Creature — BeastWhenever another creature with power 3 or greater enters the battlefield under your control, you may draw a card.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Garruk's Packleader Discussion
6 days ago
Evolutionary Leap is something I've considered but I only run 18 actual creatures.
Elemental Bond is obvious, I already have a foil one lol. Just deciding whether I want to replace Kavu Lair (I like helping opponents a little just to make me less of a target) or Life's Legacy. I don't particularly like Garruk's Packleader simply because creatures are easier to remove.
1 week ago
Evolutionary Leap works pretty well -- running it with genesis, its pretty great
1 week ago
Good stuff, I love me some Selesnya tokens. And you have a lot of the good cards for them in here already. Kudos on putting in Cathars' Crusade, the headache of keeping track of all the counters is worth it in these sort of decks for the immense power it has. Just be sure to carry around a lot of counters/dice.
I saw your forum post, and you're absolutely right that removal is critical in EDH. What you're missing here is card draw, which is super important in a singleton format. Greater Good, Skullclamp (especially Skullclamp), Collective Unconscious, Shamanic Revelation, Regal Force and Skullmulcher all work well here. Once you have your pump spells out you could try the new Elemental Bond, an enchantment version of Garruk's Packleader. Those two are more conditional though. Also seconding Mentor of the Meek.
For things to remove I will second slovakattack. Also:
- Spidersilk Armor: It feels kind of meh. There are probably better ways you could handle fliers.
- Illusionist's Bracers: conditional; great on your commander, a dead card if you can't play him for
- Primal Vigor: a double-edged sword; say I'm playing my Trostani deck against this... I'm going to be making much larger tokens that can overwhelm all your little dudes and you'd be enabling that.
- Call of the Herd: Two 3/3 elephants is kind of... meh.
- Kazandu Tuskcaller: Great if you can keep it alive... which will be a big challenge in this format. It dies to pretty much anything.
- Nomads' Assembly: I ran this in my G/W tokens EDH. What I found was that it pretty much screamed "someone wipe the board before my next upkeep". That's often what happened. Just be aware of this problem.
- Grand Abolisher: What is this doing for you?
I'm not as well-versed on Rhys as Trostani, but a lot of the concepts are the same. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to help!
2 weeks ago
Roughshod Mentor gives trample. Very nice considering that, of your 2 non-green creatures, one is flying and one already gets trample.
3 weeks ago
Tonstar i agree it needs more card draw, i am also thinking the deck would benefit with more ramp. the reason i didnt play Garruk's Packleader is because even though i am green i am running a lot of 2 power creatures. Regal Force i dont have but Primordial Sage and Soul of the Harvest i do have and will consider thank you.
3 weeks ago
I think you could do with some more draw power. Cards like Garruk's Packleader, Primordial Sage, Soul of the Harvest, Regal Force or even the new Elemental Bond will help with that. Most are cheap too.
4 weeks ago
Ok, big post incoming!
I feel like this deck would be better with Trostani, Selesnya's Voice or Rhys the Redeemed as commander. Emmara is very expensive to cast, and will not protect tokens from things like Wrath of God, Cyclonic Rift or Black Sun's Zenith. Having more tokens is usually better than having ones that don't take damage. At the very least try to get Rhys and Trostani in your 99. I do like where this is going, though.
- Take out Emancipation Angel for Conjurer's Closet, because flickering things with ETB effects many times is better than doing it just once.
- Throw in a Sol Ring too because they're a must in any EDH deck. Take out Selesnya Keyrune.
- Take out Unflinching Courage for Behemoth Sledge, which does pretty much the same but will stay on the field if the creature carrying it dies.
- Font of Fertility isn't very good when you could run Rampant Growth, Cultivate or Kodama's Reach.
- Maybe run more token generation? Maybe Hornet Queen and definitely Rampaging Baloths and/or Avenger of Zendikar. Verdant Force is fantastic in multiplayer formats.
- I'd run something like White Sun's Zenith over Fated Intervention. A couple centaurs is pretty underwhelming.
Other things to work on? Card draw and removal. Smite the Monstrous is much worse than something like Swords to Plowshares. Another boardwipe would be good too. Try Phyrexian Rebirth or Martial Coup. For card draw, I'd look into green stuff like Garruk's Packleader, Shamanic Revelation, Greater Good, Garruk, Primal Hunter, etc. Best of all would be Skullclamp. Stick it on a 1/1 token, get two cards... repeat as necessary.
Stuff to take out would be Barkshell Blessing, which isn't going to help much at all in this format or this deck; the benefit is very minimal. Wheel of Sun and Moon doesn't really help you because tokens will leave the game as a state-based action the moment they hit the graveyard. Your deck just isn't set up to take advantage of it. You could take out some things like Devout Chaplain, Selesnya Sagittars and Phytohydra, which are unlikely to help much in this deck. There's not enough synergy with them. Dawnglow Infusion also doesn't really do much, there will always be better plays. Endless Swarm should absolutely come out. Not being able to play spells will make you lose.
Hope that helps, sorry if it's a bit overwhelming!
1 month ago
enpc I can't express my gratitude enough for your knowledge and time. Thank you!
The idea of Tolsimir Wolfblood as commander was entirely my friend's idea:) I told him the same thing you mentioned: that if he wanted lots of creatures & tokens to go with Rhys the Redeemed, or Saffi Eriksdotter/other legendary creatures for pure combo. He's a fanatic when it comes to wolves, and is very thoughtful about a card's art. Being his first deck, I said I would support and help with whatever he chose, and he chose Tolsimir.
Now I know it's not the most powerful option, but I think it definitely has potential, and will be able to hold it's own against other decks of similar budget. And my friend won't be going to tournaments or anything. Just our playgroup and at the shop. We all try to make our decks as competitive as possible given our budget.
Also, one last thing: The synergy I mentioned with Ashnod's Altar/Phyrexian Altar and a token doubler Parallel Lives/Primal Vigor/Doubling Season was taking into account that both Tolsimir Wolfblood and Thornbite Staff were on the battlefield. Tap equipped commander to put two Voja tokens onto the battlefield, "legendary" state-based action triggers, putting one into the grave. Thornbite Staff's ability triggers, untapping the commander. You then sac. the token to the engine, rinse, repeat. (correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's how the rules work)
Please take all the time you need! I'm eager to be working with you on this project:) I'll also look for potential cards that could be used with the combo.
Speaking of which, the new spoiler from Magic Origins Elemental Bond could be the solution we were waiting for to replace Fecundity/Kavu Lair and go alongside Garruk's Packleader. No advantages for opponents...Your thoughts?
Looking forward to our collaboration:) Cheers!
|Power / Toughness||4/4|
|Avg. draft pick||3.41|
|Avg. cube pick||8.22|
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|2011 Core Set||Uncommon|