|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
: Add to your mana pool.
, : Until end of turn, you may cast nonland cards as though they had flash.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Alchemist's Refuge Discussion
20 hours ago
I think your mana base is a little messy.
- There's no need for the Panoramas (Bant Panorama and Naya Panorama), you could just go with Terramorphic Expanse and Evolving Wilds.
- Checklands (Rootbound Crag, Hinterland Harbor and Sulfur Falls) and Bouncelands (Simic Growth Chamber, Izzet Boilerworks and Gruul Turf) benefit most from decks having more basics, so I'd tell you to replace some utility lands with basics (drop Alchemist's Refuge, Desolate Lighthouse and maybe even Kessig Wolf Run)
- Manlands (Lumbering Falls, Raging Ravine and Wandering Fumarole) aren't all that useful in EDH. Considering the amount of lands in your deck, I think you might want to cut them as well.
- Considering the amount of card-draw in the deck, you might want to consider Reliquary Tower
As for ramp in itself:
- Gilded Lotus is amazing, but it only nets you one color of mana, which can be a bummer at times.
- I always advocate for the use of all available signets (Simic Signet, Izzet Signet and Gruul Signet in your case), since they fix your colors in the early game and help you ramp up a bit (plus, a Sol Ring + Signet starting hand can go crazy pretty fast)
- Thought Vessel and Mind Stone are other 2-mana artifacts with some great extra utility.
Cards I don't like/I don't find useful enough:
- Crystal Shard - Reusable bounce is good, but I don't think this card is good enough to be here.
- Ranger's Path could be replaced with Nissa's Expedition (if you tap a creature it's exacly like a Explosive Vegetation) or Nissa's Renewal (costs more, but gets you 3 lands and 7 life). Or simply drop it. You run too few basics and with all the sorcery ramping you might run out of lands to search for...
- Recurring Insight - In the late game where you can give in to the luxury of spending 6 mana to draw some cards it can be great, but I'd rather use it in a See the Unwritten or Seasons Past or Selvala's Stampede or Saheeli's Artistry.
- Zendikar Incarnate - poor defenses and no trample. You can do better. Mystic Snake or Ogre Battledriver or Master Biomancer or Faerie Artisans (you can clone the token with Riku in order to keep it)
- Charmbreaker Devils can be good, but they might do nothing as well
- Deadwood Treefolk doesn't seem that appealing to me either; specially considering it only gets back creature cards. Greenwarden of Murasa is almost strictly better (bigger body and returns any card, but no "leaves the battlefield" trigger)
- Rampaging Baloths seems out of place. Yes, it creates some good tokens for playing lands, but generating 1 trample-less 4/4 per turn seems pretty bad. This creature is better suited for landfall-based decks in my opinion.
- Sphinx of Uthuun and Fact or Fiction are cards I just can't enjoy. I think the impact they make is negligible in the game, but I understand the appeal and sometimes it can be quite interesting. I'd say keep the creature and ditch the spell.
Other suggestions (mostly more creatures to use as a toolbox):
- Farhaven Elf another ramp on a stick.
- Reclamation Sage is a staple in the format for a reason
- Peregrine Drake generates infinte mana in conjunction with Deadeye Navigator and gives you some quick ways of ending the game (such as paying buyback of Capsize to Upheaval everyone but yourself constantly)
- Triumph of the Hordes - another win con
- Ghostly Flicker gives you a way to reuse ETB triggers or save something from removal. Also has a combo with Peregrine Drake + Archeomancer.
- Coiling Oracle forces you to reveal the top card, but the fact that it ramps if it's a land makes it so much better
- Phyrexian Ingester - removal on a stick. You could also go with Duplicant
- Drowner of Hope - never underestimate this little guy, since it's quite versatile. The "sac a scion: tap a creature" has saved me quite a few times and it can also work as some sort of ramp tool (It costs , but it refunds with the tokens).
- Nim Deathmantle brings a creature back for one more round.
6 days ago
Alchemist's Refuge flash in things.
Cyclonic Rift every blue deck should run this
Wirewood Symbiote is great for elf decks..saves your creatures, and boosts your activated abilities
Viridian Corrupter never hurts to blow up stuff.
Krosan Grip For when your opponent is about to go off.
Overwhelming Denial I can see this card being good in this deck...You'll almost never get to cast it for its surge cost on the opponents turn, but it's great for protecting your stuff.
Reality Shift Unconditional exile...yes please.
Coastal Piracy essentially a second Bident of Thassa
Creeping Renaissance Great to recover after your huge army gets wiped.
Beast Within Price is low due to a recent printing and goes in every green deck ever!
I would reconsider the following cards:
Abjure too conditional. It would suck to not have a blue permanent when you need to counter something.
Aeon ChroniclerKinda slow and expensive. You may be better off running other card draw.
Quiet Contemplation is a cool card, but only triggers on non-creature spells. How consistently are you able to tap something down?
Grip of Amnesia is too conditional. consider Syncopate or Swan Song. Swan Song has the political synergy with Edric. "I give you a creature, now swing at our opponent for value!"
Some "non-budget" recommendations:
Upgrade your manabase, first with a Breeding Pool
Eternal Witness recursion...Good with bounce effects, which you're running a lot of
Arachnogenesis It supports your "go-wide" theme and is usually a one-sided Fog (your creatures kill theirs).
Song of the Dryads Unconditional removal in green. So good in Commander.
1 week ago
I have not had any issues hitting enough lands with this deck as the Serum Visions and Mishra's Baubles help me filter through my deck a little bit -- and if I need lands at the time, I just keep those on top. Hitting that 5th land can sometimes be a stretch, but with only one 5 drop, it has never come to bite me. With that being said, I am all for adding 1 more land -- just not at the expense of either a Cryptic Command (I would love to run another!) or the Nissa, Vastwood Seer Flip. I agree that she is normally very lackluster. But if she sticks around to use he ult (not hard given she can do that the turn after she hits play), it normally means you win the game; and it's not like her +1 is too shabby either. I have a Temur list that is similar. It runs 23 lands, has a lot more 5 drops, and I can say I have never had a mana issue with it.I have also won games by siding in Worm Harvest against control. It feels bad for them if they counter it as it can be used from the graveyard (allowing you to pitch it and not care) and is fairly easy to re-use. That being said, I would not be opposed to Thrun, the Last Troll either.
That being said, I did switch out the Alchemist's Refuge and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth for more basics. I am already running 7 fetches -- a number I do not want to go above with this aggressive meta. But the addition of the basics gives the the ability to play all my spells through BloodMoon if I am able to get them out before it hits. both of those lands were leftovers from a prior rendition of the deck.
1 week ago
struck21, I definitely need to expand my mana-base. I ran out of money while building it so it doesn't have everything I would have wanted. I'm shocked that Yavimaya Hollow isn't in there though. There may be one in my physical deck. Otherwise it didn't make the budget and I just forgot.
With all the wizards, Cavern of Souls be fantastic. Congrats on the pull. I have 2 other decks that need one first, sadly. Maybe if I pull 3? XP
I like the other ideas too. I initially wanted to shy away from too many colorless-producing lands, but after playing it, I think they'd be fine. I'll definitely be adding Alchemist's Refuge now.
Glad you liked the deck, and thanks for reminding me to take a second look at my lands:)
1 week ago
So I went through and copied your deck and made a few changes, awesome deck by the way. I did most my changes in land. Alchemist's Refuge is a work horse. Dropping Defense of the Heart on the end step before my turn is lovely. Yavimaya Hollow is another great add, has saved my Seedborn Muse several times. Pulled Cavern of Souls today and put that in. Picked up a Riptide Laboratory as well. With so many Wizards in the deck, it is nice to save some if I can.
The local card shop that I play at has an EDH league with a point system. I lose points for killing a table all at once, so I have to find ways to do it one turn at a time. Kruphix, God of Horizons is a godsend for that.
2 weeks ago
2 weeks ago
Yeah Seems strange that a card named Island Sanctuary is white.
All seem as though they may fit.
2 weeks ago
Mind Over Matter+lab man- instant win con with arcanis but less fun in casual
Hive Mind+either of the 2 pacts-kill anyone not playing said colors on their turn
Silent Arbiter-aggro sucks sometimes
Helix Pinnacle-I mean if you have the mana...
Planar Bridge-I mean you really should have mana
Eternal Witness-honestly one of the best green creatures
If you want other sources for inspiration: