Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Mangara, the Diplomat
Legendary Creature — Human Cleric
Whenever an opponent attacks you and/or a planeswalker you control with two or more creatures, draw a card.
Whenever an opponent casts their second spell each turn, draw a card.
Recommendations View more recommendations
1 month ago
I've tried to keep this deck nearly 50% White and 50% Red.
I've narrowed the premise of this deck down to the following categories, 50 Cards to the first, and 10 cards to each other category, give or take.
50% of the Deck is the Commander, Land, Mana rocks, and Draw.
10% is Steal/Keep
10% is Removal/Wipe
10% is Bringing Cards Back
10% is Brion Fodder and Fetch cards
10% is Double Damage and Powerful Flyers
Your comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated. That being said, I will probably not be able to afford the more expensive cards Land Tax, Smothering Tithe, Lifeline, Smuggler's Share etc. that are not already in this deck. However - It's still fun to check them out! If you like it, up vote!
With this revision, I've cut many of the fancier, slower dual lands to opt for faster basic lands. I've also added Weathered Wayfarer.
I've made some recent changes to this deck, hopefully to address that mid game I am struggling with tempo, as well as running out of mana to cast the creature or steal spell and have enough to activate Brion's ability. Some cards like Deathrender and Thornbite Staff have been removed (even though they were good in concept) to add more playability.
Fiery Emancipation gives me triple damage. Calamity Bearer works specifically to Brion's sac ability. Angrath's Marauders, Gisela, Blade of Goldnight, Gratuitous Violence all make the damage I do twice as effective.
When creatures I steal die, Stalking Vengeance beefs them. When I summon large creatures into play Warstorm Surge deals damage to my opponent, and when I sac those, Stalking Vengeance hits them on the way out.
Malignus, Serra Avatar, and Soul of Eternity all act as giant bombs to throw at the opponent.
Hofri Ghostforge allows for me to steal an opponents creature, fling it at them with brion, and then keep a spirit copy of that creature.
Magus of the Wheel and Reforge the Soul provide the opportunity to get a fresh hand at my whim. Humble Defector is an easy and fun, card that helps me forge alliances with other players in multiplayer while getting me TWO extra cards per turn.
Skullclamp works perfect with the sacrifice ability and is easy to cast.
Well of Lost Dreams is insane when played late game for Brion's lifelink ability and can be fetched with Hoarding Dragon or Open the Armory Sin Prodder gives me a potential extra card per turn, or the chance for an opponent to take damage to the face... and then I can pull it out of my graveyard later with my other cards! Basically a win/win. Mangara, the Diplomat and Mila, Crafty Companion Flip serve to deter attacks and draw.
Hoarding Dragon serves as a flyer, a sacrifice, and can grab any rocks, Skullclamp, or Well of Lost Dreams.
Open the Armory helps grab Skullclamp, Well of Lost Dreams, or Gift of Immortality.
Recruiter of the Guard is specifically to get Bazaar Trader for the huge advantage of keeping my opponents things, but can also grab Duergar Hedge-Mage for removal or Sin Prodder (amongst a few others). Weathered Wayfarer can grab any land, such as Buried Ruin or Arcane Lighthouse.
Archon of Justice is quite powerful in this deck, as it allows for a flying creature, then a source to sac, and remove a card permanently.
Angel of Serenity gives me the option of 3 recursion or 3 removal.
Duergar Hedge-Mage can be played and replayed in this deck for knocking off annoying enchantments or mana rocks.
Magus of the Disk is one of the board wipes.
Grasp of Fate, Oblivion Ring, and Banishing Light all allow for really flexible removal. Same for Quarantine Field except allows for extra targets for more mana. Chained to the Rocks works the same, but only for creatures. Angel of Sanctions works similarly, but is a creature. Ryusei, the Falling Star really just acts as weenie removal and a sac source from a flyer.
Bringing them Back (and sometimes keep it!):
Adarkar Valkyrie Sac an opponents creature, then get it permanently!
Bazaar Trader Take it with a steal and keep it!
Angelic Renewal Sac my own creature, get it back! Gift of Immortality Sac my own creature, get it back... again, and again!
Emeria Shepherd play a land, get a card! Play a Plains, get a creature to sac!
Mistmoon Griffin Flys, defends, and sac-able, then get back a creature from the graveyard!
Squee's Embrace fun and easy to play, and retrievable with Tragic Poet.
Tragic Poet, a low mana cost creature to get any enchantment in my deck back for any reason. Fun with Squee's Embrace, Angelic Renewal, etc. Returned Pastcaller a flyer that lets me grab a Threaten or Breath of Life. Angel of Serenity gives me the option of 3 recursion or 3 removal.
Stealing their Creatures:
Captivating Crew steals every turn! No wasted card space here, just a reusable sorcery.
Conquering Manticore powerful flyer, that steals!
Zealous Conscripts You can steal anything! Anything! Lands? Mine. Artifacts? Mine. Works great with Bazaar Trader.
Act of Treason, Portent of Betrayal, and Threaten are all basic steal spells.
Malevolent Whispers, Mark of Mutiny, and Traitorous Instinct all give me steal with buffs for Flinging.
Harness by Force allows for more than one thing to be taken if the extra cost is paid!
2 months ago
Here are a few cards that kinda fit what you're asking for:
Mangara, the Diplomat kinda counts?
Ever-Watching Threshold same category as mangara
2 months ago
I have a secondary version of this deck focused on mass token generation. To get this deck, swap out the cards listed in the Maybeboard section for the following:
3 months ago
The first three creatures we removed and added were all for efficiency and synergy, as I feel the added creatures are just plain better in this deck that what they replaced.
However, specifically, we took out Godo, Bandit Warlord (even though it kinda hurt), because it really only creates an extra attack for Samurai. We could, however, just not attack with some creatures and save them for the 2nd attack phase Godo would generate, but that doesn't feel efficient and stops our commander from doing what he's here to do. Seeing that we do not have as many Samurai as I initially was hoping for this deck (pitifully few, honestly), Godo just doesn't do very much work here.
In it's place we add in Mangara, the Diplomat, and in a multi-player game we can hopefully generate a bunch of card draw would be fantastic for us. Maybe it won't live long, but that can be said for just about anything, and we never have to actually with him to create the card advantage. Remember, Isshin, Two Heavens as One's ability can double ANY attacking trigger, even if that attacker isn't controlled by us, so long as the actual trigger does belong to us.
5 months ago
Made a few tweaks...
I still want to have a few bombs in the deck, but taking a couple of the high cost angels out in favour of draw options + a few more efficient but on theme pieces may help the game plan.
5 months ago
Forkbeard glad some of my suggestions where useful. I agree Giada, Font of Hope is an auto include in any angel tribal deck. She might even do better as the commander. Honestly I had a Lyra Dawnbringer angel deck awhile back but it was to slow and it always struggled in most games so I took it apart. I recently made a Giada, Font of Hope deck Angels on High, which I am hoping to try out once I get all the new cards in but in play testing on here it is still running into consistancy problems. Issue I find with Giada, Font of Hope as the commander is a lot of the angel payoff cards require you to gain life (IE. Speaker of the Heavens, Angelic Accord, etc.) but, many games I would never draw into any of my lifegain cards so the payoff cards would either sit in hand or on the board doing nothing. I also still feel white is lacking behind on the card draw front as most of the card draw requires us to pay insane amounts of mana just to draw a single card (looking at you Dawn of Hope and, Endless Atlas). Thankfully it sounds like Wizards is slowly giving white mana free card draw abilities like the other 4 colors with new cards like, Mangara, the Diplomat, Welcoming Vampire and, Esper Sentinel. Who knows maybe in a few years white will be able to stand on its own two legs like the other 4 color and, not have to rely on janky artifacts for our card draw.
5 months ago
So I am really digging this deck but, I see you have the same issue that most mono white decks have which is card draw. A few cards that you might want to consider to help on the draw front are, Sigarda's Splendor, Cosmos Elixir, Rogue's Gloves and,Mask of Memory. I have personally found the last two equipments work really well in my angel deck as your creatures already have evasion.
From the creature front here are a few creatures I would condsider adding:
- Speaker of the Heavens Not an angel but a really strong one drop in a deck like this.
- Serra Avenger is a super strong two drop angel and would help to lower your overall curve.
- Angel of Finality is really good graveyard hate against graveyard decks.
- Angel of Jubilation is not only an anthem for this deck but will shutdown any aristocrats strategy.
- Herald of War can be a good option to help lower your mana cost in this deck if you can find ways to reliably give it +1/+1 counters.
- Radiant, Archangel don't sleep on this card because she get +1/+1 for each other creature with flying on the battlefield. Radiant can quickly become a 10/10 or bigger with little effort from you. The vigilance is icing on the cake.
- Angelic Skirmisher is better than she looks because you get to choose which ability you give your creatures each combat.
- Angel of Vitality would be a really strong angel in your deck. Not only will she be a 3 mana 4/4 angel most games but she also will make every source in your deck that gains you life gain you an additional life. That extra lifegain will add up really fast.
A few other cards you might want to consider:
- Basilisk Collar is a cheap equipment that gives Lyra Deathtouch. Deathtouth and First Strike are a really good combo and would stop people from attacking into your board if Lyra is untapped.
- Bonders' Enclave basically a second War Room in your deck.
- Path of Ancestry you are in a tribal deck so why not scry when you play your angels?
- Ajani, Strength of the Pride don't think of him as a planeswalker in your deck, most cases he is going to be a 4 mana onesided boardwipe. Even if you can't ultimate him as soon as he comes down the other two abilities are still very relevant in your deck.
- Sword of the Animist is a really strong card in general but, in this deck it can become consistant ramp.
- Keeper of the Accord if you have never played with him he can quickly pull you back into the game if you have been missing land drops. I have had games where I play him and by my next turn I have 3 additional plains in play. Plus the first ability that makes tokens can make relevant blockers.
- Mangara, the Diplomat is really good white card draw plus he has the bonus of having lifelink which is useful in this deck.
- Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire replace a plains with this card. At worst it is a plains but, othertimes it can become a clutch removal spell.
- Emeria's Call Flip I would replace one of your plains with this card as well. At worst it is a plains that you have to pay 3 life to have it come in untapped but, when you don't need the land it is a 7 mana make two 4/4 angels which is pure upside in this deck.
- Starnheim Unleashed at worst this is a 4 mana Serra Angel which is already a better rate than a lot of your angels in this deck but, if you Foretell it then this card can single handedly win you the game.
Lastly you have a lot of 7 and 8 mana drop angels in this deck and unless they are actively winning you the game as soon as they come down then I would consider removing them. Think about it, for the same mana as Akroma, Angel of Wrath I could play Insurrection which can win me the game as soon as the spell resolves. That being said Insurrection is not even a spell that I actively play due to it costing so much mana. Just food for thought as I would personally consider removing some of your bigger angels for some of the lower costed angels I listed above as it would help to smooth out your curve and make your games more consistent.
Still really cool deck!
5 months ago
Looking at this deck I feel like it is very aggressive with lots of creatures. Definitely going for the game plan of disrupting opponent's spells and spamming the board with humans. It does feel a little odd that you have Collected Company in here as you only have a total of 6 lands that would let you cast it. With that said, I have a suspicion that you do not really get to play it often due to that. It also feels odd that you would run 4xAether Vial with Collected Company as you already have a way to flash in creatures. I would recommend removing the 2xCollected Company and getting in some draw potential to hit more with the Aether Vials. Maybe running a few copies of Esper Sentinel, Mentor of the Meek, or Mangara, the Diplomat would serve you better.