Land — Forest Island
(: Gain or .)
As Breeding Pool enters the battlefield, you may pay 2 life. If you don't, Breeding Pool enters the battlefield tapped.
|Have (4)||, CampbellStev , rockleemyhero , Hellsing|
|Want (16)||ButteryLLAMA , isharpu , Fleshpie , metalmagic , Jebanator , sumerian612 , tarnash , krushul , Dunnston , adam1floyd3 , abby315 , JSTN64 , Zelpoke , PangolinLaser , NoxxFlame , Guth|
Printings View all
|Ravnica Allegiance (RNA)||Rare|
|Zendikar Expeditions (EXP)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Breeding Pool occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 1.0%
All decks: 0.65%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.18%
GU (Simic): 2.21%
RUG (Temur): 4.49%
GWU (Bant): 2.03%
BUG (Sultai): 1.95%
Breeding Pool Discussion
15 hours ago
20 hours ago
Also, you might consider a more advanced land base: Breeding Pool, Misty Rainforest, etc. Fetch lands in particular can help thin out your deck a little as well and improve the probability of getting to the combo.
4 days ago
Hey, the manabase could use some improvements. You have Bayou, Tropical, Cavern and the Filter lands which are all great. Why also 18x basic lands? Consider more dual lands?
- Command Tower
- City of Brass
- Exotic Orchard
- Windswept Heath
- Bloodstained Mire
- Flooded Strand
- Overgrown Tomb
- Watery Grave
- Breeding Pool
- Llanowar Wastes
- Yavimaya Coast
- Underground River
- Woodland Cemetery
- Hinterland Harbor
- Drowned Catacomb
The least expensive Fetch lands: Windswept, Bloodstained and Strand can search for one of Bayou, Tropical, Zagoth or a Shock land: Overgrown, Watery, Pool. This color fixing from Fetch lands as well as more Rainbow lands especially Command Tower can help your deck.
1 week ago
Your average converted mana cost is low enough to go to 33 or 34 if you had mana dorks.
- Holdout Settlement and Survivors' Encampment are just Springleaf Drum on lands. These are reasonable, depending on how hard your game plans need Kalamax or not.
- Rashmi, Eternities Crafter: Rashmi is incremental advantage. You and both know that you are going to play cards on other people’s turns, so why not get free stuff for doing so? Wavebreak Hippocamp does the same thing if you want more of this effect.
- Birds of Paradise, Llanowar Elves, Elvish Mystic, Arbor Elf, Priest of Titania, Rattleclaw Mystic. I prefer creature-based ramp if I’m playing . Most of these cards will Pod into Corridor Monitor, Deceiver Exarch, and Pestermite.
- Spellseeker: Spellseeker grabs most of the instants and sorceries in your deck and more food for Prime Speaker
- Torrential Gearhulk: Snapcaster Mage #2 aka Fatcaster mage. The 5/6 body is nice for when games go longer than expected.
- Thing in the Ice
Flip: I noticed that you don’t have ways to protect yourself. If played earlier, you can flip Thing in the Ice and reset that battlefield. It was dumb in other formats, it’s dumb in EDH as well.
- Niv-Mizzet, Parun: End-game beater and a storm card. Not necessary but strong.
- Creature Tutors: Finale of Devastation, Eldritch Evolution, and Neoform. More tutors for consistency.
Instants and Sorceries
- Reality Shift and Rapid Hybridization: Good removal outside of and . Do you really care about a 3/3 beast or a 2/2 manifest token? I don’t……
- Manamorphose: Just a good cantrip in Temur.
- Swan Song: Another good counter spell, but you have that covered pretty well. Once again, no one cares about one 2/2 bird….no one…
- Reiterate: Goes infinite with Turnabout and Dramatic Reversal and or more mana. However, I think Isochron Scepter is just better if infinite mana is the goal.
- Nature's Lore: This is only and grabs any forest onto the battlefield. Most of the time, you are going to tutor for Forest, so why not grab Breeding Pool instead?
- Raging Ravine: Ok, it has your colors. Are you ever going to activate this man-land? Also, it comes in tapped. Gross….
- Arch of Orazca: I think Arch is better in decks that lack access to card draw. You’re in . Drawing cards, most of the time, is not going to be a problem for you.
- Frilled Mystic and Mystic Snake: I’ve fallen for this trap too. I don’t want to pay for a counterspell on a weak 2/2 body. Compare these two cards to other mana spells like Cryptic Command. This cards counters, protects, and draws cards. I prefer utility creatures with more flexibility.
3 weeks ago
Glad you liked the suggestions! I guess you don‘t play Breeding Pool to keep this Deck low-Budget?
3 weeks ago
Thanks for the input and I appreciate the response. I decided to go ahead and add a fourth Breeding Pool, bringing the deck to 61 cards and making the mana balance pretty much perfect.
Board wipes seem unlikely with this deck, (and I have ways of rescuing him if need be) but I went ahead and added in a second finisher (the suggested Frost Titan for now) because, honestly, I enjoy having a 'toolkit' of creatures in my sideboard that Primal Command can tutor for. ScOoze can just join his buddies in the sideboard.
I think that Mystic Sanctuary is a very intriguing option - and one I hadn't considered - but if I were to add one to the deck it would be in place of one of the islands, leaving only nine in the deck and worrying if the timing of the draw would leave me with nothing more than a tapped mana source. Definitely considering it though, especially considering all the 'bounce' I have already in the deck. Very cool suggestion.
I originally had Annex in the deck but, you guessed it, I replaced with with Bramblecrush to give me a little more flexibility against artifacts, enchantments and especially planeswalkers - without any creatures to really go after them, I needed some options.
3 weeks ago
Thank you very much for the response. I'm thinking about your land suggestions - in playtest it often seems like my biggest danger is running into a draw streak of several mana sources straight during the mid-game (the deck is already 50% mana, not counting things like Mwonvuli Acid-Moss), so I'm hesitant to add too much more to it. I'm going to try it out just adding that fourth Breeding Pool and taking the deck to 61 cards.
I think Garruk Wildspeaker is an excellent suggestion and it may well be a solid swap for the Cryptic Command, but the double whammy they offer has just been so effective - moreover the last thing I usually need in the mid-game is the option of still more mana, so I'm on the fence. I assume that you would not endorse swapping Jace out for him, would you?
3 weeks ago
I think you have a strong base here but the mana requirements seem hard to me. You start with green into double blue and then back into double green. I would recommend adding the 4th Breeding Pool and probably a couple more lands to boot. The Hinterland Harbor's in your maybeboard seem like a solid choice. Quite possibly the last thing you want to happen is to stall on lands while trying to stunt your opponents mana.
What I think could be a good addition to your deck is Garruk Wildspeaker. Casting as a 4 drop you could have him and bounce a land in the same turn.