( can be paid with either or 2 life.)
Target creature gets -5/-5 until end of turn.
|Have (2)||metalmagic ,|
|Want (3)||Tinythegiant , MenacingCorpsejack , Onua|
Printings View all
|Mystery Booster (MYS1)||Uncommon|
|Modern Masters 2015 Edition (MM2)||Uncommon|
|Modern Event Deck (MD1)||Uncommon|
|New Phyrexia (NPH)||Uncommon|
|Promo Set (000)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Dismember occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
3 days ago
Agreed. Phyrexian mana was a mistake as it was too open. Too flexible. And that opened up for abuse. 1 mana removal in all colors with Dismember or a free and limited but applicable counter spells with Mental Misstep. The mistake is making it mana reducing (tempo wise) and available in all colors.
If Phyrexian mana had some tangibility to it, to shackle it at least to its own color or somehow require the mana available but not use them, it could be balanced out. It wasn't and now it just needs to be buried.
2 weeks ago
Optimator: Hello there! Always gotta love Vilis decks, especially as detailed as this one :D A lot of cards in Maybeboard would fit the deck really well (I just have no idea why you got some cards two or three times there), but I would try to minimalize the maybeboard as much as possible, to not look the deck so chaotic.
I run Vilis in my Syr Konrad's For the Void deck.. he doesnt really fit the theme/idea of the deck so well, but Vilis is just too badass to cut out :D (anyway, any feedback/suggestions would be welcomed aswell <3 )
Some cards in deck I would cut, why, and their replacement:
1) Falkenrath Noble - might be a nice card in an aristocrat deck, there isnt really any way to generate->sac big amount of your creatures to abuse Falkenrath Noble as much as possible, also costs . If you want an aristocrat, Bastion of Remembrance could be a possible option aswell. Its cheaper, gives you a 1/1 token and has the same effect as F.Noble. Sure, can't attack or block, but Bastion is also harder to remove since its an Enchantment.
2) Leaden Myr - as you already mentioned, a possible cut for some other mana-rock.. I would switch it for Malakir Rebirth Flip as an another kind of "protection" to either Vilis or another important creature at the moment. With Vilis on board, it even draws you two cards (destroy protection, draw two cards, triggering aristocrat-like effects at instant speed for only ? YES PLEASE! ). In worse case scenario, its also additional land drop. Another possible replacement could be Blood Celebrant, which synergies well with both Vilis and K'riik.
3) Liliana's Contract - would probably fit better in some Demon tribal deck or Conspiracy deck. You also have only six Demons in your deck, all of them with fairly high mana cost. As a better card-draw, I would add either Greed, since it draws you 3 cards with Vilis on board, maybe even Skullclamp that would draw you two cards every turn with Ophiomancer, but Greed would be most likey better option, since there isnt really any other way to generate a lot of tokens every turn.
4) Crux of Fate - no Dragons in your deck, not even so many of them in black in general, so outside of politic reason, other 5CMC or less boardwipes would be better. I personally love Life's Finale, its more expensive than Crux of Fate, but enables you to look and search in target opponent's deck and put up to 3 creatures from their deck into theri graveyard, which would synergize with Chainer, Dementia Master, Geth, Lord of the Vault and some other.
5) Ruinous Path - sorcery speed removal is kinda meh, so something like Hero's Downfall is just better. I personally like Eat to Extinction, even if its more expensive, it helps with top-deck managment (+exiles targeted creature/pw).
6) Cut few swamps for:
6a) Cabal Stronghold - Stronghold is cheap, can tap itself for and can give you plenty of later on.
6b) Emergence Zone - I personally love this utility land, just because it gives you spells Flash whenever you sac it. It doesnt ETB tapped and can help you casting some stuff when you sac it.
7) Chaos Wand - might be a fun card, but doesnt really fit the deck at all. I would cut it for Bontu's Monument to make a lot of your big black stuff cheaper and another small source of life-gain.
8) Big mana-rocks: Gilded Lotus and Thran Dynamo - I used to run those too, but slowly started replacing them with cheaper mana rocks like Thought Vessel and Arcane Signet. Hedron Archive is okay-ish since it can draw you two cards when you no longer need it, but with Vilis and especially mono-black, there can always be enough card draw.
9) Spellbook - would be fine, if you didnt manage to get your Reliquary Tower or Venser's Journal on board, but otherwise its just a dead card that does nothing to you anymore. I would rather replace it with Ivory Tower to get some life back.
10) Curtains' Call - I would replace this one for one of the following:
10a) Devour in Shadow/Vendetta - cheap removal that can potentionaly draws you X cards aswell.
10b) Dismember - depending on how big the creature is, but since you could cast it for only one and draw 4 cards aswell, its decent choice aswell.
10c) Snuff Out - free removal in 99.999% time, which can draws you 4 cards aswell, but not for black creatures, which, depending on your opponent's deck, might be important. Still most likely a better option.
10d) Tragic Slip - goes through indestructible, but requires a creature to die to be maximum effective, which might be sometimes a problem. Still, really good one.
10e) Malicious Affliction - another cheap removal, which is also locked to non-black creatures, but is able to destroy two creatures if a creature died already, so similar issue like Tragic Slip.
10f) Profane Command - I just totally love this card. Its not instant, but can be really flexible in various situations, so I would probably go for this as a replacement.
10g) Erebos's Intervention - similar to Profane Command, it flexile aswell, providing you to remove some indestructible creature and get some life; or serves as a fairly decent graveyard hate at instant speed.
I won't go through cards in maybeboard, even though there is plenty of really nice cards that would work so well in Vilis's deck, like Bolas's Citadel, Doom Whisperer, Font of Agonies and Phyrexian Reclamation and many more, it would just be a little too much, I would say... :D
I hope some of my suggestions will help, gonna upvote this for sure, just because it looks really nice, especially with so many possible cards that could easily fit so well :)
2 weeks ago
Aaah MAN I can NOT beLIEVE I forgot about Hymn to Tourach, I'm so disappointed in myself.
The comment about the interaction is totally true, I really wanted to try out the strategy of suicide black and didn't really think about interaction too much. I'll probably take your advice and add in some Dismember and some Inquisition of Kozilek, those are both pretty good and well within budget range for me.
Cling to Dust is pretty good, I'll try it out in place of Cremate, the reason I have those (and Aphotic Wisps) is because I just really love cantrip effects; mostly irrational, but I like them nonetheless.
Rouse is really fun as a combat trick with a Death's Shadow, but you might be right about it not having high enough impact on the game; maybe I'll try out Cruel Bargain instead. But, only a couple, I want to keep the CMC down, the other slots will likely be for interaction.
I really enjoy playing Village Rites just as a card, especially post combat with it being the only card in my hand, but yes, it is a really really bad topdeck. I might cut some number for other card draw, but if I ever do end up with Unearth in the main I will likely bump the number up again.
Speaking of Unearth, yes, the sideboard is more of a maybeboard; it's filled mostly with cards I enjoy playing in this strategy, or just don't have room for.
For more removal, I'll mix it up with an assortment of some of the cards you suggested.
Thanks so much for the suggestions Draly, I have virtually no experience with the legacy format so it's nice to have someone with insight to offer.
2 weeks ago
Always happy to see Sui-Black ! It used to be my deck of choice when I first started playing legacy competitively, it's a nice budget option for beginners. It has been a while since I last played it but I still have a good grasp of the format as a whole, so, if I may, I'd like to give you some advice. I think an ideal version deck can reach about 40% winrate when played perfectly (you probably won't win tournaments but you will not get destroyed either), but I also think yours may need a few tweaks. I'll try to be mindful of the budget constraint.
What strikes me when I look at your deck is the lack of interaction, one of the core components that makes Sui-Black viable in legacy is the access to efficient discard. If toughtseize is too expensive Duress and Inquisition of Kozilek can play the role just fine. I also don't think you should neglet Hymn to Tourach, on turn 2 it can sometimes be an instant win if for example you hit your opponents lands.
I'd get rid of Cremate and some number of Rouse and Aphotic Wisps, those cards simply don't do enough. Cremate, unless you know your meta is incredibly graveyard centric is too inconsenquential; yes it's card neutral but you still pay mana and tempo to essentially do nothing. If you still want to have access to this kind of effects for whatever reason I advise you to play Cling to Dust instead which can serve as card advantage later in the game. Regarding the other two, first you seem a little creature light to me, then they are an horrendous top deck, they open the door to 2-for-1s from your opponent and, even in the best case scenario, they're simply not that good. Rouse's kind of effects especially are usually not worth a card.
Similarly I don't really understand the presence of Village Rites... Your deck does not synergize with this kind of effects and I'm not sure you want to sac your already few creatures. If it's there to cash in targets of opposing removal, it's not really worth it. And, once again, terrible top deck. It's the kind of trap cards that feel good when they work but that we don't blame for losing because we usually don't think about what would have happened if we drew something else. You'd better be playing Sign in Blood (which also can double as a burn spell) or Cruel Bargain. Similarly I think Spoils of the Vault is somewhat of a trap too, but the card is both fun and unique enough that I won't complain :p
You could probably play more removal. There are the usual suspects Fatal Push, Dismember, Eliminate, Bloodchief's Thirst... But being mono-B you also have access to more niche options like Gatekeeper of Malakir, Geth's Verdict or even Spinning Darkness.
I won't touch on the SB too much, it needs to be tuned to your meta, but right now it looks more like a "maybe board" to me.
I hope you'll find this useful and I'd encourage you to take a look at this forum http://www.legacy-france.org/index.php?showtopic=13440&st=0 It's in french but decklists are in english and you may find interesting choices of cards in there. I especially like the first list, though it's a bit old and more on the controlling side than yours.
3 weeks ago
Love elves! +1 from me. I used to run a GW CoCo elves build that has a lot of crossover with your list. Some thoughts:
I used to like Fauna Shaman as a nice way to cash in redundant copies of Ezuri, Heritage Druid, other dorks, etc. In this deck, you actually have a much better target than I ever had with Shaman of the Pack. On a stalled board state, you can Fauna Shaman all your copies out turn by turn.
I also recommend a single copy of Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx if you have or can afford it. Obviously, you have plenty of other ways to generate lots of mana with elves, but I remember it could still come in handy.
For the sideboard, why not run Essence Warden in place of the Leylines? Sure, it's nice to have a free Leyline on turn 1, but at every other point, the Warden only costs 1 and it's another elf body. Better synergy overall.
Hope at least one of those things was useful! Regardless, thanks for a nice blast from the past. :)
3 weeks ago
EleshNornsFs Chances are, I'd try to abuse a manabase capable of supporting Tainted Pact, so you can run that and Demonic Consultation to make it easier to abuse the opposing Thassa's Oracle's you'll try to use. I assume cards that are instant speed removal would be useful, Disfigure, Dismember, Deadly Rollick, Fatal Push, Ulcerate, etc. to deal with opposing Drannith Magistrates and Opposition Agents. Dark Confidant, Necropotence, Ad Nauseam, and Bolas's Citadel can get you card advantage w/o drawing cards, and rituals like Dark Ritual and Cabal Ritual help get you the pieces together faster after a big draw turn. Remember with Opposition Agent, Instant Speed Removal, and instant speed rituals Necropotenceing for a lot could let you sort of storm off some decent number of cards on your endstep, not winning, but getting close to the lock.
3 weeks ago
jaymc1130 Tbh flash sorta sucks in an OP Agent meta xD
Path to Exile as well as Swords to Plowshares off will quite possibly be run a lot more together, and actually is really good of you and an opponent have OP Agents out, so you can remove theirs and steal a land simultaneously. Exiling removes Unearth/Reanimate shenanigans so white has a massive leg up in the removal category.
Rapid Hybridization/Pongify feel more akin to the red or black removal spells, and bounce is so-so, but obviously countermagic and steal effects are possibly the best ways to deal with OP Agent. Gilded Drake has gotten a ton better with cards like Kinnan, Breacher, and OP Agent being powerful options for any deck, often especially ones outside of the colors.
I think green decks like Yisan are the worst off, while Ulvenwald Tracker is probably the best, it doesn't have many options past that, so I think they are hurt by this shift a lot.
Edit: Trophy&path are may abilities, so it's not a free card.
3 weeks ago
People keep posting that you should run Lightning Bolt in your deck. As far as cheap removal goes there are plenty removal spells I’d rather run before I pick up Lightning Bolt. My picks include Dismember, Lightning Axe, Sinister Concoction, Weight of Spires, Go for the Throat, Terminate, Molten Vortex, and Heartless Act