|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2015||Mythic Rare|
|Modern Masters 2015 Edition||Mythic Rare|
|MTG: Commander||Mythic Rare|
|Promo Set||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Multikicker (You may pay an additional any number of times as you cast this spell.)
Choose target creature or player, then choose another target creature or player for each time Comet Storm was kicked. Comet Storm deals X damage to each of them.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Comet Storm Discussion
3 days ago
Lightning Bolt can still be removal to hit utility creature or low to the ground commanders like arcum, leovold, yisan, edric and GAAIV. I personally have found Comet Storm to be a dead card in my hand more often than lightning bolt. It really depends on your meta and play-style.
3 days ago
Serra, Mother of Angel's
Legendary Creature-Human Cleric
Creatures you control have double strike and lifelink.
: Create a 4/4 angel creature token with flying and vigilance.
Panas on Chemo Ramp
4 days ago
Alright! I gave the deck a quick look and it looks relatively good overall. I understand you are not in a very competitive meta (or at least, not a very cutthroat one at that) and that budget is a concern albeit not a very crazy one.
I see enough card draw and cards that replace themselves. I also liked that you built the deck accordingly, avoiding enchantment and artifact inclusions to fit the theme of blowing all of them up.
With that said we reach the greatest flaw in the deck. Without any strong, early ramp and so many high costed cards doing what you want, your deck is left slow and clunky and will often durdle and fold to early advantage gained by other people through the same things you hate. Breaking a Sylvan Library on turn 5 means that opponent already has gained all the value in the world out of it and probably doesn't care too much that it's being destroyed.
A second point I want to make is that although you do have a lot of big mana plays, a LOT of them are inefficient considering the resource investment into them (mana cost Vs effect + P/T). Here's a list of which ones I didn't like too much and the reasoning behind it:
- Avatar of Might is a vanilla trampler in your deck. Unless you are facing against a fast aggro deck or token generator, you are the one playing the creature deck so I wouldn't expect to cast it on the cheap side often.
- Deus of Calamity is an awesome card but it needs the proper enablers (double strike/constant buffs) for it to work as intended and even then it's a "win more" card. In effect it does a hell of a lot under certain conditions, but those are hard to come by and when you are behind you'd prefer playing something else.
- Domesticated Hydra a very high investment just to get a trampler. Evasion is good but when you compare these kind of cards with enablers like Thunderfoot Baloth and Siege Behemoth they are very lackluster.
- Havenwood Wurm: 7 mana for a 5/6 trampler? You can do a lot better than this. The instant speed doesn't warrant this investment as it is essentially asking you to skip your turn to play this.
- Stonebrow, Krosan Hero would be a lot better in a shell where mass trample and Overrun effects ran rampant. This is not the case so quite often he will be giving you an extra 2-4 damage on swing. He's not that bad though.
- Blunt the Assault is a heavy costed fog effect. If life gaining is that important, running Shamanic Revelation is better. If the fog is really needed then just run Fog or Lull or Respite or Winds of Qal Sisma.
- Devil's Play is a very flavourful card and I do like it, but I think it's a bit small for commander. Fall of the Titans or even better Comet Storm do a much better job at finishing people.
- Scrabbling Claws is not good enough for graveyard hate. There exist much better alternatives (i.e. Relic of Progenitus)!
And here are my suggestions for you, including some notable omissions. Some have already been mentioned by others.
- Acidic Slime
- Mold Shambler
- Reclamation Sage!
- Sakura-Tribe Elder!
- Wood Elves!
- Farhaven Elf!
- Woodfall Primus!
- Chaos Warp!
- Krosan Grip!
- Ancient Grudge
- Comet Storm
- Hull Breach
- Skyshroud Claim!
- Hydra Broodmaster
- Beast Within!
- Xenagos, God of Revels
I would choose a number of these as replacements prefering their versatility, efficiency and power.
Those are my thoughts. :)
ps: since tappedout doesn't let me mark my most suggestions through the checkboxes for some reason, i'll put an exclamation mark next to them...
1 week ago
Given that you're Grixis, I'd suggest looking up Doomsday as well, but I don't know the black part of the pie as well... Hope this helps!
1 week ago
Combat damage resolves all at once. Effects from Hornet Nest would go on the stack after combat damage resolution. Life totals are checked as a state-based action, so you're dead as soon as damage resolves and Hornet Nest never triggers.
Now, if you had hit Hornet Nest with Comet Storm, X=6, during the declare blockers step you could've triggered Warstorm Surge off the 6 1/1 green insects and offed Prime Time before combat damage was resolved.
2 weeks ago
My friend has an Ashling deck that is mostly all direct damage and it works surprisingly well. Just lots of damage thrown around (Comet Storm, Satyr Firedancerand the like) with damage doublers like Furnace of Rath, Dictate of the Twin Gods, etc. Also Braid of Fire for ashling's ability.
Just make sure to run plenty of mana rocks / doublers and as much draw power as you can in red. Things like Reforge the Soul and similar effects work great for mono red EDH
3 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
Storm is difficult to pull off in EDH due to A) the singleton, 100 card deck format, which makes it hard to find the specific cards you need and B) a multiplayer, 40 life format where you need a very high or infinite storm count to kill the table. With that said, if you do want to try it you'll likely want several Wheel of Fortune effects, rituals such as Mana Geyser, and several win conditions. If you get an infinite storm count, you can kill your opponents with Grapeshot or Brain Freeze. If you can get a storm count of 15-17 or so, Aetherflux Reservoir will let you take out the table. Or you can get infinite mana and win with Comet Storm or Rolling Thunder.