: Gain . Ancient Tomb deals 2 damage to you.
|Want (13)||GerGrunT , Strygwyr , samandeville , dasos , aagimar , ThreeOhEight , Darui , MarcusTheGreat , Forkbeard , wtchandler7 , Extzy , amitgd , bensmith19|
Printings View all
|Zendikar Rising: Expeditions (ZNE)||Mythic Rare|
|Ultimate Masters (UMA)||Rare|
|Ultimate Masters Promo (UMAP)||Mythic Rare|
|Zendikar Expeditions (EXP)||Mythic Rare|
|Vintage Masters (VMA)||Mythic Rare|
|From the Vault: Realms (V12)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Ancient Tomb Discussion
7 hours ago
- Sylvan Library: after reading and rereading Valakut Exploration again and again I am just solidly convinced that in this deck that Valakut Exploration is just better in every way except cost and fixing for mana to play it in early game.
- Avenger of Zendikar: After much thought I just think Scute Swarm just plays a lot better due to it's lower CMC and greater value over time.
- Nissa, Vastwood Seer Flip: As a value engine it's underwhelming. It plays to the theme but you're only really upticking Nissa for the +1 on a vulnerable body (planeswalkers usually don't last very long in any multiplayer game).
- Valakut Exploration: Just a better Sylvan Library in this deck, I completely misread this at first thinking that the ability to play was tied to the enchantment being on the battlefield but even if this gets removed you can still play things exiled with it. All around a good card (also sweet art).
- Scute Swarm: The ability to effectively double its number with every landfall is a very enticing prospect. Less explosive than Avenger of Zendikar and you will have to time landfalls to get around summoning sickness (also sweet art).
- Bala Ged Recovery Flip: Graveyard recursion/land, I really want to give this a try as second Eternal Witness that also doubles as a land, not fetchable and can't be tutored with Traverse the Ulvenwald so I don't expect a massive performance bump, but redundancy of such a key effect is always welcome.
- Ancient Tomb: Early game mana, you don't take damage while a Glacial Chasm is out, all in all just a way to get going.
Umming and Erring
- Valakut Awakening Flip: Instant speed hand refresh. Would be much better as a discard effect. Not sure if this is worth it or what it would replace.
- Cragcrown Pathway Flip: When I looked over the land base I just think that since these cards don't have a basic land type, that they're not that good. They're not fetchable and don't add anything new to the deck.
- Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle: I've wanted to add this back into the deck since Dryad of the Ilysian Grove was printed. It adds the ability to bolt and could be an effective utility land, however there's the issue of figuring out which utility land would be cut to fit it in.
1 day ago
Ancient Tomb, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Scalding Tarn, Misty Rainforest, Prismatic Vista, Verdant Catacombs, Polluted Delta, Flooded Strand and Snow-Covered Islands would all bolster consistency and give you a tad more ramp/attrition - though all of this comes in at a few morgage payments unless your group lets you proxy.
Gilded Drake - for the cost of a used Nintendo switch you can make commander dependent decks salty and sad every time :)
Anyways, hope that helped some :)
2 days ago
Tome of Legends - Draw
Scroll Rack - Top deck manipulation
Outpost Siege > Vance's Blasting Cannons as vance doesn't let you play lands, nor will you be able to chain enough spells to make it flip
Ignite the Future - "Draw" - Works well with top deck manipulation. I like to tap top in response that way I know I can always cast top since it's cheap
Light Up the Stage - See above
Chandra, Torch of Defiance - Good stuff, ramp, card draw, removal and wincon all in 1
Dualcaster Mage - Utility
Command Beacon - Utility
Ancient Tomb > Temple of False
Since you already run experimental frenzy and top, have you thought of adding or switching OG Ugin to Ugin, the Ineffable? Ugin Ineff + Top + Experimental = Draw your whole deck. Each piece is good on it's own as well.
Wayfarer's Bauble - Ramp
Mind Stone - Ramp when you need it, card draw when you don't. Can also use it to draw your top deck if you can see it, that way you have a potentially better cast trigger off of Etali
Hall of the Bandit Lord - Expensive, but haste is haste if you want redundancy
Blast Zone - Another way to deal with enchantments that doesn't take up a slot
2 days ago
This deck is pretty low to the ground for Xenagos, good job.
Yavimaya Hollow - Protection
Ancient Tomb > Temple of False
Bonders' Enclave > Sanctum of Eternity - Is the reason it's in your deck to prevent opponents from removing Xenagos during your turn prior to combat? I don't see the use of it in this deck. Perhaps I'm missing something.
Turntimber, Serpentine Wood > Forest - The additional utility it provides late game is key for when you're topdecking/out of gas
Raging Ravine - Manland that can be used as a creature to place a draw effect under late game
Dread Statuary - See above - Or not given your dorks and you want to limit colorless mana?
Myriad Landscape - Ramp - Same issue as above?
Skullclamp - Not 100% sold on it, but I think it could work here given your dorks which can be used as draw for late game, or helps you draw cards when your beaters die.
Berserk - Malignus says hi! Also, works on opposing creatures too. If opponent A attacks opponent B, you can kill their creature and deal extra damage to opponent B. Although I like using it on my beaters or Selvala heart of the wilds for extra ramp.
Deflecting Swat - Counter counterspells, redirect targeted removal(biggest issue in Xenagos so you don't get 2 for 1ed), targeted draw/extra turns, abilities, etc... Too much utility and for free.
Heroic Intervention - Protection for beaters
Life's Legacy - Draw
Harmonize - Draw
Green Sun's Zenith - Tutor for the beater you need to the battlefield
I count 5 sources of draw in this deck, 2 of which are unimpactful, 1 of which is unreliable, the other 2 are good. Do you often find yourself running out of gas quickly especially given your lower CMC?
You run embercleave but no Godo, Bandit Warlord???
5 days ago
Kiran_M, really cool design. Seems a little too strong tapping for though since at that point it's just Ancient Tomb except with no downside and an additional upside. Make it add only one , and it's awesome!
1 week ago
1 week ago
1 week ago
Now about your mana-base! I would eventually consider adding some of the following lands/ramp cards!
- Windswept Heath
- Temple Garden
- Razorverge Thicket
- Wooded Bastion
- Sunpetal Grove
- Fortified Village
- Canopy Vista
- Horizon Canopy
- Bountiful Promenade
- Sungrass Prairie
- MAYBE City of Brass and Mana Confluence
- Ancient Tomb
- Prismatic Vista
- Strip Mine
- Exotic Orchard
- Reflecting Pool
- Nature's Lore
- Selesnya Signet
- Kodama's Reach
- Birds of Paradise
- Sylvan Caryatid
- Emerald Medallion/Pearl Medallion
- Lotus Petal