: Add to your mana pool.
: Each player gains control of all creatures he or she owns.
|Have (2)||DoctorScarf ,|
|Want (4)||vane000 , darthbanana , KillKid20095 , backpack69|
Printings View all
|Commander 2016 (C16)||Rare|
|Commander 2013 (C13)||Rare|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Homeward Path Discussion
6 days ago
I, myself, have no particular fondness for the talismans (Talisman of Impulse, Talisman of Dominance, and so forth), but I know that some players are fond of them, so I would like to see the allied-colored talismans reprinted, with new artwork and flavor text, to make them consistent with the enemy-colored talismans from Modern Horizons.
Homeward Path has not been reprinted in some time, so I would like to see it reprinted, again, to keep its price low.
2 weeks ago
2 weeks ago
You are solving the wrong problem. You have 2 issues in Xenagos, Removal in response to a burst draw spell, and for you, Graveyard shenanigans.
To deal with card draw, greater good must go in. You're only sacrificing your creature if it's being targetted, and most of the time people will hold removal for Xenagos if they know what they are doing. As such, you are making their removal less impactful and you get to draw.
If they use your own creatures against you, why not slot in a Homeward Path? It fits in the landbase easily, is cheap and is one of many solutions. Grave hate can also be found in Scavenger Grounds amoung other 0-1 cost artifacts I can recomend should you wish.
Adding both of these will help with grave hate and your creatures getting stolen.
I recomend you cuts for everything if you are having a hard time with slots, easily.
3 weeks ago
Profet93: To be honest, Strip Mine is not that prevalent in cEDH meta, at least in my experience. However, I wouldn't care too much if I lose something to any kind of hate. The deck is modal enough to shift gears. Ashaya, Soul of the Wild comes with its weaknesses, BUT it comes with a buttload strengths that far outweigh its downsides. This card also just supplements Temur Sabertooth by making the deck less reliant on him. Plus, we have Quirion Ranger (soon Scryb Ranger) to bounce it in a pinch.
I didn't know who you were on my discord, or I could've addressed all of these questions for you. Lmk who you are and I'd be happy to address any concerns or questions you might have.
Gemstone Caverns: Helps me EVERY time it's in my opening hand and I'm not first. It's a mild nuisance any other time. That alone is worth it and a VITAL part of the deck. We have a subpar general, we need all the speed we can get to keep up. This slot essential and most definitely optimal.
Blast Zone: The current density of colorless Mana is at the brink of overwhelming me with unusable Mana and I can't risk it for a symmetrical wipe that could hurt me unless I'm comboing out. It has applications and it COULD be useful, but I wouldn't run it in this version. Perhaps the budget version for sure. I'd put in Homeward Path before this though, as Gilded Drake is a constant threat.
Heroic Intervention: Love it, I want it, but I have Veil of Summer in that spot. I can't afford to remove something for a protection piece, even it's that great. However, if you find that your meta warrants this card, then by all means, run it. It's a helluva card and it's bound to help.
Duskwatch Recruiter Flip: Has been absolutely necessary and the second best outlet in the deck. When we get infinite we are in reality trying to assemble: Ulvenwald Tracker, Shaman of Forgotten Ways, and Thousand-Year Elixir. To do this we need Genesis Hydra, but we don't want to draw into the Elixir. Duskwatch Recruiter Flip gets us Genesis Hydra without drawing into it. Also allows me to re order the ENTIRE library to avoid certain pieces. It digs quite effectively and with Seedborn Muse it's insane. The cost reducer is actually quite great in early turns, since we can land drop and not cast anything, since we do it on other turns. It's a digger, outlet, cost reducer, and a fail-safe on a 2 mana creature.
1 month ago
If you're playing in Simic colors there's no real good reason to run Gilded Drake or Legacy's Allure in this card slot these days. Both of these options are far more limited in functionality as they can only handle commander specific issues while Oko, Thief of Crowns can handle an astoundingly wide array of situations, threats, and hate pieces. Homeward Path that's often run as a solution to theft effects essentially becomes a dead card slot in the decks that do run it when a commander is elked rather than stolen. Allure is extremely slow as an answer taking several turns to accumulate counters and an absolutely awful choice to take into opposing commanders such as Zur, Gitrog, or Kess. The Drake, meanwhile is a very poor answer to most partner commanders, particularly opposing Tymna decks that won't at all mind killing their own stolen Tymna and then beating your face in with the gifted evasive card advantage machine so kindly bestowed upon them. Neither Allure or Drake is a win condition in their own right, while a looped Oko is a win condition in the exact same way a looped Swan Song is a reliable win condition. The only downside for Oko in comparison to these other 2 options for that card slot in competitive decks in Simic colors is that Oko is slightly harder to tutor for by not being a creature, enchantment, or 2 cmc spell, and this is almost never relevant anyways.
Why it takes so long for the community to come around to these things is something that always mystifies me, but in this case particularly so. If you're in Simic colors Oko has been a clear and massive upgrade in that card slot and role for almost a year now and yet I see "competitive" lists in Simic colors running either of the other options over Oko more often than anything else.
So, I guess the question is: what is it that causes players to stick to clearly, objectively worse choices when the intention is to be as competitive as possible? Is it a nostalgia thing? Is it a comfort thing? Is it a herd mentality thing? Is it a "look at my ancient rare card for bragging rights" thing? I'm genuinely curious why it takes so long for these types of changes to take root as the standard option.
1 month ago
EleshNornsFs - The protections are the big thing, though the creature is nice in case I run into sac effects like Plaguecrafter. I actually do have both Giver of Runes and Mother of Runes and I can fetch them up with Ranger-Captain of Eos or the more flexible Recruiter of the Guard. (With only three CMC1 creatures, I'm not sure how much I'd like Ranger of Eos; I'm not sure it does enough for 4 mana). Thank you for the suggestion!
DuTogira - wow, I completely forgot about Umezawa's Jitte. I was a modern player (I only play casually now) so I've always thought of that card as "off limits." But that's a great suggestion! And the price isn't so bad either; it's cheaper than most of the Mirran Swords.
My commander is Avacyn, Angel of Hope, and so I do think the protection from blue is relevant as most creature theft spells are in blue, and having her stolen would be disastrous, though I have some exile removal and Homeward Path. Do you think creature theft would be relevant here? Is this the best way to go about stopping it?
I also like how the protections make her unblockable against the appropriate colors, as with such a large commander, commander damage is a very viable wincon, and it helps get Worldslayer through, too.
Peligrad - Sure! I was mostly focused on the "mill 10" portion of the sword as part of a general discussion, but ultimately, I do want to improve the deck and it seems that the strength of Sword of Body and Mind is much more context-dependent anyway, especially compared to the other swords. Thank you for the offer!
The deck is here:
Commander / EDH
1 VIEW | IN 1 FOLDER
Previously, this build was listed as "private" up until today as I ironed things out, so please excuse the hastily written description.
1 month ago
Thank you so much for your comment Profet93! Super helpful :)
Your first point about lowering land counts and dropping Molten Vortex for a few draw engine sounds like a superb idea!
A lot of cool sugestions will give you my thoughts about them!
- Endless Atlas A great one, that I even have a copy of, I see no reason not to add it :)
- Hedron Archive Not sure sure about this one, it seems a bit expensive at 4 mana. It looks like it would be more used as ramp than draw no?
- Humble Defector This sounds like a fun one! Can even steal it back with Confusion in the Ranks even without Homeward Path (which have some anti-synergy with Confusion). Will definitely pick it up.
- Ignite the Future/Light Up the Stage are very interesting cards, but I would be afraid not to be able to cast what ever I exile or for it to be lands, would need access to at least 8 mana to be able to cast it, feels a bit too slow. Not super sold on these two :)
- Mind's Eye Expensive as you say but will be worth it if the game will drag on, will be looking to picking this one up together with the Honor-Worn Shaku
- Solemn Simulacrum have a few of these laying around, not sure why I never put one it. Will do it until I find something to replace it with. :)
- Wheel of Fortune/Wheel of Fate/Reforge the Soul/Magus of the Wheel, of Fortune is not within my price range, it is almost as much as the rest of the deck combined. I might pick the Magus of the Wheel however as a cheap alternative.
- Curse of Opulence Such a evil card! A lot of my group either play decks that benefit a lot from ramp or who need a lot of mana. So I fear this would help them more than me, I will definitely put it on my list to pick it up if I see one cheap though. Cause I do want to try it.
- Dockside Extortionist Strong card! But unfortunately a bit to expensive, will put it on my "buy on a bargain" list though!
- Mind Stone will put in this one, like it more than the Hedron Archive as you can drop it a lot faster.
- Ruby Medallion Neat, will be looking to picking one up
- Sword of the Animist That's true! It basically reads "Pay 2, Put a land from your library into the battlefield tapped", will be looking to adding this one too for sure!
- Tough one, $15 is about what I am prepared to put down on a single card, if it isn't a win con or simply a "must have", I wouldn't say this is either but it is strong and versatile so will probably pick it up if I can.
- Etali, Primal Storm Aww, I just bought this guy for my Xenagos' Dudes goes Face deck where he can get instant value, maybe I should have picked up two of them. My fear here is that it's can be a bit too slow to have to wait another turn to be able to attack with it.
- Sunbird's Invocation Insane card. At the point I can put this down the game is either over or would be over in a few turns. Most of the cards in the deck needs a few turns to actually do something so even though this card is insane it might be too late?
- Sensei's Divining Top Love this card so much, but unfortunately a bit too expensive. It's on the "Get it on a bargain" list :)
- Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle It's also a bit too much to put on a card that is only going to ping for 3. If I had a few more ways to put out lands each turn it could be worth the 20$
- Chain Reaction Good idea, will replace it when I find one
- Nevinyrral's Disk Will be looking to pick one up!
- Blast Zone Looks to be a bit slow? Will pick one up anyhow and test run it
- Terror of the Peaks Yeah, wanted this in Norin as soon as I saw it. It have been dropping in price in my local market so will be looking to picking a couple up for my decks soon.
Again thank you so much for your comment, it have been super helpful.
I am super interested in hearing your thoughts about cuts to the deck. Like what you think is too weak or doesn't fit. :)
1 month ago
Why isn't Norin listed as your commander? In any case, I have a couple ideas...
Molten Vortex - I get the concept behind this card with your high land count, but rather hope to draw this card as you are flooding your deck with a high land count and less draw, why not increase your draw and lower your land count a bit? This way, you are less reliant upon top decking and card find an easier time to maintain gas in the mid-late game. Draw ideas are as follows...
Endless Atlas - Comes down early, cheap to use, only 2nd to tome of legends but very worthwhile nevertheless
Hedron Archive - Acts as ramp when you need it and card draw when you don't. Pretty useful
Ignite the Future/Light Up the Stage - Unlike cathartic reunion which provides virtual card advantage by giving you a better choice of cards, ignite the future provides actual card advantage. Plus, flashing it back is nice when you have ran out of gas. Light up the stage is nice, especially in your build which focuses on little damage accumulating since it can be played even cheaper. Both are highly recommended.
Mind's Eye -While expensive to cast, helps ensure gas in mid-late game. Goes well with Honor-Worn Shaku which should also be added as a strictly better wornpowerstone in this deck, because with Norin + Eye + Shaku, you can tap Norin each upkeep to untap Shake and use it to fuel mind's eye for card draw. Not to mention tapping down purphorous and your planeswalker to ramp feels good too
Solemn Simulacrum - Not necessary but a good staple in most mono red/white builds given it provides you with what you need, card draw and ramp.
Now that we have discussed card draw, it is time to help you ramp out your goals more quickly....
Curse of Opulence - Politics, and ramp with Norin that can start as early as T3. Very helpful. Don't forget, you can use the treasure tokens it makes with goblin welder to bring back an artifact!
Dockside Extortionist - Comes down early, makes lots of mana, very powerful card especially in the right meta. Highly recommended.
Mind Stone - Ramp when you need it, card draw when you don't. Its a baby hedron archive
Ruby Medallion - Ramp, plain and simple
Sword of the Animist - Imagine Norin with the sword attacking and then running away to get a land. Very fun!
There is more ramp but this should be a decent help given your CMC is low enough already despite the chaos cards, especially for a Norin build! Kudos to that! Now let's discuss some utility...
Chandra, Torch of Defiance - Ramp, removal, draw and wincon all in 1. Don't sleep on this card
Etali, Primal Storm - What chaos deck doesn't love the chaos dino? It can be a wincon on its own!
Sunbird's Invocation - This card reads, if you don't destroy me, I win in the next few turns. The amount of value this card brings is insane
Sensei's Divining Top - Top deck filter and a rare draw when you need to dig a little deeper.
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle - Highly recommended with all of your mountains
Lastly we should discuss removal....
Chain Reaction > Storm's Wrath - There are usually many creatures in EDH and this just destroys them all instead of the weaker ones.
Nevinyrral's Disk - I see no way for you to deal with enchantments, having one reset button is crucial in case things get out of hand.
Blast Zone - Another option to deal with enchantments or pesky permanents that fits its way into the land base
Terror of the Peaks - Newest addition to any Norin deck. Synergy and power blended together at a fair CMC.
I have other suggestions and ideas for cuts should you wish. Be sure to let me know what you think of each suggestion. Looking forward to your response.