|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|2011 Core Set (M11)||Common|
|Duels of the Planeswalkers (DPA)||Common|
|2010 Core Set (M10)||Common|
|Duel Decks: Divine vs. Demonic (DDC)||Common|
|Tenth Edition (10E)||Common|
|Ninth Edition (9ED)||Common|
|Eighth Edition (8ED)||Common|
|Seventh Edition (7ED)||Common|
|Fifth Edition (5ED)||Common|
|Fourth Edition (4ED)||Common|
|Revised Edition (3ED)||Common|
|Unlimited Edition (2ED)||Common|
|Collector's Edition (CED)||Common|
|International Collector's Edition (CEI)||Common|
|Limited Edition Beta (LEB)||Common|
|Limited Edition Alpha (LEA)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Enchantment — Aura
Enchanted creature gets +2/+1.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Unholy Strength Discussion
DrK4ZE on The Plague
2 weeks ago
You could improve it a lot just by optimizing the cards you have. For example, all your hand disruption cards can be replaced with a combination of Thoughtseize, Inquisition of Kozilek, or even Collective Brutality. Researching, and finding the best version of each card can go a long way to improving any deck. Unfortunately, better cards tend to be more expensive, but if you can afford it you'll notice the difference.
Finally, as a general deck building rule for beginners: to start a deck out pick 9 cards that you'd like to base the deck around. Run 4 of each, + 24 lands and BAM deck. From there you can shuffle things around a bit (fewer high drops more low drops/more lands or less lands/Varying your removal). This helps trim the fat, creates a consistent deck, and gives you a nice starting point.
- Plague Stinger
- Unnatural Endurance
- Grotesque Mutation
- Victim of Night
- Molting Snakeskin
- Unholy Strength or Dark Favor
- 24 Swamp
Do your research, test it out, keep what works toss what doesn't. Always glad to see new players. Best of luck!
3 weeks ago
First thing, your deck is in standard, but you're not playing standard legal cards. I assume you meant modern? You should change it.
your deck has some really expensive cards for an infect deck. Black gets access to a few proliferate cards.
Replace Spread the Sickness with 4x Grim Affliction. You put on the counter, then proliferate, killing anything with toughness 2 or less for 3 mana. The prolif effect is cheaper, and thus faster. Since you're playing mono-black, which doesn't have access to the same type of pump, you want more prolif. Also, if one of your infect creatures gets blocked, you can prolif the counters on what they blocked. I think 99% of the time it's a better card. Replace the Phyrexian Digester and the Guardians of Meletis with Core Prowler. It's another infect creature, and if it dies, then you get to prolif. Replace the Blackcleave Goblins with 2 more Ichor Rats, since they have a better etb trigger. Replace the Dark Favor and Deviant Glee with 4x Unholy Strength. 1 for 2 on 4 cards is better than one card being 2 for 3, and 3 cards at 1 for 2. Unholy Strength is also cheaper in dollar amounts.
1 month ago
Thanks man I appreciate that a lot. The goofy art card is called Unholy Strength and I'll definitely have a look at some of the cards in those lists. Thanks for the suggestions
1 month ago
2 months ago
3 months ago
Hey there. Prepare for a wall of text, as I think you're on to something here but could benefit a lot from some additional information.
As I have been building and playing with a Demon deck for a few years now, and my group is transitioning from casual Legacy to Modern, I have a ton of suggestions, but I will try to keep them moderately priced, assuming you are operating on a budget.
The main reason that Demons aren't played by a wide array of people is that they cannot efficiently operate without mana acceleration. Your idea is to go the sacrificing route, but in its current form that is quite inconsistent, as there aren't many demons that you can push out quickly.
I see two main avenues you could go in order to push out Demons fairly quickly and with more consistency, and without having to play weak-ass creatures (That's not the point of a demon deck after all). Outside of Modern it would be considerably easier, but lets go the Modern route.
Route 1: Mana acceleration
The problem in modern is, that most mana acceleration engines are banned. Currently you don't have too many choices in this department and they rely on creature spells, which are prone to removal.
- Crypt Ghast Pretty good card, can let you push out any and all Demons in Turn 5, including Reiver Demon
- Nirkana Revenant 6 Mana is quite a lot, just to boost your actual mana-generation. Not recommended.
- Korlash, Heir to Blackblade Probably your best bet, as it can be incredibly powerful but likely not in your budget.
- Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx Again, probably not in your budget.
Route 2: Creature cost decrease
- Heartless Summoning Let this one sink in. It can be incredibly powerful and allow you to drop bombs as early as turn 5 and with consistency. If you rely solely on demons and other big stompers, the -1/-1 won't bother you in the slightest.
Specific card critique
- If you play Demons (which don't need any powerup) and plan to sacrifice your smaller creatures (they would die inevitably, the powerup would be wasted), there is no reason to play Unholy Strength.
- Tendrils of Corruption is probably better here than Consume Spirit
- It depends on the circumstance, but to keep you alive Tribute to Hunger can be better than Dark Banishing
- Larceny is just bad, unless multiples of your Imps survive until round 5, which is not a given.
- Oni Possession You might be trading three cards for one removal spell here. First, you sacrifice a creature, then you enchant your own. If the enemy casts a simple removal spell, you lost three cards, for +3/+3 and 3 mana.
Now, for the good part! More Demons, more powerful cards, a better mana curve and a stronger competitive focus!
- Desecration Demon Arguably the best Demon for a budget. He was even features in the duel deck, albeit a different one. And you really need more cards in the 4-mana Slot. With Heartless Summoning it can be played for 2, is a 5/5 flier and let's your opponents sacrifice creatures!
- Mutilate Boardsweeper, in case you end up being dominated before you can get out your fatties. As a bonus, if played early, your fatties will survive.
- Bloodgift Demon A 5-mana flying, demonized Phyrexian Arena. A total bomb.
- Read the Bones or Night's Whisper or Ambition's Cost Card Draw for a budget.
- Whip of Erebos Can be ridiculously overpowered in this deck.
- Lightning Greaves Haste and protection for 2 mana. Probably worth the investment, as it can be a powerhouse in most decks.
3 months ago
A few more:
- Built to Last and Built to Smash
- White Knight and Black Knight
- Blue Elemental Blast and Red Elemental Blast