|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Play Savage Beating only during your turn and only during combat.
Choose one - Creatures you control gain double strike until end of turn; or untap all creatures you control and after this phase, there is an additional combat phase.
Savage Beating Discussion
1 month ago
We like this deck, so first off: +1! :)
Our Xenagos deck (which still needs to be posted) also includes some more 'extra attack' cards, which enables us to include use Xenagos' ability multiple times during the same turn. This would include cards like Combat Celebrant , Relentless Assault , Savage Beating , Seize the Day and World at War .
Have fun concocting this brew :)
Mrs and Mr NV_1980
1 month ago
- Nyxborn Shieldmate for Boros Reckoner both better creatures and reckoner works amazing with lightmines if u decide to add it
- Palace Guard for Archetype of Aggression
- Darksteel Plate for Whispersilk Cloak since your guys are invincible anyways. this also deters them from being targeted.. boardwipes will still work though.
- Stoneforge Masterwork for Tenza, Godo's Maul if up u this on ur commander hes a 10/7 menance with trample, seems like a better piece
- Armory of Iroas - Sunforger costs a few more mana but u have alot of tricks u can pull out of it for free late game
- Staff of Nin for Mind's Eye
- Avacyn's Collar for Spear of Heliod upgrades all ur doods and makes people scared to attack you
- Manalith for Commander's Sphere an upgrade
- Act of Treason for Faithless Looting card draw with flashback seems always good
- Mass Mutiny - Mob Rule seems like an upgrade
- Miraculous Recovery - Settle the Wreckage amazing board wipe, can really put you ahead. if not interested in a board wipe id suggest maybe a single target removal like Chaos Warp . i feel like you need ways to deal with high pressure threats
- Pay No Heed - Deflecting Palm
- Righteousness for Fight to the Death i know these two cards arent related, but how hilarious would it be to cast this when someone else is combating another player, basically can wipe two players boards if timed proper. if u would prefer to keep a combat trick here i would suggest maybe Gods Willing or something that does not require the creature to be blocking
- Smite - Ride Down
- Warleader's Helix - Savage Beating or Ajani Vengeant i feel helix doesnt provide enough value, for removal it is very weak , if u want good removal to replace this instead of a threats i listed, i would consider Oblivion Ring type cards
- Martial Glory - Boros Charm charm is must include, so much value! protect from boardwipes including land destruction! removal or maybe boost ur commander after blocks with a double strike if some1 is already been hit once and hello 21 commander dmg
2 months ago
I prefer Warstorm Surge over Where Ancients Tread because it's almost as strict upgrade. If you're okay being mean you can play Myojin of Infinite Rage . It'll almost guarantee you victory. Illharg loves extra combats. I would suggest running a few. World at War and Savage Beating seem pretty useful.
Illharg plays very similarly to Feldon for the most part. You can check out my deck Feldon Never Gets Any Love to see what I mean, but here's one key interaction they share with Sundial of the Infinite . Because the tokens are returned to your hand at the beginning of the next end step, if you end the turn after that ability triggers and goes on the stack, that ability that would bounce your creature will get exiled as a result of the sundial ending the turn. It triggered once, so it won't trigger again. You'll get giant, free creatures for .
2 months ago
To add the above combos, let's remove -
4 months ago
Hey, thanks for the advice! I really like Gift of Immortality cause I think that'll be a cool way to keep Narset alive. I'm definitely going to put it into the maybeboard and I'm going to playtest with it.
Spectra Ward initially seemed really good, but then I realized that Narset, Enlightened Master wouldn't be benefiting from any of the combat buffs. Sometimes your win comes from attacking with a 22/5 Narset that's got double strike and can't be blocked. For that matter, I also can't run the Lightning Greaves cause it knocks out so many of the crucial combat buff spells. Swiftfoot Boots is okay, but it's a little extraneous, since Narset's already got hexproof, so it's only really adding haste. However, it did get me thinking about other similar cards so I might run Ring of Valkas or Haunted Cloak . But I'll need a little bit more playtesting for that.
I tend to avoid the straight up extra turn spells (cause you lose all of your combat buffs) and instead run several extra combat phases. I've already got Illusionist's Gambit , Savage Beating , Fury of the Horde , and World at War . I'm just a little worried that adding more is going to reduce the effectiveness of Narset when she swings cause she won't hit the combat buffs.
Rogue's Passage is a good card that I had considered. Since Narset's ability triggers on attack, it isn't necessary, but it is still nice in case you fail to hit the cards that keep fer from being blocked or give her indestructible. So I think I'll replace one of my lands with that cause it can't really hurt the deck, only help it.
Thanks for the help!
4 months ago
There are a lot of creatures you can cut but the first thing you may want to consider is artifacts. I know you want to build an instant heavy deck but you may want some artifacts that will give narset a consistent boost once they're equipped. Darksteel Plate . Trailblazer's Boots , Swiftfoot Boots , Helm of the Host , Grappling Hook , Sword of Feast and Famine . You also want a ,to of artifact ramp for your deck. Narset of often seen as a major threat, you want to get her out as fast as possible. Sol Ring , the signets, Commander's Sphere , Darksteel Ingot , MindStone, Gilded Lotus are all great for that.
If you really want to run creatures in narset, I'd stick to about your 10 favorite, just so you have a lower chance of exiling them with her ability. I would keep mirrorwing, zada, dragonlord, etali, jace, thing, sphinx, kiega, exemplars and sage.
Moving onto instants and sorceries, you are going to want some extra combat phases along with double strike and pump affects. Fury of the Horde , Waves of Aggression , Savage Beating , Relentless Assault , World at War , Seize the Day . Id keep your instant count down around 30 cards total, start cutting with things like Gideon's Reproach , that are very situational.
I hope this helps, best of luck with the deck
5 months ago
I didn't recommend it above cause Gruul doesn't have reliable tutors and assembling them can be difficult. Just putting them here for completeness sake.
5 months ago
@Bearmagus I actually thought about those two (and still kinda am), but I'm not sure if I want to include them. I can't tell if either of them are shirtless or not ( Iroas, God of Victory looks like he's wearing armor, and Purphoros, God of the Forge has some gold liquid on his chest making it hard to discern). They're definitely good looking hunks tho.
Savage Beating occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%