Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Authority of the Consuls
Creatures your opponents control enter the battlefield tapped.
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under an opponents control, you gain 1 life.
1 week ago
Vengeful Ancestor is a stud here.
Authority of the Consuls in addition to Urabrask makes it so every hastey boy isn't sent your way and makes it impossible for your opponents to play fresh ungoaded blockers.
I've also had really good results out of 'deals combat damage to an opponent' effects due to a lack of blockers once a goad chain gets going. Stuff like Aerial Extortionist, Ancient Gold Dragon, and Scepter of Celebration.
A pet card of mine that's hilariously effective here is Kusari-Gama. It'll get your big boys through or wipe their board. Equip it to Soltari Guerrillas to ensure no one can block ANY of your creatures without immediate retaliation.
Anyways, feel free to check out my list for ideas. Upvotes on any of my decks are appreciated. Marisi the Pimp - (Combat) Trickin' Hoes
1 month ago
I'm not much of a combo player... so synergy it is!
3 months ago
I would joke about "how can it be a Stax deck without Smokestack", but that's separate, and instead I'll offer up some possibly evil advice:
- Teferi's Puzzle Box or any wheel effect (like Echo of Eons) is obnoxious with Narset, Parter of Veils or Notion Thief. You could also go for Alms Collector for extra obnoxiousness.
- Raffine's Tower is a fetchable tri-land, so highly recommended. Not sure what your budget is, but other handy lands include Reflecting Pool, Field of the Dead (if you can swap out some lands for snow lands), Mana Confluence, Temple of the False God, the Fetches on-color (or even Prismatic Vista or Fabled Passage if you're basic-heavy). If you're basic heavy, maybe go for Back to Basics if you know there are lots of non-basic lands running around...
- In terms of Teferi's Protection comboing, why not Sunder?
- For removal, I highly recommend Vindicate and Anguished Unmaking. Elspeth Conquers Death is pinpoint plus reanimation, which can be handy. Cyclonic Rift is really quite pricey (surprisingly), but an excellent nuke.
- As for stealing opponents' things, I can suggest Commandeer, Desertion, Gonti, Lord of Luxury, Telemin Performance... you could also use things like Silent-Blade Oni, Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni, and Fallen Shinobi for extra stealing fun, but given that they're Ninjas, they don't work as well without a dedicated Ninja strategy.
- Thalia, Heretic Cathar is another fun "Stax" card, as is Authority of the Consuls.
- Tutors are awesome (Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Enlightened Tutor, Mystical Tutor, Profane Tutor, Lim-Dul's Vault...), but not sure which ones you have ready access to. I also recommend Expedition Map to help get more lands.
- For some card draw, Teferi, Time Raveler, Sphinx's Revelation, and Fact or Fiction might be worth considering.
3 months ago
Great Commander choice, dude, greatly underrated nowadays imho.
I'll get right to it. Considering that they also translate into card draw, I'd have to recommend an abundance of low-cost Lifegain effects. Archivist of Oghma, Serra Ascendant, Soul's Attendant, Soul Warden, Blood Artist, Zulaport Cutthroat, Elas il-Kor, Sadistic Pilgrim, Leonin Elder, Profane Memento, Spectrum Sentinel, Authority of the Consuls & Blind Obedience will trigger often. Zuran Orb allows you to just straight up turn your excess Lands into card advantage mid-late game, provided you tap them for mana before you sacrifice them. Not bad for a 0-drop.
Some higher costed stuff like Kambal, Consul of Allocation, Queza, Augur of Agonies, Sheoldred, the Apocalypse, Life Insurance, Shabraz, the Skyshark & Sunscorch Regent will all draw you a bunch of cards.
As far as winning goes, there are a few combos that work intrinsically with what the deck is already trying to do. I see you're running Sanguine Bond + Exquisite Blood as one of your WinCons, so you're off to a good start. Heliod, Sun-Crowned + Walking Ballista fits here, as does Aetherflux Reservoir + Bolas's Citadel + Sensei's Divining Top. All of these combos can be easily Tutored within Esper, with the only dead card being Walking Ballista. "Dead" meaning it's useless on it's own, not that it's hard to Tutor.
Speaking of Aetherflux Reservoir & Bolas's Citadel, using your Life as a resource is obviously a good strategy here since you'll be gaining so much of it no matter how you build this one. Greed, Unfulfilled Desires, Phyrexian Processor, Phyrexian Reclamation & Defiler of Faith are good examples. Necropotence & Ad Nauseam obviously exists as well. You could also run stuff like Razaketh, the Foulblooded & Vilis, Broker of Blood, but that would require a Reanimator strategy...
Other than that I'd probably add some more Tutors & Ramp for your combos, & more protection for Oloro, Ageless Ascetic.
3 months ago
Thanks for the Upvote and the Notes and suggestions friend! I'm actually trying to acquire more copies of Thalia, Guardian of Thraben still. I just kinda threw this together with the cards I had so that I could get a feel for the deck. White weenie was a big deal back in the day and I loved playing it, so I'm kinda leaning into that range with this deck being Tribal Human as well, but I also like the idea of Death and Taxes, so I'm a bit unsure where to go with it to make it competitive and still staying true to the tribal theme. It definitely excludes some of the better Tax cards in doing this, but I feel like there is some good human cards that also tax. I'm actually headed to do some playtesting with this right now, so I should have a better idea later. I do have three Aether Vials and I could swap them in as you suggested, I personally would like to see the Esper Sentinel get bigger and to provide a bigger tax. Too bad Crusade is no longer a thing, lol. I do have an Authority of the Consuls but only one. maybe I'll try both for now? Anyways! Thanks again for checking in! Cheers!
3 months ago
+1 for stepping out of the box, Death and Taxes is fairly streamlined in modern these days, so anything that's different is always worth looking at. I won't tell you to move in that direction either, but a few notes:
- Thalia, Guardian of Thraben is always a big target for players. Generally you'd want to run 4 so that you're always prepared for the worst. You'd probably be fine with 3.
- Authority of the Consuls > Imposing Sovereign. Yeah with tax you'd be paying the same amount, but it just straight offers more value.
- How often do you put +1/+1 counters on Esper Sentinel? He's still value regardless, with Champion of the Parish and Thalia's Lieutenant, it seems like that's a bit of a theme. If you don't care that much about +1/+1's, maybe keep the lieutenant and replace champion with Aether Vial?
4 months ago
Hello! I went through your list looking for spots to upgrade, but I found almost none: congratulations, it is really optimized!
Still, I believe you might want to consider some of these cards to increase your engine:
- Since your deck punishes artifacts so heavily (Austere Command, Stony Silence, Titania's Song), I believe Helm of the Gods could be swapped out for Primal Order as a punisher for nonbasic landbases. (Against my decks, it would be doing all the damage.)
- Michiko's Reign of Truth Flip, Katilda, Dawnhart Martyr Flip and Hallowed Haunting might be good finishers for your deck.
4 months ago
i really enjoyed the enforce that u had describing the deck and the mechanics.
i'm playing Lathiel for a long long time and i'm updating him a lot since then.
all the cards that u described i alredy test it, some of then still in the deck but mostly i had cut from the deck in order to be fastier and be more "Go for the troat" (my playgroup dont play easy haha).
firstly i wanna say the awesome cards that i wouldn't dare to touch that u metion before: Aetherflux Reservoir Authority of the Consuls Mangara, the Diplomat True Conviction Worldly Tutor Teferi's Protection Ozolith, the Shattered Spire Branching Evolution Light of Promise Well of Lost Dreams Scholar of New Horizons Tribute to the World Tree Esper Sentinel
it took me a long time to get this deck better and i still getting some frustations but if you like to consider, here some tips of cards to be implemented in order to have a better experience with it: ( mostly of this cards i proxed it because i dont wanna spend a lot of money and because i dont have a headache changing they every 2 months when wizards bring some new things )
starting with the nasty combos :
God Mode ( infinity mana + infinity draw :D ) : Argothian Elder or Priest of Titania + Quirion Ranger+ Ashaya, Soul of the Wild + Beast Whisperer with Eternal Witness in the deck u can even cast your grave again
ramp : Marwyn, the Nurturer : counters will get him a good ramp Mirari's Wake : awesome ramp Land Tax: can save you in early game Burgeoning : get ahead Priest of Titania : every elf in the battlefield Exploration : get ahead again Arbor Elf : very good with Selesnya Sanctuary or some mana that u need Mana Reflection: awesome ramp Circle of Dreams Druid : gaeas crandle in creature Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx : why not ? proxy <3 Crop Rotation: get those good lands in battlefield Carpet of Flowers: very good against 2 or more people Smothering Tithe : just perfect
draw : Generous Patron: our green budget risky study, perfect in lathiel Guardian Project : good in general The Great Henge : we have big creatures so probably will cost onle 2 green mana Toski, Bearer of Secrets : unstapable, can't be countered and draw Archivist of Oghma: meh... sometimes good sometimes not, but its 2 mana
tutors: Finale of Devastation : go for the troat Enlightened Tutor: very good tutor in our deck Eladamri's Call : get those pieces that u need Fauna Shaman : get those pieces that u need Defense of the Heart: this is funny, but moste of times works haha Yisan, the Wanderer Bard : good in general Natural Order : to the battlefield! Primal Command : say goodbye to ur grave zombie players
utility: Akroma's Will: defense or end game Alhammarret's Archive : it's 5 mana, but double life gain and double draw Eternal Witness : u have awesome cretures that people wanna destroy so... also good piece of combo God Mode Elesh Norn, Mother of Machines : Hushbringer + Hardened Scales, but better Serra Ascendant: sooooo goood in this deck ... first piece to be tutored by yisan, the wanderer bard Angel of Destiny: go for the troat Ashaya, Soul of the Wild: combo, but also a big creature Overwhelming Stampede : go for the troat Walking Ballista: good in general andd combo Cleric Class: combo but also grave Spike Feeder : Snowball effect, one of the best synergy of lathiel, 'each turn' change counters for life/