|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Aether Revolt (AER)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
At the beginning of your upkeep, scry 1.
Whenever you cast a creature spell, you may pay . If you do, draw a card.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (31)||SoggyGecko , ZombieFood , Lindough , acbooster , SamCre1993 , KipIsKosher , bustinchops , Nemesis , fireborne1986 , Regulus1010 , thetechzombie , ecurps , Lucretian , jwitzleben , Vasbear1 , Zhorus_The_Bauqret , Jpegwun , lava_lava , AlucardZain , Spinalripper , Joblaska , Venser_the_Sojoner , silvereh , dplerner , MathieuHarvey0555 , JasYper , wizardpch , clayperce , Cazaz0816 , , snackeater|
|Want (35)||Imprisoned-Fire , notsaying , CaptianClueless , samuelianstorm , Salamanderx12 , Fergernuggets , Dr_Doomtrain , bbtancakes , TheScotch , MrSage , sleepy104 , MementoMuffin , Ryz , Warxuaroz , appledog , shootersam12 , Clawsun73 , Nerukad , Markwiz , Georgez96 , afeuling , esono , angelx , Hakira , absciss , CryAll , DeifiedExile , zgriffin1989 , NivStormfront , adb_slayer , vashaclarens , xXThormentXx , Va1mar , Killingfool , Loading_Error|
Lifecrafter's Bestiary Discussion
1 hour ago
See's he has Lifecrafter's Bestiary oops...
1 hour ago
2 days ago
3 days ago
Hey, when playing Llanowar Elves you want more than nine sources of green from lands that can ETB untapped turn one. You also don't want the same number of basic Mountains as Forests. Consistently you want to have a Forest more than a Mountain in your opening hand. Consider 9x Forests and 5x Mountains?
Consider moving Vine Mare to the sideboard replacing it with Jadelight Ranger? The tandem of explore Branchwalker and Jadelight is great with green, they help to find red sources of mana. They give green selection and card advantage in the early game.
I'm part of the 4x main deck Blossoming Defense crowd. I think the card is a huge reason to play green. It's very good vs red especially protecting against Chainwhirler's ETB or combat or Earthshaker/Crasher/Glorybringer's abilities. It's even better now because of Thorn Lieutenant. You're playing Hungering Hydra Defense is great to protect it; easier to get counters from damage on it when it's pumped and protected. Defense can also be a blowout for one mana against four mana Vraska's Contempt. Consider 4x Defense and 4x Abrade? Moving Spray to the sideboard?
Speaking of sideboard I don't see one. A big part of getting better at deck building is utilizing the sideboard. If you're playing in a specific meta at FNM then the sideboard will be much different than if you're planning it for an overall Standard meta. In my opinion the most important cards to plan for with the sideboard for an overall Standard meta are: Nicol Bolas, the Ravager Flip, Scrapheap Scrounger, Teferi, Hero of Dominaria, The Scarab God, Seal Away and Lyra Dawnbringer. 4x Abrade main deck helps a lot against a lot of threats in Standard like Chainwhirler, Siphoner, Grace/Malice, God-Pharaoh's Gift, Heart of Kiran, etc. 4x Defense main deck helps against all the two for one removal that's in Standard Glorybringer, Chandra and Teferi.
Good sideboard card options to consider (in no order):
- Magma Spray
- Chandra's Defeat
- Deathgorge Scavenger
- Reclamation Sage
- Chandra, Torch of Defiance
- Lifecrafter's Bestiary
- Vivien Reid
- Vine Mare
Good luck with your deck.
5 days ago
@Padbras Great questions. First off, let me say this: Xenagos, God of Revels is more consistent than Mayael the Anima. The deck wins faster and more reliably. Mayael is more for the kind of player who values the experience of playing as much as (or more than) they value winning. Some of the best Magic memories I have are flipping those top five cards, one at a time, just hoping to turn over that clutch blocker. That degree of randomness isn't for everybody, but it's how I most enjoy the game.
As to your follow up question, yes, I would definitely recommend running Mayael on a budget. Most of the money cards I run are for 1) mana base consistency and 2) topdeck filtering. Those make the deck more reliable, but they're not necessary for it to be functional. Also, the fatties you choose to run are easily tuned to any budget. There are plenty of sub-optimal inclusions that can fill the role of expensive cards and still make a splash on the board. Here's some easy changes you can make to slash hundreds of dollars off the price tag:
Alpha duals ==> Battlebond duals. This is a no brainer. Battlebond duals are almost as good, especially if you cut fetch lands.
Fetch lands ==> Pain lands, Larwyn filter lands, and Odyssey filter lands. Filters are just a notch below fetches for mana consistency. Pain lands are a notch below that.
Mirri's Guile, Sylvan Library, Sensei's Divining Top, Scroll Rack ==> Crystal Ball, Darksteel Pendant, Lifecrafter's Bestiary, Seer's Lantern. It's still really important to have some topdeck filtering. These will get the job done.
Tooth and Nail ==> Another 5+ power creature
Hope that helps!
5 days ago
If you want to see more consistency, I would suggest the following changes:
1) Implement a sideboard
2) Move Reclamation Sage to the side board, it is ok to have a single one main, but it is very underwhelming when it has no targets.
3) I think Nissa, Vital Force is better in the sideboard and best brought in against control.
4) Vivien Reid is a great mainboard card and up her to at least 2 of.
5) Adventurous Impulse should be a 4 of main deck because it is never a bad top deck and is very good early game at finding your next land or finding your next creature. It smooths out the curve.
6) Greenwheel Liberator is very underwhelming in this particular build because it is harder for you to trigger Revolt yourself. Whereas Narnam Renegade is very good because of the keyword "Deathtouch" and is only 1 CMC.
7) I think Song of Freyalise is underwhelming because it takes a while for it to "Go Off" and you really aren't ramping to anything that costs that much. Maybe move it down to a 1 or 2 of.
8) I like Lifecrafter's Bestiary but move it to the sideboard and side in against midrange and control. You want to be fast and hit the ground and go very wide.
9) Your listed "Maybeboard" has some good cards, in particular, the one that stands out as the best option is Heroic Intervention and it should be in your deck, somewhere in the 75. At least a 1 or 2 of in the sideboard. Shapers' Sanctuary is a great card for this type of build, if you can fit some number after all is said in done, I would say 1 or 2 of would be best fit for it somewhere in the 75.
10) I also would like to see some number of Blossoming Defense in the deck. It does not have to be a 4 of. But maybe a 2 of somewhere in the 75. Just don't know if I like it in the maindeck or not.
That's what I got for now. Best of luck.
6 days ago
Thanks for the suggestions. I played with it tonight with some proxies with the Radiant Destiny and it made a big difference. I feel like I need more protection for my creatures, so I put a playset of Blossoming Defense. I may also go up another Lifecrafter's Bestiary to get it in my hand more often. When I had it out it both abilities made a huge difference.
6 days ago
I dig it. I just finished my Vaevictis list as well. He's incredibly powerful in Brawl. Here are some cards that I would recommend you find a slot for:
The Scorpion God is the non-commander MVP. It gives you board presence (6/5), a mana-sink value engine (-1/-1 counters for cards), and recursion - what else could you possibly ask for?
Torment of Hailfire is the best "I win the game" card in the Brawl format, bar none. I will be soooooo sad when it rotates. It literally represents over 50% of my wins with my Angrath, the Flame-Chained deck.
If Vaevictis is on the board, Dead Man's Chest represents awesome card advantage because you can so reliably destroy whatever creature you attach it to.