Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice this unless you discard a card.
Skip your draw step.
You have shroud. (You can't be the target of spells or abilities.)
Prevent all damage that would be dealt to you.
1 month ago
I could be wrong, but I think Dig Through Time should go in over Treasure Cruise, it digs far deeper. I use Second Chance with Hall of Heliod's Generosity as a win con, it's a bit clunky but infinite turns is pretty good, I'm not sure if your deck can use it without All That Glitters or some other way to pump Zur, but your deck doesn't have to use Necropotence to lower your life total and can still draw cards potentially, so it might work here. You could throw in Unspeakable Symbol as a way to lower your life total (that Zur can find) that also pumps Zur to then win with extra turns, the only annoyance is that the life payment is in clumps of 3, so you might not get to 0 very easily with it. Solitary Confinement is very good with Necropotence out, potentially a lot better than Island Sanctuary.
Love your deck idea, I've often been impressed by stuff like Axis of Mortality, such a versatile card. If you use a 'life exchange' effect to raise an opponent's life total, Tainted Remedy turns the gained life to loss, which can kill people even if you don't target yourself with it, and the player that didn't die is now stuck with the much lower life total.
1 month ago
Kataki, War's Wage would be a good addition with the small amount of artifacts you run.
I'm also fond of layers on layers of protection for myself and my board when I'm playing hatebears. Teferi's Protection, Flawless Maneuver, Sylvan Safekeeper, Mother of Runes, Shalai, Voice of Plenty, Liesa, Forgotten Archangel, and Luminous Broodmoth for board protection. Windborn Muse, Ghostly Prison, Sphere of Safety, Solitary Confinement, etc. for personal protection.
I have 2 different hatebear decks (neither contains red though) if you care to take a look for some ideas. Upvotes on any of my decks are appreciated. Sisay's Hombres -Hatebears (deeper in hatebears theme) and Added Layers of Protection - Tymna & Sidar (more selective with hatebears w/ loads of protection)
1 month ago
Hi! Really enjoyed reading the primer, it seems like a pretty fun concept. In my pod, Aetherflux Reservoir is relatively common and I wanted to get your opinion on adding something like Angel's Grace as an extra tool to use if Delaying Shield or Solitary Confinement aren't on the board. I don't know if it's worth it to replace a card with it, and if it is worth it, which card would get the axe.
1 month ago
With natural monarch you'd be surprised how good Solitary Confinement can be.. It is psycho good at stopping a few non-combat combos (infinite dmg/walking ballista) & stopping sudden swings at you. The biggest problem I see is that you'd want reliable higher end draw/turn instead of just replacing your lost monarch card. Then again, you can do a lot with just holding some of the monarch courts big bonuses off this effect.
3 months ago
alexjustdoit , Arachnogenesis is a cool card, but Settle the Wreckage and Comeuppance serve similar roles and can be tutored from Sunforger. Also I have no way to utilize the spider tokens (such as Craterhoof Behemoth) in the deck. I see in your list you run Jolrael, Mwonvuli Recluse, so that is a good way to pump the tokens.
Looking at your list a few things come to mind:
It looks like you can win using the combos I have listed or through combat using Insurrection or Arachnogenesis + Jolrael, Mwonvuli Recluse, but I think you could use another. With enough card draw Laboratory Maniac works well, but Approach of the Second Sun is another good win con.
2) Card Draw
I suggest running more card draw, I noticed you have no group hug style card draw effects besides Selvala, Explorer Returned, and you have no sorcery card draw (such as Sphinx's Revelation). I would suggest adding more card draw, either through enchantments like Sylvan Library or cards like Sphinx's Revelation.
3) Board Wipes
I get wanting your opponents to build up creatures so you can use them with Disrupt Decorum or Insurrection, but I think it is worth including spells like Austere Command, Farewell, Vandalblast, Cyclonic Rift, etc to control the board when you need to.
4) Flash Enablers
I have found that this style of control deck really wants to be able to play on other peoples turns, where you can hold up mana for either removal or countermagic, but play ramp or card draw if your opponents do nothing. Cards to support this include Vedalken Orrery and Leyline of Anticipation. There is also great synergy with the Seedborn Muse you run when using these cards.
Some missing cards that are generically powerful that you could add are:
3 months ago
Hey, me again! I really like Breena, the Demagogue's premise. I want to build her in the future, since I'm cultivating a combat metagame. But I have some ideas that can make your deck funnier and stronger:
I imagine you're trying to keep the idea of giving gifts to your opponents for them to killing each other, while reaping benefits to you.
One way is to force combat. You might want to put Martial Impetus and Parasitic Impetus back to deflect attacks and get draws off Breena. (Too bad goad is a blue-red thing - come on Wizards, give us on other colors). Otherwise, they buff Breena to hit harder.
Another thing you should consider is protection for your creatures:
- Sejiri Shelter Flip and Malakir Rebirth Flip can be slotted as lands.
- Lightning Greaves, Swiftfoot Boots, Whispersilk Cloak, Darksteel Plate and Hammer of Nazahn are great utility artifacts.
- Timely Ward has flash.
- Dawn Charm doubles as a fog.
- Valorous Stance doubles as a removal spell.
How about protection to you?
- No Mercy, Dread, Michiko Konda, Truth Seeker and Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts deter attackers.
- Koskun Falls is a second Ghostly Prison if you can pay its upkeep cost. Solitary Confinement is even more efficient, as long as you can keep up with its cost.
- No one will mess with you again once you cast Hellish Rebuke. Darien, King of Kjeldor also shows them why attacking you is not advisable.
- If you prefer the way of taxing opponents, Sphere of Safety synergize with your other pillowfort enchantments.
- You run a lot of permanents that might die. How about getting them back with Sun Titan or Emeria Shepherd?
- Mistveil Plains has good synergy with tutors.
- Liesa, Forgotten Archangel also acts as graveyard hate.
About card draw:
- Breena costs 3 mana and it is easy to recast, but you can't rely on your opponents wanting (or being able) to attack each other. Sign in Blood, Night's Whisper, Read the Bones, Treacherous Blessing, War Room and Castle Locthwain can be great options (it is good to lower your life total to trigger Breena). Erebos, God of the Dead can also act as a blocker and life-gain hater.
- Skullclamp is good if you can reliably generate X/1 tokens.
- Syphon Mind is a favorite of mine.
- Mangara, the Diplomat... The name says it all. #bffBreena
- Shadrix Silverquill is not only on-theme, but on-school aswell.
- Endless Atlas and Dread Presence require many basic lands.
- The cards above can replace Ambition's Cost, Ancient Craving and Secret Rendezvous (if they want free cards, may they attack each other).
About your ramp:
- I see you run cards that ramp you if an opponent has more lands than you, a la Knight of the White Orchid. Your Lotus Field is great for setting that up. You might also consider putting Orzhov Basilica back for the same effect.
- Loyal Warhound, Verge Rangers, Weathered Wayfarer, Archaeomancer's Map and Isolated Watchtower also capitalize on opponents ramping. I recommend replacing Boreas Charger (if you can't kill it easily), Scholarship Sponsor (not advisable to give ramp AND card draw to your opponents) and Oreskos Explorer (it is better to get lands on the battlefield instead of on hand, unless it is an unrestricted tutor like Weathered Wayfarer).
- If you ramp using the cards above, you will have a lot of Plains on the battlefield. Emeria, The Sky Ruin is free recursion on a land - enjoy ;-)
- You might also consider Fellwar Stone and Dowsing Dagger Flip as ramp options. Breena has flying, so it is easy to transform the artifact.
Sorry for not commenting on your whole deck. Since I have not played her myself, I could only suggest more general things. I hope the suggestions have inspired you somehow. As always, have fun with the Demagogue!
3 months ago
I'm already on board! Kamigawa Sagas are going to be a gnarly addition to this!
Have you thought about Stony Silence to get under some skin, you can always get rid of it in a pinch!? If not Forging the Tyrite Sword can grab Illusionist's Bracers for double recursion! Daxos the Returned could be fun here as his tokens are enchantments! Solitary Confinement seems like a sweet combat trick AND a discard outlet!
Also Moon-Blessed Cleric and other soft tutors could be cool!
I'm glad to see one of my favorite users come up with a really sweet deck idea! I will be watching this VERY closely.
Hope you're well! -GoldenDiggle
3 months ago
I have Mind Over Matter in another deck of mine, it might be too strong for what i want with Kwain.
Illusionist's Bracers is a maybe the price is a little high for a card I don't already have.
I like Psychic Possession I have to test if it needs more card draw.
Chakram Retriever I'm not a fan the mana cost is to high at 5 I think.
Smothering Tithe too expensive.