Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Mangara, the Diplomat
Legendary Creature — Human Cleric
Whenever an opponent attacks you and/or a planeswalker you control with two or more creatures, draw a card.
Whenever an opponent casts their second spell each turn, draw a card.
Recommendations View more recommendations
4 weeks ago
Made a few tweaks...
I still want to have a few bombs in the deck, but taking a couple of the high cost angels out in favour of draw options + a few more efficient but on theme pieces may help the game plan.
1 month ago
Forkbeard glad some of my suggestions where useful. I agree Giada, Font of Hope is an auto include in any angel tribal deck. She might even do better as the commander. Honestly I had a Lyra Dawnbringer angel deck awhile back but it was to slow and it always struggled in most games so I took it apart. I recently made a Giada, Font of Hope deck Angels on High, which I am hoping to try out once I get all the new cards in but in play testing on here it is still running into consistancy problems. Issue I find with Giada, Font of Hope as the commander is a lot of the angel payoff cards require you to gain life (IE. Speaker of the Heavens, Angelic Accord, etc.) but, many games I would never draw into any of my lifegain cards so the payoff cards would either sit in hand or on the board doing nothing. I also still feel white is lacking behind on the card draw front as most of the card draw requires us to pay insane amounts of mana just to draw a single card (looking at you Dawn of Hope and, Endless Atlas). Thankfully it sounds like Wizards is slowly giving white mana free card draw abilities like the other 4 colors with new cards like, Mangara, the Diplomat, Welcoming Vampire and, Esper Sentinel. Who knows maybe in a few years white will be able to stand on its own two legs like the other 4 color and, not have to rely on janky artifacts for our card draw.
1 month ago
So I am really digging this deck but, I see you have the same issue that most mono white decks have which is card draw. A few cards that you might want to consider to help on the draw front are, Sigarda's Splendor, Cosmos Elixir, Rogue's Gloves and,Mask of Memory. I have personally found the last two equipments work really well in my angel deck as your creatures already have evasion.
From the creature front here are a few creatures I would condsider adding:
- Speaker of the Heavens Not an angel but a really strong one drop in a deck like this.
- Serra Avenger is a super strong two drop angel and would help to lower your overall curve.
- Angel of Finality is really good graveyard hate against graveyard decks.
- Angel of Jubilation is not only an anthem for this deck but will shutdown any aristocrats strategy.
- Herald of War can be a good option to help lower your mana cost in this deck if you can find ways to reliably give it +1/+1 counters.
- Radiant, Archangel don't sleep on this card because she get +1/+1 for each other creature with flying on the battlefield. Radiant can quickly become a 10/10 or bigger with little effort from you. The vigilance is icing on the cake.
- Angelic Skirmisher is better than she looks because you get to choose which ability you give your creatures each combat.
- Angel of Vitality would be a really strong angel in your deck. Not only will she be a 3 mana 4/4 angel most games but she also will make every source in your deck that gains you life gain you an additional life. That extra lifegain will add up really fast.
A few other cards you might want to consider:
- Basilisk Collar is a cheap equipment that gives Lyra Deathtouch. Deathtouth and First Strike are a really good combo and would stop people from attacking into your board if Lyra is untapped.
- Bonders' Enclave basically a second War Room in your deck.
- Path of Ancestry you are in a tribal deck so why not scry when you play your angels?
- Ajani, Strength of the Pride don't think of him as a planeswalker in your deck, most cases he is going to be a 4 mana onesided boardwipe. Even if you can't ultimate him as soon as he comes down the other two abilities are still very relevant in your deck.
- Sword of the Animist is a really strong card in general but, in this deck it can become consistant ramp.
- Keeper of the Accord if you have never played with him he can quickly pull you back into the game if you have been missing land drops. I have had games where I play him and by my next turn I have 3 additional plains in play. Plus the first ability that makes tokens can make relevant blockers.
- Mangara, the Diplomat is really good white card draw plus he has the bonus of having lifelink which is useful in this deck.
- Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire replace a plains with this card. At worst it is a plains but, othertimes it can become a clutch removal spell.
- Emeria's Call Flip I would replace one of your plains with this card as well. At worst it is a plains that you have to pay 3 life to have it come in untapped but, when you don't need the land it is a 7 mana make two 4/4 angels which is pure upside in this deck.
- Starnheim Unleashed at worst this is a 4 mana Serra Angel which is already a better rate than a lot of your angels in this deck but, if you Foretell it then this card can single handedly win you the game.
Lastly you have a lot of 7 and 8 mana drop angels in this deck and unless they are actively winning you the game as soon as they come down then I would consider removing them. Think about it, for the same mana as Akroma, Angel of Wrath I could play Insurrection which can win me the game as soon as the spell resolves. That being said Insurrection is not even a spell that I actively play due to it costing so much mana. Just food for thought as I would personally consider removing some of your bigger angels for some of the lower costed angels I listed above as it would help to smooth out your curve and make your games more consistent.
Still really cool deck!
1 month ago
Looking at this deck I feel like it is very aggressive with lots of creatures. Definitely going for the game plan of disrupting opponent's spells and spamming the board with humans. It does feel a little odd that you have Collected Company in here as you only have a total of 6 lands that would let you cast it. With that said, I have a suspicion that you do not really get to play it often due to that. It also feels odd that you would run 4xAether Vial with Collected Company as you already have a way to flash in creatures. I would recommend removing the 2xCollected Company and getting in some draw potential to hit more with the Aether Vials. Maybe running a few copies of Esper Sentinel, Mentor of the Meek, or Mangara, the Diplomat would serve you better.
1 month ago
@IHATENAMES - I agree that I could use more interaction. I've cut boardwipes right now as more of an experiment but I could use more targeted removal.
Card draw I've been happy with but I'm always after suggestions if you have something not listed below in mind? I run 8 cards that draw, 3 that exile stuff for me to play, and 4 of the best tutors for redundancy. I currently run Esper Sentinel, Mangara, the Diplomat, Twilight Prophet, Tymna the Weaver, Welcoming Vampire, Necropotence, Phyrexian Arena, and Skullclamp for draw and Tectonic Giant, Jeska's Will, and Cunning Rhetoric for play from exile.
1 month ago
Love it! I keep thinking of cards to suggest, but keep seeing them already there.
Don't know if Coalition Flag would be a good fit or not, but worth considering.
Also, you need more draw. Mangara, the Diplomat and Esper Sentinel come readily to mind, but there might be better for this deck. Maybe Garruk's Uprising, but I'd have to see the deck in action to tell how much value you'd get out of it.
2 months ago
Thank you for the suggestions Last_Laugh, I appreciate them. I have considered most of the cards you suggested here. At the very least, I may need one more repeatable draw effect, but I am still determining what feels best as a I play the deck. Here are my thoughts on your suggestions:
Esper Sentinel - I currently own one copy, which I'm utilizing in my Osgir, the Reconstructor deck. I think Osgir and the artifact synergies there can make a bit more use out of Esper Sentinel. Even in the games I've played Sentinel in that deck, it hasn't felt like much of a deterrent beyond Turn 3, and my play group usually pays the , unless I have multiple Sentinel copies out, thanks to Osgir.
Strionic Resonator - I can definitely see the utility for it, but to me it feels a bit "win more". In the games I've played so far, I haven't really felt like I was lacking for attack triggers. I could see it being like a "backup" Isshin in some cases, but haven't had much issue with Isshin being a removal target yet. I'm also not a fan of paying into activated abilities if I don't have to. I prefer to leave at least 1-3 mana up for instant speed interaction/removal once I can afford to do so.
Tilonalli's Summoner - Similarly to Strionic Resonator, I left this out of initial drafts of my deck because I didn't want to pay mana into an activated ability, when I could be leaving that mana open for removal/interaction. Pacing wise, it also feels awkward to me: Turn 2 Tilonalli's Summoner, Turn 3 cast Isshin but won't have mana for summoner, Turn 4 swing with the Summoner and pump it but not have mana for any of the cool options in the 4 mana spots. I think most of the Token producers already in the deck can produce 2-6 tokens when Isshin is on board, and 1-3 without.
Mardu Ascendancy - It's a fun card that I have considered as another token generator, and as a one time defensive buff. I have excluded it so far because I generally like the other token producers I have a bit better. I also have a weird personal rule for 3 color decks, where the commander is the only spell with all 3 colors. Even with a well-balanced manabase, I don't want many other multi-color spells ever falling risk to not being able to cast them.
Twilight Prophet - I have a copy and used to run it in a Token/Artistocrats Alesha, Who Smiles at Death build. So I recently removed Phyrexian Arena and Mangara, the Diplomat from this deck. Mangara wasn't much of a deterrent, and my friends either attacked me with 1 creature, or only played 1 spell per turn to get around his clauses. I removed Arena because its pacing felt too clunky for the deck, and didn't feel great to play beyond turn 4-5, when I'd have to wait an entire turn rotation to get 1 extra card. During turns 2-3, Arena felt like it competed with ramp, early 2 drop creatures, or getting Isshin online Turn 3. To me, Twilight Prophet feels somewhere in between Phyrexian Arena and Mangara in terms of pacing and effect. Twilight Prophet has a decent ceiling for extra draw and hurting my opponents, but is dependent on having a sizeable board state for Ascend, and protecting that board state. Knowing my play group's tendency to boardwipe and whittle down growing boards and having played Twilight Prophet before, I don't think it will be super viable, but I'll keep it in mind.
I'm generally a fan of the draw effects I currently have like Night's Whisper, Plumb the Forbidden, and deadly Deadly Dispute because they are reliable and can scale in some cases. I'm not super worried about draw because my play group has a house rule where the person going last in turn order becomes The Monarch at the end of their 3rd turn.
2 months ago
Thanks for the suggestions, I was already thinking about adding Ghostly Prison and Propaganda to the deck but I'll have to admit I didnt think about Mangara, the Diplomat. I'll have to see where i can fit them in.