|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander (2016 Edition)||Rare|
|Deckmasters: Garfield vs. Finkel||Rare|
|Classic Sixth Edition||Rare|
Combos Browse all
: Add to your mana pool.
: Add or to your mana pool. Karplusan Forest deals 1 damage to you.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Karplusan Forest Discussion
1 day ago
I've playtested your deck against a couple of mine, which I think are generally fairly close on the casual-hardcode scale. Here are my random thoughts and suggestions.
- Sapseep Forest - Entering tapped isn't worth the upside.
- Mogg Hollows - Only getting coloured mana every other turn seems bad.
- 1x Forest, 1x Mountain to make place for...
- Karplusan Forest and Mossfire Valley - Two untapped mana-fixing lands.
- Mosswort Bridge and Spinerock Knoll - Both of these have requirements that should be easy to meet in your deck. They're really bad with X spells, but you have a lot of other useful targets.
- Clip Wings for Silklash Spider, a lot slower and more expensive, but reusable.
- Gruul Keyrune for Gruul Signet A 3/2 trample is really small in EDH, so I'd go for the lower mana cost if I were you.
- Lightning Bolt for Ulvenwald Tracker Basically Doom Blade on a stick with the huge guys you will be keeping around. Also fun with Thornbite Staff, which is also incredible ramp with Rosheen if you can arrange some other way to have creatures die. Volcanic Fallout would be an example.
More general suggestions:
- Might of Old Krosa One-off buffs aren't that great when you have three opponents you need to get down from 40 life. It's certainly not reliable as removal, either.
- Increasing Savagery Your many X-creatures turn mana into power and toughness. No need to have a separate card that does the same.
- Solidarity of Heroes Very powerful at the right time, but it's a one-off effect that requires some setup.
- Feral Incarnation - Three 3/3 beasts isn't worth the mana, and you don't have enough token generation to make it "free".
- Skarrg Guildmage - There are better trample-givers, like Nylea, God of the Hunt.
- Genesis In this type of deck with low-count high-value creatures I'd try to sneak this in, but it depends on how graveyard-hatey your meta is.
- Asceticism Again, high-value creatures that respond poorly to single-target removal. Keep your hydras safe!
- Death's Presence Even if your hydras die you get to keep most of their value.
- In the Web of War, Fires of Yavimaya or Xenagos, God of Revels - Haste on large creatures is huge, you can swing and kill someone without them getting the time to set up defence.
- Gyre Sage - Makes each hydra larger than the previous one, which makes him larger, which makes the next hydra larger... :o
- Elemental Bond - Card draw when you play creatures keeps the creatures coming.
- Soul of the Harvest - As above.
- Aggravated Assault - The plan is to make lots of mana and huge creatures. Letting them work double shifts the next turn might secure a kill (or two).
Slightly out of budget suggestions:
- Selvala, Heart of the Wilds - She seems perfect for the deck. Huge creatures, huge mana, extra cards.
- Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx - In decks with two colours or less, this makes a lot of mana.
To make room for this I'd personally cut all the treefolk. They're better in mono-green.
It depends on your meta, but I'd also cut all planeswalkers except maybe Xenagos. They just tend to die so quickly in EDH. Xenagos generally at least pays for himself, though.
You could also consider multi-mana dorks, like Bloom Tender, Fyndhorn Elder, Greenweaver Druid, Nantuko Elder, Priest of Titania, Shaman of Forgotten Ways, Somberwald Sage, Whisperer of the Wilds, Wirewood Channeler, Karametra's Acolyte and dubiously Frontier Siege.
I hope you can take at least something from this.
1 week ago
You should run Grove of the Burnwillows over Stomping Ground or even Karplusan Forest because it deals to much damage to you for you colors. You have Chromatic Star and Chromatic Sphere if you want colored mana any way. Plus I wouldn't run Perilous Vault, Oblivion Stone is so much better. And definitely 4 Expedition Map. and Crumble to Dust should be sideboard
3 weeks ago
You need more ramp. It's a creature aggro deck and you'll need to get more of them out than your opponents. You've got a Sol Ring, and I'd add Skyshroud Claim, Cultivate, Kodama's Reach, Nature's Lore, and Rampant Growth, maybe even Nissa's Pilgrimage. I wouldn't have less than five ramp cards in this deck, and probably be closer to seven.
More draw or you're gonna run out of gas. Harmonize is easy, so is Outpost Siege. Someone suggested Temple Bell; that person isn't your friend and hates you. Bell draws you 1 card for every 3-4 it draws your opponents. Unless you're running hugs or Nekusar that's terrible math. Life's Legacy and Momentous Fall can do work, as can Shamanic Revelation. As with ramp, I wouldn't go with less than 5 draw sources, and seven is better.
Broaden your land base. Taiga and Stomping Grounds are great but expensive, but Cinder Glade, Command Tower, Game Trail, Rootbound Crag, Karplusan Forest, and Mossfire Valley are all relatively cheap.
No reason not to run Hanweir Battlements. A few colorless sources never hurt, and having haste on a land can win games.
1 month ago
Urza's Incubator is great for any tribal deck and so is Door of Destinies and I agree with the above that ramp is necessary for Dragons. maybe upping the land count to 36-37 because 34 is super light for dragons. And maybe things like Cultivate and Kodama's Reach and lastly a Harrow for some more ramp spells. If you are willing to spend another $15 though picking up a Thran Dynamo and a Gilded Lotus would be great for the deck. Warstorm Surge is great for Dragons because they come out doing damage! Speaking of Dragons have you met Dragonstorm which is a late game bomb. Also I am not entirely sure why you are running Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle in the deck. It seems to slow and completely pointless for early and mid game(sorry don't mean to sound rude). Also I would take out Garruk for one of the Sarkhans if you really want another Planewalker to replace him. for your land base you can also run the more budget friendly r/g lands things like Rugged Highlands,Kazandu Refuge,Temple of Abandon,Temple of the False God, Game Trail, Timber Gorge,Mossfire Valley and lastly Karplusan Forest. There's also the two best budget fetches Terramorphic Expanse, and Evolving Wilds to help you get the colors you need. My final recommendations for you are Dragonlord Atarka, Dragonmaster Outcast, maybe a Skyline Despot and Fires of Yavimaya I hope this may have been helpful to you!
2 months ago
I was in the middle of creating a number of decks, so was keeping most of my cards in the one place for it. I haven't been playing for as long as many folk so don't have a colossal amount of cards and they can altogether just about fit in the box so long as I don't want to close it or anything.
I was really busy working myself up and crying and didn't really have a gauge for how bad it would be yet, but the cup wasn't full and actually the damage was much less than I expected. The cards were face up in piles and the rares were sleeved at the bottom where most of it pooled.
So long, and thanks for all the .gifs!
2 months ago
Mr_Sausage,Those are some interesting suggestions, but I believe that Perilous Vault is much better than Bane of Bala Ged. Yes, they both exile permanents, but Vault can do so at instant speed. Turn three vault into turn 4 activates shuts down many creature-base strategies like melira company, which would just exile two of their lands or mana dorks to Bane's attack trigger and combo off the next turn. I think it is important to understand the distinction between instant speed and sorcery and how much mana it is worth. On the topic of the Karplusan Forest, these are the best budget replacement for Grove of the Burnwillows and have been for a while. The point or two of damage only matters in about 5% of matchups which may seem like a lot but a stomping ground is much worse a lot of the time and having access to turn one Ancient Stirrings and turn two Pyroclasm or turn three other sweeper against Merfolk, Burn, Zooicide, Company, infect, and Infinity is necessary. That, plus the fact that you only have ~8 red sources without the Karplusan Forests means that you need them for consistency.
2 months ago
C16 cards we have:
- Atraxa, Praetors' Voice
- Beacon of Unrest
- Breya, Etherium Shaper
- Bruse Tarl, Boorish Herder
- Caves of Koilos - Charging Cinderhorn
- Coastal Breach
- Command Tower
- Commander's Sphere
- Conqueror's Flail
- Cruel Entertainment
- Crystalline Crawler
- Darkwater Catacombs
- Deepglow Skate
- Dragonskull Summit- Faerie Artisans
- Goblin Spymaster
- Grave Upheaval
- Hanna, Ship's Navigator - Ikra Shidiqi, the Usurper
- Iroas, God of Victory
- Ishai, Ojutai Dragonspeaker
- Karplusan Forest
- Kraum, Ludevic's Opus
- Kydele, Chosen of Kruphix
- Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis
- Ludevic, Necro-Alchemist
- Manifold Insights
- Oath of Druids- Orzhov Advokist
- Parting Thoughts
- Primeval Protector
- Prismatic Geoscope
- Ravos, Soultender
- Reins of Power
- Reyhan, Last of the Abzan
- Rootbound Crag
- Saskia the Unyielding
- Selfless Squire
- Shadowblood Ridge
- Sidar Kondo of Jamuraa
- Silas Renn, Seeker Adept
- Stonehoof Chieftain
- Sublime Exhalation
- Sungrass Prairie
- Sunpetal Grove- Sydri, Galvanic Genius
- Sylvan Reclamation- Tana, the Bloodsower
- Tymna the Weaver
- Underground River- Vial Smasher the Fierce
- Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder
- Zedruu the Greathearted
2 months ago
Less budget (up to ~$10.00 each)