Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|TCGPlayer.com Price||Cardhoarder (MTGO) Price|
|$0.02||$0.12||$0.6||$0.28||0.01 TIX||0.02 TIX|
|Have (28)||deatn1342 , Raistlin911822 , StrugglePeter , zombiefromfo , saj0219 , sweetaction , webdokkeren , Micen , Jernyman , trness , calaw00 , 9Breaker , XxCataclysmiCxX , ManOfTroy , zachi , ironax , Explotography , leftkeh , balchj , Gromvari , DarkPhoenixMishima , much-doge , anonymausguy , Timocalypse , Fatred , AzulHunter , Uskighte , Gregorio54|
Act of Treason Discussion
1 day ago
Hey, cool looking Marchesa deck!
One card that might be worth considering is Harness by Force in place of Act of Treason. For the same CMC it has the same effect, but if you have spare red mana then it can really take off. Admittedly it has double red in it's casting cost but that's not much of a drawback I wouldn't think.
1 week ago
That's incorrect, play 20 lands. And cut the Goblinslide they aren't worth a deck slot. Also cut the Act of Treason which will make room for 4x Stoke the Flames have you seen top 8 red deck lists lately? There really isn't much room for innovation out of that archeype. The list is kind of set in stone for the foreseeable future. Heres a stock list to get an idea of what the baseline top performing red decks actually look like
1 week ago
Zacoly, thanks for the +1, and thanks for the suggestions!
This deck is about as consistent as I think it can be. It has plenty of black mana sources and all of the early-game cards are black -- Bloodsoaked Champion, Black Cat, Grim Haruspex. The mana curve rolls out nicely, keeps tempo and usually leaves you with plenty of options a few turns in.
The number of 1-2 ofs might look inconsistent, but they're all thought out and at that number for a reason. Even if there's variety, all of the cards touch on the same themes -- sacrifice, death trigger, recursion, discard, burn. Some explanations:
- I only want one Dragonlord Kolaghan to top out my mana curve (and because I love her, personal thing).
- Only one Mogis, God of Slaughter because I really never want to draw two copies of him -- the deck doesn't revolve around him, but he's always nice to see.
- Only two Tymaret, the Murder King because he's legendary, but he often trades off in early-game combat, and has a graveyard effect, so a second copy isn't awful.
- Act of Treason is a two-of because it's a finisher. I want to play it after I have a sac outlet in place, and if it's successful I usually won't need a second -- plus, it's a bit too conditional to be more than a 2-of.
- 2x Deflecting Palm because it's also conditional.
- 2x Kolaghan's Command is there for utility, I actually wouldn't mind having a third just because of how versatile it is.
- 2x Collateral Damage is there mainly as a sack outlet in case I don't have one on the board, so I don't need to run a full set since it isn't there strictly for the burn -- the burn is great, but you can look at it as upside.
- The 1x Crackling Doom is a bit of a weird number, yeah, but it's really just there as an obligatory in a Mardu deck. It's doesn't particularly synergize with the rest of the build, it's just a strong card that comes in handy sometimes -- I have extra in the sideboard in case of serious hexproof threats or something, but honestly it doesn't do anything that this deck doesn't already do for me in other ways.
I'd be open to redesigning the land base to improve consistency -- it seems to work pretty well for me right now, but I do occasionally struggle to find a white mana, and the painlands can bite me in the ass sometimes. Having fewer white mana is a reason for avoiding too many copies of Crackling Doom, and the main reason I'm not running Return to the Ranks.
Going down to 2x on Dictate of Erebos is something that I've thought about pretty often -- it is a high-cmc card, and two copies on the field are usually redundant. But a second copy isn't necessarily bad, and the card is reallllllly good in this build. It wins games, and I want to see it in my hand. So I'm torn there. I might try going to two someday.
Gift of Immortality on a kitty would be hilarious and super annoying, I love that idea. I considered Gift when I first started building this deck, but I wrote it off for some reason and I haven't really gone back to it. It would curve perfectly, going in the turn after the kitty, then you could start abusing it with Butcher of the Horde on T4 to clear the opponent's hand. Sounds good! Just pulled a Mardu Ascendancy for it. Mardu Ascendancy is really handy sometimes, especially against aggro, and I like the devotion that it builds -- but like I said in the update, this deck seems to want to play defensively most of the time, and this card doesn't really fit that play style.
2 weeks ago
Thanks for the feedback! Sun Titan may find its way into the deck but I thought I didn't have enough food targets for recursion.
2 weeks ago
Allow me to explain that issue.
You pretty much just have to throw as much creatures down as you can and hope for the best!
2 weeks ago
So, I'm totally geeking out over this deck right now. Big fan. =D
I put a lot of though into making the sacrifice theme work in standard (for a lot of the same reasons: deviousness, mind games) and the deck that I came up with was in Mardu colors, based around Butcher of the Horde, Bloodsoaked Champion, Black Cat and a host of others. (You can find it here: Don't Kill the Kitty (updated for DTK!).)
Of course, that was built back when Khans was introduced -- I've been mulling over different approaches to the sacrifice theme since the exploit mechanic was spoiled, but I've been happy enough with my Mardu build that I haven't put any serious effort into it. And damnit, I don't need to, because you nailed it.
I love the Sidisi's Faithful / Mirror Mockery combo. I love all of the combos. I love that you were willing to take it into four colors. I love the sheer variety of cards in the build and how they all work so well together. This deck just looks like way too much fun.
So, that said, here are a few cards that came to mind looking at the list:
Bloodsoaked Champion. He's a HUGE enabler for a build like this. He goes down on turn one and you can sack him pretty much every single turn for the rest of the game. And, importantly, he's a nontoken creature, meaning he'll work with Athreos, God of Passage for maximum trolling potential. No one in their right minds would send a Bloodsoaked Champion to the graveyard for three life knowing he'll just be coming right back, meaning you get to play him and sack him over and over for just one mana. Plus, he works with Grim Haruspex, being a nontoken.
Secure the Wastes. Super useful sideboard tech. Gives you plenty of creatures to sack, plays at instant speed as a mana dump if you have a Prophet of Kruphix and fills your board back up if you get boardwiped, making it great against control. Plus, it works well with Sorin, Solemn Visitor's +1 ability.
Dragonlord Silumgar. Because stealing creatures to exploit is just fun. I do this with Act of Treason, but sadly, that's the one color this deck doesn't have. The upside of Silumgar (aside from the obvious, being a big deathtouch dragon and all): you can bounce it with Sidisi's Faithful to steal more creatures!
Black Cat. I know it was in the build originally, and I know it's a toss-up between the kitty and Palace Familiar, and I know the owl has flying, and I know card draw keeps this deck going, and I know that blue is probably the better choice of color for a cheap creature with your mana base. BUT. Black cat. Because Black Cat. It's better than it might seem in the early game since it catches people off guard -- it forces them to make a decision, and a lot of the time they decide not to attack into it, which really isn't a great move since you're ultimately going to sack it anyway. So it saves a lot of damage from coming your way. Plus, if the goal is to be mean and play mind games, then discard > card draw as the preferred means of gaining card advantage. Just something to think about! I am very much a biased source when it comes to this card.
2 weeks ago
Price of Glory makes blue players cry, i am a blue player...i cry when i see this hit the field. Especially when paired with Defense Grid, Norn's Annex, and Ghostly Prison. Also anything to pump tajic up is great Ring of Thune is really good with him and Madcap Skills is cheap and very good. i also agree Sunforger is very good, i also like to team tajic up with stuff that steals creatures like Zealous Conscripts, Traitorous Blood, Act of Treason, and Mark of Mutiny that way your battalion gets set off easier without even using one of your own creatures. Hero of Bladehold is also very good to set off battalion, and i like some smaller guys to help out too like Legion Loyalist...Brimaz, King of Oreskos of course sets off battalion nicely, and a cheaper way to do it is Thatcher Revolt. also try to take advantage of tajic's indestructible nature and use some board wipes Wrath of God, and Day of Judgment are always nice additions to any deck using white, while Legion's Initiative helps you save all your stuff during a board wipe. Field Marshal is also very good for tajic and assemble the legion.
|Avg. draft pick||7.28|
|Avg. cube pick||11.32|
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Khans of Tarkir||Common|
|Duel Decks: Speed vs. Cunning||Common|
|2012 Core Set||Common|
|2011 Core Set||Common|
|Duels of the Planeswalkers||Common|
|2010 Core Set||Uncommon|
- Act of Treason + Blood Bairn
- Act of Treason + Blood Bairn + Crypt Incursion
- Act of Treason + Barrage of Expendables + Blood Bairn
- Act of Treason + Launch Party
- Act of Treason + Barrage of Expendables
- Undercity Informer + Act of Treason
- Act of Treason + Akroan Conscriptor + Harness by Force
- Act of Treason + Bone Splinters
- Act of Treason + Cloudshift
- Act of Treason + Nantuko Husk
- Act of Treason + Rite of Consumption
- Act of Treason + Burnt Offering
- Act of Treason + Tendrils of Despair
- Act of Treason + Vampire Aristocrat
- Act of Treason + Rescue from the Underworld
- Act of Treason + Battlefield Thaumaturge
- Act of Treason + Scourge of Skola Vale
- Act of Treason + Life's Legacy
- Act of Treason + Altar of Dementia
- Act of Treason + Hour of Need
- Act of Treason + Curse of the Swine
- Act of Treason + Butcher of the Horde
- Act of Treason + Chasm Skulker
- Act of Treason + Tymaret, the Murder King
- Act of Treason + Momentous Fall
- Act of Treason + Infernal Plunge
- Act of Treason + Humble Defector
- Act of Treason + Marchesa, the Black Rose
- Act of Treason + Collateral Damage
- Act of Treason + Ugin's Construct
- Act of Treason + Descent of the Dragons
- Act of Treason + Demonic Appetite