: Gain .
, Sacrifice a creature: Gain .
|Have (2)||, metalmagic|
|Want (6)||AvarkusMagic , poopsmith3000 , OukenMarzz , gmead007 , Teurf , TheDangalangMan|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Phyrexian Tower occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Phyrexian Tower Discussion
1 month ago
Hey Jack_83 I used to run Phyrexian Tower but found the decks low land count punished me for running lots of colorless land and have generally found my self not wanting to sacrifice to be able generate black even if it is extra. However, if I boost my land count I would definitely run it then. On second thought I may replace High Market, I might need to rethink my lands a bit.
1 month ago
Thanks for your comment. I am very happy about such comments, as it is difficult to keep an eye on every possible combination with over a thousand commanders, especially with such a commander like Ishkanah, which you don't meet in your LGS every day. Thanks to your comment, I can see more of the potential of Ishkanah. I you want to tune up your deck, I have some recommendations for that:
I would exchange:
- Panharmonicon has only 3 targets + your commander... I think that's not efficien enough I would rather play this beast of a card: Ohran Frostfang because this card converts your spiders into carddrawing killer spiders.
- Far Wanderings for Cultivate because it's more reliable and effective
- Vessel of Nascency for Jarad's Orders because this card is just a perfect tutor for decks like this
- Blood for Bones for Victimize
- Is Witchbane Orb one of your meta picks, because a lot of your opponents play curses or burn? If not, I would rather play more carddraw because you have to less of it in your deck. Play Sylvan Library (or Phyrexian Arena) instead
- Drown in Filth with either another good removal like Abrupt Decay; Caustic Caterpillar; Plaguecrafter (Force of Despair, Darkblast, Snuff Out, Force of Vigor, Tragic Slip etc.)
- Cut 2 Forests and a Swamp for Bala Ged Recovery Flip, Khalni Ambush Flip & Hagra Mauling Flip
- Grapple with the Past for Fiend Artisan/Phyrexian Arena/Opposition Agent
- Entomb for any other tutor like Demonic, Vampiric, Grim Worldly Tutor etc. or Buried Alive
I would play as many cool utility lands with a sacrifice effect and as many fetch lands as possible because they're needed for Delirium and have also great potential with the MVP in every graveyard deck Life from the Loam:
- Evolving Wilds/Terramorphic Expanse/Ash Barrens/Jund Panorama
- Prismatic Vista/Verdant Catacombs; Windswept Heath/Wooded Foothills/Bloodstained Mire etc. (If they're out of budget, you just can play the cool and cheaper utility lands and you'll be fine) Other cool lands: Grim Backwoods!!; Geier Reach Sanitarium, Drownyard Temple Phyrexian Tower, Emergence Zone, Haunted Fengraf, Buried Ruin I would also add Deserted Temple because it can produce together with Cabal Coffers + Rings of Brighthearth infinite black mana.
Carddraw or Cardadvantage:
- Ohran Frostfang!!
- Driven / Despair!!
- Sylvan Library!!
- Night's Whisper
- Lifecrafter's Bestiary
- Phyrexian Arena!!
- Journey to Eternity Flip
- Phyrexian Reclamation
- Fauna Shaman/Birthing Pod/Fiend Artisan/Survival of the Fittest/Yisan, the Wanderer Bard
Other good finishers/ combo pieces:
- Altar of the Brood / Blood Artist / Zulaport Cutthroat
- Craterhoof Behemoth or the budget version: End-Raze Forerunners / Overrun
- Triumph of the Hordes
Well, I'm sure that you already know what other options there are to tune up the deck. If you want to win consitenly I would add more ways to produce infinte mana like Nim Deathmantle + Priest of Gix + Ashnod's Altar or Magus of the Coffers + Staff of Domination OR another unigue and complicated way to filter infinite colorless mana with Basalt Monolith + Rings of Brighthearth is together with Mirage Mirror and a Swamp...
To make the whole thing more consistent you have play all green and black tutors, play fast mana like the Moxes, Mana Crypt/-Vault, Manadorks (Elvish Mystic/Elves of Deep Shadow/Llanowar Elves etc. and pack some premium removal in the deck to raise the power level. If you're interested we can brew a fringe competetive list together.
1 month ago
Gobo-Sharpie I'm glad you like the deck! Witch's Cauldron would definitely be nice in the deck for some better card draw and the life gain would be nice in the slower games. Phyrexian Tower seems pretty good but this deck needs a lot of colored mana for it's creatures so I don't think it would be super useful until later in the game. Assault Strobe seems fun and it could be a powerful finisher. I'll play around with with the cards you recommended and see what I like. Thank you for the suggestions!
1 month ago
I really like your deck :)
Phyrexian Tower let's you also get more mileage out of your creatures after having used them and is a land.
Assault Strobe could be nice too to.
2 months ago
I definitely did consider Burnt Offering and Phyrexian Tower. Those are cards that I actually need to test more and I should probably move them into the maybeboard. When I was writing the primer, I completely forgot to include them. Priest of the forgotten gods is an interesting one since it functions as draw, removal, and mana production. It's one I haven't thought to actually utilize much since I like most of my sacrificial abilities to be on the fly, but it's lower CMC might merit it an actual spot.
2 months ago
Have you considered Culling the Weak, Infernal Plunge, Burnt Offering, Phyrexian Tower and/or Priest of Forgotten Gods? Mana producers that also play the sac theme. You're already running Phyrexian Altar, these would be an extension of that.
2 months ago
Lokotor, thanks for the suggestions. Very helpful.
I have recently found myself with more haste enablers on board than I need. Urabrask the Hidden would be the first one I cut. Crashing Drawbridge has been great to protect Marchesa early since it can come down before her and allows her to get a +1+1 counter immediately.
The avg. CMC shows artificially high because of Blasphemous Act. It is actually closer to 3.3 CMC for what I usually cast Blasphemous Act for. That said, lowering the avg. CMC even more is a work in progress. Balancing efficiency with the Timmy in me has always been a challenge...
I have plenty of card draw in this deck, so churning through my library and hitting land drops has worked well with 35 lands, though 36 would feel better. There are actually 9 sources of ramp in here, NOT including the Phyrexian Altar, Ashnod's Altar or Phyrexian Tower.
The real value I find with Sidisi, Undead Vizier and Rune-Scarred Demon is the ability to recur them to keep tutoring for answers or win cons once they’re on the battlefield. My meta is a little slower and our games tend to go long. Rune does double duty on attacks as a flyer and Sidisi does double duty as a sac outlet.
I have added Scroll of Fate to my short list. I’ll start testing that one.