|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Battle for Zendikar (BFZ)||Rare|
|Zendikar Expeditions (EXP)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Land — Swamp Mountain
(: Add or to your mana pool.)
Smoldering Marsh enters the battlefield tapped unless you control two or more basic lands.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (41)||Willis1994 , Justinaut , mcstang1986 , Axtel , bakunet , pskinn01 , NobleSlay3r , the.beanpole , Vasbear1 , Fullmetalmage , Doom_of_Valyria , SpottedGee , gildan_bladeborn , meowCat1234 , Skydra2 , killstars , Mousemke , , Big-Foot , cklise , TheRealPeaches , saj0219 , Spinalripper , DudeMan1031 , jstn.mrrtt , MattN7498 , silvereh , mziter501 , bigc137 , Prettyfun , Lindough , Ellyreia , knto , cburns , TehDelta , joshw335 , frederiklw , Randomdeath , Espi14 , , rebelteddybear|
|Want (7)||Clawsun73 , rakdos24 , golgarigirl , Turtlelover73 , LoneCrusader399 , Riders_of_Brohan , Mrbiscuit22|
Smoldering Marsh Discussion
2 days ago
Not sure of your budget, but here are some suggestion.
Alternative to Combo Win-Cons
The standard win-con in a Kaalia of the Vast which is not a combo is... Land Destruction! The idea being to use card's like Boros Charm, Avacyn, Angel of Hope, Teferi's Protection to protect yourself; OR have an A/D/D in hand that you can free cast that demands a response, but is hard to deal with no lands, like Hellkite Tyrant or Iona, Shield of Emeria. The key cards to this strategy are: Crucible of Worlds, Armageddon, Ravages of War, Cataclysm, Strip Mine, Waste land, Command Beacon. This is a HIGHLY viable strategy, people may not like facing your Kaalia of the Vast deck, but it definitely isn't a combo strategy.
Master of Cruelties has to be in there, attack with Kaalia of the Vast, drop in Master of Cruelties, during the declare blockers step their life becomes 1 (assuming he is unblocked), and Kaalia of the Vast hits for 2 finishing the player. Not a combo, a necessary Demon.
Another common strategy is multiple attack phases, non-combo, but with big A/D/D beaters, having multiple swings (especially with Vigilance is amazing way to deal damage). The key cards are: Hellkite Charger, Aggravated Assault, Sword of Feast and Famine, Aurelia, the Warleader, Seize the Day. There is a combo with Adarkar Valkyrie + Aurelia, the Warleader + sac outlet out of interest. Adarkar Valkyrie although not working properly with the Kaalia of the Vast mechanics, is still a great recursion angel. Reconnaissance is nice for this strategy too, as you can pull back your Kaalia of the Vast against block heavy decks, as well POST-damage, you can pull back EVERYONE, basically it gives all your creatures Vigilance.
Free A/D/D strategy, you have it with Sneak Attack, Quicksilver Amulet, Mimic Vat so your already there, try a Whip of Erebos gives all your creatures Lifelink, which increases your sustainability in drawn out games (non-combo strategy the only way to win is in a drawn-out game), plus give you another recursion engine. Could use a Sundial of the Infinite to keep them on the board permanently!!
Stranglehold is another good control mechanism, you have a few, can look at pairing it with Maralen of the Mornsong to lock down opponents draw. She has synergy with some other guys like Aven Mindcensor/Ob Nixilis, Unshackled. Eidolon of Rhetoric might stop a Sunforger cast depending on what you did earlier that turn, like a Haste Kaalia of the Vast for example, to consider, or in an Armageddon build will be very bad.
Out of the 99 Considerations
I'm not a huge fan of Reverberate/Shunt, you have Sunforger so I get it, but it will often just sit in your hand. And Kaalia of the Vast is usually splash , so not that valuable. Would rather have a Steel Hellkite or a Gisela, the Broken Blade, or heck, even a Wild Ricochet
Solemn Simulacrum really unnecessary land searching. Use mana-enablers instead.
Boros Garrison/Orzhov Basilica I find it too slow without infinite combo, although it ramps, but you have lots of mana enablers. Field of Ruin colorless mana isn't great, don't need the search. Flamekin Village cost is too high, tapped+, try a Hall of the Bandit Lord. Shadowblood Ridge is also not great (I know it seems like it should be, but it's not!), Slayers' Stronghold is too expensive , use Hanweir Battlements instead, but even then it's borderline (but better), Smoldering Marsh isn't going to come in untapped when you need it, Temple of Malice/Temple of Silence I also don't like, but borderline for me would be my last cuts, Vivid Meadow is no.
Earnest Fellowship I wouldn't do this, might make it hard for you to block (which you have the big creatures that are hard to block already). A little too dangerous for my liking, let opponents pump their creatures, no need to do it for them, and block with your big guys.
Devoted Caretaker I wish she provided protection period so could go unblockable. I think Mother of Runes is enough, but maybe theres someone that gives just protection and doesn't cost a and ? But it does permanents, so I get it.
Kothophed, Soul Hoarder will not be your friend some days during board wipe, but with so little drawing in Mardu, he's a fun one! I would run him in this type of build!
Sun Titan is questionable, what are you bringing back? Lightning Greaves, Sunforger, Animate Dead, Necromancy only stuff. He's discretionary. High Mana cost but utility, he can combo with Fiend Hunter but again combos a different strategy (so can Karmic Guide btw).
Right now, your 46%, 33%, 21% but your mana is 28%, 37%, 35%. In addition, Turn 1: 80%, 10%, 10%! / lands will be your best friends, but balancing / and / lands too. Avoid / that don't provide value, like Mountain, Shadowblood Ridge (awful), Smoldering Marsh, Temple of Malice.
Demonic Tutor doesn't get much better than that! Mortify can be a good utility removal the CMC3 makes it less attractive, Vampiric Tutor although inefficient to pull a Lightning Greaves or Gisela, Blade of Goldnight is still good enough. It's instant so at EOT pull what you need. Rakdos the Defiler can be fun in a Armageddon model. Fetid Heath/Rugged Prairie are not too shabby. Sensei's Divining Top can help look and top-deck the A/D/D you need, IF you have none in hand it can swap places so you don't miss Kaalia of the Vast drops. Cavern of Souls against Grixis/Izzet, Phyrexian Reclamation can keep you rolling once you run out of cards-in-hand, an alternate quasi-draw.
Very good Kaalia of the Vast non-combo deck, looks like a blast to play. Hopefully you found some of these ramblings useful.
5 days ago
Hey, I've never piloted a Kaalia deck, I have only played against her and from my experience, she gets the attention on the table most of the times and for good reason. People really know Kaalia. So I think that playing her has some key elements that could be improved.
Get her out fast fast fast.
In order to do that I'd replace these with basics and boost your speed since you're playing all those fetchlands.
- Akoum Refuge: ETB tapped, no good here.
- Vivid Meadow, Forgotten Cave, Boros Garrison, Orzhov Basilica, Rakdos Carnarium: See above.
- Molten Slagheap: Too slow.
- Transguild Promenade: Just plain awful. Don't let this one fool you with it's "mana of any color", it's still awful.
- Opal Palace: You don't need the color fixing and the bonus counter won't do much difference as Kaalia's blows are not what you're aiming here.
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth needs it's best friend Cabal Coffers, otherwise a fetchable basic swamp will do fine. Or maybe a dual one like Canyon Slough or Smoldering Marsh, which sometimes enter untappped.
Land Tax when you replace all the above for basics.
- Talisman of Indulgence or Fellwar Stone, mana rocks for
Kaalia has been around long time so people know how dangerous she can be.
- Darksteel Plate could be useful, specially against wraths but it doesn't do much against bouncing or exiling, which is why Whispersilk Cloak could be a better alternative, and can help you avoid combat damage as well.
- Mother of Runes will give her protection in response to whatever spot removal targetting her.
- Grand Abolisher helps you avoid getting Kaalia countered.
If Kaalia has died several times, what now.
As you probably know, she will get focused and sometimes you just can't protect her enough. You need alternatives when this happens.
- Karmic Guide can reanimate anything and it's an angel. Works well with Reya Dawnbringer.
- Sneak Attack is expensive but great, consider it. If not, Quicksilver Amulet is good too.
- Phyrexian Reclamation works awesome with the card above.
- Chancellor of the Annex could be given a try to slow down your opponents while you cast your big creatures. Also, if it's on your initial hand, bye-bye turn 1 Sol Rings.
Other things I noticed
- You lack card drawing. It's essential to have angels / demons / dragons on your hand on each of your attack phases. Phyrexian Arena and Necropotence. Watch out for Emrakuls on your meta with the latter. Some wheels could prove useful refilling your hand, though Wheel of Fortune is expensive, Winds of Change, Magus of the Wheel, Wheel of Fate and Dragon Mage are good alternatives.
- On the same issue as above, Sire Of Insanity and Malfegor aren't helping you with that.
- You have access to the best colors for removal. Ditch Soul Snare and Angelic Edict for the more versatile ones Vindicate, Anguished Unmaking or Utter End. Even Chaos Warp is a better alternative than the two I mentioned. Instant speed removal is crucial.
- Same as above with sweepers. Wrath of God, Day of Judgment, Damnation are much better than Armageddon, because as it let's you a great advantage and all it also puts a huge target on your head, because you basically stop them from having fun at all. And in my experience, people tend to remember those who broke their lands, it's just the way it is. You don't need more hate, Kaalia will draw enough herself. On the borderline of this are Cataclysm and Rakdos the Defiler. The other Rakdos, Rakdos, Lord of Riots is a way better alternative. Imagine swinging with Kaalia, on her trigger putting RTR Rakdos, then on your second main you'll be able to cast a creature with it's cost reduced.
- You have 4 instants now (more coming in the future I hope) and 3 creatures with activated abilities requiring mana. Price of Glory punish your for using those. I know it will punish counterspells as well, but there are some alternatives for that that won't draw the hate on your head, as stated above.
- Lastly, I know I insisted a lot on avoid drawin unnecesary hate on you, but Ob Nixilis, Unshackled is another one to give some thought. People really love their ramping and tutoring. Though in this case I'm not saying you should remove him, just re-evaluate his inclusion.
I hope some of this suggestions help in any way.
1 week ago
3 weeks ago
Tireless Tracker seems like a must here, and I think you want at least 1 Smoldering Marsh to let you wooded foothills fetch black. You could go deeper and run a Cinder Glade and some Bloodstained Mire for even more consistent mana.
I feel like the deck wants to find a way to abuse landfall more, and that Winding Constrictor is kind of off theme (with only 8 cards that it helps main deck). I wonder if there're some other ways to mess with all these land you've got. Maybe Retreat to Kazandu in the board... maybe Embodiment of Fury as a one or two of for a way to close games out. I definitely want to see at least one Nissa, Vital Force somewhere to help convert land drops to cards along with Tireless Tracker
3 weeks ago
From the initial deck
1 month ago
Suggestions:Vampires Olivia Voldaren
Defiant Bloodlord More expensive Vizkopa Guildmage or Sanguine Bond but on theme and more combo pieces
Vampiric Tutor -tutors are great
Mastermind's Acquisition -another tutor also "wish" affect allowing you to grab legal cards outside of game*
Non-vampires but solid combo/synergy cards
Bloodstained Mire-Any "fetch" lands to help mana fixing and to grab dual lands
1 month ago
Hey, good job in the Commander league.
Haste is an ability you really want with Silvers, you already have Heart Sliver which is good, but I suggest also adding Blur Sliver and Firewake Sliver. Crystalline Sliver has already been suggested, but I'm going to suggest it again since it can be a game winning two drop Sliver. You already have Winged Sliver, but I suggest also adding Galerider Sliver more flying evasion and it's a one drop Sliver.
Harmonic Sliver can be devastating to your opponents. This Sliver is so good that some nonSliver decks play it because it gives you value when it ETB. The ability it gives Silvers when they ETB is not a may ability if your opponents don't control any artifacts or enchantments and you do then you must destroy one of your own. To prevent this play Darksteel Ingot. It's a three drop Rainbow mana rock with indestructible, it can't be destroyed. Target it with Slivers who ETB to prevent having to destroy your own.
A couple of underrated Slivers who can draw a lot of cards to consider adding: Synapse Sliver and Dormant Sliver. Hibernation Sliver is also underrated as it can save any Sliver from removal, board wipes, exile, etc. It's ability has no mana cost and doesn't target, it can be used with any Sliver who has shroud, you can save Crystalline for the cost of 2 life.
Sliver Queen has already been suggested and if you want to win with an infinite combo with Slivers then it's the best Sliver to include. Horned Sliver has also been mentioned, it's great with Sliver Hivelord giving it trample.
Amoeboid Changeling and Unnatural Selection can make any creature an opponent controls into a Sliver letting Overlord permanently gain control of that creature adding it to your Sliver army. Mirror Entity can be a Sliver, it's a Changeling and it can pump an entire army of Slivers. All Slivers get this power and toughness boost while keeping all their abilities.
Cards to consider adding:
- Crystalline Sliver
- Galerider Sliver
- Harmonic Sliver
- Firewake Sliver
- Amoeboid Changeling
- Mirror Entity
- Unnatural Selection
- Blur Sliver
- Hibernation Sliver
- Synapse Sliver
- Dormant Sliver
- Horned Sliver
- Darksteel Ingot
- Kodama's Reach
Cards to consider cutting:
- Steelform Sliver
- Sliver Construct
- Reflex Sliver
- Plated Sliver
- Opaline Unicorn
- Mistform Sliver
- Groundshaker Sliver
- Diffusion Sliver
- Blazing Volley
- Stinging Shot
- Reduce / Rubble
- 6x Lands
Lands to consider adding to upgrade the manabase:
- Command Tower: best Rainbow land for a five color manabase in Commander, only $1.
- Exotic Orchard: budget Rainbow land.
- Unclaimed Territory: budget Rainbow land to cast Slivers.
- City of Brass: Raindow land, but $6.
- Path of Ancestry: ETB tapped Rainbow land, the scry if using it to cast a Sliver is very good.
- Grand Coliseum: ETB tapped Rainbow land.
- Cinder Glade, Canopy Vista, Prairie Stream, Sunken Hollow, Smoldering Marsh: Battle lands are good with Basic lands and Farseek since it can fetch one of them.
If choosing to play ETB tapped lands such as Blossoming Sands instead consider the Tri-lands: Jungle Shrine, Seaside Citadel, Savage Lands, Frontier Bivouac, Opulent Palace, etc? These lands ETB tapped, but can make one of three different colors instead of only two.
Good luck with your deck.
1 month ago
Hey, Rancor is quite a good card with the sac theme and Kresh because it can keep going back to your hand and gives trample. Slap it on a creature you control give the creature more power, then when you get Kresh into play sac that creature and put Rancor on Kresh.
Creakwood Liege can create a 3/3 creature each turn as sac fodder as well as pump just about all other creatures in the deck including +2/+2 to Kresh. Evoke creatures: Shriekmaw and Spitebellows are good with Kresh's ability because they can sac themselves with evoke while also being removal. Sidisi, Undead Vizier is very good, can sac itself or another creature to tutor.
Other cards to consider:
- Eternal Witness: excellent recursion, a staple green card in Commander.
- Razaketh, the Foulblooded: powerful reanimation target and one of the better no mana cost sac outlet abilities on a creature.
- Disciple of Bolas: sac another creature to draw cards and gain life.
- Talisman of Indulgence and Talisman of Impulse: take advantage of Jund colors with two Talismans.
Budget lands to consider to upgrade the manabase:
- Command Tower: best land in Commander and only $1.
- High Market: no mana cost sac outlet on a land.
- Llanowar Wastes
- Karplusan Forest
- Graven Cairns
- Tainted Wood
- Tainted Peak
- Smoldering Marsh
- Cinder Glade
Good luck with your deck.