|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Creature — Merfolk Wizard
Sacrifice Cursecatcher: Counter target instant or sorcery spell unless its controller pays .
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
19 hours ago
1) Run more than 16 lands. Not even Merfolk can properly function on 16 lands. And don't just use basics. Oboro, Palace in the Clouds, Mutavault, and Cavern of Souls fit great in a Merfolk build, and Wanderwine Hub, in addition to entering untapped for two colors, can reveal a threat from your hand that your opponent may need to play around.
3) Don't play black in a Merfolk build. If you're absolutely set on using another color, I personally would recommend white for Path to Exile, Mana Tithe, and Brave the Elements. White would also get the most value out of Wanderwine Hub. But, if you insist on using black, the spells you've chosen aren't going to cut it in modern. Dead Weight won't kill Tarmogoyfs, Hero's Downfall is way too expensive, and Appetite for Brains misses 99% of the relevant threats. In modern, the magic number is 3. That's where most of the curves top out. Thus, Appetite misses everything at or below the magic number. Personally, if I had to use black in a Merfolk build, I'd be running Dismember, Inquisition of Kozilek, maybe a couple Thoughtseize, and Fatal Push. I'd also run one or two Gut Shots for insurance, but that's just me. Of course, this all assumes that you play another color in your deck. If it were me, I'd stay mono-blue.
4) Aether Vial. Perfect card for this deck. Put it on two and keep pumping out creatures.
5) Merfolk Sovereign doesn't do enough work in this deck. It's 3 mana for the same effect as the two-mana lords (Master of the Pearl Trident and Lord of Atlantis), and its second ability is useless. Run Master of Waves or Harbinger of the Tides instead.
6) Cursecatcher. This is your one-drop. It kicks ass in this format.
7) I'd suggest maybe running some amount of Vapor Snags mainboard. It's really effective.
8) Hurkyl's Recall is a great sideboard option against Affinity. Ghost Quarter and Tectonic Edge shut down Tron. Gut Shot is great against a lot of faster decks. Tidebinder Mage is great against Burn and anything with Tarmogoyf. Spell Pierce for removal-heavy decks and Relic of Progenitus hoses graveyard shenanigans. Ceremonious Rejection for Tron and Affinity. Unsubstantiate and Flashfreeze if the matchup demands it. Unified Will, Echoing Truth, and Sea's Claim are all viable sideboard options as well.
9) I'd suggest you consult my list as well as the MTGSalvation primer for Merfolk
3 days ago
Really? In Legacy even? Where non-creature spells are much more prevalent and having a Force Spike on a stick is incredibly powerful?
There is no better option at that spot than Cursecatcher - it is the second most potent creature in the deck (after Silvergill Adept) and gives you the all important "awesome thing to do with your Aether Vial on 1 counter"
3 days ago
3 days ago
1 week ago
Cursecatcher is my first choice, but I wanted to get others' opinion as well. Then just thoughts in general about how any replacement would affect the deck. Since I lose one type of early control to gain another type, it still affects the playstyle in subtle ways and alters synergy in others.
3 weeks ago
Your curve isn't all that different from merfolk. They have Cursecatcher on 1, 2 different lords and Silvergill Adept on 2, Merrow Reejerey and Kira, Great Glass-Spinner on 3 and Master of Waves on 4. It usually works out ok :) (my merfolk: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/26-11-16-merfolk/ ).
Hadn't thought of the nocturnus/mirror entity nonbo. But that problem also hits Aether Vial (you can scry out of it, though).
And fetches... fetchland would let you shuffle out of a bad topdeck for vampire nocturnus. And as long as what you want to fetch is Godless Shrine, any black or white fetchland will do (so go for the cheapest - that would be Bloodstained Mire afaik).
I don't really like Vampire Nighthawk. Undoubtedly it does well in a few matchups, but it doesn't bring anything in terms of synergy. It belongs in the sideboard (perfect SB against zoo, burn and other fast aggro with small creatures). Drana, Liberator of Malakir seems better, although she is also in lightning bolt range.
1 month ago
This deck is going to be put under changes in the near future, it will either become a general that is considered one of the more competitive mono blue commanders, Azami, Lady of Scrolls. Or I will be shifting this deck towards a Mass Polymorph deck.
Just placing these as lists of cards that I need/want to try out. The first one is just a list of cards that I wish to put into the deck to make it better no matter what route I take. (these will be cards that are going to be included very soon.)Sky Diamond, Whir of Invention, Snow-Covered Island, Coldsteel Heart, Buried Ruin, Chrome Mox, Dramatic reversal, Gush, Extraplanar Lens, Muddle the Mixture, Long-Term Plans, Frantic Search, Back to Basics, Merchant Scroll, Mystical Tutor.
This next list is the cards I would need to make it a Mass Polymorph deck. Mass Polymorph, Synthetic Destiny, Polymorph, Proteus Staff. Deadeye Navigator, Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur, Blightsteel Colossus, Palinchron, Tidespout Tyrant
And lastly the last list is if i pushed it towards a Azami, Lady of Scrolls deck. /note for azami I will have to up the mana rock count by 5+ thus also including Paradox EngineMind Over Matter, Aphetto Alchemist, Cursecatcher, Jace, Vryn's Prodigy Flip, Laboratory Maniac, Martyr of Frost, Sage of Epityr, Sea Scryer, Snapcaster Mage, Stonybrook Banneret, Trinket Mage, Vedalken AEthermage
This last list is cards that I wish to put into the deck when I clear up funds for this particular deck.Time Spiral, Scalding Tarn, Polluted Delta, Misty Rainforest, Flooded Strand, Cavern of Souls, Sensei's Divining Top, Mox Opal, Mox Diamond, Mana Vault, Mana Crypt, Grim Monolith, Mana Drain, Force of Will,
1 month ago
Hi, I finally managed to turn my bad streak around and finish with a 3-1 record last thursday.
Round 1: Grixis Delver 2-0
Game 1: I managed to beat him down with multiple lords and True-Name Nemesis.
Board out: 4x Cursecatcher.
Round 2: Turbo Depths 0-2
Game 1: The opposing player normally play BUG, so I kept a hand well suited for that matchup, but unfortunately I had no answers to a turn 3 20/20 flyer in my hand.
Game 2: I keep a 5 card hand with only one land and I never drew the second land.
Round 3: Maverick 2-1
Game 2: True-Name Nemesis and Phantasmal Image wins the race against Stoneforge Mystic with a Sword of Fire and Ice equipted, but only because I drew a Lord of Atlantis, the turn before I would have died.
Round 4: Monoblack Reanimator 2-0
Game 1: He mulled to 5 cards and did not manage to go off, before dying to a Cursecatcher and 2 Lords.
Things that I learned: - The 4.th Phantasmal Image is definitely worth it.- I did not miss Harbinger of the Tides even once.- Back to Basics might be too slow and should maybe be replaced with Misdirection- That it is actually nice to play an event, where I do not have to face elves 1-2 times. :)
Things that I still want to test: - Unfortunately my 2x Smuggler's Copter have still not arrived after 10 days, so I'm still waiting impatiently for the chance to try them out as a 2 of in the maindeck. :)