At the beginning of your upkeep, if an opponent controls more lands than you, you may search your library for up to three basic land cards, reveal them, put them into your hand, then shuffle your library.
|Have (2)||, WillofForce|
|Want (8)||BetoJohnSon , Ender666666 , PooChooTrain , Mika652 , vaelroth , Cronosian , Davroth , Eudaemoniac|
Printings View all
|Battlebond (BBD)||Mythic Rare|
|Masters Edition III (ME3)||Rare|
|Battle Royale Box Set (BRB)||Uncommon|
|Fourth Edition (4ED)||Rare|
|4th Edition Foreign Black Border (4EDFBB)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Land Tax occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.07%
WB (Orzhov): 0.62%
WU (Azorius): 1.32%
Land Tax Discussion
6 days ago
I don't want to lose low CMC creatures (CMC < 3), because, honestly, they're the reason I never really have mana problems. However, I don't know which bigger creatures I could spare more than others. I'm already looking at swapping out Grave Titan to be replaced by Kessig Cagebreakers, and next on the chopping block would be Polukranos, Unchained. But really, I wouldn't want to go down to too few big creatures if I was replacing them with the mana production necessary to cast them faster. It seems counterproductive.
I know it's how the pros play, and I'm not saying I know better than the standard practice. I also know that I've been in a lot of games, albeit with other decks, where late-game I'm drawing mana rocks and land, like "man, I wish I would have put more creatures and such in this deck." Besides the 32 lands, I have 2 land fetch spells, 4 rocks, 5 creatures that produce mana, and Black Market and Smothering Tithe. That's 45 cards out of 100 dedicated to mana production. Nearly half the deck.
I'm going to place the suggestions I'm going for into the maybe board. Please do tell me what you would take out for them.
1 week ago
You've got Avacyn's Pilgrim, which is good fixing and ramp, and Sol Ring, so that's a good start. Some more good 1-2 mana ramp would speed you up: Selesnya Signet, Wild Growth, Fertile Ground, etc.
Secondly, more lands. I steer clear of lands that ETB tapped, and I never slot in less than 36 lands. Oracle of Mul Daya would be pure fire if you increased your land count. Maybe even as high as 38+.
If you replace the tap lands with basics and Evolving Wilds/Terramorphic Expanse, you open up a couple possibilities: 1) Land Tax, 2) Karametra + Whitemane Lion/Kor Skyfisher combo, and 3) Ramunap Excavator + Wayward Swordtooth fetchland loop (also works with Oracle).
Lastly, take a hard look at your card draw. I didn't look real hard, but I didn't notice much. Rishkar's Expertise, Soul's Majesty, Huatli, Radiant Champion, maybe Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury since she's also more ramp.... Beast Whisperer, Colossal Majesty, and Drumhunter all have a similar vibe to Elemental Bond.
Best of luck!
1 week ago
Ooh, reanimator. Some thoughts about the deck:
- You may not be playing enough lands/mana sources, even if you're not having so many mana troubles like you say, considering that your curve peaks at around CMC 3-4. I normally aim for 34 minimum. If you have access to Mana Crypt, Mox Diamond, and/or Chrome Mox, I'd definitely run one or more of those. (Mox Tantalite could be a good back-up if needed.) Otherwise, maybe upping your land count to 34 or so would probably help, or throwing in things like Land Tax and Sylvan Library to help you find your land cards. (Smothering Tithe, as you said, is a great ramp spell... but you need the lands to cast it!) Other lands I could see as good additions are Murmuring Bosk and Eiganjo Castle.
- While your white is a splash, Thalia's Lancers is a fairly good tutor for your legendary stuff (and you have quite a bit of it!). In terms of tutors, I could suggest Entomb.
- Apart from the gold standard Reanimate and Animate Dead, a possibly interesting reanimation spell that might work in your deck is Living Death (and especially in a combo with Grave Pact!). You could also look into Journey to Eternity Flip, which gives you a repeatable reanimation effect (in land form!).
- For other kill spells, in your colors, Vindicate or Pernicious Deed are the ones that immediately come to mind.
1 week ago
2 weeks ago
If you want to take this deck to the next level, you should consider the following cards:
- Sensei's Divining Top
- Deafening Silence/Eidolon of Rhetoric/Rule of Law and Defense Grid: to slow down storm- and spellslinger-decks, to deny cardadvantage/ramp and to protect yourself against control and combodecks
- Lapse of Certainty/Mana Tithe/Burnout nobody expects white counters
- Your deck is lacking carddraw! Wheel of Fortune, Painful Truths, Necropotence, Heartwarming Redemption, Phyrexian Arena, Night's Whisper, Azra Oddsmaker & Dark Confidant (/Sign in Blood/Dawn of Hope)
- Toxic Deluge/Fire Covenant/Darksteel Mutation/Vandalblast/Grasp of Fate/Fiery Confluence(/Austere Command/Crush Contraband/Forsake the Worldly) - these are really good removals
- All the Moxes like Mox Opal, Mox Diamond etc.
- Lotus Petal, Rite of Flame to play your commanders on Turn 2
- Play some of the good 2 mana rocks like Orzhov Signet or Talisman of Conviction
- Land Tax & Wayfarer's Bauble (if you run enough basic lands, like now)
- Smothering Tithe - THE white staple and especially good with Wheel effects
- Imperial Recruiter, Recruiter of the Guard, Gamble or Diabolic Intent
- Play Stax to keep your opponents in check! Rest in Peace, Aura of Silence, Trinisphere, Cursed Totem, Hushbringer/Torpor Orb & Stranglehold
3 weeks ago
Seal Away, Unbreakable Formation, Serenity, Pariah (give to anything with indestructible), Leyline of Sanctity, Land Tax, Ghostly Prison, Authority of the Consuls, Demystify, Erase, Path to Exile, Eight-and-a-Half-Tails, Anguished Unmaking, Boros Charm, Generous Gift, Lapse of Certainty, Teferi's Protection, Utter End, Wild Ricochet, Merciless Eviction, Crackling Doom, Despark, Utter End
3 weeks ago
Hey, nice version of Avacyn, but do you really need all those other Angels?
Smothering Tithe is fantastic repeatable ramp for mono white in multiplayer Commander. Lyra Dawnbringer has very good interaction with Resplendent Angel; repeatable Angels with lifelink. Rather than play lots of other Angels consider more pillowfort? The problem with mono white is you want a lot of turns to get going since Avacyn is eight mana. You want a very good opening hand with ramp, but if you don't get that then having ways to slow your opponents down can help.
Other cards to consider adding:
- Luminarch Ascension
- Land Tax
- Blind Obedience
- Aura of Silence
- Ghostly Prison and/or Windborn Muse
- Rule of Law and/or Eidolon of Rhetoric
- Linvala, Keeper of Silence
- Aven Mindcensor
- Hushbringer and/or Hushwing Gryff
- Spirit of the Labyrinth
- Rest in Peace
- Heliod's Intervention
- Hour of Revelation
Cards to consider cutting:
- Unquestioned Authority
- Angel of Condemnation
- Angel of Finality
- Angel of the Dire Hour
- Exquisite Archangel
- Angel of Grace
- Guardian of the Gateless
- Resolute Archangel
- Segovian Angel
- Sunblast Angel
Good luck with your deck.
4 weeks ago
Hi there! Welcome to the Legion!
Since you are new I must tell you about some very basic deckbuilding fundamentals.
- 36 lands
- 10 Ramp
- 10 Draw
Long Story: Command Zone episode on deckbuilding templates
So let's talk about draw and ramp, the two most important and fundamental aspects of the game. Every deck needs them. and Boros is not particularly good at it. That said, we've got some solid options. Ramp first. I like to focus on 2cmc because it has the best $ to usefulness ratio. I can't comment on all of them, pick according to your budget.
- Sol Ring - every commander deck will have one of these
- Talisman of Conviction
- Arcane Signet
- Fellwar Stone
- Boros Signet
- Sword of the Animist - perfect for casting a equipping around your 3cmc commander
- Mind Stone - also bad draw
- Wayfarer's Bauble
- Coldsteel Heart
- Dockside Extortionist - expensive ritual
- Commander's Sphere - also okay draw
- Coalition Relic
- Myriad Landscape - goes in the land base
Draw: You need to draw into the spells you want to play. Here's how. Again pick based on budget.
- Humble Defector - political tool
- Light Up the Stage
- Ignite the Future
- Tectonic Reformation (Land Tax)
- Knollspine Dragon - dragon synergy
- Tome of Legends - great with two commanders
- Outpost Siege
- Wheel of Fortune - you can see Boros weakness in draw showing here, we have to resort to wheels
- Reforge the Soul
- Magus of the Wheel
Over deck thoughts:
You want dragons and knights. Start cutting all else.
Dump Sunforger. It's a distraction.
That's all for now. Let me know if you have any questions.