|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Ravnica Allegiance (RNA)||Rare|
|Zendikar Expeditions (EXP)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Land — Forest Island
(: Gain or .)
As Breeding Pool enters the battlefield, you may pay 2 life. If you don't, Breeding Pool enters the battlefield tapped.
|Have (6)||, mwu8689 , miracle , jecder , rockleemyhero , Taki117|
|Want (16)||squidvision , nomadstan , litchio , Andromeda115 , raskiller , AgentHellboy , SC25 , Trendy67 , Runningmonkeys , nastiez , FlavorPolice , TChamel , zach353 , Regulus1010 , Mortiferus_Rosa , brokendwarf|
Breeding Pool Discussion
1 day ago
Hey, $200 is still budget :) Some Commander decks are thousands of dollars.
For the manabase I think there's too many Islands. You want a lot more green than blue because green cards (land ramp spells) are more important to be able to cast in the early game and they can search for a blue source. Tatyova and the landfall strategy requires a lot of lands; don't be bashful in the amount you play, more the better in my opinion. To be useful cards like Burgeoning, Cobra, the Scouts, Gardener, Ranger and Atlas need a lot of lands. Khalni Garden is not worth what it does because it ETB tapped. Consider cutting it for another Forest?
You have a Breeding Pool which is great, consider Nature's Lore ? This two drop land ramp spell lets you search for and put Pool onto the battlefield. Kodama's Reach is another Cultivate. Consider Sylvan Scrying and Crop Rotation ? These cards aren't land ramp, instead they can tutor for Reliquary Tower or a Fetch land and these are pretty important lands to have on the battlefield with Tatyova.
There's no creature tutors here and that could a problem if you get overwhelmed with land support cards and not something bigger to take advantage. Consider Fierce Empath and Fauna Shaman ? Empath can tutor for a big finisher landfall creature such as Avenger or Rampaging. Fauna can be a repeatable creature tutor by discarding a dork to then tutor for any other creature. She can tutor for a big creature or a support creature like Excavator, Witness, etc. Helpful to have when you can't play a lot of expensive price creature tutors.
Budget cards ($4 or less each) to consider adding:
- Nature's Lore
- Kodama's Reach
- Crop Rotation
- Fierce Empath
- Fauna Shaman
- Nissa, Vital Force : her ultimate can happen fast and it's a source of draw playing lands that your opponents can't stop (emblem).
- World Breaker : supercharged Acidic Slime who you can recur.
- Scavenging Ooze : repeatable graveyard hate is very helpful in multiplayer Commander.
- Mana Breach : good with Tatyova/landfall, disrupts your opponents much more than you.
- Arcane Denial : sometimes you need a two drop counterspell and Denial is only one blue mana hard counter.
- Mystic Remora : one of the best sources of repeatable no mana cost draw in multiplayer Commander. It can help to fill your hand with lands to play and all the lands helps to keep it on the battlefield longer.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Animist's Awakening: already playing Genesis Wave and Wave is a much better card.
- Broken Bond
- Khalni Heart Expedition: a fine card, but a one shot effect, there's better repeatable options.
- Tishana, Voice of Thunder: this kind of draw is fine, but you don't really need it.
- Undergrowth Champion
- Skyshroud Ranger: can only use her ability at sorcery speed, makes her the least good creature with this effect.
- Rites of Flourishing: helps your opponents too much especially control players.
- Urban Evolution
- Zendikar's Roil
- Nissa, Steward of Elements: her -6 is powerful, but I think overall Vital Force gives you more.
Good luck with your deck.
1 day ago
Thanks for the review WizardOfTheNorthernCoast! Looks good! I got some tips from the discussion on your deckpage. Unexpected Results is definitely on-theme but it could stop the Surge wincon. Seems like you put in more passive draw compared to my ETB/on-cast draw. I guess I could try that for another time. Would you ever get more than 7 cards and have to discard though?
I put the Conjurer's Closet and Minion Reflector because I have alot of ETB effects, so these help me to 'recycle' them. I think its fine to cast them on the mainphase or flash them in with Orrery/ Leyline/ Alchemist Refuge. The Reflector requires me to pay each time so i'll be cutting it out.
I'll be cutting Beast Whisperer first since GP works with the conjurer's closet. The Whisperer can be copied to give me insane draw though, so I need to test it out. And I almost forgot, the commander herself is a draw engine.
Primal Surge says 'may' so that incident with the Leviathan stopping the wincon wouldnt happen!
I actually opt to remove Mwonvuli Beast Tracker because it has only 5 targets now/
the Diluvian Primordial could work many things. Maybe I cast a wheel, or flash the Primordial in response to use an opponent's Counterspell. hahah
5 days ago
How are you playing Breeding Pool in Breya? Green isn't in Breya's color identity.
5 days ago
Hey, very good first Commander deck :)
Because of all the great Fetch lands you have consider a Breeding Pool ? Flooded Grove is another good ETB untapped Simic dual land. Hinterland Harbor works well with lot of basic Forests and Islands. Can cut Simic Guildgate, Thornwood Falls and Woodland Stream for these three better dual lands.
Other card upgrades to consider:
- Sakura-Tribe Elder > Civic Wayfinder
- Birds of Paradise > Whisperer of the Wilds
- Llanowar Elves > Heart Warden
- Scavenging Ooze > Crook of Condemnation
- Harrow > Peregrination
- Tempt with Discovery > Explosive Vegetation
- Crop Rotation > Rampant Growth
- Cultivate > Nissa's Pilgrimage
- Nissa, Vital Force > Garruk's Packleader
- Fierce Empath > Werebear
- Green Sun's Zenith > Animist's Awakening
- Sakura-Tribe Scout > Skyshroud Ranger
- Mystic Remora > Crush of Tentacles
- Horn of Greed > Zendikar's Roil
- World Shaper > Yavimaya Elder
- Eternal Witness > Sylvan Awakening
- Walk the Aeons > Part the Waterveil
- Genesis Wave > Zendikar Resurgent
More expensive cards to consider:
If you would like I offer more help. Good luck with your deck.
1 week ago
Thanks for the suggestion and +1, Chandra585!! Maybe I'll get a lucky booster and pull a Breeding Pool . If I had the $$, I'd definitely buy a full set for this deck. I wouldn't be concerned with the 2 life at all - with Chalice of Life Flip as a wincon, it's very feasible to regain that life. Additionally, as there are no one drops to play T1, it could enter tapped without any slow down. Of course, if I had a full set of Breeding Pool , I might consider adding some Utopia Sprawl . I'd probably have to completely retool the deck to make the Sprawl consistent enough to run a full set. The deck would obviously benefit from those changes. My pocket however, would not, lol. At some point, I did try to mock up a non-budget version, as I mentioned above. (Kiora's Mangroves) but that was quite a while ago, so I'd probably want to make changes to that if I were to seriously return to that fantasy.
1 week ago
Hey thanks for commenting! I agree the decks response to Blood Moon is inconsistent. If you check out the counter-play section I have a little bit on it. Right now I have Chill and All Is Dust in my sideboard as responses too it. I've been thinking about Engineered Explosives but only run two colors. Due to the lack of basic lands as you pointed out have stayed away from Krosan Grip , but may have to reassess it. Daze actually could work with the Breeding Pool but only if they are tapped out. The reason I went with All Is Dust is because I found the likelihood of me getting those singular basic lands was little to none in games where I hadn't already dropped a huge amount of lands into play and I found All Is Dust to have more potential sideboard uses against other things, and could be played after Blood Moon enters play because of the colorless cost.
Ancient Tomb , making that change now. I originally didn't have it in there because I was using them all in EDH decks but now that the deck has evolved to be more competitive I can't believe that didn't occur to me to change.
I'm curious about Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth , can you explain it? What exactly is the value of it? I have seen other people running it in deck list but I think I'm missing something obvious, just haven't seen it in action in a lands deck.
Life from the Loam I'm gonna pass on. Just because I am already pulling lands so quickly with Manabond + Treasure Hunt and one of the biggest Achilles heels I've seen with the mainstream Lands deck that relies on Dredge is it gets toasted by sideboards that have Leyline of the Void , Surgical Extraction , or Rest in Peace on hand.
1 week ago
Have you considered tutors such as Worldly Tutor and Mystical Tutor , which might help the consistency of your deck? Nimbus Swimmer , Prime Speaker Zegana , Spearbreaker Behemoth , Murkfiend Liege and Beast Whisperer might also be good for this deck. Also, you might want a better manabase with Breeding Pool , Misty Rainforest (if you have the budget for it), and Hinterland Harbor .
2 weeks ago
Hello, your deck looks quite good but I'd make a little changes here and there:
- First of all, you probably don't need these 6 CMC cards as they come really late and don't impact the board that much. It would make room for Beast Whisperer and Orator of Ojutai that you have in maybeboard
- Also Tempt with Discovery ? 4 CMC is where your curve actually ends so you don't need that much ramp, especially when your 2 CMC ramp package is alright. If you can afford Breeding Pool and Canopy Vista you can easily set yourself up with Nature's Lore .
- For another 2 CMC ramp swap - Gatecreeper Vine is not that great, you're waaay better off with Sylvan Caryatid , you won't belive how many times it's hexproof screwed my opponents tring to remove it.
- Another little swap - Tower Defense is way cheaper than Solidarity . But if you want to swap it or use both its up to you. Maybe I'd cut Slagwurm Armor for another copy of this effect because artifact is easy to remove compared to instant speed combat trick.
- For further lowering curve I'd add some utility walls: Resolute Watchdog is amazing for protecting commander and Portcullis Vine alongside Wall of Mulch make great card draw engine (use them with Wall of Kelp tokens or defenders that are about to die and... thank me later xD)
- As you lower the curve maybe you won't need signets. Also I see you lack some interaction in form of counterspells but I guess your playgroup isn't that removal heavy.
That's it from me, hope this helps. Let me know what you think about these changes and take care
Breeding Pool occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 1.0%
All decks: 0.65%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.18%
G/U (Simic): 2.21%
RUG (Temur): 4.49%
GWU (Bant): 2.03%
BUG (Sultai): 1.95%