext , cklise , MattN7498 , Spinalripper|
|Want (3)||brokendwarf , TheAlmostHero , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819|
Debtors' Knell Discussion
6 days ago
You should probably aim for Tainted Remedy rather than False Cure. It can be tricky leaving the mana open rather than being able to just fire and forget.
Since your deck's aiming for a long, grindy game, you might be interested in cards like Treasury Thrull, Phyrexian Reclamation, Phyrexian Arena, Debtors' Knell, Emeria Shepherd, Blind Obedience and the like.
1 week ago
A few observations/thoughts in no particular order:
Feel like you could plug in a Divinity of Pride to smash face and gain life. Your mana seems pretty well covered, so shouldn't be tough to cast.
It's not exactly a novel idea, but Merciless Eviction is the kind of card you can occasionally be VERY happy to draw.
Hope that helps!
4 weeks ago
4 weeks ago
Debtors' Knell is hybrid mana which makes it an illegal card in your deck. Things with hybrid mana costs have to be in decks whose commander is both colors of that hybrid, sorry. If you are looking for something similar, I'd try Grave Betrayal.
1 month ago
Extort is a great way to tackle multiple opponents. If I'm right, your main strategy is to use extort AND (s)tax cards to whittle down your opponents' strengths.
The biggest problem I see with your deck is that its average CMC is way too high in order for you to use extort effectively. You will need to make some cuts to make the deck more effective in that area. I would also really find some additional ways to add some ramp to your deck, to make it a little faster. Last but not least, I would lessen the deck's focus on both tax (paying extra mana for stuff) and stax (forcing sacrifices) while also trying to build an extort deck.
Here are my suggestions:
Before suggesting additions, let me first suggest some cuts:
- Abhorrent Overlord: too expensive, bad synergy with rest of the deck
- Ashen Rider; cool creature, nice spot removal, but too damn expensive. Especially when you need your mana each turn to use your extort abilities.
- Darien, King of Kjeldor: too expensive, bad synergy with rest of the deck
- Emeria Shepherd: nice recursion, but too expensive CMC
- razaketh, the foulblooded : this is one of the main reasons that currently makes this deck very ineffective. It's one of two reason (Eldrazi Monument being the other) that you are running so many token generators.
- Dictate of Erebos: this is really not the deck's focus, and not needed if you also use tax cards.
- Debtors' Knell: nice recursion but fucking expensive (CMC-wise); there are cheaper alternatives.
- Grave Betrayal: nice steal card but again, unreal-fucking expensive
- Martyr's Bond: too expensive, there are cheaper alternatives
- Eldrazi Monument: no reason why this should be in here
- Everflowing Chalice: you need ramp but this does not work too well unless you're playing a counter/proliferate deck.
- Godsend: spot removal is nice, you need it, but there are cheaper ways.
- Devout Invocation: nice finisher but this deck can do without such an expensive card.
- Increasing Devotion: you do not need tokens
- Rout: I would replace this with a more interesting wipe (more on that below).
Ok, now that my removal suggestions are out of the way, time for some addition suggestions.
Adding two more lands wouldn't hurt. I would also consider adding Solemn Simulacrum, Burnished Hart or even Weathered Wayfarer. If you feel like spending big, Land Tax might be nice. In terms of ramp artifacts, Mind Stone, Thought Vessel or Commander's Sphere would fit well here.
I'm missing Treasury Thrull. Not just a great extorter, but also nice for recursion purposes.
Norn's Annex is an even better version of Ghostly Prison in my opinion. Especially for you since giving up 4 life to cast this in turn 2-3 is not a problem at all; you're gaining oodles of life anyway. Authority of the Consuls is awesome in this deck too, and so cheap! Since you're so fond of recursion, how about Athreos, God of Passage. His ability synergizes so well with your deck! Finally, Karmic Justice is cheap to cast and is almost as good as Martyr's Bond. And not a (s)tax card perse, but Crawlspace stops any ambitious token player dead in its tracks against you.
In terms of draw, with the amount of life you can gain with this deck, it basically begs for a Necropotence (or maybe an Underworld Connections or Greed). For tutoring, I'd add something like Enlightened Tutor (as enchantments are important to your deck's success). Diabolic Tutor could also be added; even Vampiric Tutor if you feel like throwing money around.
For spot removal, I'd suggest Unmake. For wipes, I'd replace Rout with Fumigate (gain live while wiping; noice :)). Also, Toxic Deluge is simply made for lifegain decks like yours, and it will even get rid of indestructible creatures.
As an afterthought
Well, I hope I did not forget anything and that any of this helped. If not, feel free to curse my name haha. If it did help, I would ask in return if you could peruse a deck of mine and leave your comments and/or likes. Thanks and happy gaming!
1 month ago
I was wondering if i am allowed to put a card like Debtors' Knell in my mono black commander deck?
1 month ago
Constant reanimation effects like Reya Dawnbringer or Debtors' Knell seem good in theory, but in most circumstances, they don't pull their weight. There are usually not enough targets to satisfy them. Plus Reya can't return things from other graveyards. All in all, she's a 9 mana 4/6 with flying. Plus for her to be consistent I'd require to have other pieces in play to pitch my bombs. In other words, she's not worth the price for what she does unless there are other pieces to help support her, though there are some situations where she's resourceful, such as when someone board wipes, but there are better mass reanimation effects that beat her.
Thanks for the suggestion though.