|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Zendikar Expeditions||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
: Add to your mana pool.
, : Add , , or to your mana pool.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Rugged Prairie Discussion
3 days ago
I feel like 1 Plains should come out and a Rugged Prairie Should be in here. As many double WW and a Couple RR and 1 RRR that could help on a few instances of keeping your mana open
2 weeks ago
Here are my suggestions and some recommended removals to tighten the deck. Molten Primordial, Lifeline, Assault Suit, Recruiter of the Guard, Solemn Simulacrum, Burnished Hart, Infiltration Lens, 2x Plains (36 lands should be your minimum despite your mana rocks in order to consistently get to 4 lands by turn 4), Rage Nimbus, Master Warcraft, Nim Deathmantle, Thornbite Staff, Umbral Mantle, Helm of Possession, Anarchist, Illusionist's Bracers, Caged Sun, Gilded Lotus, Rugged Prairie, Iroas, God of Victory, Obsidian Battle-Axe, Mob Rule, Savage Beating, Adarkar Valkyrie, Karmic Guide
Suggestions to remove:
- Felidar Sovereign is a boring and abusive way to win giving the starting life total and doesn't contribute much else to the deck
- Silverblade Paladin because double strike just isn't that important to this deck
- Armillary Sphere
- Sunforger because you need a greater critical mass of instants to make it really valuable and you can remove it and some of the other cards to make room for more consistent playable cards
- Fatal Frenzy
- Onward / Victory
- Rush of Blood
- Temur Battle Rage
- Unwilling Recruit
- Insult / Injury
- Kari Zev's Expertise
- Hazoret's Favor
- Spirit Loop
- Open the Armory
- Staff of Nin
Clean up repetitious cards in sideboard and maybeboard that are in the deck. Best of luck, hope some of that is helpful.
1 month ago
More green for ramp and fixing. Ditch the deserts for basics or Lorwyn block filter lands (I.e. Rugged Prairie).
1 month ago
I know space and budgets are tight, but here are some other cards for your maybe list:
Boros Reckoner, Silverblade Paladin, Thalia's Lancers, Mother of Runes, Wrath of God, Day of Judgment, Lightning Greaves, Sword of the Animist, Mind Stone, Fire Diamond, Marble Diamond, Hedron Archive, Godsend, Gilded Lotus, Thran Dynamo, Chained to the Rocks, Oblivion Ring, Sacred Foundry, Clifftop Retreat, Inspiring Vantage, Rugged Prairie, Arid Mesa, Needle Spires, Secluded Steppe, Forgotten Cave, Drifting Meadow, Smoldering Crater
2 months ago
i would personly say
4x Arid Mesa
other cards in general you will want to look at (for mb or sb) Kitchen Finks, Eidolon of the Great Revel, Goblin Guide, Rift Bolt, Searing Blaze (idk why harry doesnt use that one), Valorous Stance, Balefire Liege, Brimaz, King of Oreskos, Ajani Vengeant and Fulminator Mage
2 months ago
DanteBeleren Thanks for the great tips!
I was thinking along those lines that compared to other decks I had seen I was a bit creature heavy. Conveniently my latest order came in yesterday just in time for some FNM. I was able to upgrade the mana base significantly.
Last night was the first time I got to pilot the deck, so I didn't have much experience with the creature interaction and determining who to cut. Ultimately I went with removing:Rakdos, Lord of Riots, Basandra, Battle Seraph, Reaper from the Abyss, and Victory's Herald.
The biggest issue I faced last night was a counter heavy/destruction meta. This is what I will have to focus on moving forward.
Question for you though, does Amulet of Vigor negate the coming into the battlefield attacking abilities from cards coming in with Kaalia?
3 months ago
Nice deck, +1. You might want to take a look at my my build of the Kaalia deck for some inspiration. Here are just a few things that I noticed (and they assume a large budget, which obviously may not be the case; use your discretion):
(1) If you want Land Destruction, the obvious additions are--in addition to the things you mentioned-- Ajani Vengeant (which can also tap down/ burn a blocker so Kaalia can get through) and Ravages of War, which is Armageddon except ex$pen$ive. (I don't run it)
(2) Your creature suite: I could see some streamlining. The Akromas are somewhat controversial among Kaalia players. A lot of players think (and I agree) at the end of the day they're just dudes. Big dudes, but just dudes. They don't have anything going on besides large bodies; you can do better. Balefire Dragon would be a good start. It can singlehandedly wipe your opponents' boards. Steel Hellkite can do that too, esp. against tokens. Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon can steal wins, especially when equipped with a sword (more on that in a minute). I personally have some additional utility creatures in my deck like Grand Abolisher and Mother of Runes, as well as some cheaper creatures that can be easily cast if Kaalia gets removed so you're at least doing SOMETHING--Baneslayer Angel, Archfiend of Depravity, Stormbreath Dragon, etc. Some people run the former, but most everyone runs a few of the latter.
(3) Equipment: Would strongly recommend adding Stoneforge Mystic and acquiring Sword of Feast and Famine (combo with Hellkite Charger and Aggravated Assault--which you should also consider adding) and Sword of Light and Shadow (recursion, combo.) The Mystic can also fetch up something as simple as Lightning Greaves or Swiftfoot Boots.
(4) Sweepers: Descend Upon the Sinful is cool and on theme, but basically overpriced by 2 mana relative to the effect that you're really using it for--the sweeper effect. This could simply become the much more efficient Day of Judgment (or Toxic Deluge) and you wouldn't notice the missing angle token. I'm not sure you want to be exiling your creature anyway; ideally you'd be peeling fatties out of the graveyard with something like Phyrexian Reclamation (or Volrath's Stronghold, if you can fit it into your budget.) Merciless Eviction can stay because it's very flexible; I don't personally run it, though again I've considered it.
(5) Mana Base: The Karoo lands (i.e. Orzhov Basilica) are cute, but the Shadowmoor/ Eventide filter lands (i.e. Rugged Prairie) are simply better. If you want an essentially no-strings "Sol" land, try Ancient Tomb. I'd also see about throwing in some more fetches; the KTK fetches can still be had relatively cheap. Also, Darksteel Ingot doesn't fit the game plan all that well--ideally you want 4 mana on turn 3, which the Ingot doesn't accomplish. Mind Stone or Talisman of Indulgence are your next best bets. Also look at Expedition Map because it can both fix your mana and tutor for a utility land like Hall of the Bandit Lord.
(6) The rest of the following recommendations are upgrades/things that would supplement what you're already doing and make the deck better overall. Dark Petition has a cool effect, but it still costs 5 mana. Pick up a Vampiric Tutor if you can. Break Through the Ranks could be Sneak Attack. Etc.
Feel free to inquire if you have any more questions.
4 months ago
Let me start by saying that I think you have a great theme and you've done a great job of sticking to your theme elements.After going over your list, here's the recommendations that I think might help you.
Cards to take out (to get down to 100):
Golem Foundry is just a weak card. It is kinda nice getting a golem token for casting 3 artifacts, but I've never been happy playing that card. It always ends up feeling like a waste of board space.
Metalwork Colossus is really nice, but with all of the vehicles and other creatures, it seems kinda mana intensive and you're not really working on a sacrificing artifact theme.
Blinkmoth Urn is symetrical, meaning it helps you opponents as much as it helps you. Yes, you may have more artifacts than them, but do you really want to give your opponents free mana? And they get that free mana before you do.
Darksteel Juggernaut is a great card in a draft, or in another deck where you're primarily focused on attacking each turn. But the requirement of attacking each turn makes this card feel like it doesn't fit.
Sram's Expertise is cute, and I understand why it is in the deck but a few 1/1 tokens seems kinda weak for this deck.
Chief of the Foundry helps out the vehicles, but not the dwarves.
Those initial cuts gets you down to the 100 cards for Commander. Now to make the deck a bit stonger.
These changes might help make your deck more resilient againt various opponents. Obviously, you'll need to temper these recommendations with your collection, budget, and local metagame.
I'll start with lands. Nine (9) out, Nine (9) in.
Spinerock Knoll, Better in a combo deck.
Shinka, the Bloodsoaked Keep, Not enough legends
Wind-Scarred Crag, Boros Guildgate, and Stone Quarry come into play tapped. You have too many lands that come into play tapped and it slows you down.
Drifting Meadow, Forgotten Cave, Secluded Steppe, Smoldering Crater, the cycle lands are nice in a deck with lots of graveyard recursion or when you're focused on cycling cards. But you're deck isn't set up for those things and these are just more lands that enter the battlefield tapped and slow you down.
Kabira Crossroads for it. The 2 life usually isn't enough in Commander games to make a big different.
Sejiri Steppe is something to consider. And the Boros Garrison makes it better.
Move the Rugged Prairie and Sacred Foundry to the mainboard from your maybe board.
Don't ignore the plain old basic lands. Even if you just use a couple of each. You never know when an opponet will play a "Every seach for a basic land" card and you're left out of the party.
I would also consider Holdout Settlement and Springleaf Drum to help take advantage of Depala, Pilot Exemplar's ability to load your hand with creatures and vehicles. Remember that you can tap a creature with summoning sickness to activate the Settlement or the Drum since you aren't activating the creature's ability.
Lightning Greaves is a tough card to consider. Yes, it is a great card. But does it really help that much? You aren't themed around equipment. I would drop in in favor of something that helps more often.
One-shot effects like Built to Last and Built to Smash are not really good in a multiplayer game.
I hope these suggestions help give you some ideas. Let me know what you think. Feel free to look over my decks and let me know what you think of the suggestions.