Vault of Catlacan
(Transforms from Storm the Vault.)
T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
T: Add U to your mana pool for each artifact you control.
Printings View all
|Rivals of Ixalan (RIX)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Vault of Catlacan Discussion
5 months ago
Jace's Archivist would pair nicely with Narset, Parter of Veils but otherwise, looks out of place to me. Good card, just unsure if this is the right deck for it. Storm the Vault Flip is out of colors and would take Vault of Catlacan out. And Having Treasure Map Flip doesn't necessarily count as a land with Treasure Cove . In EDH I don't like to help my opponents unless I can guarantee that it would help me more. So I try not to play cards like Minds Aglow , Words of Wisdom , or Howling Mine . I have nothing against Venser's Journal , I would simply rather play it as a land with Reliquary Tower . If gaining 3 life wins you the game, then stick with Revitalize . Otherwise, I think there are more, better ways to use this card slot.
All in all, wonderful deck idea!
More thoughts: What do you think of Thopter Assembly and it's interaction with Time Sieve ? Maybe with Myr Battlesphere as well? Now that you're starting to narrow down on colors, what do you think of running Sen Triplets ? it was one of my favorites. I'm not seeing a Sol Ring was that intentional? All Is Dust may make a good field sweep for you. Master Transmuter will help in getting big stompy out earlier. Demonic Tutor , Vampiric Tutor , or the like would definitely help you get tools you need to your hand quickly.
I hope that helps.
1 year ago
2 years ago
I think the deck already has enough wincons, but I could see dropping one (maybe the 'go big' option, if Dinos shift out of the meta) and focusing on the go-wide options, with 4x Reckless Fireweaver. In a deck like that, 1x Brass's Bounty could be really fun.
Without manarocks and with all the tap effects taking TONS of mana, I'm not really sure what Paradox Engine would do here.
2 years ago
Makeshift Munitions could be hilarious. I'm not sure if the deck has enough mana to really make worthwhile, but it's definitely worth a try.
Tilonalli's Summoner is intriguing, but I don't think it would be a great fit in the current deck. That's partly because the deck is more about chump-blocking (until it can build up enough Modules and mana to combo off) while Summoner is all about attacking. But mostly because the deck doesn't have nearly enough mana to make the Summoner totally useful. Maybe in a more Aggro version though, especially one with Storm the Vault Flip → Vault of Catlacan ...
2 years ago
2 years ago
I tried to post this on Izzet modules but it wasn't working so I'm just dropping it on your wall ...
I've been testing with this list; here are some thoughts:
- I've been extremely impressed with Reckless Fireweaver and Aethersphere Harvester in the deck.
- I keep going back and forth on Energy and draw (via Shielded Aether Thief or Glimmer of Genius) vs. tutoring the exact combo piece needed (via Whir of Invention).
- I've found Metallic Mimic to be a little high-variance for my tastes.
- I just started testing Maverick Thopterist and Storm the Vault Flip (which is messed up her in T/O ... it flips to Vault of Catlacan), but they're both very good for sure.
2 years ago
Thanks so much! I really appreciate your inputs; you've given me a TON of things to think on and test! Here are some initial thoughts:
- In testing so far, there's almost always been something useful to do with Vault of Catlacan. Extra +1/+1 Counters and Servos from Animation Module for sure, but also huge Walking Ballistas, tutoring with Inventors' Fair, or block-then-bouncing Glint-Nest Crane or Whirler Virtuoso.
- Nezahal, Primal Tide is an intriguing option ... though The Locust God might be better in that kind of role. I'll have to check them out.
- Maverick Thopterist is worth looking at for sure ... not sure why I hadn't thought of him earlier!
- Yeah, I'm not sure about Metallic Mimic either. The card is pretty much terrible on its own, but it's just sooooo good with Animation Module (choosing Servo), Whirler Virtuoso (choosing Thopter), and especially Walking Ballista (since we can then tutor for it Whir of Invention after choosing Construct).
- The board definitely feels a little weird without some sweepers ... but so far, the deck hasn't really needed them (I found they often hurt me worse than my opp, plus it can just chump-block so effectively). But yeah, since we will almost certainly see more "can't be blocked", Trample, and Lifegain now, I probably need to just plan on it ...
2 years ago
Cool deck even though Energy is dead now ;). Mainboard, as you said, looks good. Is there a payoff for the Vault of Catlacan Mana or just being able to activate Animation Module a bunch? Perhaps Nezahal, Primal Tide as a payoff to bring in against control because it's big and looks fun :). I think Maverick Thopterist could be a consideration for the sideboard or even the main. Not sure about Metallic Mimic in the sideboard. You'll already he generating plenty of counters with your combo pieces unless you wanted to go really tall and wide I suppose but not sure what that buys you. I'd consider a boardwipe for any potential unblockable/big Mana trample decks that might pop up in the new standard. This deck looks great at clogging up the ground, air and sea unless the opponent is running one of the aforementioned strategies. I've always loved the modules and all the synergies, and who doesn't love a good infinite combo!? Best of luck and happy brewing!