Creature — Beast
Whenever another creature with power 3 or greater enters the battlefield under your control, you may draw a card.
|Want (2)||Etinifni , BeowulfBjornson|
Printings View all
|Commander 2019 (C19)||Uncommon|
|Magic 2015 (M15)||Uncommon|
|Magic 2013 (M13)||Uncommon|
|2011 Core Set (M11)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Garruk's Packleader occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.02%
Garruk's Packleader Discussion
3 weeks ago
Looks great! You might consider these: Mimic Vat (if you populate the token from Vat, the populated token stays indefinitely!), Feldon of the Third Path, Hate Mirage, Twinflame, Grumgully, the Generous, Keeper of Fables, Mouth / Feed, Garruk's Packleader, Elemental Bond, Second Harvest, Herald of the Host, Adorned Pouncer, Angel of Sanctions, Anointer Priest, Seance,
1 month ago
I like to run no less then 10 draw effects. Yours are nice because a lot of them can be repeated but I'd still get that number up a bit. Consider finding a spot for Keeper of Fables , Soul of the Harvest , Vizier of the Menagerie , Garruk's Packleader , Ohran Frostfang , Lurking Predators , and Etali, Primal Storm . Those are listed in no particular order just get the ones you can. Etali is likely the strongest of them.
As you play you'll find times when Nikya isn't in play. I know she really doens't like non-creatures but over time a few say no more than 10 wouldn't be a bad idea. Especially ones like Cultivate and Kodama's Reach . Those can easily be cast before your commander and grab lands which your commander really likes.
Any adventure cards would be worth thinking about.
1 month ago
Looks good so far! You might like these: Feldon of the Third Path , Bramble Sovereign , Felhide Spiritbinder , Splinter Twin , Seance , Flameshadow Conjuring , Minion Reflector , Twinflame , Heat Shimmer , Parallel Evolution , Adorned Pouncer , Angel of Sanctions , Galepowder Mage , Lightning Runner , Combat Celebrant , Garruk's Packleader
1 month ago
This is not bad at all. I have a couple of suggestions off the top of my mind though...
First off, I highly recommend using custom tags to sort your cards. To do this, go into the "edit" mode where you can see your card list. It will look something like:
You can then add tags by using #Category after a card. For example:
1xArbor Elf #Ramp
This will assign Arbor Elf to the "Ramp" category. Unsorted cards are assigned to "Other" by default.
I recommend these categories;
- Ramp (Aim for 12-16 of these. A card that costs more than 4 mana is too slow to be reliably called Ramp)
- Draw (At least 12)
- Removal (Around 8, make sure you can deal with other commanders/creatures!!!)
- Sweepers (Boardwipes, Green doesn't really have many it's okay)
- Support (Stuff that isn't obviously powerful but makes certain cards in the deck busted. Examples are your equipment)
- Lands (Obviously. Aim for 34-37. This deck wants 34-36)
The remaining cards can be categorized based on the specific inner-workings of your deck. For example, this deck might have a "Big Bois" category for creatures that are just huge.
Depending on your sorting preferences, it can by okay to tag one creature with multiple tags. For example;
1x Thorn Mammoth #Removal #Big_Boi
Onto my Card Suggestions:
- Soul of the Harvest is nice for card draw and comes with a big smashy body + Trample.
- Arbor Elf and Elvish Mystic are fantastic replacements for Leaf Gilder and Druid of the Cowl , assuming you want to go for efficiency.
- Beast Within and Acidic Slime are super helpful for dealing with nonsense of all kinds.
- If you are willing to pay $1.50 a pop for them, Cultivate and Kodama's Reach are good additions and could replace Explosive Vegetation and Circuitous Route in a pinch. -Other really nice Ramp includes Rampant Growth , Wild Growth , Fertile Ground and Utopia Sprawl . Ramp is life. - Fierce Empath is cheap and very effective at finding your creature answers. I run it in any deck that likes to use specifically powerful creatures, AKA green ones, lol.
- These ones are a tiny bit janky and unreliable, but Ezuri's Predation , Whirlwind and Monstrous Onslaught are green boardwipes.
- Swiftfoot Boots . Assuming you really like haste and hexproof on a 12/12 trampler, it is worth having another copy of Lightning Greaves by a different name. Also, this card is hilarious: Fleetfeather Sandals
- Apex Altisaur can cause some havoc. Often, getting rid of your opponents' engine pieces is the difference between life and death.
- Surrak, the Hunt Caller is an overlooked Green Haste Boi who could do work in this deck.
- Silklash Spider just because I'm very used to going toe-to-toe with flying decks. Granted, that's just my meta, but Silklash still does work as a defender in the case of no fliers. Heck, you're still happy even if you don't see any fliers - you want a ground game in the first place!
- Yeva, Nature's Herald is CRAZY. She effectively also gives Ghalta haste, which is all kinds of sweet.
- Rogue's Passage . It doesn't even take up a nonland slot!!! Free VALUE!!!!
- Zendikar Resurgent because cards + mana = happiness
Onto the cards I would suggest cutting:
- Elixir of Immortality . Your deck doesn't ever want to be in a game where this utility would be useful. This card simply doesn't do much. You already have Eternal Witness and if you really want a late-game reload, try Creeping Renaissance or Seasons Past .
- Gigantosaurus is alright, but I'm not in love with a 10/10 with no abilities. I know, I know, he makes Ghalta cost only 2, but I still think there are better options. Trust me when I say a creature with some sort of utility is preferable here. Ideas include the aforementioned Soul of the Harvest , Primordial Sage or a fight creature such as Thorn Mammoth or even another removal creature like Woodfall Primus or Terastodon (sorry, I know these are all really high CMC). Generally, cards that don't have some sort of utility are just not going to save your life when things get ugly.
- New Horizons and Gift of Paradise could be replaced with faster ramp. For the sake of having creatures (for cards like Guardian Project and Beast Whisperer , not to mention Ghalta, Primal Hunger ), it would even be better to run Wood Elves , Springbloom Druid , Yavimaya Dryad , or Farhaven Elf .
- Diamond Mare just isn't relevant. Sorry, but if you are in a position where gaining a small amount of life matters, odds are any other good green card would have done more to prevent you from being in such a bad spot. Your deck wants to be the aggressor, and quite honestly your offense will be so scary that most opponents wouldn't even consider attack out of fear of provoking you and simultaneously tapping their defenders. It isn't uncommon for a Green deck to retain the highest life total for a long time without the need for lifegain.
- I think you have a few too many artifacts. Remember that your commander LOVES having creatures on the field, so finding ways to turn your artifact utility into creature utility will go far.
- Staff of Nin is very slow and could be something like Garruk's Packleader instead.
All things considered, you've got a reasonably strong lineup. In a broad sense, I would recommend finding ways to include creatures with utility, since Ghalta appreciates bodies on the board and interaction allows you to curb your opponents' shenanigans as much as possible. Additionally and as I noted, there are fairly budget-friendly ramp options for the deck that are purely faster. Remember to keep a close eye on your Ramp and Draw, as these are the lifeblood of a commander deck, midrange especially.
It is worth mentioning that I never go below 34 lands. 35, and 36 are usually safe, so if you find yourself land-starved just add like 2 Forests and that should help.
Overall, you've done a good job though. Good luck making edits and please feel free to contact me about further changes/advice. I LOVE deckbuilding and Green is one of my colors ;)
2 months ago
Maybe something like this:
Also works with things like:
Ajani's Welcome or Angelic Chorus or Anointer Priest or Answered Prayers or Essence Warden or Healer of the Pride or Impassioned Orator or Leyline of Vitality or Soul Warden or Soul's Attendant or Suture Priest or Trostani, Selesnya's Voice or Verdant Sun's Avatar | Infinite Life
Genesis Chamber | Infinite tokens
Path of Discovery | Something with graveyard
Altar of the Brood | Infinite mill
Etc... It's a plan, didn't say it was a good plan? Anything here Aluren + should combo off with other stuff, just not sure to what end.
2 months ago
3 months ago
Oviya is a unique general. You might like these: Garruk's Packleader , Elemental Bond , Thorn Mammoth , Fungal Sprouting , Parallel Evolution , Illusionist's Bracers , Nest Invader , Imperious Perfect , Master of the Wild Hunt , Verdant Embrace , Mycoloth , Nacatl War-Pride , Cryptolith Rite , Druids' Repository , Song of Freyalise
3 months ago
Hey multimedia, thank you for all the suggestions and tips! I really like that combo with Mirror Entity and Atla Palani, Nest Tender . Definitely a busted interaction but if I can manage to pop that off it would give me a crazy advantage in my groups meta, so I'll definitely play with that idea.
Just to clarify a few things, I own all of the lands and 90% of the remaining cards in the maybe board so maintaining budget value isn't much of a concern right now. A lot of the cards, particularly the lands, have already been set aside to rotate in as we play through the league. Each week we can change 1-4 cards in our decks based on placing within the most recent league match(1st place:+2 cards, 2nd place:+3 cards, 3rd/4th:+4 cards).
You raise some valid points with several cards like Splinter Twin, Omnath and Iroas. I was thinking of subbing one of them for Protean Hulk as that could also help tutor creatures to the board like Godo, Aurelia etc. It would also work well with your Mirror Entity suggestion since the other players might not be so inclined to killing the Protean Hulk . To further enable this kind of combo, Fierce Empath , Congregation at Dawn and Eladamri's Call would be solid additions to pop the Hulk or other bigger creatures earlier I think. I'll definitely be playing around with these ideas!
I would like to keep Panharmonicon in the deck, at least for now, to help amp up etb triggers from cards like Ghired, Garruk's Packleader , Armada Wurm , Avenger of Zendikar , Angel of Sanctions etc. Having access to double rhinos from Ghired hitting the board has definitely helped me out a few times in previous matches, but it would also enable other cards that I've been wanting to add to the deck.
Eldrazi Displacer is another card I'll be playing around with in my next few play tests. I've been having trouble protecting my commander because the guys I play with don't really appreciate the rhino party... So Ghired gets sent back to the command zone pretty quickly in our matches haha. I also have Cloudshift set aside for this purpose though I hadn't placed it in the maybe board just yet.
But yes I agree, these precons really need some tuning for the mana base. I've been putting it off but my next changes will be swapping out lands to further optimize it and hopefully speed things up a little more. Once again, thank you so much for the suggestions! If you have any other ideas please don't hesitate to share. Cheers!