|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Modern Event Deck (MD1)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Kithkin Wizard
Protection from red
Sacrifice Burrenton Forge-Tender: Prevent all damage a red source of your choice would deal this turn.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (8)||tragic_slip , TheAlmostHero , Sparky41 , frederiklw , jtaddeo , ibraJG84 , abby315 ,|
Burrenton Forge-Tender Discussion
3 weeks ago
N4kk1 Thanks for linking the deck, the differences in the sideboards from me and that deck (and the big debates I keep having with myself about my sideboard) are
3 weeks ago
You should run Rest in Peace in your sideboard. Yixlid Jailer doesn't stop Living End, and only having Scavenging Ooze can be rough considering that, with a good hand, they can have their graveyard out at instant speed on the fourth turn and beyond (they can do it earlier, but it requires an even greater hand lol) and can get rid of your Ooze before you can windmill slam it and activate it after tutoring with Chord. The Rests are basically a wash out against graveyard decks, though.
Stony Silence needs to be in your board. Rec Sage isn't fast enough to stop Affinity, and I don't think you have enough time to Chord your 1 Kataki against that deck as Affinity kills the same turn you do but has access to a complete sweeper against your deck in Whipflare and tend to run Galvanic Blast mainboard. Silence completely shuts it down, and has a nice benefit of messing with Lantern decks too, so I strongly recommend it. Burrenton Forge-Tender would also be a decent option against Whipflare as well, as if it gets cast against you, you will basically lose unless you have the godliest of godhands (double Archdruid out before Affinity draws or can cast Whipflare).
To add those in... I don't like Thragtusk. I don't know what matchups you'd pull that for except Burn, and Firewalker already helps in your red matchups. 1 Red Sage could go, as well. Yixlid Jailer could go for 1 Rest in Peace, though it'd be preferable to run two.
Your mainboard looks good though. Hopefully at some point you can get some Cavern of Souls, because they'll solve most of your problems with casting your creatures.
4 weeks ago
On Burrenton Forge-Tender vs. Selfless Spirit: It's not that one is better than the other. They're different. E.g., Selfless Spirit protects your dudes. Burrenton Forge-Tender protects your face and sometimes (or often, depending on your meta) your dudes.
I missed the maindeck Reclamation Sage, as you had asked me to focus on your sideboard.
As far as what to pull for Essence Warden, it's all about your other sideboard choices, and what you need most. Without a detailed understanding of your win percentages and meta, I have no idea. Here's a great article though, on generic sideboarding philosophy.
4 weeks ago
Looking at that list it ran nonr of my first suggestions, what i would recommend from that list is definitely 1-3 Cavern of Souls mainboard, its actually a huge lifesaver in tribal decks liek elves, goblins(yay guide), faeries and merfolk.
Plus, cavern does what Choke wants to do for no mana or sideboard space
As far as what to cut, Craterhoof Behemoth is really more of an edh powerhouse and too slow for modern, dont let the set reprint fool you, and Path to Exile definitely seems like a must-have in sideboard
4 weeks ago
goblinguiderevealpls What is Bow of Nylea good against? It seems very slow. I don't run Feed the Clan because I usually don't have big creatures, I would need to pump them with Ezuri, Renegade Leader which doesn't seem consistent enough. I like Kitchen Finks in part because I can tutor for it. I might try Beast Within, but what matchups is it better than Fiend Hunter or Reclamation Sage? Also, what do you think I should cut to add it in?
clayperce Is Burrenton Forge-Tender really better than Selfless Spirit? As affinity hate goes, I have Fracturing Gust and Stony Silence, and a Reclamation Sage in the maindeck, along with tutors. I think Melira, Sylvok Outcast seems too narrow, but if Infect becomes popular, I will probably add it in. I like Fiend Hunter because I can tutor for it. I do want to try to fit Essence Warden in somewhere, but it seems like it would just get bolted. What do you recommend cutting for it?
4 weeks ago
In addition to the standard disclaimers (I've goldfished but haven't played the deck IRL, I have no idea on your meta, etc), I need to mention I play Ponza and Infect, not Elves. Nevertheless, here are some thoughts from on the other side of the table ...
- Burrenton Forge-Tender is REALLY good against me.
- I don't know how your Affinity/Blue Steel/etc matchup are, but I like the idea of having some fetchable Artifact hate rather than just the Fracturing Gusts. Kataki, War's Wage, maybe?
- If you bring in Kitchen Finks regularly, you might also consider Melira, Sylvok Outcast. It's probably too inconsistent unless Infect is seeing a resurgence in your meta. But it's REALLY tough to deal with.
- With the White sideboard, I'd expect to see Path to Exile. If Fiend Hunter is enough though, cool!
- Seems like Essence Warden would be insane in a bunch of match-ups.
- I ran Choke for quite a while and found it to be really good. My only caution is to beware of Spreading Seas on your Lands. It probably doesn't matter with all your Dorks though.
1 month ago
I play in the Just for fun room, Nethereon. Most casuals there hate mill cause of how it preys upon unsuspecting budget decks without mercy. ;3 I beat 90% of them.. the other 10% have answers. (And casuals hate all tron decks regardless of their composition.)
Im surprised at all the interest in Hatebears lately given that I don't deck cycle it much. =n.n=
1 month ago
Ok, after everyone's comments, here are my thoughts ...
GOOD MATCH-UPS (Bant Knightfall, UW Control, GBx Midrange, Jeskai Control, Death's Shadow): Mainboard is fine; no sideboard slots needed.
- Ancient Grudge, if I end up using some number of Trinisphere too.
- Ancient Grudge + Shatterstorm, if I don't use Trin'
- Obstinate Baloth (putting one back into the main) and Kitchen Finks (in the side)
- Maybe some Trinisphere.
- The more I think about it, the more I think Beast Within is the key. Say an opponent casts Scapeshift and sacrifices 7 Lands to fetch 6 Mountains (basics and non-basics) and a Valakut. All the Lands enter simultaneously and 6 Valakut triggers go on the stack. With the triggers on the stack, I kill a Mountain. The trigger from that Mountain will resolve and I'll take 3 damage. But the triggers from the other 5 Mountains fizzle, since "the ability will do nothing if [my opponent controls] fewer than 5 Mountains other than that new one by the time it resolves" (source).
- Beast Within is also superb against a resolved Primeval Titan.
- I might be able to catch an inexperienced pilot with Crumble to Dust, but an experienced pilot will wait until the last second (i.e., fetching them with Scapeshift) to play their Valakut. Crumble may still be worthwhile though ... partly for free wins against less experienced pilots, but mostly because hitting Stomping Ground will leave most decks with only 10 Mountains ... depending on the board state, that will often not be enough for lethal.
- Blood Moon is of course amazing in the match-up, but post-board they will almost certainly have Engineered Explosives and Reclamation Sage to deal with it. Still, Blood moon #5 may be worthwhile.
ELDRAZI AND Gx TRON:
- I'm excited to try Crumble to Dust here.
- Blood Moon is of course amazing in the match-up, but post-board they will almost certainly have Ratchet Bomb, Nature's Claim, etc. to deal with it. Still, Blood moon #5 may be worthwhile.
- Beast Within for Devoted Druid and Vizier of Remedies
- Anger of the Gods, for everything else.
- For Counters CoCo: Druid and Vizier demand answers. Renegade Rallier and Eternal Witness makes Exile effects much better.
- For Valuetown CoCo: 7x Manadorks, Ramunap Excavator, and Knight of the Reliquary complicate the Land Destruction plan.
- As with any White deck, I need to watch out for Blessed Alliance post-board. Burrenton Forge-Tender, Linvala, Keeper of Silence, Reclamation Sage and Qasali Pridemage could make an appearance as well.
- 3x Trinisphere to slow them down or Eidolon of the Great Revel to kill them
- 1x Anger of the Gods for Goblin Electromancer and Baral, Chief of Compliance
The bottom line (for now anyways) ...
Main: 1x Obstinate Baloth