|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Magic 2013 (M13)||Mythic Rare|
|2012 Core Set (M12)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Garruk, Primal Hunter
Planeswalker — Garruk
+1: Put a 3/3 green Beast creature token onto the battlefield.
-3: Draw cards equal to the greatest power among creatures you control.
-6: Put a 6/6 green Wurm creature token onto the battlefield for each land you control.
Garruk, Primal Hunter Discussion
5 days ago
Lol thanks! Feel free to copy the deck and spread the squirrel gospel across the land. Especially considering how budget this deck is, I'm consistently shocked at how well it plays.
I definitely don't have need of Reliquary Tower that often. A few of my card draw effects, however, like Garruk, Primal Hunter or Shamanic Revelation are prone to draw me half my deck if used at the right time. The tower ensures that I can convert that card advantage into a win. Since this deck is mono-green, I see no problem with replacing one of my ~30 forests for that added security.
6 days ago
hkhssweiss Thanks for the suggestion! I'd love to make space for Momentous Fall by removing Garruk, Primal Hunter , but the latter has a lot of value in case of board wipe. What would replace the Lignify and Natural Order for?
1 week ago
For removals, other than what I mentioned in my first comment, I'd suggest taking out:
- Essence Warden - you aren't a lifegain deck and have no other support for it
- Genesis Hydra - maybe it's just me, but I'm not a fan of this card, especially compared to Genesis Wave, which you have
- Sphinx Ambassador - it just seems like it doesn't match the rest of the theme of the deck
- Mind Over Matter - you don't currently have enough draw power to support this
- Journey of Discovery - replace this with some other ramp spell/ramp artifact that can get non-basics for less than six mana
- Quicksilver Amulet - this is a worse Planar Bridge, isn't it?
- Nissa, Steward of Elements - her +2 is meh. Her +0 is also meh since you have so many non-land, non-creature cards in the deck. And her -6 is also meh. I'd much prefer something like Nissa, Vastwood Seer Flip as her +1 gives a similar effect but her other abilities are more useful. Vivien Reid would (though expensive) be fantastic as would Garruk, Primal Hunter or Garruk, Caller of Beasts .
- Tamiyo, the Moon Sage - you aren't trying to play staxy
1 week ago
2 weeks ago
Hey, looks good, but consider more ramp? Is this a budget deck? The total deck cost and the manabase tell me that it is, but the maybeboard and a few cards in the main looks like it isn't. Do you have the cards that are in the maybeboard?
Budget cards ($6 or less) to consider adding:
- Fortified Village
- Sungrass Prairie
- Temple Garden
- Armada Wurm : big creature who also makes a big creature token with evasion, value from both of Trostani's abilities.
- Phyrexian Processor : way to use life and a repeatable way to make big tokens. One of the best budget cards with Trostani.
- Garruk, Primal Hunter : budget Planeswalker, can be a repeatable source of a creature each turn and his -3 is excellent repeatable draw with big creatures.
- Fierce Empath : budget tutor, there's a lot of possible creatures he can tutor for.
- Avacyn's Pilgrim
- Llanowar Elves
- Elvish Mystic
- Birds of Paradise : nonbudget.
- Talisman of Unity : two drop mana rock.
- Chromatic Lantern : with 24+ basic lands it can help to fix colors of mana.
- Solemn Simulacrum
- Swords to Plowshares
The avg. CMC here is 4.5 which is very high many of these card suggestions/cuts will help to reduce this number.
Cards to consider cutting:
Anthem effects that only pump power/toughness are not doing much when the creatures are already big.
- Wilt-Leaf Liege
- Collective Blessing
- Intangible Virtue
- Tolsimir Wolfblood
- Primal Vigor: Lives and Procession are better and don't help your opponents.
- Desolation Twin: too much mana.
- Verdant Sun's Avatar: not good enough for seven mana.
- Kazandu Tuskcaller: too slow.
- Trostani's Judgment: six mana removal spell for one creature is not worth it even if there's tokens to populate.
- Emmara Tandris: this effect is not worth seven mana.
- Nomads' Assembly
- Darien, King of Kjeldor: 3/3 for six mana who might give you tokens later on is not worth it.
- Phyrexian Rebirth: Command and Reckoning are better high mana cost board wipes.
Good luck with your deck.
2 weeks ago
Hi BladeofUmbra, Garruk, Primal Hunter s only purpose is his second ability. I see him as an improved version of Soul's Majesty since he is more flexible. He could maybe be switched out for Hunter's Prowess though. Ajani, Caller of the Pride can end games if you pair him with Lost Leonin as early as turn 3 so in my opinion he deserves the spot. Ajani, Adversary of Tyrants is more suited for the "going wide" route and doesn't work that good with the Arahbo voltron style. Ajani, Mentor of Heroes however is a really neat looking card both for the boost and the card draw. I will try to fit him in. Thanks a lot for your suggestions!
2 weeks ago
I'm not sure I understand the reason Garruk, Primal Hunter is in here, his tokens don't really get any benefit from Arahbo. I think a different Ajani like Ajani, Adversary of Tyrants or Ajani, Mentor of Heroes may fit better. They can either possibly make cats or let you pull whatever cats you want from the top of your deck.
2 weeks ago
Hey, you didn't include a link to your deck or have a Rhys deck in your profile?
I think token producers who are creatures or other permanents (Planeswalkers) far outweigh instants and sorceries because permanents can be repeatable sources of token creation much like Rhys himself is. Many repeatable sources of card advantage is one of most important things to have in multiplayer Commander. Walkers survive most board wipes that are played in Commander and board wipes are a big problem for tokens. Green gives you a lot of creature tutor options making it much easier to tutor for a specific creature then an instant or sorcery.
Rhys is a token producer from the Command Zone so technically you don't need a lot of other token producers, but cards like Mycoloth and Tendershoot Dryad can be no mana cost token engines each turn. Elf ramp is good with Rhys: Priest of Titania , Elvish Archdruid , and Joraga Treespeaker and Walker token producers are good cards to ramp into: Elspeth, Knight-Errant , Garruk Wildspeaker , Gideon, Ally of Zendikar , Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury , Garruk, Primal Hunter , Elspeth, Sun's Champion , Nissa, Voice of Zendikar . Walkers are busted with Doubling Season which is a good card have with tokens.
Garruk, Primal Hunter occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0,01%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0,03%
GW (Selesnya): 0,15%
RG (Gruul): 0,11%