|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Modern Masters 2015 Edition||Common|
|Duel Decks: Ajani vs. Nicol Bolas||Common|
Combos Browse all
Return target creature to its owner's hand. Its controller loses 1 life.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Vapor Snag Discussion
1 minute ago
Just so you know, Counterspell is not legal in Modern.
As for the deck, I suggest adding more efficient spells. Mana Leak is one of the better counters in Modern, and could be better than more conditional ones. Rune Snag is also decent, if you want it. Dissolve is an upgrade from Cancel.
Hope that helps!
30 minutes ago
i appreciate the advice, and i defiantly would consider using Serum Visions over something like Vapor Snag, but the way the Kiln Fiend Aggro deck is set up is completely different. It's most likely more efficient, but it would lose if it came across a deck with life gain, or if any of the stuff got countered, where as with Zada, Hedron Grinder you're almost assured the win if you can get anyone one of the other instants or sorcery spells (unless he himself gets countered). Early game Kiln Fiend Aggro has it, but mid to late game id say this one has it.
9 hours ago
Wellcome to pauper, there is no need to reinvent the wheel, so I'll just add some staples for this deck as it is called UR Blitz, which is super fast, sweet and fun to play.
- Serum Visions - great cantrip + fixes delver
- Gitaxian Probe - strictly better than Peek
- Mutagenic Growth/Gut Shot - free trigger
- Temur Battle Rage - better than Assault Strobe as it is instant speed so can close games quickly when 7 damages becomes 20
- Unsummon/Vapor Snag - great "removal" and trigger
- Lightning Bolt - damage to face, damage to clear your way + trigger
And this deck does not actually has to play 20 lands as your mana curve should be quite low
1 day ago
1) Run more than 16 lands. Not even Merfolk can properly function on 16 lands. And don't just use basics. Oboro, Palace in the Clouds, Mutavault, and Cavern of Souls fit great in a Merfolk build, and Wanderwine Hub, in addition to entering untapped for two colors, can reveal a threat from your hand that your opponent may need to play around.
3) Don't play black in a Merfolk build. If you're absolutely set on using another color, I personally would recommend white for Path to Exile, Mana Tithe, and Brave the Elements. White would also get the most value out of Wanderwine Hub. But, if you insist on using black, the spells you've chosen aren't going to cut it in modern. Dead Weight won't kill Tarmogoyfs, Hero's Downfall is way too expensive, and Appetite for Brains misses 99% of the relevant threats. In modern, the magic number is 3. That's where most of the curves top out. Thus, Appetite misses everything at or below the magic number. Personally, if I had to use black in a Merfolk build, I'd be running Dismember, Inquisition of Kozilek, maybe a couple Thoughtseize, and Fatal Push. I'd also run one or two Gut Shots for insurance, but that's just me. Of course, this all assumes that you play another color in your deck. If it were me, I'd stay mono-blue.
4) Aether Vial. Perfect card for this deck. Put it on two and keep pumping out creatures.
5) Merfolk Sovereign doesn't do enough work in this deck. It's 3 mana for the same effect as the two-mana lords (Master of the Pearl Trident and Lord of Atlantis), and its second ability is useless. Run Master of Waves or Harbinger of the Tides instead.
6) Cursecatcher. This is your one-drop. It kicks ass in this format.
7) I'd suggest maybe running some amount of Vapor Snags mainboard. It's really effective.
8) Hurkyl's Recall is a great sideboard option against Affinity. Ghost Quarter and Tectonic Edge shut down Tron. Gut Shot is great against a lot of faster decks. Tidebinder Mage is great against Burn and anything with Tarmogoyf. Spell Pierce for removal-heavy decks and Relic of Progenitus hoses graveyard shenanigans. Ceremonious Rejection for Tron and Affinity. Unsubstantiate and Flashfreeze if the matchup demands it. Unified Will, Echoing Truth, and Sea's Claim are all viable sideboard options as well.
9) I'd suggest you consult my list as well as the MTGSalvation primer for Merfolk
2 days ago
I don't know if you're playing casual kitchen table but Trade Secrets is banned in commander.
4 days ago
Nice list. +1
1 week ago
Wow! Nice feedback, thanks for the thoughtful considerations!! I would test Tweeking with the Remand, Vapor Snag and Mana Leak. I really like both remands and Vapor snags, they give you a lot of control over you opponent's drops and can use it to predict movements and such. Mana Leak is a weaker version of Spellstutter Sprite, it get's rid ov something permanently BUT does not swing for 1 or 2. Remember that ninja can also be used to abuse triggers and ETB effects from the Faeries.
+3 Ninja of the Deep Hours, test it out, give your thoughts, i really think it may be worth it!Thtanks for the feedback :)
1 week ago
Removing the Propaganda and Control Magic would make this deck Modern legal, where I think it would have a better chance of winning rather than trying to play it in vintage/legacy. They could be replaced with more mill cards or good creatures like Jace's Phantasm. You could also swap your Wall of Denials with the phantasms and remove white completely from the deck, making it more consistent (5/5 flyers make better blockers than 0/8 walls since most people don't want to lose their creatures to a blocker). The Arrest could be swapped with a Vapor Snag or something to hold off attackers for a turn. I also think 4 Traumatize is too many, since if you play a few mill spells in the earlier turns, the most you'll hit with a 2nd traumatize is 10 or so, which would make it worse than another 5 mana card like Jace, Memory Adept. Going up to 4 Hedron Crabs is also a good idea, perhaps replacing some of the 5-6 mana spells. Anyway, hope some of that helps. Happy milling!