Kodama of the East Tree
Legendary Creature — Spirit
Whenever another permanent enters the battlefield under your control, if it wasn't put onto the battlefield with this ability, you may put a permanent card with equal or lesser converted mana cost from your hand onto the battlefield.
Partner (You can have two commanders if both have partner.)
|Have (2)||gpuddleduck ,|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Kodama of the East Tree Discussion
1 week ago
I'm not sure if these are above your price range, but I run Druids' Repository and Bow of Nylea in my Tovolar EDH deck. A jank suggestion is Sight of the Scalelords, but I need to play test that more. I'm also testing out Kodama of the East Tree and Neyith of the Dire Hunt. I would highly recommend Nylea's Intervention alongside Reliquary Tower, and if you're willing to pay for it Master of the Wild Hunt is a great card.
3 weeks ago
Played a bunch today and here is results of changes.
- -1 Apex Devastator to sideboard, moved to sideboard to swap out with blightsteel/eldrazi for newer players
- -1 Temur Sabertooth, removed due to the amount of cardraw available. I feel I would rather draw than bounce.
- +1 Blightsteel Colossus to maindeck, Blightsteel is a counter to my local playgroup. We've got a lifegain deck and one deck running Pariah and Pariah's Shield. Along with Akroma's Memorial and Finale of Devastation this is my nuclear option.
- +1 Bala Ged Sanctuary Flip, land and recurrence is very valuable.
- +1 Mirrorpool, ehh fine seems ok to drop a copy of a big creature that does something,, what's the worst that can happen? :)
- -1 Mana Crypt to maybeboard, don't have one is the only reason. If I can get one,, maybe?
- +1 Jeweled Lotus, replacement for mana crypt... Now let me tell you,, jeweled -> azusa --> lotus cobra --> two fetches --> Tooth and nail.. That was a quick game!
- +1 Maze of Ith, This is at tech, really aggressive in my area! There are some cases it's death to not have an air blocker!
- +1 Petrified Field, Testing it at this time, not sure how to abuse it yet
- +1 Momentous Fall, Does not feel as bad as I initially thought. Use this defensively often times.
- +1 Cryptic Caves, niche card testing it out. Turns your crucibles into three draw for 3 mana + land drops.. 3 mana draw 3 cards... seems decent
- +1 Thespian's Stage, what does it do? answer: yes
- -1 Beast Whisperer, I have enough creatures, but the costs are too high
- +1 Zendikar Resurgent, replacement for beast whisperer, has the potential to double mana while going off
- -1 Guardian Project, same problem as beast whisperer
- +1 Return of the Wildspeaker, another large draw effect to combo off of to replace guardian
- +1 Inkmoth Nexus, bad habits die hard, keeping one in deck for "that guy" at the table.
- -1 Field of the Dead -> maybeboard, only reason I'm taking it out is I don't own it. Dropping it into maybe board
- Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger is here to stay. When you go off with a large draw dropping him is amazing. He will give you enough mana to combo off and finish on the stop at times. He's also a good target for Natural Order.
- After drawing 10 cards and drawing into Rude Awakening,, it has a new place in my heart, seems to be a keeper
- Once I hit 25 basics, I think I can just win the game. The amount of basics should stick between 24-26 and 45 lands in total to facilitate the engines. If we're slightly under half I think we're good.
- Kodama of the East Tree was potentially good enough to combo off a large draw with vorin, need to test this more!
Thinking of Cutting:
- Beacon of Creation --> , requires more testing due to new landbase
Why the sideboard was added:
- Core creatures for swapping on the sideboard are Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger, Kozilek, Butcher of Truth, Kozilek, the Great Distortion, Blightsteel Colossus, and Craterhoof Behemoth.
- Each of these creatures fills a different role. voice of hunger is a creature to combo off with on a large draw or to slow down my opponents. Butcher of truth fills your hand then wins by sacing against a single opponent or threating multiple attack if they don't sac a specific permanent (politics yeeehhh). Blightsteel teaches people that lifegain decks don't work against green edh.... craterhoof teaches people that lifegain deck's don't work against green in edh (AZUSA SMASH!!)... please stop playing lifegain decks in edh... Great Distortion draws and controls the game if your ahead.
If I'm playing against my friends then these are great. If we're trying to include someone I will swap them out for cards in the sideboard and leave in a couple.
1 month ago
I think these are all solid commanders but would have to say Kodama of the East Tree and Bruse Tarl, Boorish Herder is my favorite combination. Although Bruse Tarl, Boorish Herder isn't my favorite he does give solid protection thru the threat of death to most blockers which is nice since you will be attacking a lot.
1 month ago
So, obviously I need a Naya Commander, be it singular or some combination of Partners. While it is true I could always go Najeela, the Blade-Blossom, I really don't want to. I feel like she's overused and I don't intend to run Dimir, even if I could add more utility to the deck. I want it to be strictly Naya.
I know that because I want Wulfgar and Adriana, I need to focus on attacking as much as possible during combat. Good Commanders for this are:
These two have actual attack triggers, though I am unsure how much of the deck, if any, will utilize tokens, which thus makes Ghired a little bit lackluster. And given how Melee works, I need to declare as an attacker anyways. Therefore the token Ghired populates would not trigger Melee.
So this sounds like Gahiji, Honored One, as she gives the +2/+0 to everyone. What's nice is that Wulfgar doubles this into +4/+0 and Adriana gives Melee on top of it, for a potential +3/+3. With them both combined, you'd see two triggers of Melee and two triggers of +2/+0 for a total of +10/+6 on everything, assuming they are both out.
That sounds supremely awesome and overpowered and broken.
But my concern comes in the form of removal. Once Wulfgar and / or Adriana are off the battlefield and in the graveyard, it feels like it would be extremely difficult to get them back.
Following that logic, would it actually make more sense to build around Rienne, Angel of Rebirth?
Or does the community have better ideas? I'm also looking at Bruse Tarl, Boorish Herder possibly partnered up with Kodama of the East Tree, as this gives me both an incredibly powerful attack trigger to kick off of, but also a means to help cheat some larger creatures into play, essentially doubling my efforts each turn.
I basically want the deck to be able to stand on it's own two legs, but kick off when Wulfgar or Adriana hit the field, and become a dominating presence when both land.
I mean, Wulfgar of Icewind Dale doubling Aurelia, the Warleader is just immensely brutal, especially with Adriana, Captain of the Guard triggering Melee off of everyone during what amounts to all three combat steps. Seriously, that's Melee on all three of them and Wulfgar doubles each time. So by the third combat phase, you're at +18/+18.
- +3/+3 for attacking all three opponents
- 2x for Wulfgar
- +3/+3 again during the 2nd phase
- 2x for Wulfgar
- +3/+3 for the final phase
- 2x for Wulfgar
- +6/+6 + +6/+6 + +6/+6 = +18/+18 by the end of it.
All of this said, I'm thinking the wisest option is Rienne, Angel of Rebirth since she helps protect against death. What's everyone else think, though?
Rienne's 5/4 body would also be bumped to 8/7 on Adriana and with Wulfgar, an additional +3/+3 to a total of 11/10. If you happen to have Aurelia, the Warleader or someone such as Bruse Tarl, Boorish Herder for double strike, that's a 1-shot kill due to Commander Damage.
I think I'm talking myself into running Rienne, Angel of Rebirth but I want to be sold on it by the community. I feel like I'm missing something here... Am I?
2 months ago
You miss some of the best and most onbvious inclusions here: Ghalta, Primal Hunger, The Great Henge, Dig Through Time and Treasure Cruise all reduce their own cost. You can cast them for cheap but still get a high cmc cascade trigger. Kodama of the East Tree is also bonkers in my Imoti, allowing you to put 25+ lands into play untapped in a single turn, that’s especially great with Nyxbloom Ancient or Zendikar Resurgent. Also if you get your hands on a copy of Palinchron or Great Whale, you should consider them. It’s a free cascade trigger or they even ramp with a mana doubler/tripler or lands like Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx. Aetherflux Reservoir is a strong finisher, often giving 150+ life in a single turn. You could also easily reduce the amount of lands quite a bit if you include more ramp and card draw.
That should be enough for a first input
2 months ago
Hey, well done for a first deck. You have good card sense on a budget and you've even included Rimewood for Farseek, nice. Sol Ring and Arcane Signet are staple budget mana rocks in Commander to consider adding.
I see Retreat to Coralhelm, but I don't see the missing piece to the Retreat landfall combo. Budget Llanowar Scout or Scaled Herbalist tap to put a land from your hand onto the battlefield thus you can untap one of them with Retreat and repeat. These creatures let you put a land from your hand onto the battlefield at instant speed to trigger Aesi on opponent's turn. The last piece of the combo is Simic Growth Chamber or Guildless Commons. The land can bounce itself back to your hand and repeat.
I see Kodama of the East Tree; if you add Meloku the Clouded Mirror then you have another landfall combo. Any basic land can be repeatedly bounced and played to create infinite 1/1 Spirits. Tap a basic land to make one mana, use that mana to pay for Meloku and bounce the basic land you just tapped. This creates a 1/1 Spirit which triggers Kodama, put the same basic land from your hand and repeat.
There's a secondary sea monster theme here which Ominous Seas would expand on. Seas has interaction with Aesi since you put a counter on it each time you draw a card including your first draw each of your turns. Combine Seas with Retreat combo to make infinite 8/8 Krakens. Whelming Wave can be a blowout since Aesi is a Serpent. Bounce all opponents creatures leaving just Aesi and any other sea monsters still on the battlefield. Wave is nice Fierce Empath to bounce it to then cast it again to tutor again.
Teferi's Ageless Insight lets you draw an additional card whenever you draw a card. For each card drawn means that if you have an effect that draws more than one card such as Brainstorm you instead draw six cards. Yavimaya Coast, Bant Panorama, Blighted Woodland are some budget land upgrades to consider.
Some cards to consider cutting:
- Llanowar Tribe: too difficult of a casting cost when playing so many Islands.
- Engulf the Shore: too many Forests.
- Arbor Elf: too many Islands.
- Sphinx of Uthuun: not needed and too much CMC for what it does.
- Verdant Sun's Avatar: not needed, have life gaining from other cards that are less CMC.
- Khalni Heart Expedition: subpar source for ramp/landfall.
- Explosive Vegetation: the other two four drop land ramp spells are better.
- Beast Whisperer: a good card, but you can get repeatable draw from other sources that don't require you to cast a creature since the majority of the creatures here are high CMC.
Good luck with your deck.
2 months ago
Hello again. I’ve commented on your deck before. I’ve got a few card suggestions I’ld like your thoughts on. First is Ashaya, Soul of the Wild who gives you a lot more landfall triggers and pairs well with the cloudstone curio. The next one is a two card combo that will give you infinite creature tokens and infinite landfall triggers. Meloku the Clouded Mirror + Kodama of the East Tree works by returning a land to your hand to create a token which triggers Kodama which will let you put the land you just returned to hand back into play to be bounced back to create another token and rinse and repeat for infinite tokens and landfall triggers. Thespian's Stage and Vesuva for copies of your field of the dead or any other lands you may want multiples of and Mirage Mirror to copy anything you want really, except for legendaries obviously.
2 months ago
Hey, you're welcome, nice changes.
Is the +1/+1 counter theme worth it here? Bane is a good card in multiplayer, but it doesn't need a +1/+1 counter theme to be good, it just happens to use +1/+1 counters. Champion of Lambholt also uses counters, but she gets counters from creating creature tokens, interaction with Twincasters. Fractals also have counters, but that's just how they're created, the additional +1/+1 counter theme isn't really helping Fractals. +1/+1 counters don't have interaction with making token copies of creatures since the token copy doesn't get the counters when it's created.
A good counter interaction here is Primal Empathy + Fathom Mage , but how consistent is it that you get both these cards without having tutors to get them? Not sure if Fathom is worth playing as a draw source when it wants a more expanded counter theme to get the most out of it. Empathy, you don't have a consistent high power creature to take advantage of the draw.
Fae Offering has a good token effect with Twincasters, but only if you can trigger it which consistently seems too difficult here. Khalni Ambush Flip, fight is good with Hornet Nest , but I don't think I would play a card that all it does is fight just to have this interaction. You don't really have powerful enough creatures until later in the game that can fight an opponents creature, kill it while also having your creature survive.
Some budget changes to consider based on my last comment:
- Tireless Provisioner --> Rishkar, Peema Renegade
- Meloku the Clouded Mirror --> Deekah, Fractal Theorist
- Kodama of the East Tree --> Managorger Hydra
- Champion of Lambholt --> Master Biomancer
- Spawnwrithe --> Fae Offering
- Risen Reef --> Fathom Mage
- Double Major --> Khalni Ambush Flip
- Fierce Empath --> Nissa's Expedition
- Mystic Reflection --> Turn Aside
- Reconnaissance Mission --> Eureka Moment