Creature — Beast
Whenever another creature with power 3 or greater enters the battlefield under your control, you may draw a card.
|Want (2)||Archlibrarian , Rahmodonis|
Printings View all
|Commander 2019 (C19)||Uncommon|
|Magic 2015 (M15)||Uncommon|
|Magic 2013 (M13)||Uncommon|
|2011 Core Set (M11)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Garruk's Packleader occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.02%
Garruk's Packleader Discussion
2 weeks ago
Easy recommendations, Boundless Realms, and Nylea's Intervention. Then for some draw, getting rid of a few of the weaker bois, Life's Legacy and Momentous Fall. Then without killing the bois there's Return of the Wildspeaker and Garruk's Packleader.
3 weeks ago
I recommend Primal Forcemage, Gruul Ragebeast, Guardian Project, Garruk's Packleader and Briarhorn (easy to replace Giant Growth). Also, of course, you could easily take out the other nonpermanent cards and add an amazing Primal Surge.
3 weeks ago
Dam have me rethinking a lot now, only reason I have Shaman of the Great Hunt is the counters are nice making ghired bigger but mainly was the draw. Maybe swap him for Garruk's Packleader? To keep the deck with draw power.Thundermaw Hellkite Xenagos, God of Revels could be good
2 months ago
For your consideration:
Card Draw / Tutor:
IMO, with no tutors or card draw like Harmonize you need to dig deep to find answers on the board. These should help you find the card you need.
Since the mana isn't restricted to just casting creatures use that mana to help make your board big. Monstrous and firebreathing effects are another area to investigate. Steel Hellkite even helps clear the board of what ails you.
End the game with these.
Gruul Ragebeast allows you to remove trouble creatures, see also Thorn Mammoth and Apex Altisaur. Primal Surge isn't a creature but basically says place your deck on the field. Ruric Thar will never punish you and allows aerial blocking.
4 months ago
Looks great! You might consider these: Mimic Vat (if you populate the token from Vat, the populated token stays indefinitely!), Feldon of the Third Path, Hate Mirage, Twinflame, Grumgully, the Generous, Keeper of Fables, Mouth / Feed, Garruk's Packleader, Elemental Bond, Second Harvest, Herald of the Host, Adorned Pouncer, Angel of Sanctions, Anointer Priest, Seance,
4 months ago
I like to run no less then 10 draw effects. Yours are nice because a lot of them can be repeated but I'd still get that number up a bit. Consider finding a spot for Keeper of Fables , Soul of the Harvest , Vizier of the Menagerie , Garruk's Packleader , Ohran Frostfang , Lurking Predators , and Etali, Primal Storm . Those are listed in no particular order just get the ones you can. Etali is likely the strongest of them.
As you play you'll find times when Nikya isn't in play. I know she really doens't like non-creatures but over time a few say no more than 10 wouldn't be a bad idea. Especially ones like Cultivate and Kodama's Reach . Those can easily be cast before your commander and grab lands which your commander really likes.
Any adventure cards would be worth thinking about.
4 months ago
Looks good so far! You might like these: Feldon of the Third Path , Bramble Sovereign , Felhide Spiritbinder , Splinter Twin , Seance , Flameshadow Conjuring , Minion Reflector , Twinflame , Heat Shimmer , Parallel Evolution , Adorned Pouncer , Angel of Sanctions , Galepowder Mage , Lightning Runner , Combat Celebrant , Garruk's Packleader
4 months ago
This is not bad at all. I have a couple of suggestions off the top of my mind though...
First off, I highly recommend using custom tags to sort your cards. To do this, go into the "edit" mode where you can see your card list. It will look something like:
You can then add tags by using #Category after a card. For example:
1xArbor Elf #Ramp
This will assign Arbor Elf to the "Ramp" category. Unsorted cards are assigned to "Other" by default.
I recommend these categories;
- Ramp (Aim for 12-16 of these. A card that costs more than 4 mana is too slow to be reliably called Ramp)
- Draw (At least 12)
- Removal (Around 8, make sure you can deal with other commanders/creatures!!!)
- Sweepers (Boardwipes, Green doesn't really have many it's okay)
- Support (Stuff that isn't obviously powerful but makes certain cards in the deck busted. Examples are your equipment)
- Lands (Obviously. Aim for 34-37. This deck wants 34-36)
The remaining cards can be categorized based on the specific inner-workings of your deck. For example, this deck might have a "Big Bois" category for creatures that are just huge.
Depending on your sorting preferences, it can by okay to tag one creature with multiple tags. For example;
1x Thorn Mammoth #Removal #Big_Boi
Onto my Card Suggestions:
- Soul of the Harvest is nice for card draw and comes with a big smashy body + Trample.
- Arbor Elf and Elvish Mystic are fantastic replacements for Leaf Gilder and Druid of the Cowl , assuming you want to go for efficiency.
- Beast Within and Acidic Slime are super helpful for dealing with nonsense of all kinds.
- If you are willing to pay $1.50 a pop for them, Cultivate and Kodama's Reach are good additions and could replace Explosive Vegetation and Circuitous Route in a pinch. -Other really nice Ramp includes Rampant Growth , Wild Growth , Fertile Ground and Utopia Sprawl . Ramp is life. - Fierce Empath is cheap and very effective at finding your creature answers. I run it in any deck that likes to use specifically powerful creatures, AKA green ones, lol.
- These ones are a tiny bit janky and unreliable, but Ezuri's Predation , Whirlwind and Monstrous Onslaught are green boardwipes.
- Swiftfoot Boots . Assuming you really like haste and hexproof on a 12/12 trampler, it is worth having another copy of Lightning Greaves by a different name. Also, this card is hilarious: Fleetfeather Sandals
- Apex Altisaur can cause some havoc. Often, getting rid of your opponents' engine pieces is the difference between life and death.
- Surrak, the Hunt Caller is an overlooked Green Haste Boi who could do work in this deck.
- Silklash Spider just because I'm very used to going toe-to-toe with flying decks. Granted, that's just my meta, but Silklash still does work as a defender in the case of no fliers. Heck, you're still happy even if you don't see any fliers - you want a ground game in the first place!
- Yeva, Nature's Herald is CRAZY. She effectively also gives Ghalta haste, which is all kinds of sweet.
- Rogue's Passage . It doesn't even take up a nonland slot!!! Free VALUE!!!!
- Zendikar Resurgent because cards + mana = happiness
Onto the cards I would suggest cutting:
- Elixir of Immortality . Your deck doesn't ever want to be in a game where this utility would be useful. This card simply doesn't do much. You already have Eternal Witness and if you really want a late-game reload, try Creeping Renaissance or Seasons Past .
- Gigantosaurus is alright, but I'm not in love with a 10/10 with no abilities. I know, I know, he makes Ghalta cost only 2, but I still think there are better options. Trust me when I say a creature with some sort of utility is preferable here. Ideas include the aforementioned Soul of the Harvest , Primordial Sage or a fight creature such as Thorn Mammoth or even another removal creature like Woodfall Primus or Terastodon (sorry, I know these are all really high CMC). Generally, cards that don't have some sort of utility are just not going to save your life when things get ugly.
- New Horizons and Gift of Paradise could be replaced with faster ramp. For the sake of having creatures (for cards like Guardian Project and Beast Whisperer , not to mention Ghalta, Primal Hunger ), it would even be better to run Wood Elves , Springbloom Druid , Yavimaya Dryad , or Farhaven Elf .
- Diamond Mare just isn't relevant. Sorry, but if you are in a position where gaining a small amount of life matters, odds are any other good green card would have done more to prevent you from being in such a bad spot. Your deck wants to be the aggressor, and quite honestly your offense will be so scary that most opponents wouldn't even consider attack out of fear of provoking you and simultaneously tapping their defenders. It isn't uncommon for a Green deck to retain the highest life total for a long time without the need for lifegain.
- I think you have a few too many artifacts. Remember that your commander LOVES having creatures on the field, so finding ways to turn your artifact utility into creature utility will go far.
- Staff of Nin is very slow and could be something like Garruk's Packleader instead.
All things considered, you've got a reasonably strong lineup. In a broad sense, I would recommend finding ways to include creatures with utility, since Ghalta appreciates bodies on the board and interaction allows you to curb your opponents' shenanigans as much as possible. Additionally and as I noted, there are fairly budget-friendly ramp options for the deck that are purely faster. Remember to keep a close eye on your Ramp and Draw, as these are the lifeblood of a commander deck, midrange especially.
It is worth mentioning that I never go below 34 lands. 35, and 36 are usually safe, so if you find yourself land-starved just add like 2 Forests and that should help.
Overall, you've done a good job though. Good luck making edits and please feel free to contact me about further changes/advice. I LOVE deckbuilding and Green is one of my colors ;)