As Wanderwine Hub enters the battlefield, you may reveal a Merfolk card from your hand. If you don't, Wanderwine Hub enters the battlefield tapped.
Tap: Add (White) or (Blue) to your mana pool.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Wanderwine Hub Discussion
1 week ago
Looks great, +1 for sure, but I'm just wondering; why the Wanderwine Hubs? I don't see any white cards in the deck.
1 month ago
Is there a reason for Wanderwine Hub? You don't seem to be using white in this deck, so what's the point?
1 month ago
1) Run more than 16 lands. Not even Merfolk can properly function on 16 lands. And don't just use basics. Oboro, Palace in the Clouds, Mutavault, and Cavern of Souls fit great in a Merfolk build, and Wanderwine Hub, in addition to entering untapped for two colors, can reveal a threat from your hand that your opponent may need to play around.
3) Don't play black in a Merfolk build. If you're absolutely set on using another color, I personally would recommend white for Path to Exile, Mana Tithe, and Brave the Elements. White would also get the most value out of Wanderwine Hub. But, if you insist on using black, the spells you've chosen aren't going to cut it in modern. Dead Weight won't kill Tarmogoyfs, Hero's Downfall is way too expensive, and Appetite for Brains misses 99% of the relevant threats. In modern, the magic number is 3. That's where most of the curves top out. Thus, Appetite misses everything at or below the magic number. Personally, if I had to use black in a Merfolk build, I'd be running Dismember, Inquisition of Kozilek, maybe a couple Thoughtseize, and Fatal Push. I'd also run one or two Gut Shots for insurance, but that's just me. Of course, this all assumes that you play another color in your deck. If it were me, I'd stay mono-blue.
4) Aether Vial. Perfect card for this deck. Put it on two and keep pumping out creatures.
5) Merfolk Sovereign doesn't do enough work in this deck. It's 3 mana for the same effect as the two-mana lords (Master of the Pearl Trident and Lord of Atlantis), and its second ability is useless. Run Master of Waves or Harbinger of the Tides instead.
6) Cursecatcher. This is your one-drop. It kicks ass in this format.
7) I'd suggest maybe running some amount of Vapor Snags mainboard. It's really effective.
8) Hurkyl's Recall is a great sideboard option against Affinity. Ghost Quarter and Tectonic Edge shut down Tron. Gut Shot is great against a lot of faster decks. Tidebinder Mage is great against Burn and anything with Tarmogoyf. Spell Pierce for removal-heavy decks and Relic of Progenitus hoses graveyard shenanigans. Ceremonious Rejection for Tron and Affinity. Unsubstantiate and Flashfreeze if the matchup demands it. Unified Will, Echoing Truth, and Sea's Claim are all viable sideboard options as well.
9) I'd suggest you consult my list as well as the MTGSalvation primer for Merfolk
3 months ago
But you can replace them... unfortunately Daze doesn't have an equivalent in modern. But the other 2 have:
And I think Phantasmal Image would be a nice addition.
There's also Cosi's Trickster that becomes very good in a meta full of fetchlands and tutors.
4 months ago
I've had some extended trials with Chalice - its issue is that you really like having 1-mana interaction yourself, and it doesn't play nice with that. Which is not to say you can't have it, but if you do, some concessions usually have to be made, and my deck is performing well enough that I don't feel I need to make them. Chalice is also a minimum 3-of, because it's very bad if it doesn't come down early (preferably on curve).
5 months ago
8 months ago
Eiyros 2 Tidebinder Mage has become pretty standard mainboard for Merfolk ever since Twin was banned. There are more and more decks that run some sort of red or green threat that you can hit with the Mage it's worth the main deck slot. Burn, BreachTitan, BGx, Infect, Dredge, Abzan Company etc all are real and common decks that you will hit something relevant with. AEther Vial makes Tidebinder Mage instant speed lockdown against lots of decks. At worst even he is just a 2 devotion card for Master of Waves even.