Talisman of Impulse
: Add to your mana pool.
Tap: Add or to your mana pool. Talisman of Impulse deals 1 damage to you.
|Want (2)||Rabu , spaceyjdjames|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Talisman of Impulse occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%
Talisman of Impulse Discussion
1 day ago
Dolphin_Jesus - Love the name
I play Xenagos but not with an MLD package. You have a low land count and a relatively high AVG cmc. If you're going to be wiping landbases and opponents wiping your creatures, you will not be left in an advantageous position. Why not add more artifact ramp such as Mana Crypt, Sol Ring, Talisman of Impulse, and The Great Henge? These will ramp you and will help you break parity.
Alternatively, you can run Collector Ouphe instead to shut down opposing artifacts as blue mages (as well as white, red and black players) will almost always be using artifacts to ramp and the small anti-synergy is worth it IMO should you choose to go that route. City of Solitude might be worth considering over or in addition to Price of Glory.
You are trying to make deals but in my meta, if you play MLD, people will target you. There's nothing wrong with MLD, but most people don't like losing their lands so I'm curious how/if you have actually been able to politic your way out of a situation, unless the combo player is gonna win. '
Survival of the Fittest/Fauna Shaman might be worth considering with all your creatures. Not to mention the synergy with Anger and Eternal Witness. A Genesis might be worth considering should you go that route.
My honest opinion is that this deck lacks enough card draw, lands and meaningful ramp to be able to compete in a semi-competitive meta (no idea what your meta is like, but this wouldn't hold up in mine). You only run 6 pieces of ramp that allow you to get Xenagos out earlier.
Rishkar's Expertise - Similar to above but with added benefit of not losing tempo
Greater Good - The most powerful card in a Xenagos deck. If you listen to anything I say, this is it.
Beast Within - Good old instant speed permanent removal
Decimate - 4 for 1, amazing value
Voracious Hydra - Beater and removal in one
Dosan the Falling Leaf - Anti blue, anti spot removal if blue is a thorn in your side
Bolt Bend - Redirect removal, counter counterspells, redirect some draw as well as some extra turns. Very useful for 1
If you would like ideas for cuts or want to discuss strategy
2 weeks ago
I have a lot of recommendations for you. These may be pricey so I apologize if they're out of your price range but here you go:
Cards To Add Show
Add Reyhan, Last of the Abzan . If you can put +1/+1 counters on your creatures, your devourer will get HUGE real fast! Gets crazy too if you eat everything with Mycoloth and all those extra +1/+1 counters go to him.
Add Triumph of the Hordes . This cards a no brainer for token swarms and huge powerful armies. Remember, it only takes 10 infect to kill someone.
Add Moldervine Reclamation . Just a simple life gain/card draw engine for your devourers.
Cards To Swap Show
Replace Thorn-Thrash Viashino with Bloodspore Thrinax . Viashino doesn't provide any positive effects for devouring. Bloodspore Thrinax on the otherhand can push a token deck into an absurd board state.
Replace Mother Bear with Jade Mage . Mother Bear is situational and requires her to be in the graveyard prior to using her. And the value isn't all that great. With Jade Mage you can use all of your mana every turn to do at least something.
Replace Emrakul's Hatcher with Tendershoot Dryad . Emrakul isn't that great for your token production. Tendershoot on the other hand can buff all of your saprolings and in a 4 player game, it'll produce 3 tokens by the time it comes back to you.
Replace Algae Gharial with Poison-Tip Archer . You won't get much value out of Gharial. Poison-Tip Archer on the other hand can be lethal if kept on the board. It's basically a stronger Mayhem Devil .
Cards to Cut Show
Mana Rocks Show
Wayfarer's Bauble , Arcane Signet , Chromatic Lantern , Commander's Sphere , Darksteel Ingot , Thran Dynamo , Worn Powerstone , Fellwar Stone , Golgari Signet , Gruul Signet , Rakdos Signet , Talisman of Impulse , Talisman of Indulgence , Talisman of Resilience , Heraldic Banner
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth , Fabled Passage , Castle Embereth , Dwarven Mine , Bojuka Bog , Grim Backwoods , Phyrexian Tower , Kessig Wolf Run , Volrath's Stronghold , Overgrown Tomb , Stomping Ground , Woodland Cemetery , Blood Crypt , Dragonskull Summit , Command Tower , Savage Lands , Rootbound Crag , Rakdos Carnarium , Gruul Turf , Golgari Rot Farm
1 month ago
Guttural Response while yes it is anti-blue, having a straight up counter of your own to answer counter magic is fantastic and blue players do not expect it from the Gruul player. Further you can force them to double down and burn off another counter spell to keep down the play you're going for.
Further this sort of deck begs for Selvala's Stampede which most people will always respond with "Free" so you just wait to cast it until you've got plenty of permanents in hand, which can allow you to build a massive board state.
1 month ago
2 months ago
The following cards are out: Contagion Clasp - Proliferate is nice, but it doesn't perform at all when it hits the field. Return to Nature - played dozens of games. Keeps sitting in my hand with nothing to do. Fairgrounds Trumpeter - its ok, but I only ever got it to play once. Gruul Spellbreaker - Sure, it's hexproof and has riot, but it's just a early mid game blocker is all. Hunter's Prowess - never played it. Escape to the Wilds - on paper it's powerful, in practice it makes me lose the game. Return of the Wildspeaker - Just doesn't do much. Nissa, Voice of Zendikar - looked great, but really is not that great. Longshot Squad - Might be situation-ally good, but I never played it really. Rishkar, Peema Renegade - It's just really not doing anything for me so it's getting put onto the maybe list.
Cards ADDED to the list Birthing Pod Mycoloth Talisman of Impulse Goblin Matron Champion of Lambholt Krenko's Command Goblin Sharpshooter Thermopod Mwonvuli Beast Tracker - THE ONLY human in this deck...lol. Dark-Dweller Oracle
2 months ago
Nice deck Hi_diddly_ho_neighbor. The name gave me a laugh.
Consider a few other tutors to get the persist creatures and a sac outlet into your hand or onto the battlefield?
- Gamble : I think this is a must add because it can tutor for an enchantment or artifact sac outlet.
- Fauna Shaman : repeatable creature tutor.
- Eldritch Evolution or Birthing Pod : nice to sac a three or four drop to get a five drop since many of the persist creatures are five drops.
Consider cutting Longshot Squad , Kodama's Reach and Warstorm Surge for these tutors? Warstorm is six drop redundancy that I don't think you need. Stalking Vengeance could be cut instead of Warstorm, but it's a creature who's easier to tutor for than Warstorm.
Other cards to consider adding:
- Thermopod : as bad as it is, it's a sac outlet that's a creature which is much easier to tutor for.
- Krenko, Tin Street Kingpin : he can get out of hand fast with Grumgully since the first time he attacks he makes three 2/2 Goblins, next time four 2/2 Goblins. Good sac fodder.
- Incubation Druid : upgrade for Fertilid tapping for three mana even the turn you play it with haste enablers.
- Farseek or Talisman of Impulse : upgrade for Rampant Growth because you have Stomping, Sheltered and Glade.
2 months ago
Hey, there's several cards that are $3 or less each that would be good here.
- Command Tower
- Ash Barrens
- Evolution Sage : repeatable proliferate is good with +1/+1 counters.
- Forgotten Ancient : repeatable source of counters, triggers when you and your opponents cast spells.
- Champion of Lambholt : make your creatures unblockable.
- Mycoloth : sac and repeatable source of tokens. It's scalable, the more counters that are put on this the more tokens you create.
- Fierce Empath : tutor for Primus.
- Gruul Signet : two drop mana rock.
- Talisman of Impulse : two drop mana rock.
- Farseek : two drop land ramp that can search for a dual land (Stomping or Glade).
- Evolutionary Leap : sac outlet.
- Vivien, Champion of the Wilds : give flash to all your creatures.
- Regrowth : recur any one card.
Could add all these for $15.
Cards to consider cutting:
- 4x Mountain
- Prismatic Lens
- Hunt the Hunter
- Orcish Oriflamme
- Fairgrounds Trumpeter
- Opportunistic Dragon
- Battlefront Krushok
- Archetype of Aggression
- Archetype of Endurance
2 months ago
Hey, nice budget upgrade of the precon. Good work in progress :)
Birds and Smothering are very good choices for expensive price upgrades. Helm is fine too because you added Aurelia and Godo to give you a combo win. Omnath at $7 is kind of out of place because not playing many ways to take advantage of sacing Elementals. Rampaging does the same thing as Omnath for less than $1 and it has trample. Armada Wurm and/or End-Raze Forerunners each less than a $1 could replace Omnath and have more impact. Hornet Queen at $2 creates some nasty tokens.
Interesting choice for the other expensive price cards: Iroas, Panharmonicon and Splinter. There's nothing wrong with these cards, but I don't think they're upgrades that a budget version of the precon needs. The $20 from these three cards could be better used for land upgrades. $20 can get you the three Check lands, one Shock land as well as some other lands and these will help your deck much more.
In my opinion the upgrades that the precon needs the most are lands, tutors and ramp. I see that you're playing pretty much the stock manabase from the precon, but there's many good lands in the maybeboard. Are you in the process of getting the lands in the maybeboard? If so my advice is make them priority for upgrades.
Some budget cards to consider adding:
- Battlefield Forge : colorless/colored mana source.
- Scattered Groves : dual land that can make white mana that Farseek can tutor for. Can be temporary until you get Temple Garden and/or Canopy Vista .
- Naya Panorama : colorless/colored mana source.
- Opal Palace : colorless/colored mana source.
- Game Trail
- Fortified Village
- Sheltered Thicket
- Eladamri's Call : one of the best creature tutors in Commander.
- Fierce Empath : creature tutor to blink.
- Open the Armory : tutor for Greaves or Helm. Having another way to tutor for Helm helps consistency of assembling the combo.
- Congregation at Dawn
- Sylvan Scrying : tutor for a colorless land source or Command Tower , etc.
- Orcish Lumberjack : can tap the Forest to make mana before you sac it meaning Lumberjack combined can make four mana which is very good for a one drop. Lumberjack and a white source can get Ghired onto the battlefield fast.
- Avacyn's Pilgrim
- Talisman of Impulse : colorless/colored mana source.
- Talisman of Unity : colorless/colored mana source.
- Talisman of Conviction : colorless/colored mana source.
- Eldrazi Displacer : with colorless mana sources blink for Ghired and other creatures. Can protect Ghired, after he attacks, triggers, blink him out of combat.
- Mirror Entity : busted with Atla Palani, Nest Tender since it can turn all your creatures into Eggs. Can activate it's ability for no mana making all your creatures 0/0s. They all die, each one cheating a creature from your library onto the battlefield. Entity is also a good card with tokens because until end of turn it can pump all your creatures/tokens to huge amounts depending on how much mana you can make.
- Ogre Battledriver : repeatable pump and haste when creating tokens. Can be a win condition with Entity and Alta giving all the creatures/tokens you cheat onto the battlefield haste. Casting Ghired after getting Battledriver onto the battlefield can give an opponent a beating with haste; doing a combined 16 damage with Ghired and two 4/4 Rhinos.
- Armada Wurm : creates a token with trample, good with blink. 10 power of trample for 6 mana.
- Hornet Queen : creates nasty flying tokens, good with blink.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Rugged Highlands
- Blossoming Sands
- Graypelt Refuge
- Kazandu Refuge
- Myriad Landscape
- Sungrass Prairie
- Emmara Tandris
- Doomed Artisan
- Full Flowering
- Ghired's Belligerence
- Slice in Twain
- Aura Mutation
- Growing Ranks
- Flameshadow Conjuring
- Omnath, Locus of Rage
- Splinter Twin
- Iroas, God of Victory
If you like some of these suggestions I offer more advice about these potential additions and the cards I'm suggesting to cut. Good luck with your deck.